• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Bebpo said:
What bothers me is that every review I read seems like they are giving it 9s and 10s solely because of the facebook style autolog meta game and that the core racing game is just an afterthought.

This is cool if you have a huge friendslist with dozens of friends who will buy the game, but I get the feeling the amount of people on my steam friends list who will be playing it will be somewhere between 0 and 2. So this makes the autolog useless for me and then I'm back to trying to figure out if it's a good racer worth the money since I disliked the demo but loved past Criterion games.

I somewhat agree. From the videos i've seen it doesn't look like the handling is any better than the demo and that was awful. In the "drift" mclaren video, the guy is barely drifting and smashing into walls, he can't even keep the thing on the road properly. It's like he is driving a 10 tonne truck around, It's so so bad.

It's honestly surprising me that it's getting such high reviews especially after the demo.

derFeef

evlcookie said:
I somewhat agree. From the videos i've seen it doesn't look like the handling is any better than the demo and that was awful. In the "drift" mclaren video, the guy is barely drifting and smashing into walls, he can't even keep the thing on the road properly. It's like he is driving a 10 tonne truck around, It's so so bad.

It's honestly surprising me that it's getting such high reviews especially after the demo.
How can you judge the handling in a video? I have seen plenty of GT of Forza videos where people can't drive. And there it´s obviously not the games fault.

dwebo

evlcookie said:

This video? http://www.gametrailers.com/video/mclaren-snow-need-for/707280?type=flv

The wall bumping, of which there wasn't even that much of, didn't strike me as that out of place, especially compared to past Burnout games. I was more bothered by how dull it looked, quite frankly. I mean, I know Paradise had time trial events (burning laps or whatever they were called), but the routes were much more complex, and there was a lot more traffic. Hope there aren't too many in Hot Pursuit.

Also, I love that driving in the oncoming lane still fills your boost meter, even though judging by that video, it was easily the safer lane to be in. :lol

glaurung

evlcookie said:

Dude, that is just wrong.

Mar

evlcookie said:

Perhaps wait until you've seen the full product? You'd assume the reviewers are reviewing the full game, not the demo...

Demo really did put me off this and I cancelled my preorder.
Having seen the reviews, and remembering I was put off by the BO Paradise demo and ended up loving the game, I'm going to reorder.

Anyone in the UK know if the first batches to all outlets are going to be the Limited Edition or has Game got the exclusivity?

Actually, I don't have a great many people on my friends list and even less that are likely to be buying so would appreciate some fellow 360 players to add me so we can check out the Autolog, go for some drinks, maybe go for a stroll, etc.

edit: Gamertag would help - Captain Rizla

dino1980

Have EA released a list of which wheels that works with NFS HP?

Wondering if my Logitech DFP wheel will work with the game?

For those wondering. Sadly the game does NOT support any wheels on PS3. Not sure whether it supports the Xbox official wheel on 360 but I believe so. There are no Ferraris in the game -neither version, sorry to disappoint you. Custom soundtracks are supported in PS3.

edited cause i'm not 100% sure it supports the xbox wheel -i think so, though.

ichigo kurosaki said:
For those wondering. Sadly the game does NOT support any wheels on PS3. It does support the Xbox official wheel on 360. There are no Ferraris in the game -neither version, sorry to disappoint you. Custom soundtracks are supported in PS3.

What the hell? Who thought that would be a good idea?

Xun

Can't fucking wait.

I just wonder how well it'll sell given how little gangster shit is in it.

Also what version would everyone suggest? I have more friends on the 360, but my PS3 library is lacking.

Xun said:
I just wonder how well it'll sell given how little gangster shit is in it.
Aside from Criterion and licensed cars, this is probably my biggest draw towards the game. I don't like Grand Theft Auto or Saints Row (it wasn't too bad); I love Gran Turismo, Burnout (especially Paradise) and Need For Speed (especially Underground).

I don't own an xbox360, but the PS3 Burnout Paradise online community is still very much alive. Just do what I did with Burnout Paradise and WipEout HD. Add a bunch of GAF players, play online, and you'll make new friends.

Otacon

Fantasmo said:
Anyone in the UK know if the first batches to all outlets are going to be the Limited Edition or has Game got the exclusivity?
anyone got any news about this?
i usually order from amazon.co.uk
amazon.de for example ONLY has the LE (but i don't want any german voice-over etc. in my game)
how likely is it that the 2 "exclusive" cars will be available for download at a later date?

Otacon said:
anyone got any news about this?
i usually order from amazon.co.uk
amazon.de for example ONLY has the LE (but i don't want any german voice-over etc. in my game)
how likely is it that the 2 "exclusive" cars will be available for download at a later date?

I bit the bullet and ordered from Game again as they show the limited edition packaging.
On the official NFS website they list Game, Amazon, HMV and Play as stockists.
I had a £5 voucher with Game so thought what the hell.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
ichigo kurosaki said:
For those wondering. Sadly the game does NOT support any wheels on PS3. Not sure whether it supports the Xbox official wheel on 360 but I believe so. There are no Ferraris in the game -neither version, sorry to disappoint you. Custom soundtracks are supported in PS3.

edited cause i'm not 100% sure it supports the xbox wheel -i think so, though.
the full version doesn't have it? How is that even...possible?

Oh well Im getting the PC version but what if that version doesn't have wheel support either?

I. Am. Scared.

Slaylock

I'm on the fence as well. The demo was pretty meh, but the reviews have been stellar.

The $20 credit on Amazon is making it difficult to pass up. Even if it isn't great, I can trade it in a month without losing much.

Also, don't forget Target will have it for $35 on Black Friday.

ElyrionX

The demo was utter trash but the high reviews scores almost convinced me until i watched a video review. I really don't see how it's any different from the demo and they don't seem to mention any of the shortcomings. It feels almosy surreal. I'm going to pass on this.

Arucardo

Ouch, finnish Pelit-magazine gave the game a 67/100 with the closing statement/last words being "shitty burnout clone", that's harsh...

epmode

Arucardo said:
Ouch, finnish Pelit-magazine gave the game a 67/100 with the closing statement/last words being "shitty burnout clone", that's harsh...
And that's the last EA review copy they'll ever see.

Kingpen

I want this, I really really do because of fond memories of the ps2 hot pursuit.

But, being that I don't care about online multiplayer, I'm wondering how this will holdup single player. I already have the superb midnight club LA to go toward itching my cop pursuit scratch.

Maybe will buy it on impulse on black friday for 35, but otherwise will wait until it is 20 in about 9 months.

Pandemic

The car list and images is now complete, they've uploaded the last few images today,
Aston Martin One-77
one-77_1_924x519.jpg

Dodge Viper SRT10
DodgeViperSRT10_Dr_Pepper_LOGO_TOPLEFT.jpg

Lamborghini Gallardo LP 570-4 Superleggera
Gallardo_Cop_04_924x519.jpg

Mazda RX-8
MazdaRX-8Cop_924x519.jpg

McLaren F1
McLarenF1Cop_924x519.jpg

Nissan 370Z Coupe
nissan_mountainroad_LOGO_TOPLEFT.jpg

Porsche 911 GT3 RS
Porsche_911_GT3_RS_924x519.jpg

Porsche Carrera GT
Porschecarreranight_924x519.jpg

Porsche Cayman S
caymanS3_LOGO_TOPLEFT.jpg

Porsche Panamera Turbo
panameroturbo3_LOGO_TOPLEFT.jpg

Pandemic

Sorry for the double post, but it looks like there are 4 cars exclusively to the Xbox 360...
The racer version of the..
- Dodge Viper SRT10
- Nissan 370Z Coupe
- Porsche Panamera Turbo
- Porsche Cayman S

According to the description on the website it says,
''The racer version of the Porsche Cayman S/Porsche Panamera Turbo/Nissan 370Z Coupe/Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe is available through a promotion with Dr. Pepper and is XBOX 360 only. Look for further details soon.''

I ordered this from Amazon, against my better judgment as the demo was such butthole, but all these great reviews swayed me, and I love love love racing games more than any other genre.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Pandemic said:
Sorry for the double post, but it looks like there are 4 cars exclusively to the Xbox 360...
- Dodge Viper SRT10
- Nissan 370Z Coupe
- Porsche Panamera Turbo
- Porsche Cayman S

''The racer version of the Porsche Cayman S/Porsche Panamera Turbo/Nissan 370Z Coupe/Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe is available through a promotion with Dr. Pepper and is XBOX 360 only. Look for further details soon.''
It's a good thing that I ordered the X360 version, then!

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Pandemic said:
- Dodge Viper SRT10
- Nissan 370Z Coupe
- Porsche Panamera Turbo
- Porsche Cayman S

WTF, I hate when they do stuff like that.

Well, sorry to anyone who wanted these cars on the PS3 (boycott Dr. Pepper? lol), but aside from the Porsche vehicles, the cars look like re-skins of other drivable cars. I can't imagine that there won't be similar-handling vehicles you could drive instead.

I'm probably over-simplifying this, but it seems to me that chasing racers in a police vehicle is practically Road Rage mode from Burnout Paradise, and evading police as a racer is similar to the Marked Man events. I spent ridiculous lengths of time on Road Rages in Paradise City, so I can't wait to be an officer with the Seacrest County PD. :D

Pandemic said:
- Dodge Viper SRT10
- Nissan 370Z Coupe
- Porsche Panamera Turbo
- Porsche Cayman S

Strange, Play are offering the Dodge Viper SRT10 and the Porsche Cayman S as a preorder bonus for both PS3 and 360. Link.

Anyway, looking forward to the release date!

BADNED

Pandemic said:
- Dodge Viper SRT10
- Nissan 370Z Coupe
- Porsche Panamera Turbo
- Porsche Cayman S

In Europe those cars are available as preorder bonuses for PS3 and PC as well, e.g. Play.com, Amazon.de, Gamestop.de.

DonMigs85

Hurr, since GT5 is making it out this month and Sly Cooper's coming too, I think I may push this game back to early next year.

Pandemic

Pandemic

I'm hoping they'll release a multiplayer patch to support up to 8 players in free-roam, online.

It'd be much better than just having the Interceptor mode (1 v 1 free roam).... :lol

Shinjitsu

Banned
evlcookie said:

My wife can't avoid the walls in Burnout Paradise, god the handling sucks.

Pandemic

Teknoman said:
How many players is MP anyway?
For ''Hot Pursuit'' mode, you can have up to 8 players including yourself.

Then there's Interceptor Mode which is 1 v 1.

I don't know if there are any other modes available.

Admittedly I thought the handling was very poor, however having played the demo much more everything came together. I was able to complete races without colliding once, even with lots of drifting.

Xun

Opus Angelorum said:
Admittedly I thought the handling was very poor, however having played the demo much more everything came together. I was able to complete races without colliding once, even with lots of drifting.
Yeah pretty much.

It also varies heavily on the car you use which is nice.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
For me, it wasn't that I couldn't control the car or keep it on the road, just that the controls made it feel like more work than necessary. I really shouldn't be fighting against the controls. It's not the understeering that's annoying, that has always been in NFS. It's the lag. Instead of feeling like you're turning the wheel, it feels like there's you're pulling the front of the car to either side with a rope attached to the front bumper.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I can't believe I'm even debating this. The first two Hot Pursuit games are among my most favorite games. I railed along with everyone else about the fast and furious direction of the NFS series. The reviews are glowing. But..that demo. Something just doesn't feel right.

DonMigs85

Guileless said:
I can't believe I'm even debating this. The first two Hot Pursuit games are among my most favorite games. I railed along with everyone else about the fast and furious direction of the NFS series. The reviews are glowing. But..that demo. Something just doesn't feel right.
Does the game still have tight corners or is mostly winding open roads and highways? I loved slamming the handbrake and taking sharp turns in the previous games.

Donos

wow, that game went totally under my radar. Loved Burnout Paradise so i will pick this up when it comes down with the price.

Top Bottom