• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Originals premiere dates (Marco Polo S2, Arrested Development might return)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Warning, spoilers for House of Cards and Orange at the link. Posted in the Netflix thread, but new news.

The Fall (Jan. 16): Gillian Anderson (The X-Files) stars in season 2 of the BBC drama about a police detective investigating murders in Belfast.

The Adventures of Puss in Boots (Jan. 16), the latest kids' series from DreamWorks Animation.

House of Cards Season 3 (Feb. 27):

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (March 6): Ellie Kemper stars as a woman who leaves a cult after 15 years to start a new life in New York. Tina Fey and Robert Carlock (30 Rock) produce this comedy, originally set for NBC.

Bloodline (March 20): Sam Shepard and Sissy Spacek head a Florida Keys innkeeper family that unravels when a black-sheep son returns after a long-buried tragedy. Kyle Chandler and Linda Cardellini co-star.

Marvel's Daredevil (April 10): Matt Murdock (Charlie Cox) is a lawyer-turned-superhero daredevil by night in modern-day New York. Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Luke Cage and a combined Defenders series will appear at roughly one-year intervals.

Grace and Frankie (May 8): Comedy from Marta Kauffman (Friends) stars Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin as "frenemies" brought together when their husbands fall in love with each other.

Orange Is the New Black Season 3 (summer)

Sense8 (later this year): Eight characters in different cities are connected by a simultaneous "violent vision" in this drama from the Wachowskis (The Matrix).

Narcos (later this year): Drama about cocaine cartels and the lawmen who try to stop them.

Edit- Article forgot Hemlock Grove Season 3. BoJack Horseman S2 is also coming.

Marco Polo Season 2 (Link):

The drama, which launched in December, stars Lorenzo Richelmy as the titular character during the era of Kublai Khan. Polo will return for a 10-episode sophomore run.

Arrested Development (Link)

On the Arrested Development front, Sarandos is “very optimistic” about the show returning. “Everyone is trying to make it happen,” he told reporters.

Boem

Not sure if I should be excited about AD returning or not. I thought the Netflix season was very interesting in it's approach, but a lot of things also felt 'off' and kinda depressing (not in a pleasant way). Things definitely got a bit better towards the end, so hopefully they learned from the mistakes and do something fun with it again. But I suspect that, in the end, they would have been better off just leaving it alone. Too much time has passed.

I'd love to be proven wrong though.

tomtom94

Arrested Development won't get any better than series 4 (which was good, but not great) unless its cast get a whole lot less busy.

MercuryLS

Banned
In for House of Cards, Orange is the New Black and Marco Polo. HoC is the only one I'm really excited for even though season 2 was a bit of a disappointment.

JdFoX187

Banned
Haven't had a chance to watch Marco Polo yet, but planned to do so after I'm done with Peaky Blinders. Really glad it got a second season, as everything I've seen in previews looks quite good and entertaining.

ivysaur12

Banned
AD will definitely happen, but I could see them only doing something like 6 episodes to try to sync their schedules up.

At the moment, I think Tony Hale and Jeffrey Tambor are the only series regular on something else? But Veep and Transparent are smaller orders, so I could see it being easier than last time when Will Arnett was on The Millers, Portia was involved in a million pilots, and Jessica Walter was on Jennifer Falls.

Forgot about Sense8.

Bloodline sounds interesting and I'm always down for anything Kyle Chandler is in.

If the script is anything to go by, don't get too excited for Sense8 :-\

StoopKid

Pumped for house of cards and orange is the new black.

Marvel tv is sorta meh to me , so im iffy on daredevil.

kewlmyc

Weren't we supposed to be getting an Arrested Development movie? I thought the 4th season was supposed to be tying into the movie?

moojito

Neeeeeetflix.

One day, we won't have to bother with this vpn nonsense and just watch all of the things.

You know in the UK, Star trek tng only has seasons 4-7? That's some crazy nonsense right there.

Sadly I think there'll be a period where it gets even worse as the big studios semi wake up and all try to offer their own stuff on their own services.

maxcriden

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (March 6): Ellie Kemper stars as a woman who leaves a cult after 15 years to start a new life in New York. Tina Fey and Robert Carlock (30 Rock) produce this comedy, originally set for NBC.

Bloodline (March 20): Sam Shepard and Sissy Spacek head a Florida Keys innkeeper family that unravels when a black-sheep son returns after a long-buried tragedy. Kyle Chandler and Linda Cardellini co-star.

Psyched for these. High hopes from the Damages crew for Bloodline. I hope it's great.

If they can get the whole cast to film at the same time for AD and not like in season 4, I´ll be hyped.

Still would watch season 5 if it where like 4, but meh.

Edit: Also new Tina Fey produced show? Sign me up.

Yen

Bateman said there were no immediate plans for more AD on the Graham Norton Show about 2 months ago.

yayaba

Damn that's a lot of new shows at once.

I feel like Netflix would do better staggering releases and really focusing on one or two new IP per year and make them really, really good.

You have the returning cast from the previous year along with one great new show means you can string together a healthy portfolio after a couple of years.

Then again, AMC fell victim to the "throw whatever on the wall and see what sticks" syndrome as well.

Zebra

I would be pumped for a new season of AD, I just hope they can get everyone's schedules lined up and I hope they keep episodes down to a tight 22 minutes. Some of the episodes in S4 really could have benefited from tighter editing.

Korey

How is Marco Polo? Is it on par with Game of Thrones or House of Cards?

Is there suspense, intrigue, etc.

What they should do with Arrested Development is get everybody together every year for a week or so and make 2 episodes per year and air them at the end of the year, around New Years Eve.

ivysaur12

Banned
Weird to be more excited about Netflix's lineup than any network's lineup. Strange times.

Bloodline could be really good. Same with Kimmy Schmidt. I'm sort of meh on everything else, but there could also be a BoJack Horseman-esque surprise somewhere in there.

I'm excite to see what happens over the next few years now that people who pitch know that Netflix is Netflix and will take bigger shows there that they would've taken to FX/Showtime/HBO first in the past.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Damn that's a lot of new shows at once.

I feel like Netflix would do better staggering releases and really focusing on one or two new IP per year and make them really, really good.

You have the returning cast from the previous year along with one great new show means you can string together a healthy portfolio after a couple of years.

Then again, AMC fell victim to the "throw whatever on the wall and see what sticks" syndrome as well.
Not happening. Netflix wants an original show going up every two weeks. They won't all appeal to similar demos but that's their goal.

boingball

Yay for Marco Polo, happy that Netflix didn't cancel this.

Looking forward to The Fall and House of Cards
(though I wonder where Kevin wants to go now, does he want topple God?)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
How is Marco Polo? Is it on par with Game of Thrones or House of Cards?

Is there suspense, intrigue, etc.

Most people agree the story could be better. But this is one of the most beautifully shot shows. The production value is insane too. Well worth checking it out. If by episode 3 it doesn't grab you, bail.

Edit- It is a diamond in the rough and I'm excited to see what they do with another season on their belt.

Ledbetter

Bloodline (March 20): Sam Shepard and Sissy Spacek head a Florida Keys innkeeper family that unravels when a black-sheep son returns after a long-buried tragedy.

You know, that doesn't sound so interesting to be honest...

Kyle Chandler and Linda Cardellini co-star.

Will watch it.

Also, excited for House of Cards season 3 and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

jett

D-Member
MP S2 confirmation is nice! S1 wasn't the greatest thing ever, but it was good fun and could be great if they apply themselves.

I'm in for House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, BoJack, DareDevil, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and whatever new Arrested Development they decide to send our way. Looks like a pretty good line up.

Just let AD die, season 4 was terrible.

If AD gets the logistics lined up the next season will be brilliant.

Season 4 of AD had two huge disadvantages:

1) Dealing with the cast's super busy schedules
2) Dealing with an unavoidable exposition overload as a result of the show's prolonged hiatus

Number 2 is no longer an issue, and Number 1 can probably be worked out more easily now than it could have been a couple of years ago.

Season 4, given the challenges it faced, was solid. It was the weakest season by a considerable margin, to be sure, but considering the obstacles it had to overcome, I think it was pretty damn great.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'd gladly take a shorter AD season if it means the full cast being available. Hurwitz did an admirable job trying to write around the actor's schedules but that was only going to work for the first season post-hiatus. Now we need the family to get back together.

ivysaur12

Banned
If AD gets the logistics lined up the next season will be brilliant.

Season 4 of AD had two huge disadvantages:

1) Dealing with the cast's super busy schedules
2) Dealing with an unavoidable exposition overload as a result of the show's prolonged hiatus

Number 2 is no longer an issue, and Number 1 can probably be worked out more easily now than it could have been a couple of years ago.

Season 4, given the challenges it faced, was solid. It was the weakest season by a considerable margin, to be sure, but considering the obstacles it had to overcome, I think it was pretty damn great.

Considering what they were up against, season 4 was a miracle. I would imagine that a season 5 would be tighter because of a clear direction, Netflix is more of a player, and that it would be easier to sync up their schedules. I actually think Veep and Transparent might even overlap in production? so it would just be a matter of doing something over their hiatus. It just feels like it would be easier because of how much the landscape has changed.

I don't know how anyone could not be excited for Season 5 of AD when it's going to feature Tea Party Lindsay.

COME ON! It's going to be glorious.

I would love more Arrested Development... If they are actually able to get the whole cast together to do a proper season this time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom