• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed won't have microtransactions (free DLC planned, no paid DLC for now)

Hip Hop

So much damn negativity in this thread, it's depressing.

Ready to see how it comes out, will get it on PC if it turns out to be decent.

LeleSocho

Banned
Always online wouldn't have even been an issue for me in the late 90s, as that's when I got my first cable modem. I really don't see how it's an issue in 2015. If it's a server thing, nobody will be playing the game by the time the servers go down anyway.

Now this is what makes me flip my shit, aside all the problems previously mentioned, just because you are the worst type of consumer ever that plays a game only if it is a couple of years old at best don't assume that everyone is a closed-minded fool like you and don't even try to use that kind of stupid ass reasoning as an excuse.
There's ton of people that play valid games sometime classics that are even multiple decades old and now because anti consumer practices and blind idiots as consumers people might not be able to do that anymore.

People that settle down to pay 60+$ to rent a game for a couple of years with the clause of never been able to play the game ever again are the true cancer of this industry, not the publishers that only try to maximize their business profit.

Oh and just as an addendum: Their claim was stupid because they declared that 30fps was "incredibly smooth" which is obviously not.

eso76

Eh, it sounds good and looks amazing, but I just wouldnt be able to play it.

I don't even mind always on, I really don't care if the game wants to connect.
But with my ps4 disconnecting all the time I just wouldn't be able to play, unless the game tolerates a few drops ?

Q) Do I need to be connected to the internet at all times?
A) You will need a persistent internet connection, as Need for Speed is committed to being a live service so we can deliver an ongoing experience that is constantly changing and evolving. We will include free content updates and challenges as an ever-present ways for you to earn rewards and continually explore the game.
Games have been evolving post-launch since patches became a thing in the late 90's. What is this game doing that makes it actually fundamentally not function without a constant internet connection?
Microsoft communicated and demonstrated Crackdown 3's destruction/physics calculations being offloaded, explaining both why a persistent connection is required for this to function, and how it helps improve the game. Meanwhile, EA's "Evolving changing ongoing experience" and "the benefits are nice" is a bunch of vague, meaningless fluff.

And
A) We will include free content updates and challenges as an ever-present ways for you to earn rewards and continually explore the game.
what the hell are you talking about?

EA's communication on this is frustrating garbage.

eksy

Banned
https://help.ea.com/en/article/online-pass-has-been-discontinued/

Why did we decide to do this?
We listened to the feedback from players, and decided to do away with Online Pass. We hope that eliminating Online Pass will allow more people to play and enjoy EA games for a long time to come.

Now I don't believe that they decided to do away with the Online Pass simply due to player feedback. I believe they crunched the numbers, took into effect the bad press from it, and being the worst company of all times decided it wasn't worth the little profit they gained. Perhaps it was their plan all along to get rid of it but instead make all their games have mandatory always-online bullshit.

Either way, they since they have said this themselves, they set precedent that feedback can affect their decisions. So it's important to keep letting them know that this always-online system is not gonna fly. I don't understand why they didn't learn from that Sim City debacle. Someone phone Peter Moore of EA and drop truth bombs on 'im. There is no good reason to not include an offline mode. Rent, buy second-hand, borrow the game, but don't support this practice or else it will infest all future games.

Nothing wrong with either of these. While 60fps is ideal, Driveclub has proven that racing games work at 30.

Always online wouldn't have even been an issue for me in the late 90s, as that's when I got my first cable modem. I really don't see how it's an issue in 2015. If it's a server thing, nobody will be playing the game by the time the servers go down anyway.

Lots of positive things in that Q&A but people continue to think negatively when it comes to NFS. As a fan of all types of racers, I'm really looking forward to it. It's a fun series for sure.

Just because you're always online, it doesn't mean the game, EA's servers or the PSN/XBL servers are.

Servers overloaded at launch?
You can't play the game.
Servers under maintenance?
You can't play the game.
Servers getting attacked by script kiddies during the holidays?
You can't play the game.
Should the servers go down in the middle of your game session?
You most likely will get booted to the title screen.

And you really still don't see the issue?

Yoday

Just because you're always online, it doesn't mean the game, EA's servers or the PSN/XBL servers are.

Servers overloaded at launch?
You can't play the game.
Servers under maintenance?
You can't play the game.
Servers getting attacked by script kiddies during the holidays?
You can't play the game.
Should the servers go down in the middle of your game session?
You most likely will get booted to the title screen.

And you really still don't see the issue?
Eh, as someone who has dealt with all of these issues in MMOs I can honestly say that they are incredibly minor issues to me. I just can't get that upset over having a few instances of not being able to play a specific game. I think Destiny is proof that a very large number of people have the same feel that I do. I agree that they need to do a better job of explaining why the game is always online, but the fact that it is just doesn't bother me at all.

Eh, as someone who has dealt with all of these issues in MMOs I can honestly say that they are incredibly minor issues to me. I just can't get that upset over having a few instances of not being able to play a specific game. I think Destiny is proof that a very large number of people have the same feel that I do. I agree that they need to do a better job of explaining why the game is always online, but the fact that it is just doesn't bother me at all.

The games you mentioned are all online games and I suppose it's sort of expected that these things can happen there. Destiny doesn't offer a SP modus, either. When you say that EA needs to do a better job explaining always-online for this game, I can tell you that they can't. Why? Because there's not a single good reason why this game has to be always-online. This FAQ even mentions a single-player mode with AI drivers. So why would I have to deal with the server issues I mentioned with this particular game? There's absolutely no excuse for it on a $60 SP game. To me it would be like requiring an always-online connection for a movie, just so it can show you Twitter reactions after certain scenes during the movie (please excuse the terrible analogy, but this is the best I can come up with this morning).

And the reactions show that most people here are not okay with always-online, if there's no need for it.

FinalD

FAQ for EA means something else, Falsely Answered Questions.

Or Fabricated Avoiding Questions.

Q) Is it Open World?
A) Yes, Need for Speed is set in a rich open world with approximately twice the amount of drivable roads than NFS Rivals.

Q) How big is the world?
A) Ventura Bay has approximately twice the amount of drivable roads than Need for Speed Rivals.

English isn't my mother tongue but "twice than" sounds awful to me. Is this proper language?

Gamezone

Gold Member

The game wouldn`t be a massive multiplayer online game without always online. That`s something everyone would expect. When you buy Need for Speed in order to play single player with AI, you don`t expect the game to require this garbage. Stop comparing those.

Yoday

The game wouldn`t be a massive multiplayer online game without always online. That`s something everyone would expect. When you buy Need for Speed in order to play single player with AI, you don`t expect the game to require this garbage. Stop comparing those.
When did I compare them? I said that MMOs are where I have experienced the issues that come with always online, and that those issues really don't bother me. Like I said, EA does need a better explanation/reason of why online is required, but I don't have a problem with it either way personally.

Doofcake

That's nice, but it's still always-online so no thanks. A singleplayer racing game shouldn't be always-online. If EA fixes that, I'll buy it.

Izcarielo

Banned
Do they need 6 months in order to unlock the framerate in Pc? I thought these consoles architecture was pc-alike so no problems to port games.
I guess i was wrong

bede-x

Like I said, EA does need a better explanation/reason of why online is required, but I don't have a problem with it either way personally.

Maybe you will when you get older. Perhaps at some point you'll feel that revisiting the movies, music and games that were created when you were young or perhaps even before, would be something of value to you or perhaps your children. Of course by then it could be too late. The servers were killed years ago and maybe it's impossible to get the game working without them, assuming someone bothered to perserve it at all. Now with MMOs there's often a reason for games being online, but in this instance they haven't explained why it's needed, like you mention..

No microtransactions on release, then patching them later is EA's new thing. That way they avoid the backlash, get sales, then try and milk it for all it is worth.

See PvZ:GW, BF4 etc

Yoday

Maybe you will when you get older. Perhaps at some point you'll feel that revisiting the movies, music and games that were created when you were young or perhaps even before, would be something of value to you or perhaps your children. Of course by then it could be too late. The servers were killed years ago and maybe it's impossible to get the game working without them, assuming someone bothered to perserve it at all. Now with MMOs there's often a reason for games being online, but in this instance they haven't explained why it's needed, like you mention..
Way too make baseless assumptions there. Apparently only youngsters are allowed to be okay with always online games. I wouldn't be surprised if I revisit older games more than most of the people in these NFS threads that complain about the servers being shut down.

The game is released on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One November 3rd in North America and November 5th Worldwide. The PC version will be released in Spring 2016.

tumblr_inline_nrr5852f6y1r329ne_500.gif

bede-x

I wouldn't be surprised if I revisit older games more than most of the people in these NFS threads that complain about the servers being shut down.

Then you should know the importance of not tying something to an online server, unless it's absolutely necessary and yet you say you don't have a problem either way.

MMaRsu

Banned

Good so you dont care at all about fellow gamers please move on

Gamezone

Gold Member
WHY IS IT ONLINE ONLY U FUCKBAGS...

Fucking Ea bullshit

I don`t like Need for Speed that much, but if they manage to pull of always online this time, there is no stopping them from doing it in future single player games as well. Isn`t this their first attempt to implement always online in a single player game since Sim City?

MMaRsu

Banned
I don`t like Need for Speed that much, but if they manage to pull of always online this time, there is no stopping them from doing it in future single player games as well. Isn`t this their first attempt to implement always online in a single player game since Sim City?

Pretty much if this sells well its sets a very dangerous precedent. Sadly people either dont or wont care

A game that isn't exclusively online should keep functioning regardless of what the servers are up to. Basically once EA takes the servers down, which they do very often and quickly for their games, your purchase is now worthless.

I will never support such practices. I hope EA changes it before the game's release.

Welcome to games as a service and say goodbye to ownership. Rent for 18-24 months then never have the ability to play it again once the servers are shut down.

Great deal, where do I sign up?

xrnzaaas

They should drop the always online rule as well, especially since a lot of people won't mind playing the game only with bots. And you don't need to be online 100% of the time for the challenges, leaderboards etc. to work.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
How EA going to claim they listening to feedback but the reaction to always online has been negative since the beginning and it's still in the game ?
FOH EA.

A) You will need a persistent internet connection, as Need for Speed is committed to being a live service so we can deliver an ongoing experience that is constantly changing and evolving. We will include free content updates and challenges as an ever-present ways for you to earn rewards and continually explore the game.

Q) Do I have to play with others or can I play on my own?
A) You'll also have the choice of solo mode, with just you exploring Ventura Bay alongside AI drivers.
PhEHEz3.gif

I still don't understand the reasoning behind this any of this. Just can't wrap my head around it. ''Committed to being a live service''? Umm, okay. Absolutely laughable. Just let me play it without having to worry about your shitty servers.

Gamezone

Gold Member
PhEHEz3.gif

I still don't understand the reasoning behind this any of this. Just can't wrap my head around it. ''Committed to being a live service''? Umm, okay. Absolutely laughable. Just let me play it without having to worry about your shitty servers.

My bet: Always online DRM because they are releasing it on PC as well.

prudislav

My bet: Always online DRM because they are releasing it on PC as well.
which sounds quite strange especially when on PC they use DRM combo of Origin and Denuvo - which takes the crackers months to take down. And its online-only on consoles aswell and neither of new consoles is hacked yet

Top Bottom