• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Fantasy Football league(s) 2k9

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Frankman said:
I can't believe I offered you a fair package and what you countered with. REALLY?

Well it was probably missing something, but I'm busy filing trades in the keeper league, the trade values checked out on FBG *and* trade analyzer, and I thought you might counter again. You could have said Grant and I'd still be listening. The counter wasn't meant as an insult.

I don't feel your offer was reasonable - didn't really give me any advantage other than more waiver bodies that I'd never start - but I don't mind doing counters until some sort of deal forms.

I'm not sure what FBG and Trade Analyzer is, but let's just never speak of that offer again. In fairness it's my experience you normally reject any first deal.

The Frankman said:
I'm not sure what FBG and Trade Analyzer is, but let's just never speak of that offer again. In fairness it's my experience you normally reject any first deal.

Sure. Anyway I'm still open to deals...

FBG: footballguys.com
Trade Analyzer: fantasysp.com

I like to look at various sources (FBG, Analyzer, ESPN, Yahoo) to gauge value because I think it's a terrible idea to trade based on just the points-to-date. In GAF leagues, yeah, I probably reject first deals. :lol But it really is based on need. I'm not doing it on principle. Hell, I've just made 3 trades in the keeper league this week.

Trade Deadline approaching and I'm firing off deals to EVERYONE.

Team Notes

* Trade: You have proposed a trade to Turf Masters - [ details ]
* Trade: You have proposed a trade to Ron Mexico's Revenge - [ details ]
* Trade: You have proposed a trade to Good As Gould - [ details ]
* Trade: You have proposed a trade to Witty Nicknames - [ details ]
* Trade: You have proposed a trade to 2Legit2Bitch! - [ details ]
* Trade: You have proposed a trade to To be named later - [ details ]

* Trade: Pending trade between Team Konex and Dinner Out - [ details ]
WILLING TO LISTEN TO COUNTERS! :D

Fantasy Dos And Don'ts

By AJ Mass

This past week, we saw that in the world of real football, there are some clear "Dos and Don'ts" when it comes to strategy. For instance, we learned that it is a big DO to take a knee just short of the goal line so your team can run out the clock before kicking the game-winning field goal, rather than scoring the touchdown and kicking the ball back to your opponents, giving them a chance to drive down the field and win the game. We also learned that it is a huge DON'T to go for it on fourth down from your own 28-yard line no matter how many Super Bowl rings you have on your fingers or how good your quarterback might be.

Of course, fantasy owners might not subscribe to these real-world designations, especially those, like myself, who ended up losing this week because Maurice Jones-Drew failed to score an uncontested touchdown while their opponent, who had started both Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne, got a cheap double-dip touchdown. But that's because the rules and strategies for fantasy football are different.

While teams in the NFL still have 44 percent of their regular seasons left to play, in fantasy leagues that play only 13 weeks before starting the playoffs, we're down to the final three contests of the season. With that in mind, it's time to remind all owners of the "Fantasy Dos and Don'ts" as the fantasy regular season comes to an end. At this point of the season, unless you're playing some form of rotisserie football, all fantasy teams fall into one of the following three categories: clinched a playoff slot, fighting for a final spot or already eliminated. Refer to the category that applies to your team and follow our advice accordingly:

Clinched the Playoffs
DO feel free to tailor your roster for the postseason by looking ahead to the matchups your players will face. At this point of the season, we pretty much know we want our running backs to face the Buffalo Bills or the Oakland Raiders, rather than the Pittsburgh Steelers or Minnesota Vikings. It's also a pretty good bet that your quarterback and wide receivers will fare better against the likes of the Jacksonville Jaguars and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, as opposed to the New York Jets or Carolina Panthers. Making trades, even seemingly lopsided ones, or pickups that set you up for the playoffs is a wise move.

DON'T tank games in order to "choose your opponent" for the playoffs. Too many times we've seen owners try to manipulate the playoff seeds by starting their benchwarmers in order to let what they perceive to be weaker opponents make the playoffs. However, since your players don't actually square up head to head, such a move often backfires as you end up facing that lucky owner and inexplicably losing in the playoffs. Start your best lineup, week in and week out, and let the chips fall where they may.

Fighting for the Final Spots
DO go out and get as many handcuffs to your stud backs as possible. The bye weeks are over and done with, so you probably will never have a need to start that No. 6 wide receiver or backup tight end sitting there at the bottom of your team's pecking order. It's far more to your benefit to make sure you have guys like Jason Snelling and Ladell Betts ready to step into your lineup in case your starting backs, for example Michael Turner and Clinton Portis, go down with injuries at a crucial time.

DON'T overthink your lineup decisions. So what if you "need" to win every game just to make the playoffs. That doesn't mean you suddenly bench Aaron Rodgers for Kyle Orton because his matchup is "better" or you swap out Anquan Boldin for Ted Ginn Jr. because of the "bigger upside" should he return a few kicks for scores. Similarly, don't concern yourself with whom your opponent is starting. You're not actually lining up toe to toe, so don't worry if he has Tom Brady and you have Wes Welker. You start Welker. Period. You don't sit him and "root for the Patriots to get shut out." Don't manage your lineup any differently in Week 11 than you would have in Week 1.

Already Eliminated
DO continue to work the waiver wire and make trades to try to improve your team. If you're in a keeper league, this is a great time to package some of your veteran talents like LaDainian Tomlinson and Laveranues Coles to take a chance on a potential "star of the future" such as LeSean McCoy or Mark Sanchez, guys who might not see the light of day on their current fantasy teams but could help you next season and for many more to come. Even in a one-and-done league, there's no reason a player such as Jamaal Charles should end up being claimed by a playoff contender when there are four or five teams with a better waiver priority who simply didn't bother to put in a waiver bid. You signed up to play the whole season, so finish it out with integrity.

DON'T fail to start a lineup just because it no longer matters to you whether you win or lose. That's bush league, and it all but guarantees you won't be asked back to the league next season. Perhaps that doesn't matter to you, but come on! Finish what you started and relish playing the role of the spoiler. If you don't, be fully prepared for the proverbial "Bud Adams treatment" that is sure to come your way from the rest of the league.
Truth.

By the ways guys the Trade Deadline has not officially passed yet... you have until 3 AM to make offers + as long as the offer is made it trumps the deadline even when it passes.

Part of me feels sorry for TBNL. Last week he started #3 RB Choice over Henderson and Meachem, who both had huge games. This week he starts Henderson, while Meachem is exploding. You can never tell who'll score on the Saints, Brees passes it around so much.

Cloudy

Banned
Hmm, I'm up 24.9 points with Celek left to play. Vas Deferens has McNabb and Forte left. I think I win if Forte doesn't explode and Celek gets a lot of looks..

This would be a huge win if I can hang on. I got 0 pts from my defense and my 3rd WR COMBINED :lol

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
The Frankman said:
Part of me feels sorry for TBNL. Last week he started #3 RB Choice over Henderson and Meachem, who both had huge games. This week he starts Henderson, while Meachem is exploding. You can never tell who'll score on the Saints, Brees passes it around so much.
yea i'm hating the saints. >:|
Although I think i was meant to lose last week. I didn't have internet access so my team setup from earlier in the week was going to have to go. Well, I missed Tynes on a bye, and tried to pickup a kicker at about 12:05 on sunday when i got back into town, and it wouldn't let me pick one up until the 18th. Oh well.

I believe i'm 0-2 since i lost Owen Daniels to season ending injury. :(
Not that he's my whole team but i got shit else at TE now.

I should win this week as long as Slaton and Walter each get 5-10 yards.

captive said:
yea i'm hating the saints. >:|
Although I think i was meant to lose last week. I didn't have internet access so my team setup from earlier in the week was going to have to go. Well, I missed Tynes on a bye, and tried to pickup a kicker at about 12:05 on sunday when i got back into town, and it wouldn't let me pick one up until the 18th. Oh well.

I believe i'm 0-2 since i lost Owen Daniels to season ending injury. :(
Not that he's my whole team but i got shit else at TE now.

I should win this week as long as Slaton and Walter each get 5-10 yards.
Yeah you'll win your matchup unless Slaton and Walter doubleteam the coach's wife or something.

Huge playoff implications, Team Konex trying to hold on to a shocking lead with Celek left. Vas Deferens has McNabb and Forte but Forte may have just lost his starting job.

GAG an WN in a barnburner. GAG is down 8 but has Olsen, Maclin, and Gould. WN has Jay Cutler...

rinker

Cloudy said:
What was GAG thinking starting Detroit's defense? Even if they were playing Cleveland :lol

lol I thought it would make me a badass and my other defenses had rough matchups. Oh well, made the bears game more interesting.

rinker said:
Why not, they put up 34 on san diego in October and its not like Orton isn't a piece of shit himself.
Orton played hurt (came in due to Simms sucking) and had no 1st string practice time. In fact Simms (who started) hardly did also that week + SD has playmakers on D. Games like Det-Cle usually turn into high scoring affairs IHMO, but if all else fails I connsult NFL-GAF.

The Frankman said:
GAG an WN in a barnburner. GAG is down 8 but has Olsen, Maclin, and Gould. WN has Jay Cutler...

Whew! Made it! (FWIW, there is one offer you made that I should have taken, but by the time I realized this...it was too late. Ah well, we seem to be doing alright for the moment anyway.)

I'll do a two-pack for awards again tonight or tomorrow...

Hopefully Chris Johnson runs up the score a bit tonight...

Crazymoogle said:
FWIW, there is one offer you made that I should have taken, but by the time I realized this...it was too late. Ah well, we seem to be doing alright for the moment anyway.
What was the offer? I save all my offers for posterity.

Let's get right to it, shall we?

Week 10 Points Champ: Good as Gould (126pts)
Week 11 Points Champ: Dinner Out (132pts)
Some dominating performances, basically. Can't hurt getting 30+ pts from Ricky!

Current League Leader: Witty Nicknames (9-2, 1039pts)
I've split the last two games but have ended up pulling off a 1 game lead through 11 weeks. Witty Nicknames, Dinner Out, and Hookers and Blow have all clinched playoff spots! Who will join us?

Bench Misery Award: I'm taking into account some other factors this week:
Week 10: 2Legit wins out for having the worst possible kicker luck. Nick Folk stat line: 0pts.
Week 11: Good as Gould wins, for benching Stafford (30pts) and the Chargers (16pts) to play the Lions (-3) and Peyton Manning (12pts). Bonus points for staffing 3 defenses (Wow!)

The by-hook or by-crook award goes to Team Konex. League high 2-game winning streak? Check. Narrowly started his best possible team to win by 4pts? Check. Leg up on a playoff spot? Check.

Also, some condolences to Virtual Physics...damn. Your team's luck is just notorious at this point.

Coming up: Week 12, in which another team may have a chance to clinch a spot...

I got royally fucked this week. I decided to sit Eli Manning on Thanksgiving, which seemed like a good move after the bad game he had. Then I find out Roflesburger isn't going to play tonight, so I picked up Alex Smith; he had a good game for me. THEN I find out Warner is going to be inactive, leaving me with one starting QB (I'm in a 2 QB league); I wasn't able to pick up another QB off waivers.

Luckily my opponent had Matt Ryan lol. Right now I'm up 30 points with Hines Ward active right now, but my opponent has Brees/Colston/Pierre Thomas for monday night. I've got Randy Moss in that game but I'll have to get epic points from him and Ward to win. Well, unless NE destroys the NO offense.

I'm 9-2 so far this season, in first place

Cloudy

Banned
Fukk, I benched Holmes cos Ben was out and he already has more points than about 3 of my players combined. DAMMIT

Cloudy

Banned
Hmm, if Miller does little, A big game from Mahoney with a subpar game from Brees could let me eek it out.

Ugh, I also left 17 pts on the bench with the Niners D. Aaaargh!

Dammit. I was trying to start Dante Rosario or Fasano at TE but couldn't do the pickup in time...
Cloudy said:
Hmm, if Miller does little, A big game from Mahoney with a subpar game from Brees could let me eek it out.
Except that it's hard to predict which Patriot RB will score + Sammy Morris should be back to vulture carries.

Cloudy said:
If I'd played Holmes or Britt, I'd have won. Aaaargh
If I switched my TE to Fasano or Rosario like I tried to (clock hit 1 PM Sunday and for some reason I couldn't drop Dallas Defense) I think I would've still had it.

Final Week writeup/Playoff situation done by tomorrow night.

Ok, all numbers are current from the Yahoo StatTracker. This is

Dinner Out - 9-3 record, 1230.16 pts.
Witty Nicknames - 9-3 record, 1116.90 pts.
Hookers And Blow - 9-3 record, 1075.12 pts.

Weird situation with the top 3 seeds, the only thing that's confirmed is that if Dinner Out wins his last game, he's the #1 seed since no one is within 100 points of him. However, Witty Nicknames can clinch the #1 seed with a win and a DO loss. If Hookers And Blow wins and both WN and DO lose he'll be the #1 seed, but he 'll have to be careful about the tiebreaker (41.78 points behind WN).

2Legit2Bitch! - 7-5 record, 1077.34 pts.
Turf Masters - 7-5 record, 1001.80 pts.

The truly disturbing thing is I'll have to check the matchups but I think there's a possibility if either of these guys lose + everything breaks wrong it's possible for them to fall out of the playoffs... Okay, simply put if 2Legit2Bitch! wins he should clinch the #4 seed outright, I don't see a scenario where TM scores 75+ more points than him. If Turf Masters wins he gets the #5 spot. Now if any of them lose ... hoo boy this is where it'll get crazy.

The Big Blue Crew - 6-6 record, 1077.28 pts.
Team Konex - 6-6 record, 1029.04 pts.
Kidd is my QB - 6-6 record, 1008.94 pts.

Three 6-6 teams are just waiting to snap up the last spots... but they all have to win and get help. The Big Blue Crew not only can clinch a playoff spot as the current #6 seed, since his point totals are high he might sneak into the #4 spot. Same deal with Team Konex, he wins and gets help it's POSSIBLE BUT NOT LIKELY he can grab a #4 seed... more realistically he can get #5. Kidd is my QB will be fighting for the #6 seed and may have the lowest totals of this group but will face Virtual Physics, who can play the ultimate spoiler role...

Vas Deferens - 5-7 record, 1075.86 pts.
Ron Mexico's Revenge - 5-7 record, 1018.56 pts.
To be named later - 5-7 record, 945.74 pts.
Im-Ho-Tep - 5-7 record, 888.86 pts.

For all these guys I really can't give solid permutations on possibilities and help. The only thing I can say is just win... try your best and put yourselves in the best position to eek out a playoff spot.

That goes for everyone, conduct like "mailing it in" during these final weeks might get you booted from consideration from future Yahoo GAF Fantasy leagues (negative rep and all). There a reason this is called the "No Quitters" league, you play until the league doesn't give the option anymore. It's like the stuff I posted from ESPN earlier.

Wow, yeah, absolutely crazy final week coming up. My team really fell off the boat in Week 12. :lol Frank, it was the DWill+HT trade I should have taken, even ignoring games since then. I was probably tired as hell from juggling so many offers in the two leagues by that point. Ah well. By the time I saw it again we just passed the trade-offer deadline.

Unbelievable that only two teams are mathematically out of contention. Truly the No Quitters League.

Standings Champ for Week 12: Dinner Out
Points Champ for Week 12: Ron Mexico's Revenge
Worst Points Award (Season): IHT for an astounding 33.7pts. How is that even possible?!
Cloudy wins the AFC North award for hard luck. Close week, and significant parts of his bench had the better day. To make it to the playoffs? Win a game against Hookers and Blow (9-3).

Cloudy said:
Fuck, I am gonna miss the playoffs because I didn't pick up Buckhalter at the last second. WTF..
Fixed for me. I was 12, you were 13th on the order and I canceled my waiver on him because I had Cartwright and Morris. So in reality you never should have had him to begin with. I wasted the spot on Chris Brown.

Cloudy

Banned
Woooohoooooooo

2m2w9df.jpg

PLAYOFFS BABY

Tamanon

Banned
I'd wait until tomorrow to make sure none of the points are edited. Twice this season I've been ahead by .40 or .35 points and down by the next day after an adjustment.:lol

Cloudy

Banned
Tamanon said:
I'd wait until tomorrow to make sure none of the points are edited. Twice this season I've been ahead by .40 or .35 points and down by the next day after an adjustment.:lol

OMG really? In Yahoo leagues? Fukk that! :lol

Cloudy said:
OMG really? In Yahoo leagues? Fukk that! :lol

Yahoo or not, the NFL reserves the right to correct stats until wednesday or so, I believe. Any official stat correction they give passes on to Fantasy.

Still, your odds are looking good. Crazy finish with Rice vs. ADP.

Cloudy

Banned
Right now it looks like I'm the 5th seed and it'll be Turf Masters or Kidd is my QB as the 6th depending on what Ray Rice and Derrick Mason do. What a finish to the reg. season :D

Frankman is in mourning. Dude was last man out at 6-7.

Week 13 Points Champ: Witty Nicknames wins with 123pts, but....
Regular Season Points/Record Champ: ...Dinner Out takes the regular season title by a mere 62 point tiebreaker. (Damn!)

The What-If Awards:

1. Cloudy makes the playoffs with an absurdly narrow 0.08 point upset win. It's enough to knock out The Big Blue Crew, who would have advanced at 6-7 based on tiebreaker points.

2. Virtual Physics pulls off a 5.6 point upset over Kidd is my QB, knocking Kidd out of the playoff hunt. At 1092 points, Kidd also would have had enough to make the final playoff spot, knocking out the Turf Masters (1061 pts)

3. The Aforementioned Turf Masters, for overcoming a bad Week 13 matchup (vs. regular season champ Dinner Out), a loss, a mere 60 point intake, and still moving onto the playoffs despite being in a position where he would lose a tie breaker to three of the four teams directly behind him in the standings. Wow.

4. Sort of a more theoretical what-if: Since it's already been a day, it's incredibly unlikely, but if the NFL were to overturn a stats decision, causing Cloudy to lose more than 0.08 points, the following would happen:

In the rare case of a tie: Cloudy becomes the 6 seed but still makes the playoffs. All of the matchups would change.

In the case of a loss: Frankman makes the playoffs and Turf Masters would be eliminated. All of the matchups would change. (Yikes).

Barring such insanity...

WEEK 14: THE PLAYOFFS

(1) Dinner Out and (2) Witty Nicknames sit out this week while the first round rages on!

(3) Hookers and Blow VS. (6) Turf Masters
(4) 2Legit2Bitch! VS. (5) Team Konex

Place your bets, gentlemen...

Cloudy

Banned
I think I can win. I love having WRs of the QB I'm facing on my team. Hopefully Holmes gets a lot of looks and Ben gets some INTs :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom