• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Heat review thread

Bullet Club

Z85Vtu8.jpg

Platforms:
  • PlayStation 4 (Nov 8, 2019)
  • Xbox One (Nov 8, 2019)
  • PC (Nov 8, 2019)
Trailers:
Developer: Ghost Games

Publisher: Electronic Arts

DfiggD0.png

IGN - Luke Reilly - 8 / 10
Need for Speed Heat is a mosaic of existing ideas but it is easily the most impressive Need for Speed game in years.

GamesRadar+ - Justin Towell - 3.5 / 5 stars
Great modding and a decent game engine can't disguise the tired story and simplistic driving.

Hardcore Gamer - Sam Spyrison - 4 / 5
The adrenaline-inducing, high stakes nightlife of Need for Speed Heat is an exciting idea that pushes the franchise forward after years of stagnation.

Polygon - Owen Good - Unscored
In present day, Need for Speed Heat seems limited, reminding me of all the things that made it distinct, but still hedging against them in case I don’t find them enjoyable. I’m confused about what would have made this game better, but the series seems just as confused about what it wants to be.

PowerUp! - Leo Stevenson - 8.2 / 10
Fans of Hot Pursuit will definitely have a good time with Need for Speed Heat and racing fans, in general, will love it. It's fast, fun and hectic.

Stevivor - Steve Wright - 7 / 10
Need for Speed Heat is ultimately enjoyable, an experience that can provide some high highs alongside some fairly low lows. Those looking for a new racing experience will certainly enjoy it, once mastering its quirks.

Tech Advisor - Jake Tucker - 3 / 5 stars
Aesthetic, soundtrack, car customisation… Need For Speed Heat has it all except for the most important part: the driving. A clumsy drifting mechanic, clumsy feeling cars and a lack of physicality hamper the game, but that doesn't mean you can't have some fun with it.

The Games Machine - Stefano Calzati - Italian - 8.5 / 10
Need for Speed Heat is the greeting of the series to this generation but also a new beginning thanks to its solidity, aesthetics, and playability. Ghost Games has combined the simplicity of the inputs with a great sense of control, in a beautiful open world to see and full of events.

USgamer - Mike Williams - 3 / 5 stars
Need for Speed Heat is a conglomeration Need for Speeds past. A little Payback, a little Rivals, a little Hot Pursuit, a little Underground. The result is a good foundation to build upon, but weird AI issues, a lack of variety in events, and some poor tuning in cop chases mean it's not great. Maybe next gen will see Ghost Games bringing a little more real heat.

VG247 - Phil Iwaniuk - 4 / 5 stars
For the first time in years, Need For Speed has remembered why people used to play it so religiously, and recognised the more recent elements that put them off.

sdrawkcab

Banned
The last nfs game I truly liked was hot pursuit 2 back on the ps2. I stopped caring once they went all fast and furious with the series.
2005's Most Wanted was actually damned good, probably their best received game, and my personal favourite.

I don't know how many NFS games their are, but there are many and I only like 3 and love 1. NFS Special Edition on Windows 95 (or was that Win 98?) wayyyyyyyy back in the day, NFS Hot Pursuit on the PS2. Hot Pursuit 2 and NFS Most Wanted of course. NFS Underground wasn't bad either.

sn0man

Anyone with recent series experience; question for you. Could you rank the PS4/xbone nfs games? Just a couple reasons why and all that. This actually looks okay to me.

Reactions: Isa

JayK47

Picked this up on sale. I did not like it as much as Payback because the modding was more fun in Payback. But this game had some interesting characters and a decent story/setting. Drifting was more fun in Payback. Enjoying these games while we wait for the next Forza Horizon game.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Man the cops suck so hard in this game. They wen't from "best part of the game" in MW to fucking annoying.

I'm so glad that Ghost games won't develop the next game.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone with recent series experience; question for you. Could you rank the PS4/xbone nfs games? Just a couple reasons why and all that. This actually looks okay to me.
Rivals 6-7/10
Need for Speed 6/10
Payback 4/10
Heat 5/10
Hot Pursuit Remastered 8/10

For me HEAT fails mainly due to uninspired soundtrack. I dont even know if there are 2 songs on there that are at least a bit of hype and not regetton. People will argue that its because they are going for the full Miami sound....Im sorry but half of those 80s/90s retro classics we know today are all from Miami. When you have a good OST the whole vibe of the game changes. But here, its songs by bands I have not even heard of.

EDIT:

Good job you two answering the guy two and a half years later lol.

Last edited:

AGRacing

2 and a half years wasn't long enough for me to forget what a god awful dumpster fire this game was....

The only way the story and characters in this mess could have been more unbearable would be to hand it to Ubisoft!!! Heyooooooo!!!

Pantz

For me HEAT fails mainly due to uninspired soundtrack. I dont even know if there are 2 songs on there that are at least a bit of hype and not regetton. People will argue that its because they are going for the full Miami sound....Im sorry but half of those 80s/90s retro classics we know today are all from Miami. When you have a good OST the whole vibe of the game changes. But here, its songs by bands I have not even heard of.

EDIT:

soundtrack ruined it for me too

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
We have to make sure no one makes the mistake of buying those games. Except for the Hot Pursuit Remaster, which is a 360 game, Need For Speed was trash this gen. It is a series with an identity crisis.

Puskas

Man the cops suck so hard in this game. They wen't from "best part of the game" in MW to fucking annoying.

I'm so glad that Ghost games won't develop the next game.
Most of the developers at Ghost got reassigned to Criterion.

Both Payback and Heat are trash-tier racing games. Shit stories with unbearable characters, some of the worst fucking car physics ever, godawful soundtracks, zero atmosphere. I unistalled both within 5 hours. Luckily I bought them dirt cheap on sale.

Last edited:

mxbison

Only played about 1 hour but the world is so completely dead. I really don't think I want to spend a lot more time driving around there.

First NFS game I played since PS2, and I didn't think it was that bad o.o

But then again, I'm a filthy casual when it comes to racing games and I didn't even beat the game.

Just thought the car sounds were pretty lit, and I enjoyed the sense of speed the game does have when you hit full throttle.

But again, I'm a filthy casual. I can't compare to well to older games because of how long I've been absent from the franchise.

Danknugz

soundtrack ruined it for me too
ry sound of NFS just got hotter with more than 58 nitro-burning bangerswhere hip-hop goes bumper-to-bumper with EDM and beyond, packed with tracks from street kings and rising elite that include:

• 2 Chainz ft. Kendrick Lamar
  • Diplo
  • BJ the Chicago Kid ft. Offset
  • French Montana ft. Post Malone & Cardi B
  • Lil Baby & Future
  • Nghtmre & A$AP Ferg
  • Toro y Moi
  • Mustard ft. Quavo, 21 Savage, YG & Meek Mill
  • Blac Youngsta
  • …and more

• sounds sick yo

Top Bottom