• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Best Films of All-Time: Results Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never saw the voting thread to vote, but I guess it's no surprise that not a single black movie made it in and the two with the most black people in it are of course by Quentin Tarantino and Do The Right Thing which seems to be the only Spike Lee movie non HBCU university film programs care about.

Do the Right Thing isn't a black movie?

Aside from Eve's Bayou, Do the Right Thing, One False Move, and Menace II Society, I honestly can't think of many movies by black filmmakers that could be considered great films. Maybe Sweet Sweetback or Superfly but at that point you start including merely good films for the sake of diversity rather than merit. I would suggest Nothing But a Man http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058414/ and Hoop Dreams http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110057/ but neither of those are made by black directors. I am surprised that Hoop Dreams didn't make this list.

Window

Thanks a lot for tallying the vote guys. Could you tell us how many unique films were listed?

How the hell does Modern Times not chart in the top 355...

Lol forreal this list is generic as fuck
It's not that bad. Ignore the rankings and it becomes interesting!

Mr. Sam

There wasn't too much horror love spread throughout the votes. I believe I contributed to half of Halloween's total point count.

The Exorcist got 21 points. The fucking Exorcist! I don't know how many people other than me voted for The Evil Dead but it wasn't a lot.

big ander

1) Three Colors: Red (1994) [#260]
2) The Night of the Hunter (1955) [#259]
3) The Tree of Life (2011) [#69]
4) Surviving Desire (1993) [---]
5) Sunrise (1927) [#181]
6) Alien (1979) [#5]
7) The Rules of the Game (1939) [#286]
8) Groundhog Day (1993) [#61]
9) Contempt (1963) [---]
10) The Curse of the Cat People (1944) [---]

Yup, about how I'd expected this to shake out, as pretty much an imdb top list.

Thanks for compiling!

Aside from Eve's Bayou, Do the Right Thing, One False Move, and Menace II Society, I honestly can't think of many movies by black filmmakers that could be considered great films. Maybe Sweet Sweetback or Superfly but at that point you start including merely good films for the sake of diversity rather than merit. I would suggest Nothing But a Man http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058414/ and Hoop Dreams http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110057/ but neither of those are made by black directors. I am surprised that Hoop Dreams didn't make this list.
Ousmane Sembene, Charles Burnett, Souleymane Cisse, Oscar Micheaux: all acclaimed filmmakers whose movies pop up on all-time lists. and that doesn't even broach people like Fuqua and Singleton, or more current directors like Abderrahmane Sissako, Steve McQueen. up and comers like Justin Simien and Jordan Peele and Ava Duvernay. there are a lot of great movies from black filmmakers.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They did.

It was called Interstellar.

And it's the greatest Nolan film, nay, almost the greatest film of all time, second only to 2001.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Surprisingly good, I always end up disappointed in GAF movie threads.

They did.

It was called Interstellar.

And it's the greatest Nolan film, nay, almost the greatest film of all time, second only to 2001.

And the trend continues.

I love that as loud as the Nolan fan base is as represented by these results its the haters that are even louder here today.

Tbh, I don't think ESP, or Raiders is as interesting as TDK. And no I'm not looking for opinions on why I'm wrong.

Maybe if I was younger or saw them when I was younger and not at 15 and 21.

But 14 year old me was speechless in 2008 at the TDK premiere. Watching ESP and Raiders afterwards were cool experiences but not comparable. People need to consider a lot of the totally random reasons people think TDK is considered a classic for them.

Glad 2001 and Blade Runner are so high.

mantidor

H1yCNVn.jpg

I'm cackling at this image.

I don't like Nolan anyway, not my favorite director for sure.

Here is my top 20. IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

Drive (2011)
Psycho (1960)
In Bruges (2008)
Alien (1979)
The Shining (1980)
Fight Club (1999)
Strangers on a Train (1951)
Blade Runner(1982)
The Thing (1982)
The Terminator (1984)
Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991)
Fantasia (1940)
Princess Mononoke (1997)
The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
Zodiac (2007)
Enter the Dragon (1973)
Jaws (1975)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
The Prestige (2006)
Yellow Submarine (1968)

Vice

The list is filled with plenty of junky or OK movies though. It's more so a case of people not being familiar with black film makers than a quality thing. After all Rush Hour and Clerks 2 are on the list.

Steamlord

Thanks so much for getting this finished.

So comparing my list to the results...

1. Repulsion - 283
2. Lost in Translation - 22
3. Nosferatu - 299
4. Persona - 92
5. The Passion of Joan of Arc - 109
6. Eraserhead - 250
7. Marketa Lazarová - not on list
8. Metropolis - 281
9. City Lights - 200
10. Heathers - not on list

And rearranged according to GAF:

1. Lost in Translation
2. Persona
3. The Passion of Joan of Arc
4. City Lights
5. Eraserhead
6. Metropolis
7. Repulsion
8. Nosferatu
9. Marketa Lazarová
10. Heathers

To be fair, I included Heathers partly because I felt my list leaned too much toward the artsy stuff and I wanted to balance it out a bit. I do adore Heathers though, so it's not really a stretch.

Now, can more people please watch Marketa Lazarová and recognize it for the masterpiece that it is?

Ugh. 2001 is absolutely deserving, but very little Herzog, little to no Ozu, little Allen, little Bergman, little Antonioni, no Satyajit Ray, only one McQueen (and his most conventional one, to boot), too few Welles, few Dreyer, way too much Nolan, and lots of Spielberg shit and Hollywood pablum.

Edit: I didn't vote, because lists like these always devolve into the lowest common denominator, so I have no room to complain, really, but still, very boring, safe, and not very worldly or film literate list. GAF seems to skew toward gamers who are a little older, so I was expecting a little more, I guess. I dunno.

I was waiting for this to see where Eyes Wide Shut placed, after being pleasantly surprised by it getting as much attention in the voting as it did. It got into the top 100 (96th). Hopefully in another 16 years it will be in the top 50. :p

335. Hedwig and the Angry Inch, not Witch

lol
It sounds like an exciting sequel. :)
It's a great movie, I should rewatch it.

Window

Ugh. 2001 is absolutely deserving, but very little Herzog, little to no Ozu, little Allen, little Bergman, little Antonioni, no Satyajit Ray, only one McQueen (and his most conventional one, to boot), too few Welles, few Dreyer, way too much Nolan, and lots of Spielberg shit and Hollywood pablum.

Were you really expecting a lot of films from those directors to show up? This isn't the Mubi forum (RIP).

Bronx-Man

Banned

Edit: I didn't vote, because lists like these always devolve into the lowest common denominator, so I have no room to complain, really, but still, very boring, safe, and not very worldly or film literate list. GAF seems to skew toward gamers who are a little older, so I was expecting a little more, I guess. I dunno.

Half the people in this thread wouldn't be able to name any of those director's works.

GAF normally has better taste than this.

joker-laugh-o.gif

Were you really expecting a lot of films from those directors to show up? This isn't the Mubi forum (RIP).

Fleshed out above. GAF skews a little older, so I'd hoped it might avoid the "young white guy" syndrome. And whether it's expected or not doesn't change that it's a shame to see great film unrecognized, especially with something like The Dark Knight in the top 10.

Window

Half the people in this thread wouldn't be able to name any of those director's works.

Which is okay, they don't have to. Let's not be condescending. I think if anything, maybe this list (and the thread where people listed their lists) will cause people to seek out and explore some of those films which are present on this list (I've used the word list too many times in this sentence).

I just wanted to see if Interstellar was going to be painfully high. Its over at least other 30 movies it shouldn't be. At least my GOAT is at 20

impact

Banned
The Dark Knight in the top 10 invalidates the entire thing tbh

I'm honestly surprised it wasn't top 3 with how popular super heroes are on this site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom