• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed Most Wanted U |OT| Burned out, Upshift

This game is great, I have been playing the Vita version recently a lot. But I'm carving for playing it with the bigger gamepad with better graphics and a busier city... But I can't justify re-buying a game I already own. What to do, GAF?

sell the vita version, you're missing out on something beautiful

Chimkey

2nd favourite game after ZombiU, awesome in off-tv mode which is more convenient for my lifestyle at the moment. Damn addictive trying to best fellow Gaffers times too.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
This game is great, I have been playing the Vita version recently a lot. But I'm carving for playing it with the bigger gamepad with better graphics and a busier city... But I can't justify re-buying a game I already own. What to do, GAF?
Seeing gaffers' mugs on Fairhaven's billboards alone is worth the asked price ; )

Also, you can troll entire gaf in a 911 Turbo - how cool is that? O; ]

blu

Word of caution: beware the Panamera, AKA the SUV sold as a sports car.

burgerdog

Why did I wait until 72% game completion to turn traffic off!? The game is so much more fun when it's just you, the track, and the other racers.

Blu, stop doing this. You did it to me with Trine 2 IIRC, now you're doing it to me with NFS. I really don't want to have to go buy it ya know.

Yes blu please stop. I just keep telling myself to wait to buy this game, but then comes blu with his Porsche 911 stories, my favorite car manufacturer.

VanWinkle

sell the vita version, you're missing out on something beautiful

Actually, I wouldn't say that's true. I have both (got the Vita version back at the end of October when it first came out, and got the Wii U version the day it came out), and I don't feel like I'm getting a much better experience on the Wii U. The graphics are a lot better, obviously, but not to the point of it being a whole other experience between the two. I actually feel like the Vita version controls a little better for some reason. Still, the Wii U version is great and I'm happy having both.

blu

Yes blu please stop. I just keep telling myself to wait to buy this game, but then comes blu with his Porsche 911 stories, my favorite car manufacturer.
The 911 Turbo is nothing short of sublime in this game. The Carrera S is an astounding cheatmobile once you set all the mods. And the 918 Spyder is 1000 furies in a teacup - approach with caution!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I tried online for the 1st time yesterday, which was a bit chaotic but fresh at the same time with various objectives.

The highlight was the voice chat: I had my iPhone headphones plugged in the GamePad and spent an hour talking with a nice spanish guy. Sound was flawless.

I love this game.

Robin64

So people have gotten over the lack of analog triggers? ;)

Going to pick this up this weekend, it seems like they've put the right amount of effort into a Wii U port, unlike some other devs. I hope it sells well so they at least know this is what Wii U owners want when a game arrives later.

blu

How do you disconnect from Origin, I can't find it in the options?
I don't think there's an option in the game. I disconnect the wiiu from the net when I play MW, and reconnect only to check my friends' standings ; ]

BTW re soundtrack, the next make the lack of custom soundtrack way more palatable for me:
The Maccabees - Unknown
Nero - Won't You
Skrillex & The Doors - Breakn' A Sweat (Zedd Remix)
The Chemical Brothers - Galvanize
Polica - Violent Games
Crosses - Telepathy

Last one by Crosses is particularly good:

"As long as you play my game
I’ll let you win"
; ]

Does this have any fancy MiiVerse integration?

Also can you invite friends to a race?

You can see the race times, jump distances, and other scores your friends that play the game have. They pop up automatically when you do something. It's pretty fun trying to beat them. And yes, you can invite friends to race. I haven't tried it but there's an option here for it.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Does this have any fancy MiiVerse integration?
On any part of the map, records of your friends are smartly displayed as you approach them. So basically, even in single player mode, the game is a competitive playground.

I assume it was the same on PS3 and x360 versions?

You can see the race times, jump distances, and other scores your friends that play the game have. They pop up automatically when you do something. It's pretty fun trying to beat them. And yes, you can invite friends to race. I haven't tried it but there's an option here for it.

he asked about Miiverse but you just gave him a rundown of what Autolog 2.0 does

from what I've seen this game allows you to post to miiverse without hitting the HOME button it means you don't really have a wait to load miiverse
you can just post and back out and drive also if you do not move your car and leave the game running pressing no buttons activates a screensaver that shows off what people are saying about the game on miiverse that is all it does

he asked about Miiverse but you just gave him a rundown of what Autolog 2.0 does

from what I've seen this game allows you to post to miiverse without hitting the HOME button it means you don't really have a wait to load miiverse
you can just post and back out also if you do not move your car and leave the game running pressing no buttons activates a screensaver that shows off what people are saying about the game one miiverse that is all it does

Thanks, I was really wondering what this supposed Miiverse integration was.

Thanks, I was really wondering what this supposed Miiverse integration was.

does not really do much it does handle miiverse better than most non-first party games by allowing that fast post from in game

Autolog + Origin is really all the other fancy stuff known in NFS

I think the screen saver of the miiverse posts move in and out too fast you don't really have time to enjoy or read the messages just keeps scrolling in and out 3 seconds kinda useless if you had control over it maybe better

blu

you can just post and back out and drive also if you do not move your car and leave the game running pressing no buttons activates a screensaver that shows off what people are saying about the game on miiverse that is all it does
Friends' mii mugshots on billboards is miiverse though.

blu

Not really...the other versions show your friends profile pic in the same way. It's pulling it from your Friend List.
Hmm, could be. Though somebody was complaining yesterday during the server outages that their friends mugs disappeared form the billboards.

Whoops, my mistake.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
does not really do much it does handle miiverse better than most non-first party games by allowing that fast post from in game

Autolog + Origin is really all the other fancy stuff known in NFS

I think the screen saver of the miiverse posts move in and out too fast you don't really have time to enjoy or read the messages just keeps scrolling in and out 3 seconds kinda useless if you had control over it maybe better

I've mentioned Autolog before, but having EA handle Nintendo's online infrastructure isn't such a bad idea to me anymore if we could've had something like Autolog built into the OS.

Although I'm not sure well integrated it would be in story heavy games, it's a perfect fit in a racer like this, and would be perfect in Nintendoland, and many of Nintendo's other games.

AzaK

On any part of the map, records of your friends are smartly displayed as you approach them. So basically, even in single player mode, the game is a competitive playground.

I assume it was the same on PS3 and x360 versions?

That's quite cool. Is there a way to set it up so that if a friend beats one of your scores you get notified? I like that sort of things in an open world game because I can then go off and try and regain the title.

blu

That's quite cool. Is there a way to set it up so that if a friend beats one of your scores you get notified? I like that sort of things in an open world game because I can then go off and try and regain the title.
Yes, to a degree, for the events only. There's an autolog event recommendations menu where the game is offering you events to try. There it says if somebody beat a record of yours, so you could try to beat theirs. But the menu is limited by entries, so it does not necessarily show all your records that have been beaten. Generally, to be sure who made what record you might have to check them one by one in the events menu, per car. But there are no notifications at all for the jump and speedcam records - you see those as you get near billboards/speedcams.

AzaK

Yes, to a degree, for the events only. There's an autolog event recommendations menu where the game is offering you events to try. There it says if somebody beat a record of yours, so you could try to beat theirs. But the menu is limited by entries, so it does not necessarily show all your records that have been beaten. Generally, to be sure who made what record you might have to check them one by one in the events menu, per car. But there are no notifications at all for the jump and speedcam records - you see those as you get near billboards/speedcams.

Cool, thanks; better than nothing. Be nice to have MiiVerse such that out-of-game you could get notifications that someone beat your score. Otherwise if you get to a game later than your friends they've moved on.

SmokyDave

Hmm, could be. Though somebody was complaining yesterday during the server outages that their friends mugs disappeared form the billboards.

It definitely pulls the pics from your Origin list. I can confirm they're present on the Vita and PS3 versions.

blu

It definitely pulls the pics from your Origin list. I can confirm they're present on the Vita and PS3 versions.
Well, I posted that in reference to where the pictures might be coming from in the game. My original supposition was miiverse -> in-game, but I guess it's mii friend list -> origin -> in-game.

Excite Truck was great. I've tried tracking that down but can't find a copy in my region.
Wait, are you saying you have neither EXCITE nor MWU? Do something to mend that, for Pete's!

ed: Any advice how to gold The Getaway with an Atom? The best I've been able to do is 190-ish km/h and the gold is at 201 o_O

I just noticed and I'm surprised no one has mentioned, I haven't had the micro-stutter issue when connected to Origin since the update. Can anyone else confirm?

blu

I just noticed and I'm surprised no one has mentioned, I haven't had the micro-stutter issue when connected to Origin since the update. Can anyone else confirm?
I can't ; )

I'll check tonight though.

ed: just checked - still present for me.

BTW, noticed something else - my pursuit record from a few days ago (44K) is nowhere to be seen on the speedwalls - instead my old one is shown (16K). I've seen the pursuit speedwalls glitch before, so I hope my record is still registered somewhere : / Oh well, could be the cost of off-line benefits.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
You need an origin account to play online? Might as well return it now
jk ... I should probably open it and play now :3

I can't ; )

I'll check tonight though.

ed: just checked - still present for me.

BTW, noticed something else - my pursuit record from a few days ago (44K) is nowhere to be seen on the speedwalls - instead my old one is shown (16K). I've seen the pursuit speedwalls glitch before, so I hope my record is still registered somewhere : / Oh well, could be the cost of off-line benefits.
Hm, weird. I only played once for a half hour but I didn't notice stutter so I thought I was somehow offline, but I checked and I was actually connected. I'll play again later and check.

blu

ed: Any advice how to gold The Getaway with an Atom? The best I've been able to do is 190-ish km/h and the gold is at 201 o_O
Answer: long gears.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I was wondering how the races work in this game, are they different per car? I'm a novice, I haven't played a Need For Speed/Burnout game since the GameCube/PS2/Xbox era.

blu

I was wondering how the races work in this game, are they different per car? I'm a novice, I haven't played a Need For Speed/Burnout game since the GameCube/PS2/Xbox era.
Each car has 5 race events, but they are not unique per car - each event is shared among several cars.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Each car has 5 race events, but they are not unique per car - each event is shared among several cars.

Oh okay, makes sense. Thanks!

I hopped online to try it out and got super confused by the structure, but it's super fun. Liking the game so far!

blu

Of pursuit records during off-line: pursuit records made off-line are _not_ counted toward autolog records.

Top Bottom