• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #153 - "Fear Itself"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Theme - "Fear Itself"

Word Limit: 2222

Submission Deadline: Friday, October 3rd by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Saturday, October 4th and goes until Monday, October 6th at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Grace Periods: Each of the above deadlines will be followed by a 6-hour grace period. Submissions made after the end of the grace period will be ineligible, and votes cast after the end of the grace period will not be counted. Remember that these are grace periods, not extensions of the deadline--you should still submit your work or cast your vote by the deadline set above.

Optional Secondary Objective: Overcome Resistance!

"Resistance is experienced as fear; the degree of fear equates to the strength of Resistance. ... If it meant nothing to us, there'd be no Resistance."
-Steven Pressfield, The War of Art

I read Pressfield's War of Art last week, and really appreciated his rejiggering of procrastination or writer's block or whatever else you want to call it as the simple and evocative Resistance. Resistance pushes back when we try to do something creative and cool. Resistance tells us we suck and shouldn't bother. Resistance convinces us we can do it later, tomorrow, next week, and that right now we really need to be checking Facebook. Resistance is a cunning, multifarious enemy.

Let's push back on that. If you're a regular and usually wait til the last minute to write and then submit during the grace period on Friday (hi, that's me!), get your story written early--let's say we'll aim for done in draft form by the prior Sunday (for extra incentive, report in on your progress!). Just sit down and bang it out regardless of how you feel about the quality. That's what revision is for.

If you've joined us before but are wavering on writing anything and aren't sure you're any good, write! Post in the thread a bit and commit to getting something done, to pushing back on that internal voice that says you shouldn't bother and it's a waste of time.

If you're a lurker, watching from the outside and considering maybe someday writing something for one of the challenges... then let this be the time! Jump in, we'd be glad to have you. No time like the present and all that.

Note that Resistance also works on a meta-level. If you read the above and think "well great, now I'm just going to feel guilty when I don't have anything done, thanks Cyan," surprise! That's Resistance again, trying to convince you ahead of time that you don't have what it takes. Don't worry about feeling guilty or not, or whether it's actually possible to get a draft done early given your busy life, or anything really except letting go of all that and just doing some writing.

Whew!

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Cyan

Banned
What's the difference between 'fear' and 'fear itself'?

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself — nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror..."
-FDR

I found it somewhat more evocative as a theme than just "fear." But by all means interpret it however you want!

Not sure how to tackle that secondary. Heh.

Haha, dunno what to tell you man. Keep doing what you're doing? I think it's awesome that you manage to get first drafts ready so quickly, and that you consistently churn out high-quality work every time.

Ashes

Banned
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself — nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror..."
-FDR

I found it somewhat more evocative as a theme than just "fear." But by all means interpret it however you want!

Cool.

Nezumi

Goya-Capricho-43.jpg

Me right now...

Cyan

Banned
Caught it..in
Cool. I'm in.
Hmm, got an idea rolling.
I'll commit to a complete first draft by Sunday. Got an idea cooking that's right in my wheelhouse.
:D

Me right now...
:O

Will this be the writing challenge I finally participate in?
Do eeet!
Also tell TDM he should do some writing!

Damn, I didn't expect to be so close to winning last week! Lucky first time :p

Interesting topic. Hopefully something pops in my head for it.

Dresden

Finished the first draft! Admittedly it's about as short as my last submission, so I might flesh it out as I edit it. Which I'll probably put off until the last day, but at least the actual writing portion is mostly done.

Mike M

Nick N
Finished the first draft! Admittedly it's about as short as my last submission, so I might flesh it out as I edit it. Which I'll probably put off until the last day, but at least the actual writing portion is mostly done.
Are... Are we throwing down?

Mully

Finished my first draft a few minutes ago. Thanks Cyan for including that bit of advice in the OP.

I'm glad I'll have the next two weeks to work on it now.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
I'll be participating. I have certain personal motivations that will help me drive this entry.

Exciting that people have drafts so early.

Shout out to Scrooge McDuck, Charade, Cyan, and Mike M. Truly thanks for the critiques. It's really helped make this a worthwhile experience. I'll try to keep up my end on the critiques as well.

theWB27

Pretty awesome some yas already have a first draft....I'm gonna use my 4 hours at work to think of something. Going in....I will warn I like to leave allot for the reader to interpret.

So I just e-published my second book (e-publishing is much like regular publishing, except no one ever reads what you wrote), and I'm ...

... wondering if 2222 is enough words to do anything interesting. Hmm.

Hmmmmmm

Cool! My piece is going to be entitled "Fear because tldr"

TLDR.

Finished?

Anyway, that's just a start. I'll work on it after I learn more about the rules and stuff. Thanks for organizing this!

oooooooooooooooo

great theme :eek:

I have a tight idea for this one just ready to burst in my head. I think I'll drag myself out of the shadows for this one...

Ourobolus

Banned
Just in Case (1304 words)

All those other times I ended up being first have always ended terribly, so throw mine into the middle of the list when you collect them, dammit!

pw: standard password (quote if you need it)

Actually, can someone verify that link works? It seems fine on my phone, but my wife gets some weird error.

Mike M

Nick N
Just in Case

All those other times I ended up being first have always ended terribly, so throw mine into the middle of the list when you collect them, dammit!

pw: standard password (quote if you need it)

Actually, can someone verify that link works? It seems fine on my phone, but my wife gets some weird error.
Not working on my end.

Mully

What's everybody been reading lately?

I'm in the process of finishing up Jon Steele's, War Junkie, and some of Hunter Thompson's articles. It's been really fun using their work as a jumping point to create coherent, rambling, storytelling/reporting.

I've also binge-listened to a bunch of podcasts recently. The stories Risk! and The Moth have heavily influenced my personal essays.

Tangent

Congrats, Cyan!!! And, great prompt and secondary despite not being able to consult with your sister slacking on the job of being the entire advisory board. Yeah but I like the prompt & secondary; I think the pep talks helps a lot too.

Well, to all of you just completing your first drafts right now, I completed mine even before the LAST challenge was up.

So I just e-published my second book (e-publishing is much like regular publishing, except no one ever reads what you wrote), and I'm ...
... wondering if 2222 is enough words to do anything interesting. Hmm.
Hmmmmmm

Wow congrats on the second e-book!!! And yeah, I wish I could get over that with longer stories: I keep on wondering if I have anything interesting enough to ramble about. This thought makes me think I shouldn't even do NaNoWriMo!

Aaaand your submission is done and done.

Fight the power! Don't submit anything! Protest Cyan's tyranny!
This made me crack up out loud. Again, so fitting for your avatar.

Oh man I have a crazy idea for this one. I'm at 1400 words and am a little worried that I'll go over. It's actually pretty silly but I'm liking it! And it even takes place in the same fictional universe as my other stories. I have to go to bed now but I'll work on it more later.

Wow congrats on the second e-book!!! And yeah, I wish I could get over that with longer stories: I keep on wondering if I have anything interesting enough to ramble about. This thought makes me think I shouldn't even do NaNoWriMo!
Yeah, I generally have the opposite problem. :p

Though I've been considering writing a novel in the piecemeal, Sherlock Holmes-style. Not necessarily detective genre, just serial short stories bound together by the thread of a few familiar characters. And at the end you bundle up the lot and call it a full length novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom