• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Alan Wake info "soon"

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
F#A#Oo said:
I thought it was always an FPS?

Alan_Wake_31.jpg

strange_booj said:
Anyone give a description? and this thread title made me happy and then the bumper made me sad.

Main guy is walking around a snowy area, has a torch, and a gun in his right hand.
you can see the sea, and there's a boat
sounds windy
walks into a little cabin and goes towards a shotgun near a window

glaurung

Luckyman said:
Alan Wake just got Bioshocked

That's actually exactly right, the stiff camera movement and poor flashlight diffusion reminded me a lot of Bioshock.

It's just that in Bioshock the space was closed in and that worked better.

FFChris

What!

No no, this was supposed to be a third person action adventure. Not first person. I refuse to believe this... =(

Edit: The graphics are pretty fantastic though. Still. NO. BAD REMEDY.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
BeeDog said:
If it's indeed real, I would've hoped the game would be played from a 3rd person perspective. :/

Looks okay I guess, seems a bit "rigid", can't explain. The environments also seem decent enough, good snow effects.

I agree about the rigid part, exactly my thought when watching. His hand was way to steady, looked unnatural.

Timber

Luckyman said:
Alan Wake just got Bioshocked
it just got DOOMed lol

if this is real then these are my impressions:
- first person is good
- flashlight looks horrible, wtf
- movement and (i think) animation look stiff

if it's not real:
- damn it all to hell

i hope the gameworld is still big and open(ish) so it's like a first person exploration game, that would get me rock hard.

or maybe you can change perspectives a la the suffering?
maybe it's fake. looks pretty alan wakish tho. especially the lake.

Danielsan

Looks real but I agree, for some reason the animation (or lack thereof) in first person looks stiff/wrong. Give me third person Alan Wake remedy, or at least give me both options (would be cool for multiple play throughs) The environment looks great though, snowy forest. :)

El-Suave

Doors like the one on the cabin shouldn't open like this in 2009 anymore. Apart from being sceptical about the FPS thing, it looked good though (as much as the footage allows conclusions).

RBH

BeeDog said:
If it's indeed real, I would've hoped the game would be played from a 3rd person perspective. :/

Looks okay I guess, seems a bit "rigid", can't explain. The environments also seem decent enough, good snow effects.

FFChris said:
What!

No no, this was supposed to be a third person action adventure. Not first person. I refuse to believe this... =(

Edit: The graphics are pretty fantastic though. Still. NO. BAD REMEDY.
Did you guys read the video description?

To be shown in a demo at GDC 2009. This is a small clip from actual gameplay of Alan Wake. More to come later this week. The is running on a Xbox 360 test kit. (This is 1st person view) I will be posting 3rd person stuff soon.

It appears that you can change perspectives.

Edit: Beaten.

BeeDog

RBH said:
Real mature.

Well then sorry for the harsh word, but at least make sure you're correct before stomping on someone's balls. ;p

And I'm glad 3rd person is still in, but should've been obvious with the bad-ish animations from the 1st person perspective; if a game is primarily played from a 3rd person perspective, more often than not the animations for an optional 1st person view always suck.

Im sure they didnt like how the game was turning out in 3rd person, and decided to go first person, and thats why we havnt seen the game in years. Maybe the character didnt animate well (bad animations or somthing).

Nevermind the guy that posted the video said he will be posting vids of the 3rd person view

Top Bottom