• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Post by Ori Dev: Scorpio is a "full blown next generation Console

rokkerkory

Sounds great to me... if the power is high then sign me up earlier.

I have a feeling it's gonna be a tad more than 6TF. ;)

The Scorpio is largely about being much better than the original Xbox One in power though -- not the PS4 Pro.

The gap between Xbox One and Scorpio will definitely be larger than PS4 and PS4 Pro.

Your post was about them overall -- not just Pro/Scorpio.

No it wasn't.

I've seen GopherD a Sony dev say a few times that Scorpio is next gen and different to the PS4 Pro. Just for some balance as the cherubs seem to be getting insecure over poor Thomas' post.

But I think both are mainly talking about the hardware upgrade, not any kind of game exclusivity.

Here's one -

You can say it as many times as you like. Scorpio is a new generation.

From here -

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=207984845&highlight=#post207984845

Carry on!

Again, do you think Scorpio won't play the same games as Scorpio II?

This logic has been abandoned, compatibility is rolling across generations of devices ala iPhone now

This sudden cut-off point everyones anticipating wont happen unless x86 architecture becomes obsolete.
next gen in iphones have always had a different meaning from consoles.

if you're gonna say something like "full blown next gen" in the context of a console, yes im going to assume your using the same definition as every other console generation before it.

statham

PS Bro sold 238k, Pro systems in December, I bet Scorpio doubles that for December. (NPD of course, 2017)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The only thing I noticed about any of this stuff, is Playstation execs/devs don't say shit, Xbox execs/devs run their mouth like little bitches non stop. They can't help themselves mouth open all the time shit is nauseating.

I like Playstaion approach, just shut the fuck up already.

Whoa nelly, step back a bit.

The only thing I noticed about any of this stuff, is Playstation execs/devs don't say shit, Xbox execs/devs run their mouth like little bitches non stop.

Don't call another GAFfer a 'little bitch' for making a valid contribution.

Microsoft are clearly trying to get away from the generational approach, Spencer has made this painstakingly obvious. A new console, a new gen, will overlap. It is all 'one', as PC is. How people can see this method in front of their eyes on PC (minimum requirements / lower graphics vs recommend requirements / ultra graphics), yet fail to see that Microsoft is doing the same is beyond me.

PS Bro sold 238k, Pro systems in December, I bet Scorpio doubles that for December. (NPD of course, 2017)

I'm not taking that bet, because you're damn right.

How is this not a middle finger to X1 owners? Next gen implies exclusives, so either X1 holds the Scorpio back or Scorpio is like a PC and Xbox is done with exclusives

Don't call another GAFfer a 'little bitch' for making a valid contribution.

Microsoft are clearly trying to get away from the generational approach, Spencer has made this painstakingly obvious. A new console, a new gen, will overlap. It is all 'one', as PC is. How people can see this method in front of their eyes on PC (minimum requirements / lower graphics vs recommend requirements / ultra graphics), yet fail to see that Microsoft is doing the same is beyond me.

I'm not taking that bet, because you're damn right.

Show me where I called a gaffer a bitch.

ResoRai

It's all the same gen if every game must be compatible with the original Xbox One. It will hold back development to mandate that every disc printed under the Xbox brand must be compatible with old hardware. I'm not budging on that stance. Increased resolution or a few special effects is not the same thing as a new generation.
If seen this way, MS will never have any new next gen consoles then.
And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't MS simplifying development? UWP and all that? If anything their first party games should be able to take full advantage yeah?

SOR5

next gen in iphones have always had a different meaning from consoles.

if you're gonna say something like "full blown next gen" in the context of a console, yes im going to assume your using the same definition as every other console generation before it.

Okay but the Xbox will keep going and going doing this with rolling compatibility until 2025 or whenever the last Xbox comes out

By those terms the Xbox would be stuck in the eighth gen all that time

There isnt going to be the magic next-gen cut-off point at least not with Xbox. What a generation is needs to be reexamined with them. Because they ARE adopting the iPhone model, albeit less frequent milestone releases.

Generation agnosticism was the entire point of their E3 conference, the 360 game support was the first hint

Unknown?

What does that have to do with anything?

The Scorpio is largely about being much better than the original Xbox One in power though -- not the PS4 Pro.

The gap between Xbox One and Scorpio will definitely be larger than PS4 and PS4 Pro.

Your post was about them overall -- not just Pro/Scorpio.

Well yes it will be a bigger difference from the OG Xbox but what my point is is that it not being a leap from the Pro will make it a piss poor generational leap. If they get rid of generations though they will have a hard time marketing to the general public who got confused with the Wii and Wii U.

Bsigg12

How is this not a middle finger to X1 owners? Next gen implies exclusives, so either X1 holds the Scorpio back or Scorpio is like a PC and Xbox is done with exclusives

All of Microsoft's games are essentially slated to hit Windows 10 alongside the Xbox. They don't care where you play if you're buying their games.

olag

I think its great that devs are finally willing to talk about the Scorpio. But coming out of the woodwork calling a direct competitor's product "Kinda half-assed" months/weeks before the official specs are released?

Boldmovecotton.gif

Will look forward to seeing if the Scorpio is a genuine generational leap.

Because if we go off the GAF comments of one dev, we'd go into full outrage mode multiple times a week.

I'm happy to sit and wait. Calm the drama until we get some facts, yeah?

But all Xbox One games can be played on Scorpio, so no.

What does that have to do with it? You could play all PS1 games on PS2 as well. He's likely talking in terms of raw power. You will also be able to play hundreds of Xbox 360 games as well.

Also, I believe MS has been pretty clear with stating that you will no longer lose your game library in subsequent console generations, which is an incredibly smart move. I sincerely doubt Sony will design a PS5 that isn't backwards compatible with PS4 either.

cakely

I thought that anyone that you'd want to make that offer to is already is already on your block list. That was a pretty big thread.

jayu26

Here is the problem with this, as long as third parties are at least targeting base PS4 they are not going to utilize Scorpio's power fully. If that is the case then games cannot really look like a complete generation ahead on Scorpio can they? And good luck trying to convince third parties to drop support for base PS4. Moreover, if Microsoft decides to make next Halo and Gears Scorpio only, then it will not only look bad because they have already said that that is not going to happen, but would also reduce the potential sells on top of already declining sells.

This is not a good idea Microsoft (and fans who want this).

Okay but the Xbox will keep going and going doing this with rolling compatibility until 2025 or whenever the last Xbox comes out

By those terms the Xbox would be stuck in the eighth gen all that time

There isnt going to be the magic next-gen cut-off point at least not with Xbox. What a generation is needs to be reexamined with them. Because they ARE adopting the iPhone model, albeit much less frequent.

Generation agnosticism was the entire point of their E3 conference, the 360 game support was the first hint

then when someone decides to talk they need to provide context and not just say "full blown next generation" cause like I said, the definition of how it's used when talking about consoles is not the same as phones. We are not at the point where everyone is going to assume you're talking about the phone model.

Bgamer90

Banned
Well yes it will be a bigger difference from the OG Xbox but what my point is is that it not being a leap from the Pro will make it a piss poor generational leap.

But again, this isn't really targeting PS4 Pro owners. It will be a good leap for the majority of current gen gamers.

If they get rid of generations though they will have a hard time marketing to the general public who got confused with the Wii and Wii U.

I don't think many people got confused with PS4 Pro -- many just felt they didn't need it yet. Same will more than likely be the case with Xbox Scorpio when it releases but it may possibly be a bit different if they market the Scorpio as being different/separate from the Xbox One brand.

No it wasn't.

Haha, okay.

I've seen GopherD a Sony dev say a few times that Scorpio is next gen and different to the PS4 Pro. Just for some balance as the cherubs seem to be getting insecure over poor Thomas' post.

But I think both are mainly talking about the hardware upgrade, not any kind of game exclusivity.

Here's one -

From here -

Carry on!

The tides have turned higher once again!!@!@! Oooooo shiiiiitttt

Ahgisowowmnrkwlslaoaonahsusaona

They've been done with exclusives for almost a year now. XB1, Scorpio, W10 is the ecosystem going forward. They adopting the PC approach of scaling the game across multiple pieces of hardware.

Here is the problem with this, as long as third parties are at least targeting base PS4 they are not going to utilize Scorpio's power fully. If that is the case then games cannot really look like a complete generation ahead on Scorpio can they? And good luck trying to convince third parties to drop support for base PS4. Moreover, if Microsoft decides to make next Halo and Gears Scorpio only, then it will not only look bad because they have already said that that is not going to happen, but would also reduce the potential sells on top of already declining sells.

This is not a good idea Microsoft (and fans who want this).

Remember how PC graphics stayed at PS3 levels until late 2013? Remember how not one cross-platform title released before that point looked / performed markedly better on PC than it did on the PS3?

Nah, me neither.

Elfstruck

With the time frames of everything, pro should not have been made. 2018 ps5 would have worked. Now they may have to hold on to pro a little too long or shorter.

Maybe they show think of how to release a pro system
Near release of a new gen a high price yes, but option is there. I guess it's still a bit difficult to blend it like phones.

Obviously Cerny and Sony is already planning for PS5. PS4 Pro was just a minor upgrade along the way. By 2018, it has only been 5 years into PS4's cycle, and judging by PS4 sale performance, Sony is in no rush to announce PS5. As for MS, they want to have a fresh start with Scorpio.

But again, this isn't really targeting PS4 Pro owners. It will be a good leap for the majority of current gen gamers.

I don't think many people got confused with PS4 Pro -- many just felt they didn't need it yet. Same will more than likely be the case with Xbox Scorpio when it releases but it may possibly be a bit different if they market the Scorpio as being different/separate from the Xbox One brand.

Haha, okay.

Read what I wrote, I said "stufff like this" so the jokes on you, corn.

The only thing I noticed about any of this stuff, is Playstation execs/devs don't say shit, Xbox execs/devs run their mouth like little bitches non stop. They can't help themselves mouth open all the time shit is nauseating.

I like Playstaion approach, just shut the fuck up already.

The God

Here's one -

From here -

Carry on!

gopher d apparently isn't even verified so take this with a grain of salt

farisr

Here's one -

From here -

Carry on!
For context though, the conversation in that topic that was happening was whether the Scorpio should be considered a new generation or not going by what MS said and whether the Pro would qualify.

I even posted in that topic, something along the lines of if MS is switching over to the iterative formula, then yes, the Scorpio is considered MS' next gen console. If Sony is sticking to the traditional gen formula, then the Pro is not a next-gen console.

This topic, however is about a "full-blown next generation" console. Which implies massive leaps in tech and power compared to the last gen consoles, ~4 times (~3 times if base ps4 is considered) the power of last gen consoles is not really a "full blown next generation).

Nzyme32

Proper indefinite perpetuity is a huge win for Xbox imo. If Steam Link, Controller and the whole movement of itx / small form factor market hadn't been successful, this is the sort of thing I would be overjoyed for. This would be particularly true for Nintendo who I have given up on at this point.

I really don't see Scorpio being a full blown next generation, when the Xbox One will be there to hamstring it from really making a generational lead in the games themselves and what they can do. Even graphics can only go so far if this really is an attempt for true native 4K rendering as advertised. However I suspect the marketing is more bull and they will happily use alternate rendering techniques and similar checkerboarding to challenge fidelity.

Along with that games are the real problem. Even the regular stable of games are just crap, uninspired and not really doing anything that gets me interested. Changing that will be key but will take quite a long time to generate enough content for those like me that need a lot of content to justify a purchase - though having said that xbox ones will eventually get dirt cheap and play them anyway for those happy with the lower end.

I suspect once these are solved Xbox will be a whole lot more interesting as a prospect for many. For me as PC guy at this point, the Xbox efforts are non starter for folks like me that need the openness, flexibility and interoperability with everything. By design that is not the direction that is heading in, but already the ability to at least have some flexibility and freedom of PC hardware changes when I want is a better proposition, so the console gets pushed aside in favor of seeing if MS ever shifts away from UWP - almost certainly never going to happen.

ResoRai

then when someone decides to talk they need to provide context and not just say "full blown next generation" cause like I said, the definition of how it's used when talking about consoles is not the same as phones. We are not at the point where everyone is going to assume you're talking about the phone model.
I guess Thomas thought he was clear enough in his post.
Thomas made it clear that Microsoft will need to do some work on promoting the new console to make sure the consumer doesn’t compare it to the PS4 Pro, and that it might just be considered an upgrade rather than this big new console.
If he's right remains to be seen tho.
Zenny Zen plzzzz

Top Bottom