• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Pokémon Showdown Gym League

Roman

If I wasn't wanting to avoid SuMo 'Mons before meeting them in-game, I'd sign on for the Ground Gym. I mean, I'd totally be the League's Glass Joe, but I think it'd be pretty fun. I'm already in a Showdown League myself, but it's structured less like the games and more like the NHL.

Alright, get back to us once you've played the game!

Busaiku

Just a heads up to anyone that wants to join the Fairy Gym.
If you join up, you can take over as the Leader, I'll just be a standard trainer.

WhyMe6

Signed up as a challenger! I'm not sure when I'll get the time to pop on, but I'm always keen for Showdown.

Roman

Signed up as a challenger! I'm not sure when I'll get the time to pop on, but I'm always keen for Showdown.

Welcome! I'd be glad to see you in our Discord server so I can assign you the Challenger role and so you won't miss any quick updates.

doop_

Banned
Anyone want to battle ? I am the flying gym leader so make sure you bring rock and electric types !

Darkness falls across the land
The midnight hour is close at hand
Creatures crawl in search of blood
To terrorize your neighbourhood
And whosoever shall be found
Without the soul for getting down
Must stand and face the hounds of hell
And rot inside a corpse's shell

mattebat_scraftyko_transparent.png

The Dark-type Gym is now OPEN.

The formats we support are Gen 6 UU Singles and Gen 7 Pokebank OU Singles. Come, and test your mastery of creatures shunned from the upper echelon. We're so excited to have you as our guest!

Roman

As some of you have noticed we have added some players from general Showdown to buff up our participation numbers and increase the level of competition.

If you see a Gym member without a GAF account simply contact them on our Discord or Showdown servers!

Roman

We now easily have enough people for our first Elite Tournament. We're in a rush to do it, since someone already has 8 badges.

So without further ado, here's the Elite Tournament signup sheet

Since this tournament is intended to determine Elites and Elites are supposed to be skillfull Gym members -

ONLY GYM MEMBERS CAN SIGN UP
USE YOUR GYM ACCOUNT

THE TOURNAMENT STARTS THIS SATURDAY

IT'S GOING TO CONTINUE UNTIL WE'RE DONE EVEN IF IT TAKES WEEKS SO DON'T WORRY IF YOUR SCHEDULE IS BUSY

SIGNUP SHEET FOR ELITE TOURNAMENT #1

• Thaitea-g22
  • AaronGrassGym
  • tshadowknight
  • randooop
  • Scraftyko
  • MCKer
  • LuluChibiLeader
  • Kaindoge

Roman

We have sixteen open Gyms as of this moment! I am really happy this is shaping up!

Huge thank you to all participants for this milestone!

WhyMe6

I'll take the Normal gym, then! Guys, if you want an easy badge, take me on. Normal monotype is tough to work with, man.

Ah, and please make my Normal gym mascot pokemon in the OP my main man Regigigas!

I'll join the tournament, even though I expect to sit last. If I may clarify, the tournament rule about switching teams means that when I battle the Bug leader and the Steel leader, I have to use the same pokemon?

Rongolian

Banned
I've got to say this is one of the coolest looking communities here on GAF! I'm definitely gonna check out how much it would take to participate!

Noob question: is it standard to max out Pokemon levels when challenging the gyms? Are levels standardized somehow? Is there a generally accepted way of training your pokemon to max level efficiently? I've never played "competitive" Pokemon so I'm unsure how the battling actually works.

Roman

I'll take the Normal gym, then! Guys, if you want an easy badge, take me on. Normal monotype is tough to work with, man.

Ah, and please make my Normal gym mascot pokemon in the OP my main man Regigigas!

I'll join the tournament, even though I expect to sit last. If I may clarify, the tournament rule about switching teams means that when I battle the Bug leader and the Steel leader, I have to use the same pokemon?

Great! As a Gym Leader your team may contain 2 non-Normal types. This is also true for the Elite tournament.

For the last question, yes - your team has to carry you the whole way, this is true for them as well.

I've got to say this is one of the coolest looking communities here on GAF! I'm definitely gonna check out how much it would take to participate!

Noob question: is it standard to max out Pokemon levels when challenging the gyms? Are levels standardized somehow? Is there a generally accepted way of training your pokemon to max level efficiently? I've never played "competitive" Pokemon so I'm unsure how the battling actually works.

Thanks a lot!

We are using Pokemon Showdown, where you don't have to level up or train anything. In most formats, the Pokemon you use are automatically Level 100 with max IVs (though you can reduce certain IVs if it benefits you like speed in Trick Room or Attack for less confusion damage). Ergo, player skill and team composition are the most decisive factors.

By the way:

EVERYONE WHO SIGNED UP FOR THE TOURNAMENT, SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE WITH YOUR TEAM

THE FORMAT IS GEN 7 POKEBANK OU SINGLES

WhyMe6

Great! As a Gym Leader your team may contain 2 non-Normal types. This is also true for the Elite tournament.

For the last question, yes - your team has to carry you the whole way, this is true for them as well.

By the way:

EVERYONE WHO SIGNED UP FOR THE TOURNAMENT, SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE WITH YOUR TEAM

Oh my, what a mess. Turns out all the good Megas are "unreleased" for normal. Pidgeot, Lopunny, as well as the other ones I considered for support. Can you please change my gym to "Gen 6 OU", I ain't using Monotype normal in a post-UB/Tapu world without a mega.

Also, I'll withdraw from the tournament for now. Most folks are running Gen 7 Pokebank, so I won't be able to use my team against them anyway!

Oh my, what a mess. Turns out all the good Megas are "unreleased" for normal. Pidgeot, Lopunny, as well as the other ones I considered for support. Can you please change my gym to "Gen 6 OU", I ain't using Monotype normal in a post-UB world without a mega.

Gyms can use two pokemon outside their type, so you could always user a mega from another type if you really want one (For instance, I use a non-grass mega on my grass team)

WhyMe6

Gyms can use two pokemon outside their type, so you could always user a mega from another type if you really want one (For instance, I use a non-grass mega on my grass team)

Right, but I need some very particularly good special attacking Megas, but they're mostly unreleased. Alakazam is the best I can get, but he doesn't sit as well as I want him in my team. The two normal ones, Manectric, Diancie, Gardevoir, Lati@s are all unreleased :(

Come fight my normal gym and get yourself a shiny normal badge!

Roman

Right, but I need some very particularly good special attacking Megas, but they're mostly unreleased. Alakazam is the best I can get, but he doesn't sit as well as I want him in my team. The two normal ones, Manectric, Diancie, Gardevoir, Lati@s are all unreleased :(

Okay, that's a shame but I will sign you out of the tournament for now and change your offered formats.

I might be down for this.

Welcome! When you join, please use the signup sheet. Joining our Discord would be very convenient for me also.

Roman

The Electric Gym is now the only one still left unopened!

Please keep in mind that you can absolutely join already open Gyms as Trainers and battle Challengers to earn EXP, so that you can eventually promote to Gym Leader status.

Furthermore, you can sign up as the Fairy Gym's Leader since Busaiku would like to step down and become a Trainer.

Roman

As you can see, all of our Gyms are open now! You can still sign up as the Fairy Gym Leader since Busaiku would like to step down.

It is now your responsibility as Leaders to recruit more members for your Gyms!

The more skilled players in your Gyms, the higher your chances to exceed at CTF tournaments!

Xenoboy

Srry for not being active the past few days, had some busy and long days. I will be able to start playing tomorrow and accepting challengers.

Roman

Srry for not being active the past few days, had some busy and long days. I will be able to start playing tomorrow and accepting challengers.

No worries! All Gyms are open now so you don't have to stress it if you are having busy days.

Roman

doop_ has decided to step down as a Flying Gym Leader and instead join the Fighting Gym as a Trainer!

The Flying Gym is now closed again, spread the word so we find someone who would like to open it up and become its Leader!

Roman

Since we'll soon have our first Elites I have added some incentives for Elites to compete with each other, so that they don't just wait for Challengers.

Thus, Elite Trials

• Elites compete with each other in Elite Trials
  • These are tournaments between Elites
  • Winners of Elite Trials become Elite Captains
  • Elite Captains only have to have at least 2 Pokemon of their type focus, unless they participate in Elite Trials (where it's 3 for everyone)
  • There can only be one Elite Captain at a time
  • Challengers have to defeat the Elite Captain as the last of their 4 battles
  • If the Elite Captain is not available, the runner-up of the last Elite Trial applies
  • Elite Captains receive 60 EXP for beating Challengers, and 30 EXP for losing to Challengers.

More information in the OP!

Roman

The Fighting and Fairy Gyms have new Leaders now!

The Flying Gym remains the only unopened Gym for now. Join other Gyms as Trainers or open the Flying Gym to becomes its Leader!

Daemul

My condolences to the Normal type gym leader

Anyway, I'll take the Flying type Gym leader position. I'll offer, Pokebank OU SIngles, Prebank OU Singles and Battlespot Singles.

If you think you can get past my team then come and have a go!

Roman

My condolences to the Normal type gym leader

Anyway, I'll take the Flying type Gym leader position. I'll offer, Pokebank OU SIngles, Prebank OU Singles and Battlespot Singles.

If you think you can get past my team then come and have a go!

Great! Welcome!

We're now also starting up signups for the first CTF Tournament!

If you would like your Gym to join the competition, please use the signup sheet!

Top Bottom