• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playoffs 2019-2020 |OT|

So where’s Giannis gonna go in free agency? I don’t think he stays in Milwaukee. Next year’s free agent class will be the greatest in history. Giannis, LeBron, Davis, Kawhi, George headlining. Chris Paul on an expiring contract. I can’t wait to see where they all end up, the team ups, etc.

But back to Giannis, the teams I think have a shot at him:
Bucks
Lakers
Warriors
Heat
Blazers
Mavericks

Dthomp

Giannis isn't going anywhere, he seems to like Milwaukee and he doesn't seem like a coward like KD needing to chase a ring 10 minutes into his career. I miss the days when fans weren't begging superstars to pack their bags and join other guys. ESPN will always want to make it seem like everybody is leaving for ratings but it isn't happening this offseason. AD COULD want to go home, but will the NBA allow a young star like him to leave LA and Lebron for Chicago? That's a tough one to see happening, I don't see a world where Kawai or PG leave the Clippers. You aren't getting a better head coach and situation or payday then that. PG3 easily leaves OKC, I loved watching an older version of New Orleans PG3, but he's too old to play out his last couple seasons with rookies so he'll be the biggest "jump" in free agency if you want to call it a jump

vpance

Lakers have no perimeter threats that are remotely consistent, they can’t spread the defense and Lebron and AD aren’t rim protection guys that beat you up, which you need. I think the Rockets are going to expose that in a major way. Can’t stand either team, hopefully the Heat will continue to work these doughnuts.

Lebron: "Save us JR. You're our only hope".

Dthomp

I was thinking the same thing. Without him, they play as a team. When he's playing, give him the ball and watch.

So is Giannis to blame for that, or the coaching staff who decides the offense and how it's run? I legit don't know anymore, I think alot of current coaches are overrated and rely too much on just giving the superstar the ball and hoping he just bails them out. Let us not forget, the greatest player of all time playing within one of the greatest offensive systems of all time. Bucks need to evolve sets that aren't give Giannis the ball at the top of the key and get out of the way, it's a waste of his talent and puts everyone else around him into spectator mode since he's not a gifted playmaker for them the way a natural PG running the show would be. Get him a CP3 somehow and run pick and rolls all day long with these shooters out there and watch him thrive

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So is Giannis to blame for that, or the coaching staff who decides the offense and how it's run? I legit don't know anymore, I think alot of current coaches are overrated and rely too much on just giving the superstar the ball and hoping he just bails them out. Let us not forget, the greatest player of all time playing within one of the greatest offensive systems of all time. Bucks need to evolve sets that aren't give Giannis the ball at the top of the key and get out of the way, it's a waste of his talent and puts everyone else around him into spectator mode since he's not a gifted playmaker for them the way a natural PG running the show would be. Get him a CP3 somehow and run pick and rolls all day long with these shooters out there and watch him thrive
Basketball is totally a player skewed game.

A team can be a 25-55 loser. They draft a top pick and he's good. Suddenly next year the team is 50-30 and makes the playoffs. There is no way the coaches magically turned great over the summer.

A 12 player team where the top 5 players (maybe 6 if you include the 6th man) play around 30+ minutes each only takes a couple great players to be good. Depending on the team, 1 superstar could be enough to get into the playoffs. Lebron James was a one man show in his early Cav years.

Other sports like football, basketball and hockey are more team based. You could have many studs and even the MVP or Cy Young pitchers and there's a half decent chance the team still misses the playoffs unless the rest of the team is decent too.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Just me joking around when the Rockets retook the lead.
Oh lol, thought you saw something that wasn’t right. I missed the first three min into the third; took a walk and stretched some during halftime

What you think overall? I’m nervous, Westbrook is having trouble and this team is still right with us all game. HOU has some reliable players, if Westbrook can find his rhythm and play a little better then Lakers are going to need to fight every moment on the floor

Covington is looking good out there just a side note. Houston is his home now for sure

I think even if the Rockets advance they'll get bounced. Failed to run plays to penetrate the defense and finish at the rim in crunch. Lobbed a bunch of 3's that bricked. D'Antoni is such a fool he couldn't even call a play in the midst of it all, whether by hand gesture or with a timeout. That man for me will forever be the shitstain that ran Kobe Bryant to the ground. Just awful low IQ basketball for a big stretch of the 4th. Lakers are beatable cause Lebron is a corpse of his former self. Lebron's shot selection tells a lot. On the bright side doubling and shading Davis is the right call and was done very well for stretches. Westbrook had a shit game that's why the Rockets lost. Harden choked a bit as well, as usual - camping at the 3 point line, dancing around, waiting for the shading and double teams - instead of pushing b4 the defense sets. Logically the goal there is to wait for the double team then hot-potato the ball around to find the open 3-pt shooter but that didn't work out too well. The key is mixing it up, and they failed at doing that.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
So where’s Giannis gonna go in free agency? I don’t think he stays in Milwaukee. Next year’s free agent class will be the greatest in history. Giannis, LeBron, Davis, Kawhi, George headlining. Chris Paul on an expiring contract. I can’t wait to see where they all end up, the team ups, etc.

But back to Giannis, the teams I think have a shot at him:
Bucks
Lakers
Warriors
Heat
Blazers
Mavericks

aU3SuuIG_ntuuillKKZmpbKt0AyD35wgMuczuPbxCvx57H3cKSKEfZJPs4crqejZ1-LcNXQ3AATw9QgBC-seRRk35OusvltFPv1diJXvJwfHgH2-_6d2CHr_7ks7m1_KlmQ-YuwlPraQLY1KROn21CU5bYPn9GrpwUysIk3cMuUtA-DVVLjzVfvbw6S2GPGfZTO9jCnc6PU-S_3z5UnPTXDntWMfUe4P

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Giannis isn't going anywhere, he seems to like Milwaukee and he doesn't seem like a coward like KD needing to chase a ring 10 minutes into his career. I miss the days when fans weren't begging superstars to pack their bags and join other guys. ESPN will always want to make it seem like everybody is leaving for ratings but it isn't happening this offseason. AD COULD want to go home, but will the NBA allow a young star like him to leave LA and Lebron for Chicago? That's a tough one to see happening, I don't see a world where Kawai or PG leave the Clippers. You aren't getting a better head coach and situation or payday then that. PG3 easily leaves OKC, I loved watching an older version of New Orleans PG3, but he's too old to play out his last couple seasons with rookies so he'll be the biggest "jump" in free agency if you want to call it a jump

I want to believe but I'm having a hard time imagining him staying in Milwaukee just based on player trends ever since Lebron "took his talents to South Beach". Everyone wants to pair up with other superstars and I can't imagine anyone wanting to come to Milwaukee.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Yes, LeBron was the first one to ever team up with other players. No one did it before him.

There are a million articles on google if you look up “Superteam Era” and most all of them pinpoint Lebron starting the trend in 2010. I’m hardly the only person claiming this.

Doesn’t mean it didn’t exist prior to then on occasion but there clearly has been acceleration since then.

I never saw Brad that fired up. He had crazy eyes all game. He didn't want to win, he wanted to MURDER the Raptors. What a defensive MASTERCLASS tonight by everyone, there are not enough words to describe how amazing Theis and Smart were on this one.

highrider

Banned
Russell Westbrook fucking sucks.

He’s kind of like Giannis in that they both are explosive but they have no consistent outside shots, Giannis at least can drop a 3 but has no mid range or low post move set. Westbrook is further made worse when he shoots poorly because he doesn’t stop, just keeps launching bricks, turns the ball over trying to drive with no escape pass or fall back, just bad decisions.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
He’s kind of like Giannis in that they both are explosive but they have no consistent outside shots, Giannis at least can drop a 3 but has no mid range or low post move set. Westbrook is further made worse when he shoots poorly because he doesn’t stop, just keeps launching bricks, turns the ball over trying to drive with no escape pass or fall back, just bad decisions.

It's weird because Westbrook used to have that pull up from the free throw line elbow in his bag.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Jokic passive in late in the 4th when his team needed him. Should have taken the lead but he hesitated and passed it off to his teammates. Hit that one floater straight away but it was too late by then, they needed that to happen at least two plays prior

bender

What time is it?
Jokic passive in late in the 4th when his team needed him. Should have taken the lead but he hesitated and passed it off to his teammates. Hit that one floater straight away but it was too late by then, they needed that to happen at least two plays prior

He's weird. I was at the Mavs/Nuggets game last year where Doncic tied the game with a dunk and the Jokic hit the game winner at the buzzer. I swear he took less than 10 shots total that game.

Cutty Flam

Banned
He's weird. I was at the Mavs/Nuggets game last year where Doncic tied the game with a dunk and the Jokic hit the game winner at the buzzer. I swear he took less than 10 shots total that game.
Solid game to be at. What was it like watching Doncic play as a rookie live???

He’s one of my favorite players, Jokic, but I’ve noticed something about his game past two seasons. He’s calmed down a lot and has allowed himself to be the quiet leader. He’s seldom fiery anymore or getting too heated. Maybe he’s just more in control but I thought he’d bring back that emotion that would drive some aggression in the paint shen he’s down low or maybe looking to take control of a game. He allows the game to run as it will, and makes plays accordingly, never ever forced it seems. He plays entirely to a rhythm of flow now; I think he was trying to preserve himself all season which is smart. But now, I’m not seeing him claim the team as HIS and going to work. Every team needs that one player to say, “give me the ball” and mean it. If you don’t have that dude on your squad, confusion and frustration lies ahead. Have to have that one player who is going to command the ball late and make plays. It’s the difference between a team that advances and the team that goes home

Murray has been stellar and has been lighting it up, but today he was ice cold. Could hardly run a play tonight. And Jokic made plays in his absence to cover, but the final minutes of the game I felt like he shrunk. Can’t really complain, but that’s what I see isn’t being done by Jokic. I’d hope he is far more aggressive going into Game 4

bender

What time is it?
Solid game to be at. What was it like watching Doncic play as a rookie live???

He’s one of my favorite players, Jokic, but I’ve noticed something about his game past two seasons. He’s calmed down a lot and has allowed himself to be the quiet leader. He’s seldom fiery anymore or getting too heated. Maybe he’s just more in control but I thought he’d bring back that emotion that would drive some aggression in the paint shen he’s down low or maybe looking to take control of a game. He allows the game to run as it will, and makes plays accordingly, never ever forced it seems. He plays entirely to a rhythm of flow now; I think he was trying to preserve himself all season which is smart. But now, I’m not seeing him claim the team as HIS and going to work. Every team needs that one player to say, “give me the ball” and mean it. If you don’t have that dude on your squad, confusion and frustration lies ahead. Have to have that one player who is going to command the ball late and make plays. It’s the difference between a team that advances and the team that goes home

Murray has been stellar and has been lighting it up, but today he was ice cold. Could hardly run a play tonight. And Jokic made plays in his absence to cover, but the final minutes of the game I felt like he shrunk. Can’t really complain, but that’s what I see isn’t being done by Jokic. I’d hope he is far more aggressive going into Game 4

Mostly there for Dirk which was great but it was nice to see Doncic play and the ending of the game was exciting.

I don't even think Jokic shrinks, he just picks weird spots to assert himself which I'm sure is maddening if you cheer him on.

Cutty Flam

Banned
LeBron is not fucking around

29pts in the first half

Lakers defense kind of lackluster in regards to containing Harden though

Last edited:
Lakers defense kind of lackluster in regards to containing Harden though

Both teams are playing ABSOLUTELY HALAL defense. Coming from the Celtics v. Raptors to this shitshow is really eye opening.

Really incredible teams on offense though, so that certainly makes it up for the lackluster D lol.

EruditeHobo

Killer Laker team D in the 2nd half (4th especially). It's kind of the blueprint to beating the rox, that insanely active recovering zone d with early doubles. Of course it also helps when surprise 3s are falling, like Rondo's last night. Good news is 2 of 4 games to move on feels likely, from here.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
LeBron is embarrassing but good God do I want to see him get another ring and piss off the old Jordan Stan's even more.

EruditeHobo

Jordan's better. Why anyone fights that reality, or even gets at all agitated asserting/debating it, is beyond me. Waste of time.

LBJ is firmly on Mt. Rushmore tho.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Jordan's better. Why anyone fights that reality, or even gets at all agitated asserting/debating it, is beyond me. Waste of time.

LBJ is firmly on Mt. Rushmore tho.

Because LBJ literally does everything better than Jordan. Everything. Jordan only won 6 rings because Pippen agreed to the worst contract in NBA history and Jerry Krause was able to trade Will Fucking Perdue for Dennis Rodman.

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

Jordan's a better shooter, better defender, better technician, more impressive back to basket game, maybe more efficient overall? That's before touching intangibles, which are harder to directly compare and YMMV on that stuff but Jordan certainly in the final analysis has to "win" a lot of those categories even if he was a jerk to do it.

But I don't really think there's a debate to be had here, I don't debate flat-earthers either, so feel free to be wrong or agree to disagree or whatever you wish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom