• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Batman: Arkham Asylum Screens (End of Summer delay confirmed)

Linkzg said:

GameSpotVideo-Batman-ArkhamAsylumOf.png

No kidding.

Calcaneus said:
The voice acting does a LOT towards making more interested in this game. Good move.

The mouths don't really match up with the words. That's one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to gaming graphics. We're in an age now where that really shouldn't be a problem anymore.

But yes, I most certainly did get an erection from that video nonetheless.

lostxii

I was interested in this game since the Game Informer cover story, but after the recent coverage, screenshots etc it's looking amazing. Only thing I'm worried about is the combat. In the trailer, it looks too much like a brawler.

way more

Ether_Snake said:
So the whole game is basically set in the Asylum? Ugh...

You must not know how cool Arkham Asylum is. They could set an entire film series there. Some of the best Batman comics are set strictly in Arkham. In fact, if the next Batman film doesn't feature a new, badass and Gothic Arkham I'll be disappointed.

Aselith

SundaySounds said:
wait wait wait wait.
Luke Skywalker plays the voice of the joker????
Interesting.....

Go watch clips from Batman, the cartoon version, on youtube. He's fantastic at it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The new trailer looks fantastic. Just make Batman's eyes glow white and I'll be able to live my Saturday mornings as a kid.

Lebron

mac said:
You must not know how cool Arkham Asylum is. They could set an entire film series there. Some of the best Batman comics are set strictly in Arkham.
Seriously, A Serious House on Serious Earth is awesome. I wish this game had that distinct style that the GN had. Oh well.

DrBo42

Ugh. I just want to see a developer walkthrough of a level to get a feel for how the gameplay will be. The rest of the game is looking awesome, I don't want to get my hopes up but I'm slowly boarding the hype train. I don't want to be on it if it's going to derail. :lol

DrBo42

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/949/949536p1.html
Write-up at IGN as well. This is actually the first one that has had any interesting bits.

One of the pillars Rocksteady's building this game on is FreeFlow combat. As the bad guys come at Bats, he'll be able to engage up to 15 of them without breaking too much of a sweat. The face buttons are strikes, grapples, and counters, and these simple inputs will be your lifeline to throwing dudes across the room and incapacitating foes. When you knock a standing guy out or pull off a floor takedown (a kick to the head of a downed foe), you'll get a health boost and some XP. Yes, even Batman has experience points these days, and you'll be collecting them so that you can unlock moves such as the Hang Attack (I'll get back to this in a bit) and power-ups such as an armor upgrade. Your Progress to the next level-up opportunity is tracked in a circular meter in the top right corner. When you take out a baddie or earn XP some other way, you'll see some bats on screen and then the meter will fill. Above the XP tracker is Batman's health. Rather than give you a life bar that you need to constantly monitor, the health part of the HUD only pops up in combat situations and only applies to that specific fight. That is, if you beat a room filled with bad guys with just a sliver of health left, the next time you fight someone, you'll get a brand new bar -- there's nothing to pick up and you don't need to recharge the meter or anything.

If you've seen the Arkham Asylum trailer IGN's been hosting for a while, you can probably recall the scene where Batman comes upon a decontamination chamber and finds a number of guards getting gassed. Using his grappling hook and some air ducts in the game, Mr. Wayne maneuvers his way around the gas and to a high level that's safe from the green death below. Now, there are a number of guards hanging on to ledges that leave them half in the gas and part of the way to safety. As Batman, you have the choice to either lift these guys up or blow past them. Lift them up and get XP, ignore them and they'll just hang on forever. There's even one of the Joker's thugs begging for help -- pick him up and you'll immediately knock him out when he's safe.

Another familiar voice popped up in my demo, and it was none other that Harley Quinn. Yes, Arleen Sorkin is back to reprise her vocal role from Batman the Animated Series as well - "Mistah J!" CONFIRMED

In a lot of ways, I hate eyes-on reports because if the game's good, all I really want to do is snatch the controller and play for a few hours/days. Batman: Arkham Asylum is definitely one of those games. Aside from all the gameplay stuff I've written about here, there seems to be a few more bells and whistles left to mention. Seeing as how this is supposed to be the longest night in Batman's life, look for the hero to be sporting more and more stubble as the events wear on. As the events of the night unfold, expect Batman's costume to become damaged and stay damaged -- when holes pop up in his cape, you'll need to account for it when you glide.

Aaron

DrBo42 said:
Fixed for my personal annoyance. I don't think previews need to be overwhelmingly positive, but that was heavy handed for apparently no reason at all. It's also very strange to claim to not know who these villains are and have links to their wikipedia entries... seriously, how do you not know who Killer Croc is? That's like saying you can't possibly guess what motif a villain by the name of 'the Riddler' would use. Maybe he assumed Croc was a guy who stomped people to death with ugly shoes.

DrBo42

Juicy bits from the Kotaku preview http://kotaku.com/5143358/twenty-minutes-with-batman-arkham-asylum:

Right now, the game is still in pre-alpha, so they haven’t hit their goal number of guys on screen for combat. I only saw up to five guys in a fight at once; but the demo guy said they had gotten the count up to 15. By launch, Rocksteady hopes to bump that to 20 so the Combat portion of the game will be even crazier.

During combat phases, a combo-counter appears in the upper left hand corner of the screen along with a health bar. The higher the combo number, the more XP Batman earns for the encounter. When you level up, you can upgrade weapons or fighting moves and the health bar regenerates automatically when the fight is over (unless you die, in which case – game over).

They keyword here is “context.” Almost all of Batman’s moves are context sensitive. For example, you approach a grating over a vent and a prompt pops up, telling you to press A repeated to break the grate faster. You could do that, or you could hold down Right Trigger and then press A once to slowly and stealthily remove the grate and slide it to one side. This is the basis for the Stealth-hunter mode where Batman has to take out multiple minions without being spotted. So instead of running in a mashing A, you creep in and hold Right Trigger while pressing A to turn a headlock into a stealth-choke or a punch into a smothering move.

I hope my updates aren't annoying anyone, just trying to gather all known info. :lol

Also, allegedly there's a Rocksteady podcast coming in 2 weeks.

Lebron

DrBo42 said:
Arleen Sorkin is back to reprise her vocal role from Batman the Animated Series as well - "Mistah J!" CONFIRMED
Oh come on now, it's like a TAS reunion! Are they going to announce Richard Moll next? :p

So far everything I've read has me excited, which in fact has me worried.:lol

Ashour

The graphics are really good but the modeling of Batman is really ugly then again they still have sometime to polish it up.

DrBo42

I know some of you guys were excited about this title, but our worst fears have been realized. At 4:26 AM PST, Rocksteady's doors were closed after GAF's posture expert "The Bookerman" noticed a fatal flaw in Batman's idle animation. My thoughts are with Rocksteady's staff as they go through this hard time, and I hope they all land jobs soon.

AniHawk

It's jarring to hear TAS voices coming out of such ugly, ugly characters.

Cel-shaded TAS game next time, thanks.

zoukka

Those screens bring me Killing Joke vibes. Which is nice!

I hope this game would end up in the Riddick department. A simple, short, entertaining and good looking little game to pick up from the discounts.

DrBo42

zoukka said:
Those screens bring me Killing Joke vibes. Which is nice!

I hope this game would end up in the Riddick department. A simple, short, entertaining and good looking little game to pick up from the discounts.
I really hope it's not too short. Too many games are following that trend these days.

zoukka

DrBo42 said:
I really hope it's not too short. Too many games are following that trend these days.

I find it just the opposite. Mirrors Edge was perfect and Bioshock/Dead Space were WAY too long. I understand that people want their moneys worth, but only so few games manage to entertain beyond 6-7 hours.

Lettuce

DrBo42 said:

Agreed Batman looks too beefy!!!, Is he this big in the comic books?? Please let the combat be good, if its anything like the combat in the first Buffy game on the xbox ill be happy! Also please add a directors mode, like Halo 3, so we can watch back all these scraps at any angle!, not enough games incorporate this fine fine feature

I don't know about this game.

I'm a huge Batman fan, but in a way I'm not sure if brawling in and exploring only one (large) location is fun. I mean, as I understand, the game takes place in Arkham Asylum, only in Arkham Asylum. With this graphics engine, they can have a few Gotham City levels right? With pumped up steroids citizens!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
AniHawk said:
It's jarring to hear TAS voices coming out of such ugly, ugly characters.

Cel-shaded TAS game next time, thanks.

Agreed. Watching this trailer gave me a really bad vibe, not feeling this game at all.

First off, I think some people are nit picking WAY too much.

Second off, after playing MGS 4, I think that style of gameplay is PERFECT for Batman. Especially when it's going to be him against 20 people. Remember, he was trained to be stealthy and what not so that only makes sense for him to try and sneak around and what not.

Thirdly, the voice acting is great and this game looks decent. Hopefully it turns out well.

Flavius

Ether_Snake said:
So the whole game is basically set in the Asylum? Ugh...

It's a legitimate concern, but as others have said, the devs have already mentioned/hinted at different environments.

Your reply reminded me, however, of a comic that is set entirely in Arkham Asylum, titled (not so surprisingly): Arkham Asylum, by Grant Morrison & Dave McKean.

If you haven't read it yet and are even slightly interested, I suggest you run to your local comics shop (or Amazon) and pick it up. When I first heard about this game, I thought some brilliant bastard had decided to greenlight a game based on the comic. That would have been awesome, yet incredibly disturbing.

EDIT: Currently $12.23 on Amazon.

The style is kind of offputting... even Gordon is a hulking beast. I really want to play a game with The Dark Knight's pristine look. Still, this looks really interesting and the voice acting is yay.

Top Bottom