• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Originals premiere dates (Marco Polo S2, Arrested Development might return)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKehoe

Good to hear that Marco Polo is returning. I finished season 1 yesterday and really enjoyed it. Nice to see Netflix lining up a steady stream of original content too.

Exis

Netflix has been the best money I spend every month and has been that way for years way before they started doing their own stuff, they have a number of prestige shows and BoJack Horseman is utterly brilliant. They also have the CW catalog that I have been going through after finding myself watching 4 shows of theirs this year- Nikita and Vampire Diaries are great and I never would have watched them otherwise.

Hell, I even loved watching Gilmore Girls.

The bloodline description sounds like those pilot episodes from Amazon

Person comes back from such and such finds out a dark secret

DOWN

Banned
I'm pissed there's still no way to find all the Netflix originals on Netflix. You have to use Wikipedia to find out the stuff Netflix is producing lately or stuff you missed.

I tweeted Netflix about it and they sent me a page saying it had the originals, but it was missing almost half of them, including some new shows. I pointed this out and they told me I can just search 'Originals' and they'll come up, but again, many are missing with that method. Even worse, it brings up tons of results that have nothing to do with Netflix's own premium productions.

Permanently A

no more arrested development please

unless you can do a proper season where all the characters are interacting each episode, just stop

pa22word

I'm pissed there's still no way to find all the Netflix originals on Netflix. You have to use Wikipedia to find out the stuff Netflix is producing lately or stuff you missed.

I tweeted Netflix about it and they sent me a page saying it had the originals, but it was missing almost half of them, including some new shows. I pointed this out and they told me I can just search 'Originals' and they'll come up, but again, many are missing with that method. Even worse, it brings up tons of results that have nothing to do with Netflix's own premium productions.

Something tells me this is probably intentional to avoid pissing off 3rd parties. I know they've been publicly bitching about Netflix having their logos on the title card of their og stuff for some time now, and I can easily see a lot of them being very uncomfortable with Netflix heavily promoting their og stuff over licensed content.

It's going to be interesting to see how 3rd parties start reacting to Netflix's new heavy lineup of they really start to break through and companies start seeing them as a competitor rather than another revenue avenue in the years to come.

kyser73

More Marco Polo = more Hundred Eyes bad-assery. I'm down for that.

Ad I'm with the consensus of 'If they can make it full ensemble again'.

HoC was stronger in the second season IMO.

BoJack was a really good surprise, and definitely got a lot better as it went on.

I basically love Netflix original programming.

Sobriquet

Marvel's Daredevil (April 10): Matt Murdock (Charlie Cox) is a lawyer-turned-superhero daredevil by night in modern-day New York. Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Luke Cage and a combined Defenders series will appear at roughly one-year intervals.

Nooooo. Too long.

DOWN

Banned
Something tells me this is probably intentional to avoid pissing off 3rd parties. I know they've been publicly bitching about Netflix having their logos on the title card of their og stuff for some time now, and I can easily see a lot of them being very uncomfortable with Netflix heavily promoting their og stuff over licensed content.

It's going to be interesting to see how 3rd parties start reacting to Netflix's new heavy lineup of they really start to break through and companies start seeing them as a competitor rather than another revenue avenue in the years to come.
HBO gets to show off their own productions. Netflix is allowed to email and banner their site with promos. They definitely can have an Originals page. The Twitter people said it's possible, but I'll definitely ask again soon.

Ein Bear

Season 4 of Arrested Development definitely started off a bit shaky, but after the first few episodes became hilarious.

It wasn't as good as 1-3, but it still turned out great. Definitely preferable to no AD whatsoever.

HANDCUFF THE KING OF THE JEWS.

Wow, wasn't expecting HoC so soon. Along with Daredevil, my sub's finally starting to look appealing.

giphy.gif

Mononoke

Banned
AD is not immune from things feeling different over time. The writers are no longer the same people they were when they made the original series. They've grown and changed with time. The actors are not the same people.

As much as I love Futurama and was glad that it came back. And hell, it even had some really excellent episodes that IMO lived up to the originals. Overall, it never felt the "same". It's very rare for any show or film, to come back years later and then re-capture a certain tone/style/feel to a show. It's why, I've always found series that go on past 6 seasons to be problematic.

Neoxon

I should probably catch up on Marco Polo. I've heard good things about it, but I've never gotten around to watching it.

And yeah, I'm watching Daredevil the minute it's live.

DOWN

Banned
Surprised people are surprised by House of Cards. It's been every February, like a normal show gap.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Hemlock grove is the only one I'm excited about. House of cards lost me a little bit at the end of season 2. Hopefully it's good.

PrawnyNZ

Weren't they doing a recut version of AD S4 so the story was sequential rather than the way it was shown? Would be interesting to see how that plays.
Have we heard more about this, was I imagining it, or was it just a fan project.

On topic, looking forward to new Orange and Marco Polo. Still need to start House of Cards, thinking I might watch that before S3.

DOWN

Banned
Weren't they doing a recut version of AD S4 so the story was sequential rather than the way it was shown? Would be interesting to see how that plays.
Have we heard more about this, was I imagining it, or was it just a fan project.

On topic, looking forward to new Orange and Marco Polo. Still need to start House of Cards, thinking I might watch that before S3.
Yeah, a couple of months ago it was mentioned that a recur of season 4 was under way, but no details since then and no word on if it was for Netflix, home release, or otherwise.

DieH@rd

Banned
Marvel's Daredevil (April 10): Matt Murdock (Charlie Cox) is a lawyer-turned-superhero daredevil by night in modern-day New York. Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Luke Cage and a combined Defenders series will appear at roughly one-year intervals.

What, no Jessica Jones this year? :( I thought they will create 2 miniseries per year.

Most people agree the story could be better. But this is one of the most beautifully shot shows. The production value is insane too. Well worth checking it out. If by episode 3 it doesn't grab you, bail.

Edit- It is a diamond in the rough and I'm excited to see what they do with another season on their belt.

That's an excellent way of describing it. The show itself is really gorgeous. They just need to get a better story for season 2 and it'll be fantastic.

Netflix's site organization has always been clunky and bizarre. It's far too focused on recommending you things and it makes it needlessly difficult to find new stuff. Instantwatcher is pretty much a necessity at this point. I agree that a section/grouping of their Originals (including the foreign shows they've obtained the distribution rights to like Peaky Blinders and Happy Valley) would be much appreciated.

Karu

Bloodlines is certainly THE ONE to watch. If they can reach Damages S1-quality of writing, this will be a Top 10 contendor. Easily.

Netflix's site organization has always been clunky and bizarre. It's far too focused on recommending you things and it makes it needlessly difficult to find new stuff. Instantwatcher is pretty much a necessity at this point. I agree that a section/grouping of their Originals (including the foreign shows they've obtained the distribution rights to like Peaky Blinders and Happy Valley) would be much appreciated.
I have just never understood why they don’t have an A-Z on their apps, its cool and all that they suggest stuff for you but sometimes you wanna just see everything they have on there but there is just no way to do it.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
S2 of HoC and Orange were a bit rough. Hope they can both turn it around after a Sophmore Slump.

Also, more Bojack, plz, and a shorter, tighter Arrested S5 plz.

If AD gets the logistics lined up the next season will be brilliant.

Season 4 of AD had two huge disadvantages:

1) Dealing with the cast's super busy schedules
2) Dealing with an unavoidable exposition overload as a result of the show's prolonged hiatus

Number 2 is no longer an issue, and Number 1 can probably be worked out more easily now than it could have been a couple of years ago.

Season 4, given the challenges it faced, was solid. It was the weakest season by a considerable margin, to be sure, but considering the obstacles it had to overcome, I think it was pretty damn great.

I agree, except I think Season 4 is great. It gets better on each rewatch, and I liked it from the start. I say this getting near the end of my complete AD rewatch. There are a lot of brilliant moments in Season 4 (some of the best of the show). Like you said, Hurwitz had to deal with 2 major disadvantages and he was so incredibly creative about it. I feel so strongly about the structure of Season 4 that I'm somewhat leery of the chronological cut that Hurwitz is apparently working on.

And I remember hearing, the next AD would be a movie (or feature length) and then another series. But only Hurwitz and Netflix know for sure.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
What, no Jessica Jones this year? :( I thought they will create 2 miniseries per year.
Yeah, lame :(
It also means that The Defenders would happen just before Infinity War P2, which is somewhat weird.

KorrZ

Nice, really happy to see Marco Polo get a second season. It was a beautiful show if not always a well written one, but I think they have enough talent via the actors involved to really make something special if they can find their groove.

Axiom

I saw the first season of AD, liked it - but never saw the other seasons until last year. With no real break between 3 and 4, I really liked 4.

I never found anything in 4 nearly as weak as the Mr. F storyline, and the way it came together, played with your expectations and tricked you was pretty excellent.

I should probably get onto watching Orange and House of Cards

Haven't had a chance to watch Marco Polo yet, but planned to do so after I'm done with Peaky Blinders. Really glad it got a second season, as everything I've seen in previews looks quite good and entertaining.

I really liked Marco Polo. I didn't have high hopes, but it's actually pretty tight, seems to have a nice budget and the fighting scenes are pretty good. Pleasantly surprised all around.

Now I'm really looking forward to the second season. I guess it helps I'm not that familiar with Polo's history, so it feels fresh to me (and I'm sure they take considerable historical licenses).

Netprints

Nice, really happy to see Marco Polo get a second season. It was a beautiful show if not always a well written one, but I think they have enough talent via the actors involved to really make something special if they can find their groove.

Same here, I am happy there will be a season 2

OnPoint

Seasons 1-3 of AD are my all-time favorite show ever.

Season 4 was not for me.

I would begrudgingly watch a hypothetical Season 5.

But I have a feeling that this would be me while watching:

ive-made-a-huge-mistake.gif

Tobinishi

Extremely looking forward to Orange is the new Black Season 3. Season 2 was weaker in my opinion but still couldn't stop watching. Hope it will come to mainland-Europe not to long after the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom