• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF is heating up!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
tumblr_inline_o5pszyij861srn6qz_500.gif

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I don't use facebook really, just for family and events really, here is a story of what I saw when I went there recently:

I saw a guy I used to work with getting in a massive argument after he posted a Candace Owens recent video where she talks about the current issues + George Floyd, he posted it and wrote "Here is an alternate take on these issues, interesting stuff".

What do you think happened next?

Of course he was attacked: they called her a "right-wing bitch" and "stupid cow" (I'm in UK, cow is derogatory word for women) and said the video wasn't worth watching because she's a "right wing conspiracy theorist who hates herself and other black people". They said he was supporting racism by posting it or watching/listening to it.

I didn't realise people were being THAT crazy about this stuff. I invited him to comment in threads here because he can have a much more honest discussion about this stuff.

Long story short, I messaged him about fifteen (15) times saying how people wouldn't act like that here, a lot of people here do have different opinions but they won't just shut down the discussion if they don't like it and/or call you complicit/a racist just for posting it.

Even after all the reassurance he's still sending me messages days later saying "Yeah but will the people in the forum just pile on me and go off on me? I can't be bothered with that"...

It doesn't matter how many times I say what I bolded above, he has spent so much time around these fuckers that he can't even imagine a place where he could have an honest and open discussion, that made me so fucking angry to be honest. I hope he joins up soon. Cheers for being not-cunts, guys.

Well, you can tell him the owner says he'd be totally fine here. Not everyone is a Candace Owens fan, of course, but we're able to discuss these things like adults.

Lrnex

Big ups GAF! This place has slowly become my sole sanctuary for gaming news. I only have a Switch so don’t have much to contribute with all the heated tflops and ssd discussions but it’s still interesting following along.

Love the atmosphere and here’s to hoping things stay sane through 2020 and beyond!

GodofWhimsy

I was a long time lurker during the dark times (no wrong think, etc), and the virtual revolution that took place during the post-Trump victory was fucking biblical to witness. It felt like a victory for those of us who want to bring back balance. Trump supporters, or no. If it takes massive political swings to have a place I can have a productive, sane conversation on all things gaming and beyond? then I'm all for it.

Congrats EvilLore.

Leyasu

Banned
IwXPsSa.png

nfzpQdd.png

(ignore the April dip, technical reasons)

What a recovery: from a little more than 500 posts per day to over 6000 posts per day, and from an average concurrent online user count of 2600 to over 4000 (with many times more members online).

We have a great community here, a sane and relatively civil one where differences of opinion are welcome and people can debate with facts or memes, and we'll continue to rebuild into this new and exciting gaming generation of teraflops, SSDs, ray tracing, and VR.

Thanks for being a part of NeoGAF.
With things getting busier and a new gen upon us, you might want to consider strengthening your mod team a bit.

Things get wild quick in some threads on here

Kuranghi

I'm half expecting a REE fanatic to turn up here and blow up this thread with their suicide-cardigan.

Words used to be violence but now silence is violence, and violence is free speech so I'm guessing blowing people up is "reasonable debate". I think I have that right.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I returned around this time:

8GinvLw.jpg

Growth is visibly better since then. You're welcome :messenger_sunglasses:

I have no doubt that we're attracting new members.

But I do think it's interesting how in late 2019 certain communities over at ERA started demanding much harsher moderation and thought policing.

I'm hoping more of us come back and realize that this place isn't the "alt-right shithole" that ERA's most vocal members describe it to be.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm half expecting a REE fanatic to turn up here and blow up this thread with their suicide-cardigan.

Words used to be violence but now silence is violence, and violence is free speech so I'm guessing blowing people up is "reasonable debate". I think I have that right.

Lol, we already had a few in here saying that there is "a lot of work to be done". Like their opinion matters at all. Why would anyone listen to someone who openly supports a forum full of racist cunts?

Last edited:
I have no doubt that we're attracting new members.

But I do think it's interesting how in late 2019 certain communities over at ERA started demanding much harsher moderation and thought policing.

I'm hoping more of us come back and realize that this place isn't the "alt-right shithole" that ERA's most vocal members describe it to be.
Yes, I can't wait for a bunch of sheep who uprooted themselves from a game forum because they were caught up in the zealotry to return to GAF and enrich it with their nuanced way of thinking and balanced outlook on the world. The trickle of returneeeees so far give me hope that the others will be a great addition to the community.

While we're at it, let's hope a whole bunch of furries and loli fans show up to GAF too to make things even better.

Pejo

In an insane world, this is the only forum that helps me realize that there are sane people and people willing to have a discussion about things. Also, the Gaming side is getting way more active again, which is great. Hope to see some big |OT|s in the future and get some of GAF playing games with each other again. Thanks EviLore EviLore for keeping it all running!

Kuranghi

I commit to doing some PC Performance threads for upcoming gaems, I love gaems guys.

I'll do one for Death Stranding when its comes out on PC unless someone else is commited to it already.

2020's is gonna be the best decade for NeoGAF yet!

#TheRebuildofNeoGAFion

Which EVA character are you? I think you're probably Kaji since you're a naughty man.

and who on the forum personifies each EVA character? :pie_thinking:

Is there anyone here who is a drunkard outside work but also has melon-like boobies, is also a field commander who directs a squad of giant organic robots with 14 year old children inside them?

There has to someone here, its not that specfic.

Bill O'Rights Bill O'Rights is Gendo, rarely speaks.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Yes, I can't wait for a bunch of sheep who uprooted themselves from a game forum because they were caught up in the zealotry to return to GAF and enrich it with their nuanced way of thinking and balanced outlook on the world. The trickle of returneeeees so far give me hope that the others will be a great addition to the community.

While we're at it, let's hope a whole bunch of furries and loli fans show up to GAF too to make things even better.

A lot of decent posters got caught up because they went over with their communities. I went over because the entirety of NFL-GAF went over and those were the people that I spent years and years talking football with.

I was more than fine with the initial move because old GAF was just as ban happy as today's ERA. So when we were promised that we were getting a more carefully moderated forum with open ban reasoning and on and on, it seemed like a pretty good deal.

Of course...

j95OSVP.jpg

Now instead of the mysterious and bullshit bans of old GAF we have the new mysterious and bullshit bans of ERA with the catch all given reason "Dismissive commentary".

So ironically new GAF is the ERA that I was promised initially.

I'm not worried about any other ERA refugees being a problem here because their most crazy ones will take one look at our politics threads and start "literally shaking". They couldn't handle it since some can't even handle reading thread titles without getting upset.

DeeDogg_

Banned
IwXPsSa.png

nfzpQdd.png

What a recovery: from a little more than 500 posts per day to over 6000 posts per day, and from an average concurrent online user count of 2600 to over 4000 (with many times more members online).

We have a great community here, a sane and relatively civil one where differences of opinion are welcome and people can debate with facts or memes, and we'll continue to rebuild into this new and exciting gaming generation of teraflops, SSDs, ray tracing, and VR.

But Era told me Gaf was dying :<

Kuranghi

A lot of decent posters got caught up because they went over with their communities. I went over because the entirety of NFL-GAF went over and those were the people that I spent years and years talking football with.

I was more than fine with the initial move because old GAF was just as ban happy as today's ERA. So when we were promised that we were getting a more carefully moderated forum with open ban reasoning and on and on, it seemed like a pretty good deal.

Of course...

j95OSVP.jpg

Now instead of the mysterious and bullshit bans of old GAF we have the new mysterious and bullshit bans of ERA with the catch all given reason "Dismissive commentary".

I'm not worried about any other ERA refugees being a problem here because their most crazy ones will take one look at our politics threads and start "literally shaking". They couldn't handle it since some can't even handle reading thread titles without getting upset.

"She needs her dialysis!"

I was a member in spirit back in 2004 as a long time lurker. It's always fun to visit when a new generation of consoles begin as I've been seeing during the past 3 generations. Finally after almost a year, I'm a member here.... At Last.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Of course...

j95OSVP.jpg

Genuine question, why would you expect anything different? The moderation team that was founded over there were some of the worst folks that were on GAF who always pushed for bans/silencing of opinions they didn't like.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Genuine question, why would you expect anything different? The moderation team that was founded over there were some of the worst folks that were on GAF who always pushed for bans/silencing of opinions they didn't like.

I don't remember the initial moderation team being people that were that terrible. It wasn't like they went and hunted down RiskyChris to help moderate or anything (bonus points if you remember that name). To my recollection they purposely made sure to leave all former GAF mods unmodded on ERA as well which gave me hope for the new site.

Where shit went off the rails is when that first crop of moderators and admins stepped down (which I think was always the plan), and then the second crop was a little worse but then most of them stepped down, and now ERA has the most active and zealous individuals on the moderation team. I think someone posted the whole list of moderators and admins in that other thread here about which ones have left ERA and it's like 90% or more of them.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I like it here. Much better place after era morons left.
Aww there are a lot of cool people on ERA i will miss
The place is just a little toxic and banhappy, but unfortunately no place is perfect, not even here 🤭

still cool to see oldnewGAF recovered for the people that feel better here

Helscream

Banned
The Cream always rises to the top!

I do a really good Randy Savage imitation. So let me know if yall want to cut a promo. I accept cash, credit, debit, pay-pal, and crypto-currency.

All jokes aside I've been really impressed with how NeoGAF changed over the years

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Gosh, it's almost like people wanted a sane place they could just talk about dumb video game shit.

Seriously great to see this place continue to rebound.

NickFire

IwXPsSa.png

nfzpQdd.png

Well done on the cultural changes around here. And its going to keep growing because there are very few CONVERSATIONS to be had elsewhere.

sn0man

I can't understand the bizarre obsession with Naughty Dog on ERA, i really can't 😳
They worship them like they are beyond gaming or something

As someone that really likes TLOU it is quite difficult to ignore that mentality you speak of. All games can be critiqued (except Super Mario World /s but seriously). I find it difficult to relate to any person/group that can’t receive and discuss criticism.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This is great to hear. Excited to see the community grow again.

Seriously. GAF was a baby Twitter when they were the majority, cancellations everywhere. It wasn’t fun. I hope they stay in their own communities.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Really happy shitposting here

Congrats EL and staff! I also lpve these periodic updates with the site and community by yall.

Last edited:

lillars

Long time lurker here who never posted before the tabula rasa. I'm happy this place is a haven for sane conversation about games now minus all the groupthink. Keep up the good work!

Top Bottom