• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed Most Wanted U |OT| Burned out, Upshift

japtor

Mostly unrelated to the game but just saw this in my news feed and thought it was crazy, the Venom GT is also ridiculous in real life:
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/hennessey-venom-gt-top-speed-265mph-2013-04-03

Yeah I noticed that, but I didn't really get a look at the rankings. No where to check out who has the longest time, or highest number of points outside of that?
Try pausing the game and going through the menus there. I forget if there's a straight high scores thing but I remember there's a list of friends with some stats there at least.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Blu, stop doing this. You did it to me with Trine 2 IIRC, now you're doing it to me with NFS. I really don't want to have to go buy it ya know.
Well, you can always do monthly installments (and Trine2 is good, no?)

Seriously, if you ever had the slightest interest in racers you owe yourself at least a try of MWU. Game is pure quality.

My favorite game on Wii U right now. Sorry I haven't been on in two days. I had to self impose a time limit because I played it for five hours straight on Sunday.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Mostly unrelated to the game but just saw this in my news feed and thought it was crazy, the Venom GT is also ridiculous in real life:
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/hennessey-venom-gt-top-speed-265mph-2013-04-03

Try pausing the game and going through the menus there. I forget if there's a straight high scores thing but I remember there's a list of friends with some stats there at least.

Did that, but it's only the basic things that show up, btw Brithor is a beast.

Tempted to get this. I own the PC version, and while I didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped (multi-player especially was a let down), I fairly recently gave it another shot and I was having a good time.

The problem is, my Origin account got hacked a few months ago and the hacker wiped out all 100 of my friends.

Which sucks.

How big is the demo?

Tempted to get this. I own the PC version, and while I didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped (multi-player especially was a let down), I fairly recently gave it another shot and I was having a good time.

The problem is, my Origin account got hacked a few months ago and the hacker wiped out all 100 of my friends.

Which sucks.

How big is the demo?

What?

Is there a Demo?

burgerdog

Booted this up after not having played it for a week or more due to the freezing and all I want to do is take miiverse pictures. :( Damn freezing and camera reset bug.

I just discovered an even better NFSMWU - NFSMWU off-line. Goodbye micro-stutter. Hello butter smooth fps. Now I can't decide what I want to drive the most - my 911 Turbo, EloquentM's AMG, or my Countach, so I keep switching them. Deelight.
That micro stutter has been annoying me. Strange because I didn't notice it when I first got the game. Could it be due to having 60 new friends that all play NFS?

Anyway, how do I disconnect from Origin? I can't figure it out...

burgerdog

Well, you could always try and beat a bunch of your scores I murdered a few days back...

I'm not a huge fan of the way the leaderboards work in the game. For example, traffic conditions make racing way too random, you(the general you)could have used a faster car to set a better record, or now with this version you can even turn traffic off. In order for the records to mean anything we would all have to use the same car with the same mods and probably turn traffic off to really make it a matter of skill.

I'm not a huge fan of the way the leaderboards work in the game. For example, traffic conditions make racing way too random, you(the general you)could have used a faster car to set a better record, or now with this version you can even turn traffic off. In order for the records to mean anything we would all have to use the same car with the same mods and probably turn traffic off to really make it a matter of skill.
I always turn traffic off. When I crash I like it be my fault, not because the game spawned a truck around the corner. I used to leave traffic on but seeing these times people are getting... impossible.

blu

That micro stutter has been annoying me. Strange because I didn't notice it when I first got the game. Could it be due to having 60 new friends that all play NFS?

Anyway, how do I disconnect from Origin? I can't figure it out...
Yes, the micro-stutter is definitely related to the origin chatter. I disconnect from origin by disconnecting the wiiu altogether. I keep 2 network connections on record in the network settings - one wifi and one wired. Since I keep the eth adapter mostly on my wii, I use the wired connection to get my wiiu offline - takes me 30 sec due to the slow trip to settings.

Wait, are you telling me you can turn off traffic during races?
You can turn traffic off and change day/night, but that does not go unnoticed - the game writes your score as 'Player & Co-driver' when you check the event in the EasyDrive menus. You'll never see my score as '& a Co-driver' tough - I never use the co-driver functions ; ]

Yes, the micro-stutter is definitely related to the origin chatter. I disconnect from origin by disconnecting the wiiu altogether. I keep 2 network connections on record in the network settings - one wifi and one wired. Since I keep the eth adapter mostly on my wii, I use the wired connection to get my wiiu offline - takes me 30 sec due to the slow trip to settings.
Thanks. Hopefully that April update will fix the settings taking so long to load.

JCH!

You can turn traffic off and change day/night, but that does not go unnoticed - the game writes your score as 'Player & Co-driver' when you check the event in the EasyDrive menus. You'll never see my score as '& a Co-driver' tough - I never use the co-driver functions ; ]

I thought we all showed as (and was annoyed by it) 'Player & Co-driver' as everyone on my list does. I've never used the co-driver functions (well, I think I changed the time of day once), do I show up as Brithor & Co-driver?

blu

I thought we all showed as (and was annoyed by it) 'Player & Co-driver' as everyone on my list does. I've never used the co-driver functions (well, I think I changed the time of day once), do I show up as Brithor & Co-driver?
I believe it's per-event. I'll add you tonight.

On a different note, I've been thinking how to best describe NFSMWU to somebody new to the game (and not familiar with the Burnout series). I think the following would be my pick:

Ridge Racer meets Excite Truck.

ed: ..downtown.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Ah Ah Ah this game is so good! I looove its competitive design :)

My NNID is marc0o, I'll add you guys from this thread if you're not in my friend list already.

marc^o^

There's a new update available, downloading it now (v1.2.0).

Also I saw yesterday you could add friends of friends within the game :)
Is there something Criterion didn't do well with this port?

Turrican3

Am I the only one who believe steer handling could have been so much better? :-\
Comparing NFSMWU to Burnout Paradise 60fps, extremely tight controls really hurts, a friend of mine told me, half jokingly, "you have to forget BP exists if you want to enjoy NFS" and I'd say it's hard for me to disagree.

Btw, kudos must go to Criterion for the excellent port, and in no way I'm regretting my purchase.

Am I the only one who believe steer handling could have been so much better? :-
Comparing NFSMWU to Burnout Paradise 60fps, extremely tight controls really hurts, a friend of mine told me, half jokingly, "you have to forget BP exists if you want to enjoy NFS" and I'd say it's hard for me to disagree.

Btw, kudos must go to Criterion for the excellent port, and in no way I'm regretting my purchase.
Personally, I had trouble adapting to not being allowed to rear end traffic.

blu

Regarding the new update, I still had a hard lock pressing the home button.
I strongly suspect the issue goes deeper than NFS. MWU is neither the only nor the first game with this symptom. I expect nintendo to handle this in their IO stack. In the meantime, only options for us are to get used to living with occasional lockups, or play off-line (which is what I do, but for different reasons).

I have the game but no hard locks for me (4h00 on this game and just in online mode). Maybe it's because when i want to go back in the home menu, I press the Home button after the pause menu(select button I guess).

Hoodbury

Played for the first time last night and couldn't win any races except the first one they throw you in. I got third on one and was in first at the very end and somehow crashed right at the finish line. In the little crash replay it even looked like as I crashed I would have passed the finish line but nope. When it let me go again I was in third. :(

Had some fun just riding around and getting chased by the cops. It seems to be pretty tough to get away from them though. Probably more so since I crash so much though.

I only have two current friends with the game though so if anyone wants to add me:

NNID: Hoodbury

burgerdog

I strongly suspect the issue goes deeper than NFS. MWU is neither the only nor the first game with this symptom. I expect nintendo to handle this in their IO stack. In the meantime, only options for us are to get used to living with occasional lockups, or play off-line (which is what I do, but for different reasons).

I hope that the reason why Criterion is not experiencing this problem is because they have updated firmware. So the April update might fix these issues, hopefully!

marc^o^

I only have two current friends with the game though so if anyone wants to add me:

Half of the pleasure in this game is to compete with your friends' scores. I'll add you :)

I have the game but no hard locks for me (4h00 on this game and just in online mode). Maybe it's because when i want to go back in the home menu, I press the Home button after the pause menu(select button I guess).
Thanks for the tip.

japtor

Played for the first time last night and couldn't win any races except the first one they throw you in. I got third on one and was in first at the very end and somehow crashed right at the finish line. In the little crash replay it even looked like as I crashed I would have passed the finish line but nope. When it let me go again I was in third. :(

Had some fun just riding around and getting chased by the cops. It seems to be pretty tough to get away from them though. Probably more so since I crash so much though.

Added you to the player list here, bunch of people to try adding yourself and I just stuck you on there now too (...hopefully this will all be unnecessary when the communities feature comes out).

As far as the cars and racing go, I'd suggest playing whatever race that gives you the track tires upgrade before anything else cause that makes the biggest difference in handling feel I think. I said it a few posts back, but basically I go for the track tires, lightweight chassis, aero body, short gears (and burn nitrous I guess). Of course the lightweight chassis and aero body make your car more susceptible to crashes/takedowns so that might not be good for you, but I figure the better handling might let you avoid those crashes in the first place.
So far my only crashes have been the one time I tried going online, and in the pause menu after editing my license plate.

Speaking of which, if you haven't looked yet, at the very bottom of the license plate list are some Nintendo themed ones to match up with the cars they did. The list is long as hell so they're semi hidden cause it just takes a while to scroll down there.

olimpia84

Is there an update for this? I just tried accessing the game and I got prompted to download an update...don't know if it's a Wii U one though.

blu

I cannot login to origin after the update - error 10005.

blu

That last speedcam was at a wicked place.

There's a new update available, downloading it now (v1.2.0).

Also I saw yesterday you could add friends of friends within the game :)
Is there something Criterion didn't do well with this port?

what if you already reached 100?

I wish they allowed Origin friends so the Wii U limit is not an issue

going to update

learning MonHun is keeping me away

I see, hm, is there a menu with all the races? The way I'm doing it now is kind of odd, I have to jump into a car and see if it has new races for me.

You mean all races for all cars? No I don't think so, you have to switch cars then go to the easy drive menu > races.

blu

Isn't that good for you? =P
Not as good as me logging in and out at a whim ; ) Nah, that was a temporary glitch.

ed: I haven't finished the events in this game by any means yet, but I do have 30 hours plus in it, so I feel like posting a mini review of sorts. Game deserves at least as much.

Structure: it's a sandbox hosting a rich variety of events triggered at will, some of those forming a career of sorts. The event<->sandbox transition is absolutely seamless - nothing is changed from the rules of the sandbox. The sandbox is not just a frame the game is played in, it's the very fabric the entire experience is built upon. I particularly like the fact how events 'bleed' into the sandbox, once they end - racers scatter in the streets and you may choose to follow them, or not; your most wanted opponent keeps crossing your way (until you take them down); cops keep chasing you. This structure clicks perfectly with me, much more so than the structure of any other NFS I've played.

Simulation: it's far from being true-to-life, but it's darn good and most importantly balanced for maximum fun. The moments where I'm at awe with it are way more prevalent than those where something did not meet the expectations. Cars handling is distinctively individual too. Overall, kudos to Criterion for the nearly perfectly-balanced sim act.

Presentation: superb. Both technically and artistically. I've developed a strong fancy for Fairhaven. Another kudos here.

Sound: another superb element of the game. Just needs custom soundtracks and it'd be perfect.

Value: best 52 EUR I've spent on entertainment so far this year.

blu

MW climbed up one spot in the DE All-time chart (19->18), and that is with the outlier Toki Tori 2 soaring up, so MW could have been even at 17th position.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
This game is great, I have been playing the Vita version recently a lot. But I'm carving for playing it with the bigger gamepad with better graphics and a busier city... But I can't justify re-buying a game I already own. What to do, GAF?

Coolwhip

Banned
This game is great, I have been playing the Vita version recently a lot. But I'm carving for playing it with the bigger gamepad with better graphics and a busier city... But I can't justify re-buying a game I already own. What to do, GAF?

Throw the Vita version in the trash :>

Top Bottom