• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I wish no one get banned but at the same time the rule of law must be upheld.
Sure, but currently it feels like getting two bans for two weeks each equal slaps on the wrist, and the 3rd time is a permaban equaling an execution.
I believe penalties need to be harder at the start to avoid perming.

Dark Rider

Sure, but currently it feels like getting two bans for two weeks each equal slaps on the wrist, and the 3rd time is a permaban equaling an execution.
I believe penalties need to be harder at the start to avoid perming.

You want penalties so be harder? as in ban say for a month from the first offence?

Fake

I'm assuming the mod team are taking into consideration if the spoiler was by mistake or intentional. Even two members got their ban reduced based on that from a perm to a month.
Spoke the same thing early in this thread. There are mistakes and account suicides.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Banned
From what I remember

Pede > Centipede > Some song about being a nimble navigator. I think basically it’s an in-reference to smoothly dealing with a hostile media, meming Trump to success, and dealing with the typical woke cultists.

I didn’t say it wasn’t cringe, mind. Just trying to help.

The original audio comes from a nature documentary where a man is talking about centipedes and how they are “nimble navigators” with “sharp hollow fangs”.

That audio was used in a dubstep song.

That dubstep song was used at the beginning of many pro-trump clip compilations. For example.
Part of this is because a popular meme at the time was “MLG” videos where you would cover random things with flashing text, gifs, reaction images, loud sound effects, and dubstep as a parody of amateur Call of Duty compilations.

These compilations would regularly get posted to /r/the_donald, which would respond to them very positively, and would start voluntarily calling themselves “centipedes” and “MAGApedes” as reference to the videos.

bronk

Banned
I suspect that most current_year GAFers are going to be pretty turned off the game when they find out the spoilers. My advice is to just rip the band-aid off and intentionally expose yourself. It's not worth holding out for imo.
100% this. Go save yourself. I was on the fence because of the rumors. The spoiler thread saved me $65.

Last edited:
Spoke the same thing early in this thread. There are mistakes and account suicides.

I still don’t understand how a spoiler gets posted by “mistake” when that same post looked like this:

CyberPunk thread

It’s not a leak unless *insert explicit TLOU2 leak here*.

Joking aside, this is more COD-like than I expected.

Where is the mistake? Birdo posted right before the spoiler sticky went up so I’m glad he is getting a second chance, but I still don’t understand your definition of “mistake.” He didn’t post it on accident, he knew what he was doing.

Last edited:

Fake

I still don’t understand how a spoiler gets posted by “mistake” when that same post looked like this:

Read my previous posts. Not hard to get it. I almost did by mistake because I was having a discussion inside the spoiler thread. Happens all the time when I use the phone for posting.

Gonna repeat over and over again. I not saying 'who' are making by mistake or not, I just saying thats the staff job.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
You want penalties so be harder? as in ban say for a month from the first offence?
Depending on the offense two weeks instead of one, or a month instead of two weeks would hurt more and could potentially prevent a permaban down the line.
The aproprite penalty is obviously chosen by the mods, but i am all for harder penalties but avoiding permanent bans.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
This site is ridiculous, because it seems that the moderators here think that they can read people's minds. I've been banned from three threads because the moderators concluded that I was posting with bad intentions. In one thread they thought that I was posting YouTube videos for the sole purpose of igniting console wars, when I was actually doing so because the contents of the videos were relevant to the thread. In another thread they accused me of being partisan because I expressed (in a non-antagonistic way) preference for a particular console. And in yet another thread they accused me of trying to derail the thread (The Last of Us Spoilers) because I made comments expressing my understanding of why some people think that the game has a political agenda and supports bias against a particular demographic. It's like you have to walk on eggshells around here, which takes the enjoyment out of posting.

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
BluRayHiDef BluRayHiDef

This is page 48 of the last of us thread. Look at the amount of spam you've generated across the last two pages. Spam which is all antagonstic playing on IdPol, violence and sexism. Every post looks like another attempt to dangle bait out there and try and get a bite from someone. Especially with posts like these.

You've already identified you've been banned by different mods for the same behaviour across different threads. So you would think at some point you would learn. It's always the same low effort posts being 'concerned' about something, while you just ask or point something out. Posts in which you haven't even watched the content. Posts like these:

Or posts about a flyer about COVID you receievd in the mail that you posted in the same thread. So please dial back the wide eyed lamb act. At the moment the evidence does not weigh in your favour. If you want to change that, we expect posts of much more substance with signficant content going forward.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
BluRayHiDef BluRayHiDef

This is page 48 of the last of us thread. Look at the amount of spam you've generated across the last two pages. Spam which is all antagonstic playing on IdPol, violence and sexism Every post looks like another attempt to dangle bait out there and try and get a bite from someone. Especially with posts like these.

You've already identified you've been banned by different mods for the same behaviour across different threads. So you would think at some point you would learn. It's always the same low effort posts being 'concerned' about something, while you just ask or point something out. Posts in which you haven't even watched the content. Posts like these:

Or posts about a flyer about COVID you receievd in the mail that you posted in the same thread. So please dial back the wide eyed lamb act. At the moment the evidence does not weigh in your favour. If you want to change that, we expect posts of much more substance with signficant content going forward.

Spam is defined as unsolicited or undesired electronic messages; however, all comments in a forum are unsolicited by their very nature and whether or not they are undesired is entirely subjective, because one person may mind a comment but another person may not. So, declaring my comments as spam is meaningless.

As for being antagonistic, that was not my intention; an argument pertaining to the supposed presence of identity politics in the game had developed in that thread and I was simply expressing my opinion about it.

As for me expressing favoritism for one platform, so what? Why is it a crime to like one console over another and to express that in a non-antagonistic manner? Are users supposed to hide how they truly feel in order to not offend others or in order to feign an atmosphere that's free of bias? Everyone has favorites and biases; that's normal and there's nothing wrong with that in and of itself. As long as it's expressed respectfully, it shouldn't be an issue.

As for me posting content that I supposedly haven't watched, I did that in regard to only one video and I admitted that I hadn't watched it yet, so I was being honest.

The only thing that I'm guilty of is expressing my opinion. The problem is this site's restrictive rules. I think I'll be limiting my posting from now on, because who knows what else I post will be considered "spam," "antagonistic," or otherwise "troublesome." This place is ridiculous.

Moogle11

Banned
BluRayHiDef BluRayHiDef

This is page 48 of the last of us thread. Look at the amount of spam you've generated across the last two pages. Spam which is all antagonstic playing on IdPol, violence and sexism. Every post looks like another attempt to dangle bait out there and try and get a bite from someone. Especially with posts like these.

I'm very supportive of not being remotely ban happy as that kills discourse which is problematic with traditional forums being a relic of the past and mostly frequented by 30-40+ people.

That said, it's tricky to find a balance of not being too ban happy and not giving so many chances that overall discourse is harmed by too many threads being derailed by people who don't get the message after multiple thread bans, temp bans etc. I'm glad I don't have to make those calls, but I hope you all find the right balance soon on the gaming side. It's going to continue to be tough as console launches bring out the worst of the worst, and coinciding with a presidential election year on very politically active gaming forum makes it even worse than usual.

Bill O'Rights

Staff Member
Spam is defined as unsolicited or undesired electronic messages; however, all comments in a forum are unsolicited by their very nature and whether or not they are undesired is entirely subjective, because one person may mind a comment but another person may not. So, declaring my comments as spam is meaningless.

As for being antagonistic, that was not my intention; an argument pertaining to the supposed presence of identity politics in the game had developed in that thread and I was simply expressing my opinion about it.

As for me expressing favoritism for one platform, so what? Why is it a crime to like one console over another and to express that in a non-antagonistic manner? Are users supposed to hide how they truly feel in order to not offend others or in order to feign an atmosphere that's free of bias? Everyone has favorites and biases; that's normal and there's nothing wrong with that in and of itself. As long as it's expressed respectfully, it shouldn't be an issue.

As for me posting content that I supposedly haven't watched, I did that in regard to only one video and I admitted that I hadn't watched it yet, so I was being honest.

The only thing that I'm guilty of is expressing my opinion. The problem is this site's restrictive rules. I think I'll be limiting my posting from now on, because who knows what else I post will be considered "spam," "antagonistic," or otherwise "troublesome." This place is ridiculous.

Short Pointless Annoying Message - perhaps you're unfamiliar with that acronym, I think it might be a bit old. Also a reply (to a post/thread) - in its nature - is not unsolicited. A thread is started in order to 'solicit' opinions or answers from other users. However, semantics is always a terrible debate to get involved in. Why could you not make your points in one post? For example here:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/all-...-here-and-nowhere-else.1538175/post-257970201 (and)

However, the post above shows you can make posts of substance and with actual content. Which means you are choosing to post in the manner you are doing so across these threads - which is what we are saying to you. If every one of your posts was framed like this I doubt you would have an issue. As of now, you have just proven the point that you are actively engaging in this way, from choice. We have given you examples of posts that cause issues, asked you to engage with more substance and give you light touch nudges to that effect with reply bans. Many people are embroiled in heated debates in those threads, but their posts are of substance and therefore display a genuineness to their argument/input.

You should also bear in mind, we don't hunt or actively read every one of your posts. Other users report your posts for being disginenuous, then we have to go back through the thread, read and contextualise them and see if the reports are plausible. Given the examples above and the eloquent nature of your reply, you can see they are not unfounded. And you shouldn't discount the amount of reports we do reject, but there comes a point where you have to take on board what is being said. We will judge future posts against the standard of this rebuttal which concludes as a cordial disagreement. Thank you for the polite tone.

Last edited:

Bill O'Rights

Staff Member
I'm very supportive of not being remotely ban happy as that kills discourse which is problematic with traditional forums being a relic of the past and mostly frequented by 30-40+ people.

That said, it's tricky to find a balance of not being too ban happy and not giving so many chances that overall discourse is harmed by too many threads being derailed by people who don't get the message after multiple thread bans, temp bans etc. I'm glad I don't have to make those calls, but I hope you all find the right balance soon on the gaming side. It's going to continue to be tough as console launches bring out the worst of the worst, and coinciding with a presidential election year on very politically active gaming forum makes it even worse than usual.

A lot of the mods are from the days before twitter, reddit etc. were established so forums were our main method of exchange. Unless you wanted to brave irc or usenet. We try to be as light touch as possible because we were also those people back in the day being banned for being too 'enthusiastic' or for trolling a little. We know how it feels to be banned/removed from a board. Angry, sheepish, sad, indignant are just a few of the emotions that can bubble forth. Our decision making mainly centres around disruption to the thread, hostility to others or just flat out trolling (like the leak posting). That's all we really feel we have to cover. We let things run - to an extent - in the hope they are solved in thread between members. Otherwise you just end up with bottled frustration that explodes in other ways, or in specific events.

When the thread looks likes it going to be overtaken by a personal feud, or an individual on a crusade to bait people/derail the thread into a quagmire that spoils the purpose/enjoyment of other members then we use reply bans. Sometimes, this is to protect posters from going too far over something stupid and earning a proper ban. More often than not, it's used as an elbow in the ribs to say 'ok, knock it off now - let's get a bit more serious and on topic'. Obviously, over time some people will feel reply bans more often than others as they fail to adapt or just regress into old habits.

We try - as much as possible - to remove the personal element of any action. Though it feels very personal at times, we'd like it much more to be viewed as an older sibling type of relationship. Ninety percent of the time we all get on fine, but on occassion we have to admonish a metaphorical but affectionate 'kick under the table' in effect.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
A lot of the mods are from the days before twitter, reddit etc. were established so forums were our main method of exchange. Unless you wanted to brave irc or usenet. We try to be as light touch as possible because we were also those people back in the day being banned for being too 'enthusiastic' or for trolling a little. We know how it feels to be banned/removed from a board. Angry, sheepish, sad, indignant are just a few of the emotions that can bubble forth. Our decision making mainly centres around disruption to the thread, hostility to others or just flat out trolling (like the leak posting). That's all we really feel we have to cover. We let things run - to an extent - in the hope they are solved in thread between members. Otherwise you just end up with bottled frustration that explodes in other ways, or in specific events.

When the thread looks likes it going to be overtaken by a personal feud, or an individual on a crusade to bait people/derail the thread into a quagmire that spoils the purpose/enjoyment of other members then we use reply bans. Sometimes, this is to protect posters from going too far over something stupid and earning a proper ban. More often than not, it's used as an elbow in the ribs to say 'ok, knock it off now - let's get a bit more serious and on topic'. Obviously, over time some people will feel reply bans more often than others as they fail to adapt or just regress into old habits.

We try - as much as possible - to remove the personal element of any action. Though it feels very personal at times, we'd like it much more to be viewed as an older sibling type of relationship. Ninety percent of the time we all get on fine, but on occassion we have to admonish a metaphorical but affectionate 'kick under the table' in effect.

Appreciate the explanation and insight into how this site is moderated. You guys are amazing at doing a difficult job while staying more neutral than most humans are capable of. I don't envy you right now with the hateful spoiling and account suicides on top of the normal console war and politics nonsense you have to deal with on a daily basis.

I just hope you Mods don't decide to account suicide because we all drive you guys crazy when the consoles launch and the Great Console War of 2020 escalates to nuclear warfare. :messenger_beaming:

Bill O'Rights

Staff Member
I just hope you Mods don't decide to account suicide because we all drive you guys crazy when the consoles launch and the Great Console War of 2020 escalates to nuclear warfare. :messenger_beaming:

200.gif

And if not

SourSpottedAnnelida-size_restricted.gif

CraftyIllustriousFunnelweaverspider-size_restricted.gif

Moogle11

Banned

I definitely appreciate the way things are ran here these days! My post was more along the lines of being glad I'm not one that has to figure out how to keep discussion civil during a console launch that coincides with deeply divided presidential election.

My only two cents on the console warrior front, is as things get closer and heated maybe some can just be banned for something like 3 months post launch when some things have calmed down a bit. Pre-launch during launch year is always the worst in my experience. After that it's mostly bickering in the sales threads or things like digital foundry multi-plat game performance threads and more easily avoided/ignored.

TLZ

Banned

Good job. At least I know it's not cut throat here. (I already felt it was the case just observing). I know how hard a job fair and wise moderation can be, especially throwing personal feelings and bias out of the equation. I've moderated another board for 11 years and at peak season it was hectic. Reading every post, understanding context, knowing a poster's history, etc all play a role. I stepped down because of fatigue. Many a time I wanted out and just wanted to be a "forum tourist", which I happily am now. It's a big responsibility for the people who really want to be fair, and not just power hungry and happy.

I appreciate what you all do and hope you stay fair and wise, and I stay out of your ban sights (y)

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Depending on the offense two weeks instead of one, or a month instead of two weeks would hurt more and could potentially prevent a permaban down the line.
The aproprite penalty is obviously chosen by the mods, but i am all for harder penalties but avoiding permanent bans.

Yes and no.
I think the ban should be proportionate to the offence + the history of the poster offences.
Also mods do keep in mind the potential of some malicious members exploiting the no perms system so keep disrupting the community with no intention of changing ever.

Keep in mind as things go currently (which is the way I like it) the mods start with a nudge warning or thread ban..etc to appeal to the offenders good side if they had any. If a member prove they don't have any good intentions then things escalate from there up to a perm. Still the hope is that the member reform their behavior but if not the community should not suffer for it for no reason.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
What's ironic is that according to what Moderator Bill O' Rights had said, your post is spam and is definitely antagonistic. I wonder if they'll give you a warning and ban you from this thread. Expressing an "undesired" or "unsolicited" opinion is wrong, according to them, but I guess it's okay to outright antagonize someone by making fun of them. Wow, this place really is a joke.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
What's ironic is that according to what Moderator Bill O' Rights had said, your post is spam and is definitely antagonistic. I wonder if they'll give you a warning ban you from this thread. Expressing an "undesired" or "unsolicited" opinion is wrong, according to them, but I guess it's okay to outright antagonize someone by making fun of them. Wow, this place really is a joke.

Okay, bye.

Fake

Good job. At least I know it's not cut throat here. (I already felt it was the case just observing). I know how hard a job fair and wise moderation can be, especially throwing personal feelings and bias out of the equation. I've moderated another board for 11 years and at peak season it was hectic. Reading every post, understanding context, knowing a poster's history, etc all play a role. I stepped down because of fatigue. Many a time I wanted out and just wanted to be a "forum tourist", which I happily am now. It's a big responsibility for the people who really want to be fair, and not just power hungry and happy.

I appreciate what you all do and hope you stay fair and wise, and I stay out of your ban sights (y)
I also worked as a mod, is harsh sometimes. I guess we all agree how great staff here have been about clear things up.

I suspect that most current_year GAFers are going to be pretty turned off the game when they find out the spoilers. My advice is to just rip the band-aid off and intentionally expose yourself. It's not worth holding out for imo.

I’ve honestly reached a point where I am considering your recommendation pretty seriously. I already had a key detail spoiled, and instead of just playing virtual minesweeper for the next 2 months I may as well just embrace all the leaks, internalize it, and move on

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
I’ve honestly reached a point where I am considering your recommendation pretty seriously. I already had a key detail spoiled, and instead of just playing virtual minesweeper for the next 2 months I may as well just embrace all the leaks, internalize it, and move on

The deets are so ridiculous that you’ll be more disappointed if you spend 2 months dodging them only to play it and realise it’s retarded

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

That's probably what I would do if this happened to Halo because I wouldn't want to have to either constantly be on guard everywhere against spoilers or give up GAF, all gaming sites, completely avoid YouTube and all social media (although that last one would probably be a blessing).

There is also merit to what Papa Papa said:
"The deets are so ridiculous that you’ll be more disappointed if you spend 2 months dodging them only to play it and realise it’s retarded "
If after the spoilers you think it's retarded and don't want to play the game anymore, hey you saved $60.

But it really sucks you should have to make that choice especially if you don't find the story retarded and are still really excited about the game but now all the biggest plot surprises are surprises no more due to some assholes that just have to ruin it for people like you.

There are often some spoilers for most big games, but really bad thing with this particular game is the entire story and the accompanying video has been leaked. It's not just a few minor details.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This site is ridiculous, because it seems that the moderators here think that they can read people's minds. I've been banned from three threads because the moderators concluded that I was posting with bad intentions. In one thread they thought that I was posting YouTube videos for the sole purpose of igniting console wars, when I was actually doing so because the contents of the videos were relevant to the thread. In another thread they accused me of being partisan because I expressed (in a non-antagonistic way) preference for a particular console. And in yet another thread they accused me of trying to derail the thread (The Last of Us Spoilers) because I made comments expressing my understanding of why some people think that the game has a political agenda and supports bias against a particular demographic. It's like you have to walk on eggshells around here, which takes the enjoyment out of posting.
Somewhat reasonable post disputing moderation tactics, despite being accompanied with banned strikethrough over username.

Me:
giphy.gif

Kamina

Golden Boy
Yes and no.
I think the ban should be proportionate to the offence + the history of the poster offences.
Also mods do keep in mind the potential of some malicious members exploiting the no perms system so keep disrupting the community with no intention of changing ever.

Keep in mind as things go currently (which is the way I like it) the mods start with a nudge warning or thread ban..etc to appeal to the offenders good side if they had any. If a member prove they don't have any good intentions then things escalate from there up to a perm. Still the hope is that the member reform their behavior but if not the community should not suffer for it for no reason.
I dont think the community would suffer more or less with the proposed adaptions.
Banning someone for a loger period of time, lets say 12 months, imstead of permabanning them could cause a change for that individual.
I have no problems with permabanning unchanging individuals.
I have also no problem with giving a nuge at the first offense.
What i think is wrong is thst the second offense also feels like a nuge only, and then we jump to permaban right away.
As I said: First, slap on the wrist; Second, slap on the wrist; third, execution.
I am certain that some users which are now permabanned would have taken the situation more seriously, if they had been banned for a few months at the second/x offense.

Last edited:

plushyp

I know this thread is for banned members only but can something also be done about locking threads based on articles from dubious sites? Sausage Roll produces nothing but clickbait articles with speculation and improbable sources. They are very clearly designed for baiting and inciting as evident from the two threads that came out of it:

The threads are primarily about users attacking/mocking each other while discussing the game itself is secondary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom