• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Movies of the Year 2013 Voting Thread (voting closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ibeUlaceVOhFaV.gif

1. The Congress [thoughts]

image.jpg

2. Simon Killer [thoughts]

14JPKILLING1-articleLarge.jpg

3. The Act of Killing [thoughts]

years3.png

4. 12 Years A Slave [thoughts]

ibudGIjpq4m6rR.jpg

5. Rags and Tatters [thoughts]
Excellent trailer

ib1Cehzy5yIfus.gif

6. The World's End
Best action and comedy movie of 2013, bar none. Surprisingly poignant midlife crisis tale. Cornetto Trilogy is now the best comedy trilogy ever.

before_midnight_by_digi_matrix-d7745s4.jpg

7. Before Midnight [thoughts]
This cements the series as the best movie trilogy ever.

mud2main.jpg

8. Mud [thoughts]

ibtEwaK2RM80A1.gif

9. Filth [thoughts]

nebraska_graveyard_by_digi_matrix-d6x19bb.jpg

10. Nebraska [thoughts]

So hard to have a top 10 when a couple more deserve love too.
jkrxUU5PWvLtc.jpg

11. Europa Report
There was only one great hard sci-fi movie in 2013 and this was it. More concerned with the loneliness of space, wonder, and exploration of the unknown. Bear McCreary's score is fantastic.

Here's a feel good semi-related trio that should be watched: Prince Avalanche + Kings of Summer [thoughts] + The Spectacular Now [thoughts].

Chaser

1. Before Midnight
2. Inside Llewyn Davis
3. Her
4. 12 Years a Slave
5. The Wolf of Wall Street
6. The Way, Way Back
7. Upstream Color
8. American Hustle
9. Gravity
10. The World's End

There are several others I have yet to see and, at the least, I imagine The Act of Killing and Mud will take up spots once I do.

I can't say enough about Before Midnight (or the Before trilogy in general, which I finally got around to seeing late last year). Beautiful films.

UberTag

Aren't good superhero flicks the exception rather than the rule?
It's not like every year can boast a Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

For all of the oohing and aahing in the recent trailer thread, I haven't seen anything from Guardians of the Galaxy that gets me excited.
Kudos to James Gunn for finding ways to leverage his success with Zack Snyder in Dawn of the Dead for over a decade.

Aren't good superhero flicks the exception rather than the rule?
It's not like every year can boast a Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

For all of the oohing and aahing in the recent trailer thread, I haven't seen anything from Guardians of the Galaxy that gets me excited.
Kudos to James Gunn for finding ways to leverage his success with Zack Snyder in Dawn of the Dead for over a decade.

I never considered Scott Pilgrim as a superhero movie, more a videogame movie. You are at least excited for Ant Man, right? The action is guaranteed to be good with Wright.

Wilbur

Banned
I'm gonna make my list look pretty so fuck you guys

TEN
FROZEN​
Frozen-movie-Olaf-the-snowman.jpg

NINE
DALLAS BUYERS CLUB​
Dallas-Buyers-Club-Pic.jpg

EIGHT
PRISONERS​
prisoners.jpg

SEVEN
IRON MAN 3​
im34.jpg

SIX
NEBRASKA​
NEBRASKA.jpg

FIVE
12 YEARS A SLAVE​
PFC.jpg

FOUR
THE WOLF OF WALL STREET​
Wolf-of-Wall-Street-6.jpg

THREE
HER​
watch_her_5.jpg

TWO
THE WORLD'S END​
The-Worlds-End.jpg

ONE
INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS​
Inside.jpg

UberTag

I never considered Scott Pilgrim as a superhero movie, more a videogame movie. You are at least excited for Ant Man, right? The action is guaranteed to be good with Wright.
Given his pedigree I'll at least be catching it in theaters provided that it reviews decent but "excited" would be an exaggeration as The World's End left me kind of flat (as I noted earlier).

Granted it's not a 2014 movie, either - so it's not exactly on my immediate radar.

I'm gonna make my list look pretty so fuck you guys
Who said we didn't like pretty lists? I like pretty lists.

kinger256

1) 12 Years a slave
2) The Wolf of Wall Street
3) Gravity
4) Captain Phillips
5) The World's End
6) Frozen
7) Star Trek Into Darkness
8) Iron Man 3

Surprised that there were only eight movies I saw that were released last year. Lot of good movies I missed it seems. Will have to catch up on them later.

EliCash

1. Inside Llewyn Davis
2. Blue Jasmine
3. Stoker

Stoker a bit of a dark horse, I thought I'd hate it since Shadow of a Doubt is one of my favourite movies of all time.

MacNille

Banned
1. 12 years a slave
MV5BMjExMTEzODkyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTU4NTc4OQ@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

This film is really hard to sit through but god is it good!

2. Rush
rush.jpg

I have never cared so much about racing films, but this film kicked ass! Loved it.

3. Man of Steel
man-of-steel-poster-henry-cavill.jpg

Fuck the haters. This film had amzing action in it. Henry Cavil was a great superman. I don't care if he killed Zod.

4. The Places beyond the pines
MV5BMjc1OTEwNjU4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzUzNDIwOQ@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

So glad that I saw this film.

5. The Counselor
The_Counselor_Poster.jpg

It is a Ridley Scott film and I love him. Very disturbing film as well.

this is my top 5.

yepyepyep

1. Her
2. The Congress
3. Alone (dir. Wang Bing)
4. 12 Years a Slave
5. The Past
6. Manuscripts Don't Burn
7. Like Father, Like Son
8. Gravity

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
LIST.

1. The Place Beyond The Pines
2. The World's End
3. Captain Phillips
4. Frozen
5. The Kings of Summer
6. Evil Dead
7. Filth
8. The Hunger Games- Catching Fire
9. Thor- The Dark World
10. The Desolation of Smaug

Man of Steel/Pacific Rim and Iron Man 3 were all "mixed" to "awful". Summer was bad, but great year all the same though I think.

Okay let's do this

1. Before Midnight

How can this not be #1? It's not only a great movie, it takes two other movies I didn't like that much and retroactively makes them great. This movie is three great movies.

2. All is Lost

It's like Gravity, but good!

3. Ernest & Celestine

The correct answer for the best animated feature of the year. Felt very fresh next to the dozen per week CG animations that all look the same and have the same story. Oh look it's a princess story, but there's ice this time so that's totally different we swear.

4. Frozen

Then I actually watched Frozen without assuming things about it and hey, that one is great also. So great in fact that I'm still not sure if Ernest & Celestine at 3 and this at 4 is right and I've changed their positions several times by now. Settled on Frozen at 4 and it already seems wrong again as I'm typing this.

5. Only God Forgives

Being unique gets you way more points in my book than flawlessly executing on something generic as shit. Sure, some of the complaints I've read about this are totally valid, but on the other hand it was weird and different and I think that's cool.

6. The World's End

This is the kind of movie I'm thinking of when I hear the "It's just fun" description, not fucking Pacific Rim. You get your setup and nonstop wonderful nonsense follows right through to the end of the movie.

7. Blue Jasmine

Blanchett for best actress!

8. 12 Years a Slave
9. Short Term 12
10. Enough Said

Potential #11 movies: Her, What Maisie Knew, The Act of Killing, Prisoners.

Iron Man 3 vs Thor 2 vs Man of Steel: Man of Steel by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar

The Sunshine award for a ridiculous genre flip: How I Live Now

Biggest disappointment: Gravity

Linius

I was going to post something after reading your number three description but then I saw your number four. You fooled me well :p

FnordChan

01 - Gravity

The space fanboy in me demands that Gravity go to number one with a bullet and is one of the most visceral films I've ever seen. This was the best cinematic experience to come down the pike in ages and is probably the only time I'll ever actively encourage my friends to see a film in 3D that doesn't have the word "Piranha" in the title. Hell, it was even worth the IMAX tax.

02 - Drug War

Bless Johnnie To for continuing to make exactly the kind of HK gangster flicks that I love so much. Drug War is chock full of twitchy energy, bleak views of the mainland, utterly determined characters, and all hell breaking loose - then the last reel starts up and even more hell breaks loose. I dearly wish I could have seen this in the theater.

03 - American Hustle

The best superhero film ever made. Between Batman's epic comb over, Lois Lane falling out of her disco attire at every possible opportunity, Rocket Raccoon's meticulous curls, Mystique's Real Housewives of New Jersey inspired performance, and Hawkeye finally exhibiting the cheeky charisma he has in the comics, what's not to love? Also, the Arabic cover of "White Rabbit", recorded for the film, is the best foreign language cover soundtrack cue of 2013. All that and "I Feel Love"? Be still my disco loving heart.

04 - The Wolf of Wall Street

I've never seen Wall Street, but after this was over I described it as a combination of Wall Street and Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas, and no one told me I was wrong. Probably the most balls out entertaining film of the year, and certainly the only period film to really grasp the slapstick potential of 'ludes. I found the film's message - being a drug addled white collar criminal is lots of fun and you can get away with basically anything as long as you're stinking rich - to be particularly timely. And, even though it's the original version, Laura Branigan's rendition is so iconic that I'm still going to declare Umberto Tozzi's version of "Gloria" to be the second best foreign language cover soundtrack cue of 2013. So there.

05 - 12 Years A Slave

This film was such a well made, heart rending kick in the teeth that I can't find anything snarky to say about it, not even counting the "Oh, hey, it's Brad Pitt" moment. Hey, the man co-produced the film, so Brad Pitt can show up in it if he wants to.

06 - The World's End

As expected, this was another terrific, loving riff on genre cinema from Edgar Wright, chock full of comedy and action, and was, all around, super fun. However, on top of that I got to spend the entire film contemplating some uncomfortable similarities between myself and Gary King, so the whole early middle age angst angle really worked for me as well. I'm now very much looking forward to Ant Man, mainly because it probably won't feature nearly as much awkward self-reflection.

07 - Pacific Rim

KAIJU VERSUS MECHA~!

08 - Iron Man 3

Between my love of Marvel comics, RJD's portrayal of Tony Stark, Shane Black's style of action movies, and Gwyneth Paltrow in general, Iron Man 3 could not go wrong for me. Okay, so it ain't perfect, but I had a ton of fun with this flick and completely did not see Trevor coming, so any sins are entirely forgiven.

09 - You're Next

I'm a sucker for that most rare of cinematic beasts: smart, blackly humorous horror films. You're Next may not be the Platonic idea of that particular sub-genre, but it was such a pleasant surprise to encounter theatrically that it still manages to sneak into my top ten.

10 - Computer Chess

Finally, this movie was such a weird fucker that I couldn't help but put it in my rankings. I had absolutely no idea what to think of the film for the first third or so, but then a running gag completely paid off and I damn near laughed myself sick, at which point I was sold on the rest of the film. It's impressively off-kilter, the milieu is captured magnificently, and full points are awarded for fiming the entire thing on vintage video hardware. I realize that's a fairly hipster approach to the cinema, but what the hell.

Runner ups: Captain Phillips was a damn fine film, but I'm pretty sure I'll find it to be inferior to A Hijacking whenever I get around to watching that; Gimme The Loot was charming but not quite fully baked; and Inside Llewyn Davis is an incredibly well crafted film that is objectively quite good and that I personally never want to see again.

Movies I still need to see before crafting the definitive 2013 top ten films of my heart: Berberian Sound Studio, The Act of Killing, Upstream Color, A Touch of Sin, the aforementioned A Hijacking, Narco Cultura, The Wind Rises, Short Peace, Ernest & Celestine, The Congress, and undoubtedly many, many more.

FnordChan

1. The World's End - I debated making this my number 1, because it's SO great, but it doesn't stick the ending that well. I'm not even talking the epilogue stuff,
the confrontation between Gary and Andy is interrupted by the big reveal and it's way less impactful
. But I'm also probably going to rewatch it more than Short Term 12, so.
2. Short Term 12
3. You're Next - this is my kind of shit. You'll know if it isn't your kind of shit. I kinda loved it though.
4. Rush
5. Captain Phillips
6. Drug War - I gotta watch more Johnnie To
7. Frances Ha
8. This is the End - it is what it is, y'know
9. Pacific Rim - I DID see it twice in theaters on opening day. pretty sure that's the only time i've done that.
10. Dallas Buyers Club - gotta have at least one MM movie in here. I also liked it quite a bit.
HMs - Frozen made me pretty happy. Gravity was pretty good.
It's temporary, I may edit it before Sunday if it turns out i really like Wolf of Wall Street or Computer Chess or whatever. Stuff I wanted to see but never got around to - Kings of Summer, The Way Way Back, Spectacular Now, Blue Jasmine, 12 Years a Slave, Something in the Air, Bastards, Shield of Straw, Nebraska, Filth, Before Midnight, A Hijacking, and Inside Llewyn Davis. A lot of stuff, basically.

HoJu

1. Under the Skin
2. Before Midnight
3. Like Someone in Love
4. Inside Llewyn Davis
5. Stoker
6. Museum Hours
7. The Past
8. 12 Years a Slave
9. Frances Ha
10. Her

'twas a good year

big ander

1. Under the Skin
2. Before Midnight
3. Like Someone in Love
4. Inside Llewyn Davis
5. Stoker
6. Museum Hours
7. The Past
8. 12 Years a Slave
9. Frances Ha
10. Her

'twas a good year

grr where'd you see Under the Skin? LFF? Guess I'm jealous no matter the location.

Wilbur

Banned
We should have a NeoGAF movies of the FOREVER voting thread

also Under the Skin looks brilliant, and the reviews are phenomenal

breakfuss

1. 12 Years a Slave
2. Nebraska
3. Mud
4. Francis Ha
5. Into Darkness
6. Mother of George
7. Gravity
8. The Hunt

I'll update before tomorrow. Still haven't seen some big ones (wolf of w.street, her, frozen) and also working out my feelings about Captain Philips. Blue Jasmine & Dallas Buyers Club had terrific performances, but not sure they were in my favorites. I wanted to like Pacific Rim more :(. Only God Forgives...so damn awful...it's good?

ibeUlaceVOhFaV.gif

1. The Congress [thoughts]

OH my lord. This looks amazing?! How did you see this?????

Divius

Ahhhh Deadline day. Maybe I should fiddle around with my list some more. Maybe I should not.

edit: oh tomorrow is deadline day

madkiller

1.Inside Llewyn Davis
2.Only God Forgives
3.Stoker
4.Upstream Color
5.Computer Chess
6.Drug War
7.The World's End
8.A Field in England
9.Simon Killer
10.New World

Mr. Sam

Only God Forgives...so damn awful...it's good?

From what I'd heard of Only God Forgives, I expected the movie to be damn near indecipherable. As someone who sat through the entirety of Tree of Life - and sat through is correct wording - it was plain straightfoward.

OH my lord. This looks amazing?! How did you see this?????
BFI London Film Festival! :D Which I think I mention in my thoughts.

I'm just now getting used to how advantageous going to a film festival is. Some movies you get to see that'll release in a month anyway, so not worth it but then some don't come out for many months or not much of a theater release so you get to see it a time where loads of like-minded people come to see that one rare movie. Like The Congress or Rags and Tatters.

Salvadora

1. Her
2. Before Midnight
3. The Wolf of Wall Street
4. The Hunt
5. 12 Years a Slave
6. Blue Jasmine

I haven't seen all that I'd like too (missed Inside Llewyn Davis, Dallas Buyers Club etc), but I'm happy with my list.

Gattsu25

Banned
1. 12 Years a Slave
2. Pacific Rim
3. Fruitvale Station

4. The Wolf of Wall Street
5. Gravity

I didn't see many new films last year. I probably should rank fruitvale higher but I've watched Pacific Rim so many times.

Edwardo

1. The Wolf of Wall Street
2. The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug
3. Man of Steel
4. Fast & Furious 6
5. This Is the End
6. Pacific Rim
7. American Hustle
8. Now You See Me
9. The Great Gatsby
10. Star Trek: Into Darkness

I'm just now getting used to how advantageous going to a film festival is. Some movies you get to see that'll release in a month anyway, so not worth it but then some don't come out for many months or not much of a theater release so you get to see it a time where loads of like-minded people come to see that one rare movie. Like The Congress or Rags and Tatters.

Yep! That's why, when I go to a festival, I try to give preference over ones that aren't coming out soon.

Danielsan

Not too happy about making a list right now, as Her isn't released until the 27th over here and I'm fairly certain that it would take my top spot. I also still need to watch a ton of other contenders.

Right now it's:

1. Short Term 12
2. Jagten (The Hunt)
3. Gravity
4. Inside Llewyn Davis
5. The Stories We Tell
6. Before Midnight
7. The Way Way Back
8. The World's End
9. Mud
10. The Spectacular Now

But half of this list I liked but didn't love.

Yet to see: Her, 12 Years A Slave, Fruitvale Station, Black Fish, Blue Is The Warmest Color, Inside Llewyn Davis, Blue Jasmin, Frances Ha, American Hustle, The Act of Killing, The Wolf of Wallstreet, The Wind Rises, Frozen and some others mentioned in this thread. Overall it seems like it was an outstanding year for film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom