• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #153 - "Fear Itself"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last time I got really into one of these I wrote 6000 words. I think the limit was 2500.

I guess this post is about the usefulness of planning ahead.

Ainsz

Yes, we're stricter on the word count than the deadlines, funny enough. :p Though you do have a good bit of time to find 151 words to cut!

Ah no problem. I'll get on it, cheers.

The last time I got really into one of these I wrote 6000 words. I think the limit was 2500.

I guess this post is about the usefulness of planning ahead.
Ha, too right. I got to around 1800 words before writing the last part and figured I had it in the bag.

Draft #1 is in the bag! I've never written anything like this so I don't imagine it will play well, but hey, it's worth a shot.

mu cephei

Ok, posting to make it slightly more likely I submit something. That secondary is difficult to ignore, particularly when I've been coming up with ideas for the last few challenges but not writing anything.

And lots of entries already!

Ourobolus

Banned
Huh, I was worried about whether I could keep it under the word count, but I came in sub 2K.
1242.gif

I've been watching these threads for a while, but I haven't any time to write until now. I'd like to participate in this one.

One thing: How do I submit the stuff that I do write? Post it here, or upload it on dropbox?

Ourobolus

Banned
I've been watching these threads for a while, but I haven't any time to write until now. I'd like to participate in this one.

One thing: How do I submit the stuff that I do write? Post it here, or upload it on dropbox?
Either is fine. I prefer PDF since it's easier to read, but people have posted directly in the thread before.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Yay! I have internet again! Moving is fun and totally not a hassle. Maybe I'll write about the fear of being in a foreign place where you know no one?

Mike M

Nick N
Finished the first draft! Admittedly it's about as short as my last submission, so I might flesh it out as I edit it. Which I'll probably put off until the last day, but at least the actual writing portion is mostly done.

Fuck it, I'm finishing the first draft tonight. Bring it ooon!

Finished my first draft a few minutes ago. Thanks Cyan for including that bit of advice in the OP.

I'm glad I'll have the next two weeks to work on it now.

All right, done. I'll let my wife read it then I'll post it.

Screw drafts

Hi, first time taking part in this. Hope you like it! The wordcount is at 2373, is it best I edit it down?
Dutch Courage

Oh man I have a crazy idea for this one. I'm at 1400 words and am a little worried that I'll go over. It's actually pretty silly but I'm liking it! And it even takes place in the same fictional universe as my other stories. I have to go to bed now but I'll work on it more later.

It’s Important to Have a Purpose in Life. That Way You Don’t Just Break Down Into Uncontrollable Sobbing When You Go to Your Kid’s School For Career Day and You Can’t Answer When a Kindergartner Asks You What You Do.

Consciousness gradually returned to Harry, the details of the room lazily swimming into existence. There was something in his mouth, tasting of old gym sock. He tried to remove it, only to discover that his hands were tied to the arms of a wooden chair. A quick glance around the room revealed about a half dozen other people in the same scenario; everyone tied to chairs, bound and gagged, arranged in a semi circle on the perimeter of a pool of light cast by a halogen bulb dangling from the ceiling.

Working his mouth and tongue, Harry was eventually able to dislodge the gag in his mouth. To his unpleasant discovery, it was in fact an old gym sock. “Where are we?” he asked of his fellow captives. “What are we doing here?”

“I’ll bet you’re wondering where you are and what you’re doing here,” came a voice from the shadows. A smooth, melodious voice, the sort of voice that could have totally belonged to someone in radio or vocal arts if they had felt like doing that.

Harry looked into the darkness in the direction of the hidden stranger, wearing an expression of confusion. “Yes, I literally just asked that aloud,” he answered.

“Yes, of course you did,” the voice continued, drawing closer. “Exactly as I planned.”

The stranger strode forward into the light, his locks of auburn hair gleaming in the light as they cascaded in perfectly coifed waves over his muscular shoulders. He had the physique straight out of the cover of a romance novel, the sort of build of a man who might wrestle wild bears as an amusing distraction before leaping into a bed full of beautiful women to pleasure them all night long. Plus he was probably better than everyone at video games too.

“Allow me to introduce myself,” the man said, prowling before his captives like some sort of predatory animal toying with its prey. “My name is Nicholas. You may have seen me around a certain popular message board under the alias… Nicholas N.”

Harry exchanged glances with the other captives. None of them had been able to dislodge their gags, so they weren’t able to communicate in anything more meaningful than the shrugging of their shoulders. “I don’t think any of us have heard of you,” Harry ventured.

Nicholas pouted a pout with those lips that drove women into titillating frenzies. “No, I don’t suppose any of you would,” he said. “And I think that has a lot to do with why you have found yourselves in such… an unfortunate situation…”

With bounding steps, Nicholas moved to the center of the light and held his arms at shoulder level in presentation. “In regards to your previous questions: Where are you? I am afraid that you have found yourselves in the location of your final demise! What are you doing here? Each of you have created a grave transgression against me. And for that, I seek dispensation.”

The seriousness of the situation setting in, Harry and the other hostages immediately began struggling against their bonds. “Try all you like, it will do you no good,” Nicholas said with a smirk. “I have planned for every possible scenario. There is no escaping.”

“Idunno,” Harry said, “I was able to get your gym sock out of my mouth pretty easily…”

“Only because I planned that I would let you escape your gag!” Nicholas thundered. “I always like to provide a false bit of hope before I follow through with my grand designs. I find it spices the flavor quite nicely. Plus I needed someone who would ask these questions. It would be awkward if I just stood here unprompted and explained why I’m going to kill you all.”

Nicholas snapped his fingers as though he had reminded himself of something important. “Right. Why I’m going to kill you all. I’m sure I don’t need to explain to you all that many people have ‘a thing.’ A defining trait. A thing that they do that sets them apart from the others. That which they are known for, that which makes them unique.”

Here, Nicholas paused, awaiting response. The eyes of the other hostages turned to Harry once more. “I, uh…” Harry began hesitantly. “I still don’t get it.”

“Of course you don’t!” Nicholas exclaimed. “I wouldn’t have planned for you to be here if you did! If you did ‘get it,’ you all would never have done the thing that you did, and I would have never planned your overly elaborate demise!”

Nicholas moved closer to Harry, standing between the bound man and the light, a looming silhouette of menace and sex appeal. “Do you know what my ‘thing’ is, Harry?”

“No.”

Nicholas leaned over, his amazing natural musk filling Harry’s nostrils. “I’m the one who gets their first draft done first.”

Shouting, Nicholas stood up and continued, “Me! That’s my thing! That’s what I do! I’m the guy who goes first! I plan my entire week around it! And then you inferior specimens have the audacity, the unmitigated gall to complete your stories before me? That is something that I cannot abide!”

Turning his back on his unwilling audience, Nicholas said softly, “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have plans for this evening.”

Nicholas left the circle of light, vanishing into the shadows beyond. Harry and the others looked amongst themselves, cast their gazes around the room. It was just an empty room, possibly in a warehouse somewhere. No signs of death traps or anything.

“So, wait, that’s it?” Harry shouted into the darkness. “You’re just going to leave us here?”

“My plan will dispose of you soon enough,” came Nicholas’s voice, seemingly from everywhere.

“I dunno, man,” Harry replied. “You tied us up with bow knots. I think I could get out of here if I tried.”

“No you couldn’t. I planned to make you think that you could do it. But you can’t. So best not try.”

Harry waved a free hand before starting to untie his other. “See, I told you.”

“I totally planned that!”

“Oh no you didn’t!”

Nicholas exploded from the darkness behind Harry, sending the man to the floor in his chair with a mighty shove. In a flash, Nicholas stood above the man, Harry’s face compressed between fingers that could have belonged to a male model.

“Do you know what I hate more than people who write first drafts before me? Despise more than people who doubt my immaculate plans?”

“No,” Harry managed between crushed lips.

“Cliffhangers!”

Nezumi

OK. I think I have the start of an idea. Will start writing tonight!

Do we have an hangout on Sunday? I have to work all day but hopefully I can make it on time.

Cyan

Banned
OK. I think I have the start of an idea. Will start writing tonight!

Do we have an hangout on Sunday? I have to work all day but hopefully I can make it on time.

Sure. It seems like a lot of people will have already finished writing, but there's always other things to work on. :p

I will likely have to cut out a little bit early if we do our standard 2-4 PM Pacific time, but no big deal.

Cyan

Banned
I'm already a little way into my story. Opening scene is done. Slightly tangential to the theme, but it's a deeply serious story about death.

And now back to work. Actual work. :/

Mike M

Nick N
I had an idea on tap that lent itself well to this topic. Actually turned out better than most of my vague notions-turned-stories.

Charade

My god, I actually have 600 words down. But at this pace it feels like it could be 4000 when it's done :/

I had an idea on tap that lent itself well to this topic. Actually turned out better than most of my vague notions-turned-stories.

Sooo what you're saying is that we have no chance? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom