• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF is heating up!

Chiggs

Those are very valid points.
How would you even know "some of them probably made big bold (...)"?
That sort of claim requires evidence.

Because they were plastered all over the forum when the meltdown occurred, and many of them accused the owner of being a rapist.

I don't know. What value do you bring?

Well, at the very least, I'm a gold member, and have purchased a number of gold memberships for other posters on this forum, so I've contributed financially. In fact, I just bought you one. Consider it an olive branch, you poor, poor refugee.

Anyway, here's hoping you can limit your transphobia threads to just 2 or 3 every week. Clearly, I know there is no bigger issue that modern society is facing right now, and the very least a video game forum could do is actively combat it with scorched earth moderation, but alas, not every forum can be as vigilant as ResetEra.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

I think you're looking too deeply into reasons why people joined ERA

For the silent majority, it was just where the influential gaming media went. I never really "left" this place, was always a member. But the activity dried up...so many bregrudingly left, but the moderation team on GAF was absolutely terrible back in 2017, so can you really blame people for wanting to leave at that time? Many had been banned and were promised something that turned out to be a lie.

Either way, it's up to the moderators here to make sure that things are fair. Posters won't be able to come here and get people banned by mob rule just for having a difference of opinion. As long as the moderators are fair and balanced in their approach, and try and keep Gaming mostly about Games...I don't see the issue.

The truly insane posters over there would never want to post here where opinions outside of their echo chamber are allowed.

Yeah. I think some forget how dead this place was immediately following the mass exodus. Sometimes the most recent post was 10 minutes ago and threads were not very active. Many of us just went to the new place because it had activity. I never killed my account here though and I'm thrilled this site is doing much better.

Resetera is heading towards and implosion similar to what happened here a couple years ago. It's only a matter of time. Many of the sane people left or got banned and significantly less people within the gaming industry post there compared to a year or two ago.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
wOW, This guy might be on the verge of getting bannned. but he straight up lays out in a extremly well written post what the issue is at reset era, brav.....fucking.....o....

Hope mods actually answer, if they dont or ignore then everyone there has their answer.

reset-post.png
In which thread did he post that and did people reply on his posts?

And yep he's getting banned. It just baffles me this guy has a decent opinion that he explains in detail. And just because you don't agree with him you just ban him?

Since a week I just don't post on resetera anymore because surely it will end in a ban. And I probably am not the only one with that concern. How many people are lurking there but just don't dare to voice their opinion because they are afraid to get banned.

Papacheeks

Banned
In which thread did he post that and did people reply on his posts?

And yep he's getting banned. It just baffles me this guy has a decent opinion that he explains in detail. And just because you don't agree with him you just ban him?

Since a week I just don't post on resetera anymore because surely it will end in a ban. And I probably am not the only one with that concern. How many people are lurking there but just don't dare to voice their opinion because they are afraid to get banned.

It's fucking sad because there are legit good people over there. So many good posters and OT makers who literally put a lot of time into making it inviting for discussion. Now it's just a hive mind. And what is worse there are a lot of people 100% brainwashed on how we should treat people who have different opinions. Or are just indifferent and want to make video game Threads.

You literally have to have a stance now over there. ANd the fact no one sees that as a issue is why there's mass exodus leaving. Would not surprise me over the course of the next 12 months we see not only more members leave reset, but more high profile gaming people come back to neogaf, or try to create something new where people can have a safe space to talk video games.

I'll just say one thing. I had to talk to staff, possibly EviLore. I sent him a message, he replied to me exactly one minute later.

On Era, I contacted staff through the website around 5 times. Twice they answered after a month or so with pre-packed answers, the other times they did not answer.

Staff on Era being like that is one of the reasons I complained about them, which eventually led to my ban after I decided I probably wasn't gonna post there anyway. I'm glad that, regardless of how other things will turn out, staff actively participates here and not only to tell users what to say and ban those who don't oblige.

nush

On Era, I contacted staff through the website around 5 times. Twice they answered after a month or so with pre-packed answers, the other times they did not answer.

"Please use the contact us feature"

SO WE CAN IGNORE YOU AND YOUR COMPLAINTS ARE NOT MADE PUBLIC!

You are so, so, so not the only one to have that experience. the "Staff" there hide behind typical corporate messaging because they have absolutely no real life people skills.

"Please use the contact us feature"

SO WE CAN IGNORE YOU AND YOUR COMPLAINTS ARE NOT MADE PUBLIC!

You are so, so, so not the only one to have that experience. the "Staff" there hide behind typical corporate messaging because they have absolutely no real life people skills.

"Please don't discuss moderation on the website, use the Contact Us form to get in touch."
*I do that, nothing happens*
*I contact them through PM, nothing happens*
*I contact them on Discord*
"We'll look into it."
*Nothing happens*

nush

"Please don't discuss moderation on the website, use the Contact Us form to get in touch."
*I do that, nothing happens*
*I contact them through PM, nothing happens*
*I contact them on Discord*
"We'll look into it."
*Nothing happens*

*We are currently in discussions with the team and we will get back to you soon* - Never hear anything again.

Heartkiller

Well, at the very least, I'm a gold member, and have purchased a number of gold memberships for other posters on this forum, so I've contributed financially. In fact, I just bought you one. Consider it an olive branch, you poor, poor refugee.

Anyway, here's hoping you can limit your transphobia threads to just 2 or 3 every week. Clearly, I know there is no bigger issue that modern society is facing right now, and the very least a video game forum could do is actively combat it with scorched earth moderation, but alas, not every forum can be as vigilant as ResetEra.
Not the same poster but I appreciate the golden olive branch, Chiggs.

I promise to limit my transphobia threads, as you have requested. But have I told you about epilepsy warnings?

Because they were plastered all over the forum when the meltdown occurred, and many of them accused the owner of being a rapist.

Ah, ok. I thought you had much more recent events in mind.

First, let me thank you. Once I get notified of the Gold gift I will contact you privately, but for now know it's appreciated. This olive branch does speak highly of your character.

I'm not a refugee. ResetEra represents a significant portion of what I fight back against. The ideology moderation there espouses renders them my adversaries. I unapologetically want to defeat them at every opportunity, to the best of my abilities and given my very limited reach. I have never been a member of that place and I find most if not all of the usual accusations of transphobia false and slanderous.

However, I think collectivism no matter at what level is a terrible take on the world. Just because someone had poor discernment and remained an active Resetera member up until yesterday, that doesn't mean they won't have anything to offer from now on, even if it's the low bar of piss poor takes that represent the opportunity for bad ideas to be debunked.

I appreciate the sarcasm but it's misdirected. Transphobia doesn't rank among the top 5 problems the West faces and its impact on gaming is residual.

Again, thanks.

Take care.

Last edited:

klosos

I am delighted for Evilore and all the Moderators here for doing a great job. One of the reason for this success is the mods not sticking their noses in every two minutes and just let people speak and gave us the tools (Ignore button so on) to sort the issues out our self.

Also, what I have found in the 2+ years I have been here are that Users actually post useful remarks rather than one word responses like (Yikes, read the room) and give responses that are paragraphs long which are actually worth reading, ill take 2 GAF Users over 20 Users on other Websites.

2021 is looking an even better year, keep it going Lads

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
We've been gettin more "Game of the Month Club" activities up and running. Hopefully w the increasing activity more people will link arms and find some niches to compete in / play in. Would be great to see that grow stronger since it has largely died from forums (not only GAF but abroad).

Congratulations to Evilore, the staff, and the moderators for fostering a thriving community post-exodus.

While I've been inactive since that time, I've been a member for around 6 years, and a reader for more than a decade. Came back one day to find this site pretty much dead, and heard that everyone moved over to a place called ResetEra after some huge scandal. Unfortunately, that became my primary lurking forum primarily due to the amount of activity, and I pretty much stopped browsing GAF since 2 years ago. Recent events made me check back here though to see what people were thinking, and I'm surprised but also delighted to find a vibrant, inclusive, and extremely active group of members here.

It honestly seems like a site from the early 2000s right now from early impressions - a melting point of interests and viewpoints, with an anything goes sort of attitude as long as it isn't particularly harmful to certain individuals or groups. There is fun to be had here instead of the constant misery and policing that is prevalent on ResetEra.

Glad to see that people, unlike me, didn't give up on the place after whatever happened in 2017 (still have no clue what it was), and have worked together to build the place back up from its very foundations. Once again, congrats to you Evilore and your team, and it's nice seeing your efforts and persistence rewarded with success.

Last edited:
Congratulations to Evilore, the staff, and the moderators for fostering a thriving community post-exodus.

While I've been inactive since that time, I've been a member for around 6 years, and a reader for more than a decade. Came back one day to find this site pretty much dead, and heard that everyone moved over to a place called ResetEra after some huge scandal. Unfortunately, that became my primary lurking forum primarily due to the amount of activity, and I pretty much stopped browsing GAF since 2 years ago. Recent events made me check back here though to see what people were thinking, and I'm surprised but also delighted to find a vibrant, inclusive, and extremely active group of members here.

It honestly seems like a site from the early 2000s right now from early impressions - a melting point of interests and viewpoints, with an anything goes sort of attitude as long as it isn't particularly harmful to certain individuals or groups. There is fun to be had here instead of the constant misery and policing that is prevalent on ResetEra.

Glad to see that people, unlike me, didn't give up on the place after whatever happened in 2017 (still have no clue what it was), and have worked together to build the place back up from its very foundations. Once again, congrats to you Evilore and your team, and it's nice seeing your efforts and persistence rewarded with success.
Indeed, this forum gives the same vibes as forums did in the early days of the internet. A rare find these days...

Ornlu

Banned
Speaking of early internet days, I can't be the only one here who participated in the horrendous (but yet sometimes funny as hell) AOL chat rooms in the 90s? I wonder if those still exist? 😂

Remember the punters/kickers that would fuck your shit up if you pissed them off? The original "Bye Felicia!"

Trimesh

Banned
I’m half Aussie, half Londoner. I basically came out of the womb saying cunt. I’m pretty sure I quit GAF all those years ago because it got banned by the Reee crowd before they fucked off.

Cunts.

PSA for Americans: we don’t use the word cunt to refer to just women (if ever) like some of you might do, so please don’t think we’re being massively misogynistic here. Everyone gets called a cunt. Mostly other blokes.

You have to admit the Australian usage of "cunt" is a bit confusing at first. To people familiar with other variants of English, the convention of calling your friends "cunt" and your enemies "mate" is a little counter-intuitive.

nush

You have to admit the Australian usage of "cunt" is a bit confusing at first. To people familiar with other variants of English, the convention of calling your friends "cunt" and your enemies "mate" is a little counter-intuitive.

That's the point, it's by design. Its a shit-test.

Eh, I just see it as a variant of the saying, Men compliment each other with insults while women insult each other with compliments.

kyussman

I'm seeing more woke non words used a lot more recently. Like transphobic, problematic, inclusive. Hopefully the reeeturners wont ruin this forum.
As long as the moderation continues as it has done I wouldn't worry about this.
Opinions that people disagree with will be challenged.....and unlike the other place they will be allowed to be challenged....if any new or returning members are as thin skinned as the average Era member they will soon scurry off.

ClosBSAS

shit must have been hard when it all exploded but then you realize that half the forum was ran by sensible era members. now we have a much more centered and focused forum and its much better for it.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I'm seeing woke non words used a lot more recently. Like transphobic, problematic, inclusive. Hopefully the reeeturners wont ruin this forum.

Ay man that will not be the case. If anything us lot returning find it refreshing to find a bevy of opinion instead of a sterile echo-chamber.

I left GAF after the exodus because I wanted to be where the people where. A forum needs people, after all. I never asked to be banned here or some dramatic shit. It wasn't political - just practical. That's why I left over there. Its become just political and not practical.

This is what a damn games forum should be. It should be fun and not some political plinth built to stroke .1% of the population's ego and self-worth.

There's some great people on Resetera and some real shit-weasels, too. Same goes for GAF - its the damn internet. The sooner we drop this "us versus them" shit and get back to talking about games the better for everyone.

RNK

With the new direction this site is headed, and the fact that users don’t have to walk on eggshells, I feel like that nonsense will get squashed quickly.
It literally was a no chance situation over there. If you said even one thing that toed the line of their ideological beliefs, the thought police would ban you in an instant. It's gotten insane over there. I understand being passionate in your beliefs, but throwing out every single person who might have their own is counter-productive at best.

Top Bottom