• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Guileless said:
I can't believe I'm even debating this. The first two Hot Pursuit games are among my most favorite games. I railed along with everyone else about the fast and furious direction of the NFS series. The reviews are glowing. But..that demo. Something just doesn't feel right.
I'm in the same boat. I still have hope for the Wii version but my anticipation for the Criterion game greatly decreased when I found out it would be open world and more similar to the first NFS as opposed to the HP games.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I should add, GT 5 coming out the next week also gives me pause about getting this day one.

What are the odds that a Hot Pursuit sequel and GT 5 would come out within a week of each other?

UFRA

Just got a call from GameStop. Apparently my local store is doing a midnight launch for this. Wasn't expecting that.

It also said, "come at 10PM and join us in the fun" :lol

maks

ichigo kurosaki said:
For those wondering. Sadly the game does NOT support any wheels on PS3. Not sure whether it supports the Xbox official wheel on 360 but I believe so. There are no Ferraris in the game -neither version, sorry to disappoint you. Custom soundtracks are supported in PS3.

edited cause i'm not 100% sure it supports the xbox wheel -i think so, though.

Really? Where did you get this info from.

Is there a demo for pc? I can't find one.

Edit: And I get the feeling this is the game that people bitched about the demo already getting pulled... I guess I'll hold off...

Pandemic

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is there a demo for pc? I can't find one.

Edit: And I get the feeling this is the game that people bitched about the demo already getting pulled... I guess I'll hold off...
No demo was released for PC.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
A question.

Can two players play at the same TV with splitscreen?

Okay... another one:

Is the single player component of this game strong enough to warrant a purchase? I ask this because Internet gameplay for me is out of the question.

Pandemic

Laughing Banana said:
A question.

Can two players play at the same TV with splitscreen?

Okay... another one:

Is the single player component of this game strong enough to warrant a purchase? I ask this because Internet gameplay for me is out of the question.

Split-screen isn't included in the game.

I found the demo very enjoyable, hence why I'm purchasing it but it may differ for others.

No45

DonMigs85 said:
Does the game still have tight corners or is mostly winding open roads and highways? I loved slamming the handbrake and taking sharp turns in the previous games.
There are some tight bends in the demo. Nothing that required the handbrake however, but that's not to say they're not in the later sections.

MadOdorMachine said:
I'm in the same boat. I still have hope for the Wii version but my anticipation for the Criterion game greatly decreased when I found out it would be open world and more similar to the first NFS as opposed to the HP games.
I don't think the game is open world at all is it? The map gives that impression, but all it does it highlight routes which are closed events.

Apparently there is a free roam mode, but the game isn't designed around it the same way BP was for example.

maks said:
Really? Where did you get this info from.
Most people are making this assumption because the demo didn't support wheels, however I found this which suggests otherwise.

Laughing Banana said:
Hmm, I expect to play mostly the single player events in this, but I'm not sure I'd be picking this up at all if not for the friends/autolog functionality.

I'll go out on a limb and say that the chat rep is full of shit and doesn't know wtf he/she is talking about.

I switched my order from PS3 to 360 since it probably won't be supporting my new Logitech G27.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
UFRA said:
Just got a call from GameStop. Apparently my local store is doing a midnight launch for this. Wasn't expecting that.

Sometimes what will happen is other games coming out benefit games that might not have the high pre-order numbers. Not that NFS doesn't but I'm sure there are several games coming too that might warrant that. It's a win for you if you can make the launch though. You don't have to wait and go the next day at least.

derFeef

Diablohead said:
One thing this game has done right is the music selection :D
Which I am going to turn off after launching the game. I HATE music overshadowing everything else in racing games.

Shinjitsu

Banned
derFeef said:
Which I am going to turn off after launching the game. I HATE music overshadowing everything else in racing games.

Your loss. Personally, while I do love engine noise and tire squeals, nothing but that would drive me insane.

Otacon

just checked out the tracklist
=/
turned off all tracks except the classical ones in Burnout Paradise
shame they have nothing similar in Hot Pursuit

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
MadOdorMachine said:
The game IS NOT open world. It is totally event based and allows you to select those events from a menu.

You can, however, select a free ride mode and just drive around. The world is nothing like Burnout Paradise, though. Most of its roads are lengthy and without intersections.

I'm surprised you'd have hope for the Wii version, though. What on earth would have you think it could be anywhere near as good?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
UFRA said:

Same here. I am shocked they are doing a midnight release for it. Not sure I will partake in the midnight festivities though. I didn't think they had enough pre-orders to justify a midnight release at my location.

Otacon said:
just checked out the tracklist
=/
turned off all tracks except the classical ones in Burnout Paradise
shame they have nothing similar in Hot Pursuit
I thought they did have some original score stuff in the demo, sounded like an action movie kind of.

Teknoman

dskillzhtown said:
Same here. I am shocked they are doing a midnight release for it. Not sure I will partake in the midnight festivities though. I didn't think they had enough pre-orders to justify a midnight release at my location.

Theres a rule that Gamestops have to do a midnight launch for any high profile title now.

UFRA

LiquidMetal14 said:
Sometimes what will happen is other games coming out benefit games that might not have the high pre-order numbers. Not that NFS doesn't but I'm sure there are several games coming too that might warrant that. It's a win for you if you can make the launch though. You don't have to wait and go the next day at least.

You're right. I just checked the lineup for games coming out tomorrow, and sure enough two MAJOR games are coming out:

Barbie: Groom and Glam Pups
Hello Kitty Seasons

:p

NEOPARADIGM said:
What? Gamestop parties are a blast. Always a ton of hot chicks.
25km1hv.jpg

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
:lol who am I kidding, just ordered from Amazon w/release date delivery. I did cut it close though. Hell I even bought all those fast/furious NFS games, I'm definitely buying one that lets me flee from cops in a Maserati.

If you want an easy mark to rank above on autolog, XBL is Guileless.

dskillzhtown

Teknoman said:
Theres a rule that Gamestops have to do a midnight launch for any high profile title now.

Really? That would explain it then. I bet you there will be about 4 people at the near Gamestop tonight. I might go just to laugh
and pick up my copy.

UFRA said:

A lot of Gamestop locations that are doing a midnight launch are raffling off a PS3 copy of Brotherhood, I'd say it's worth the 10pm hang out =P

Canti

I was all set to pick this up, but found out just days ago I'm going to be made redundant at Christmas. Will be following this thread anxiously until I get a new job :lol

Sectus

I'm eagerly awaiting reports on the PC version. As long as there's no big issues and it isn't locked to 30fps, then that's the version I'll go for.

UFRA

Canti said:
I was all set to pick this up, but found out just days ago I'm going to be made redundant at Christmas. Will be following this thread anxiously until I get a new job :lol

Wow, what a terrible Christmas present. Good luck man. :(

dskillzhtown

Canti said:

As someone who sat at home unemployed for about 3 months, a new game helps the time pass by a bit faster.

UFRA

Opus Angelorum said:
I'd appreciate some early impressions, specifically if anything has improved from the demo (handling, visuals).

Yes, for the sake of Pete, please tell us this at the very least!!

Mar

That freedrive video was glorious. Reminds me so much of freeroam in Burnout Paradise. I would spend literally hours just driving around Paradise seeing how fast and how far I could go without crashing.

Music selection seems solid too. I wish the people in those video would turn off their sirens though...

burgerdog

Sectus said:
I'm eagerly awaiting reports on the PC version. As long as there's no big issues and it isn't locked to 30fps, then that's the version I'll go for.
Fucking EA, game is not up on steam yet. Better be up tomorrow.

crispyben

So, did anybody figure out what the deal is with the various pre-order cars? EA stated that the Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione (Racers) and Ford Shelby GT500 (Racers) are only available in the Limited Edition and will not be available at any other time". We also know that for those who miss the opportunity to pick up the Limited Edition, the Audi TT RS Coupé (Racers), Chevrolet Camaro SS (Racers), Porsche Cayman S (Cops) and Dodge Challenger SRT8 (Cops) can be unlocked by leveling up in the game.

But what about the Racers versions of the Porsche Cayman S, Dodge Viper SRT10, Porsche Panamera Turbo and Nissan 370Z? These are pre-order bonuses for PS3 and Xbox 360 at GAME in France, but if they're just early unlocks like the 4 above from the LE, I'd rather pay 15€ less on Amazon.fr. And they seem to be Xbox 360 Dr. Pepper exclusives in the US, which doesn't help... Help, anyone? Maybe someone who's played the game already?

Maybe this link could help make sense of this, if it's not wrong...

Top Bottom