• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

glaurung

I've had a pre-order in for a long time now, really looking toward it.

But the wall system is really depressing for me, there are people on my friends list that have a lot more time than me and already in the demo they've posted times that I cannot even fathom. So, the autowall will become a source of depression.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Always-honest said:
Wow.. i did NOT expect this. At all. I thought the demo was fucking boring.
Gonna read some of these reviews.

yeah.. that's what i was thinking.

Anyway, Criterion aparently did it right again.. but the demo.. the demo..

fake edit: moved this from the other thread.
Criterion DID do it again. I don't know about you, but I actually disliked the Burnout Paradise demo. It was a huge turn-off for me and had me considering just skipping it. I felt as if the Burnout formula had been ruined. I ended up loving the final game, however.

Here's hoping that happens here!

Ahhh cannot wait!
Think I'm going to stick with my initial plans and get the PS3 version. With that said if anyone wants to be friends across PSN and attempt to destroy one another in Autolog add me =)

Jrod87

Poimandres said:
I started the download a couple of days ago, and hadn't been online since then.

I mean come on, expiring demos? Early versions months before release I can understand, but this just came out- surely when interest should be near its peak!

Now I'm going to have to blind purchase this game.
You can just manually set the date of your PS3 before 11/9 and play the demo. Stay offline and don't use autolog.

Also, I'm finding EA to be a completely incompetent company with regards to acknowledging wheel support. Previous Need for Speed games on the PS3 have wheel support, the demo didn't, and the devs are completely silent about it. These reviews don't mention it.

my pre-order is in the for the PC version. i will be adding any other PC gaffers to my autolog. hopefully we can get enough of us to keep the autolog interesting even if I never get online with any of you.

Yep, at least from what I'm gathering. It's open and the roads are linked together and whatnot, iirc.

Target will have this for $35 on Black Friday. I'm ALMOST wanting to wait. =/

JdFoX187

Banned
Gametrailers review is awesome. Glad to see the franchise return to the good old days. Now to find time between Black Ops and my other games to play.

Pandemic said:
Also, if anyone is interest, there are 2 new videos of gameplay,

This one shows 6 minutes of racing with cops chasing,
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/extraits-v...suit-playstation-3-ps3-fuyard-00007206-hd.htm

This one shows 4:30 of chasing with racers,
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/extraits-v...ursuit-playstation-3-ps3-flic-00007207-hd.htm

Awesome videos, seeing this in motion is just great. Need For Speed is finally back.

29ws9p2.jpg

ecierif

Bridegur said:
I'm confused about the open world aspect -- is it possible to just drive around if you want?
It's possible, but that mode seems to be completely unrelated to career progression. One recent preview said:
http://www.gamerzines.com/need-for-speed/hands-on/speed-hot-pursuit-career-preview/ said:
So what about the open world? Well you can choose to dive straight into Freedrive at any point while on the event screen, though you won’t be able to earn bounty, damage your car or be engaged in pursuits while in this mode. Ultimately, it’s only useful for taking Dreamshots, beauty photos that can be shared with friends on the Autolog wall, or for taking a break from the intense chases.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, the reviews :O

I wasn't impressed with the demo. The gameplay was pretty boring I thought. I might give it another go considering how good these reviews are.

AdamMPSP

I loved Burnout 3, but didn't jump onto Burnout: Paradise until way late because I was sure that Criterion had broken it with the open world Paradise City. Wow, was I wrong. I've spent so much time playing Burnout Paradise, probably more than any other game this generation, and I'm not even a racing guy usually. But the open world and bonuses and unlockables were just a blast. This will be the first Need for Speed I've ever actually played, though.

Like many, though, the demo had me doubting everything. But as reviews came in today (and since amazon added a $20 credit), I finally bit and pre-ordered for 360. Now I'm getting excited. I've decided to wait on Black Ops and Assassins Creed Brotherhood in favor of this. Hope I'm right.

Karram

So did Criterion mention whether or not they will support the game with DLC and TU the way they did with Burnout Paradise ?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Yeah I didn't like the demo at all. I miss the open world cop evading style of play that was in Most Wanted. I'll miss that.

Pandemic

Good news everyone, a person at Need for Speed has confirmed on their facebook that their will be free roam offline AND Online! :D

''Just to clear it up for the last time: YES! Absolutely! Without a doubt! Guaranteed! There WILL be free roam in Hot Pursuit. Online AND Offline. :D ^SL''

http://www.facebook.com/needforspeed#!/needforspeed/posts/128200713905292

crispyben

Square Triangle said:
So a twitter pic was leaked with the back of a Ferrari, but it's on 360 only? Just to be clear.
It seems a yellow Ferrari 355's tail lights showed up on screen during last summer's NFS HP On Tour, but I haven't found anything else about it...

54-46!

I probably won't be buying this on release day, I felt that the cars were too slow and handled like ice cubes in the demo and from the tracks I've seen it looks like there are too many straight roads that lack proper corners and turns.

seady

Target is having this game, along with Fable 3 and Halo Reach, on sale for $35 on Black Friday.

Not liking the demo, but I love Criterion, and the reviews are looking great, wonder if I will like the game.

Gee

I'm usually in love with criterion's race games but I don't dig this demo.

On the other side I didn't like the demo for burnout paradise either and put in several hundered hours in that game eventually..

Guess I'll play it at a friend fist.

So I downloaded the demo yesterday and I learned afterwords that the demo isn't available to play anymore. I never got to try it. EA is weird.

well, given the 'harm' done by the demo (similar to the harm done by the burnout paradise demo) i'm not totally surprised that they haven't extended it.

i hope it does well enough on PC. i need to play this in 60 fps. i'm not even torn about it like Dark10x is. should i be embarrassed?

hah! i just can't bring myself to play a criterion racer at 30fps when i have a 60fps option.

and anyway, i played all the good NFS games on PC back in the day.

glaurung

What really bugged me in the demo - the god-awful grey cheap background they used for displayng the soundtrack names.

I really hope they have replaced it with something a bit more snazzy in the final version.

If someone has been watching all the game play videos that are out from the full game, have you spotted the thing I'm talking about?

Curufinwe

Square Triangle said:
Yep, at least from what I'm gathering. It's open and the roads are linked together and whatnot, iirc.

Target will have this for $35 on Black Friday. I'm ALMOST wanting to wait. =/

$35 seems like a great price for such a new & highly rated game.

Is the PS3 version as good or even better than the 360 version like with Burnout Paradise? I don't have Xbox Live Gold so I'll need to get the PS3 version if I want to play online multiplayer.

Phloxy

DTLIONS1013 said:
Just preordered from Amazon and got a $20 video game credit. If you're waiting for BLack Friday, why not do that instead?

You got the 20 dollar credit now or when the game gets shipped?

Decado

I dunno. No split screen multiplayer? That's a pretty major reason to pick up a racing game out the window. Also, what about the rubber-band AI we saw in the demo?

Maybe I should pick up Blur first and wait until HP goes down in price. That's pretty inexcusable.

Sectus

plagiarize said:
well, given the 'harm' done by the demo (similar to the harm done by the burnout paradise demo) i'm not totally surprised that they haven't extended it.

i hope it does well enough on PC. i need to play this in 60 fps. i'm not even torn about it like Dark10x is. should i be embarrassed?

hah! i just can't bring myself to play a criterion racer at 30fps when i have a 60fps option.

and anyway, i played all the good NFS games on PC back in the day.
Only makes sense if you ask me. I'm definitely going after the PC version too. 60fps should make the game feel soooooooooooo much better.

dark10x said:
Criterion DID do it again. I don't know about you, but I actually disliked the Burnout Paradise demo. It was a huge turn-off for me and had me considering just skipping it. I felt as if the Burnout formula had been ruined. I ended up loving the final game, however.

Here's hoping that happens here!
I'm hoping for the same.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
SirIgbyCeaser said:
So I downloaded the demo yesterday and I learned afterwords that the demo isn't available to play anymore. I never got to try it. EA is weird.

IIRC, there was some kind of in-game bonus you could earn by playing the demo. Maybe they were using the game servers for it and needed to get them ready for the retail release.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
PS3 or X360? Either one a bit better then other. Have PS3 version on order at the moment.

Bebpo

Banned
What bothers me is that every review I read seems like they are giving it 9s and 10s solely because of the facebook style autolog meta game and that the core racing game is just an afterthought.

This is cool if you have a huge friendslist with dozens of friends who will buy the game, but I get the feeling the amount of people on my steam friends list who will be playing it will be somewhere between 0 and 2. So this makes the autolog useless for me and then I'm back to trying to figure out if it's a good racer worth the money since I disliked the demo but loved past Criterion games.

Top Bottom