• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed won't have microtransactions (free DLC planned, no paid DLC for now)

Gamezone

Gold Member
Pleasantly surprised how deep the handling tuning goes. Tire pressure, brake bias, downforce, spring rate, sway bars and more. Much better than just a Grip <-----> Drift slider.

+1. Not everyone has stable high-speed internet. PSN, XBL, goes down from time to time, and EA's servers could go down as well. I'm really hoping they reverse this and make an offline mode, even if it has to be patched in later.

I wasn't defending their DRM. They just shut down the servers for Need for Speed World.

Bandit1

I wasn't defending their DRM. They just shut down the servers for Need for Speed World.

I know you weren't. My +1 was for your statement about why the game can't just evolve while you're online and not evolve while offline. What I said after that was just reiterating the drawbacks of the always online policy.

Enilced2

I still don't get what's so hard to understand about it.

I honestly don't get the big deal. Is it because there are internet outages? or is it because people don't have internet? Or is it because people expect the servers to be shut off for some reason in 6 months?

In this day and age with how prevalent the internet is and the existence of many online only games that don't get complained about for being online only. I truly and honestly don't understand why anyone has that big of a problem with it.

LewieP

I honestly don't get the big deal. Is it because there are internet outages? or is it because people don't have internet? Or is it because people expect the servers to be shut off for some reason in 6 months?

In this day and age with how prevalent the internet is and the existence of many online only games that don't get complained about for being online only. I truly and honestly don't understand why anyone has that big of a problem with it.
I don't have a problem with an online focussed game, but refusing to include an offline option for a single player game is ridiculous.

EA have provided zero justification for not offering an offline mode.

Regardless of the quality of your connection, the servers will flake out, and the servers will be turned off eventually.

This is a driving game. It's not an MMO. I would like to buy and play a game where I can drive in a car around a city but I want the option to play offline.

I currently live in a country where it is hard to get a reliable internet connection at all, but I held this opinion even when I lived in a country with great Internet infrastructure.

I'm not saying I'd never buy an online only single player game, but I would see the game as closer to a rental than a purchase, and thus spend accordingly.

It's EA's game, it's their choice what to do, but similarly I can react with disinterest.

Do you not remember the entire SimCity debacle? The one that probably killed Maxis?

Chris1

I don't care about online only either really, but there's no reason that this game can't be offline only other than "fuck you, customer". They've even said you can play it solo, with noone else.... but it has to be online only. Why? What does being only only gain someone who only wants to play by himself? Nothing.

I don't mind online only that much really, I was for the DRM on xb1 and I'll buy NFS, but if it's going to be online only there should be a legitimate reason for it. Like Crackdown-level of destruction, Titanfall, etc. NFS reasoning for being only only is bullshit.

L.O.R.D

Q) What was the reasoning behind the PC version being moved?
A) We moved the PC version in order to deliver an experience complete with unlocked frame rate. Find out more here.
so , a PS4/X1 racing game that run at 30 FPS ??

Gamezone

Gold Member

I have great internet, and I still won't buy it. There isn't a single good reason for that, other than trying to revoke freedom and ownership from us. They shut down servers all the time, leaving us with nothing. If their servers are down, or XBL/PSN is down, you are fucked. It's such a bad trend, and if we are fine with that, they will move on to the next thing.

There has to be manual transmission. It's bizarre they included that in the question about wheels, which weren't supported in Rivals for XB1 and PS4.

Edit: Well, a bit of googling makes it clear there isn't mt, which sucks. Didn't realize there wasn't mt in Rivals either, but I only played that a bit when it came to the EA Vault.

I just assumed the game would have it considering all the attention they're putting into the tuning aspect.

JJD

They presumably want to see if the game is successful before investing in making DLC.

Personally I think they are doing this to get good will from gamers considering the game is always online (a first for a console NFS game right?).

I always thought that NFS series have been pretty consistent in sales and the type of DLC that they usually release (mostly cars) should be cheap to develop.

Akai__

What the hell? This game is going to bomb so hard.

image.php

I was honestly thinking about getting it for PS4 because of the community, but 30fps is a deal breaker. I'll wait for the goodness of 60 God on PC.

Kayant

but, its a racing game on a new gen console
its suppose to be 60 FPS
forza done it
project cars done it

You're missing FH2, DC, Need for Speed: Rivals, The Crew, in your list.

Q) Will the game have split screen?
A) We wanted to maximise the visual fidelity of the game with the focus given to the full screen experience.

Loool that's one way to say no.

Harkens back to Burnout Paradise, year of free DLC. That is certainly one way to sweeten the always online aspects. Doesn't justify it unless the DLC is extremely generous.

stuminus3

I just want to know if there'll be an option to lock the PC version at 30fps or if I'll have to use MSI Afterburner or something.

LeleSocho

Banned

It's probably because you don't accept the answer or because you can't read as it has been explained multiple times even only in this thread.

So there is a solo mode with AI and yet you still have to be online because why? All I'm getting from this Q&A is that there will be free content updates like with Witcher 3 but unlike Witcher 3 you have to be connected to the internet at all times to play the game.

When everyone is saying they don't want a feature, usually its time to maybe think about what the fans want. Especially since before the game was announced they kept saying they were going to listen to fans and bring the series back to its roots. Always online for a single player experience has never made anyone happy.

Gamezone

Gold Member
So there is a solo mode with AI and yet you still have to be online because why? All I'm getting from this Q&A is that there will be free content updates like with Witcher 3 but unlike Witcher 3 you have to be connected to the internet at all times to play the game.

When everyone is saying they don't want a feature, usually its time to maybe think about what the fans want. Especially since before the game was announced they kept saying they were going to listen to fans and bring the series back to its roots. Always online for a single player experience has never made anyone happy.

I the official statement from EA was: "The benefits are nice".

EYEL1NER

Right now I am in a country that has shitty, slow internet that is super-expensive and capped at a very low amount of GBs per month. I don't really have any alternatives outside of this specific internet source because it is a remote location and this country's government has a monopoly on telecom here. I guess I could quit my job and head back home to the States, but that seems like a drastic decision, no? A decision that many other game companies don't require me to make to play their games.

Other online-only games don't get complained about? Complained about by whom? I will complain about almost any new single-player online-only game. I don't piss and moan about not being able to play WoW or other MMOs or other games that have traditionally always been always online because hey, that is what is expected! It's the norm!
Single player racing games haven't traditionally been online-only though and shoehorning a bunch of Facebook Feed-style community Autolog shit into a singleplayer experience isn't a good enough reason for me for this one to be.

There are plenty of new console games coming out all the time that I am able to order and play on my Xbone. Forza Horizon 2 has been a ton of fun and I have been offline for almost all of it save for a couple dozen hours this summer when I was on vacation. So I can continue having a blast up here in the Arctic, playing all kinds of new games, but this won't be one of them. Which is a shame because I have enjoyed every NFS game between Underground and now (sans The Run and Rivals, which I have not bought yet).

It isn't too hard to figure out why people would have objections to this and not be pleased with it. If you "truly and honestly don't understand," then I don't know what anyone can say to you.

It's probably because you don't accept the answer or because you can't read as it has been explained multiple times even only in this thread.
I'm assuming that the amount of caring or understanding that he devotes to things that do not personally affect him must only extend about a meter or two around him.

Syriel

Their racing games servers seem to stay online for a good few years.
I think Burnout Paradise is still playable online.
I'll have long moved onto something else by the time that happens anyway.
Don't really play old games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need_for_Speed:_World

You're missing FH2, DC, Need for Speed: Rivals, The Crew, in your list.

Loool that's one way to say no.

On consoles:

FH2 = 30fps
DC = 30fps
NFS:R = 30fps
The Crew = 30fps

Hitting a locked 60fps for a racing game on a console is not a simple feat.

bede-x

The headline is celebratory when it really should be 30fps on console, no splitscreen and always online DRM.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I don't have a problem with an online focussed game, but refusing to include an offline option for a single player game is ridiculous.

EA have provided zero justification for not offering an offline mode.

Regardless of the quality of your connection, the servers will flake out, and the servers will be turned off eventually.

This is a driving game. It's not an MMO. I would like to buy and play a game where I can drive in a car around a city but I want the option to play offline.

I currently live in a country where it is hard to get a reliable internet connection at all, but I held this opinion even when I lived in a country with great Internet infrastructure.

I'm not saying I'd never buy an online only single player game, but I would see the game as closer to a rental than a purchase, and thus spend accordingly.

It's EA's game, it's their choice what to do, but similarly I can react with disinterest.

Do you not remember the entire SimCity debacle? The one that probably killed Maxis?

Great post Lewie. This is why I won't be buying the game as well. There's simply no good reason for them to require an internet connection to play.

They need to drop the net requirement.

Korezo

This game sounds like it would of been amazing if it would of had an offline option. Too bad I don't support that online only crap anymore and don't trust EA. And If I did I would just buy The Crew which is more diverse and has way way bigger map.

ramuh

I wonder if I can buy the game play it for a week or so and return it for a full refund by saying I couldn't play it as I don't have any internets.

nikos

Can't make this shit up...

I know it was already known but it's good to emphasize for its shitness.

Nothing wrong with either of these. While 60fps is ideal, Driveclub has proven that racing games work at 30.

Always online wouldn't have even been an issue for me in the late 90s, as that's when I got my first cable modem. I really don't see how it's an issue in 2015. If it's a server thing, nobody will be playing the game by the time the servers go down anyway.

Lots of positive things in that Q&A but people continue to think negatively when it comes to NFS. As a fan of all types of racers, I'm really looking forward to it. It's a fun series for sure.

Top Bottom