• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Blizzard teaser Day #6 - THE DAY IS HERE! PREPARE THYSELVES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL at people suggesting Diablo III on consoles. Do you know about hotkeys? How the fuck else am I supposed to use my potions quickly so I won't die?

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Greatness Gone said:
LOL at people suggesting Diablo III on consoles. Do you know about hotkeys? How the fuck else am I supposed to use my potions quickly so I won't die?
Can't hot key those to any of the 4 face buttons?

Xater

Greatness Gone said:

Shoulder buttons? Worked fine for Diablo on the PS1.

Dina

Greatness Gone said:

dpad
combination of hotkeys
shoulderbuttons

Askani

Greatness Gone said:

Just like I thought how insane it would be to play FF:XI with only a controller and then watched my friend who does it almost exclusively and successfully.

I'm sure Diablo III is Project Hydra but the fact that it has been in development for so long doesn't mean squat about it being as far along as we would like to think it is. We already know multiple versions of Diablo III were in development for quite awhile and were all quietly axed. Hey maybe that's why they call it Hydra. :p

Minsc said:
Put the expansions in and it packs a little more.

'08 - Wrath
'09 - Starcraft II
'10 - Diablo 3 + Starcraft II Expansion
'11 - Diablo 3 Expansion
'12 - WoW 2?

or maybe

'08 - Wrath + Starcraft II
'09 - Diablo 3 + Starcraft II Expansion
'10 - Diablo 3 Expansion
'11 - WoW 2?

Don't I wish! Keep in mind guys, when Blizzard said they wanted the "public" part of their development cycle to be shorter, that's in contrast to what was something like a 5-7 year wait for Diablo II from its initial announcement to its release. I was there and it was agonizing. Just agonizing. 2.5 years for Diablo III would be nothing in comparison.

2010 sounds like a good initial projection for release but they'll bump it back. As long as this every-other-year expansion thing keeps up for WoW it makes sense to have their big blockbusters in the off years. I mean we saw zippo from Blizzard in 2006. Now that their release cycle seems to be ramping up a bit I bet that's what we'll see.

Also keep in mind they want a 10 year cycle for WoW1 (at least) so WoW2 isn't going to happen anytime soon. Graphical upgrades, sure, we already know they are looking at that, but its successor is a ways off.

Honestly I'm hoping that once they've revealed Diablo III and they have all their major ips out there for us to drool over they'll finally be comfortable revealing a new ip. Wishful thinking though but there's a lot of that going around this thread so whatever. ;)

Twig

Banned
Cirekiller said:
Also looking forawrd to seeing a revamped B.NET. Make friend lists and game invites simpler.
I'd love to see Blizzard to unite all their games into a singular Battle.net service, so I can log into it and jump into any game I own.

Wonder if that's possible. Probably not. ):

Teknoman

TheOneGuy said:
I'd love to see Blizzard to unite all their games into a singular Battle.net service, so I can log into it and jump into any game I own.

Wonder if that's possible. Probably not. ):

Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a talented user interface designer experienced with both web and client-based application UI design to help us plan and realize future online projects. The UI designer's primary role will be to visualize application process flows and create UI mockups.Take a look at the job posting

Indication?

Also was there really a point between US East and US West being seperate?

:lol Im central and still have no idea which one would be best.

Twig

Banned
Teknoman said:
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a talented user interface designer experienced with both web and client-based application UI design to help us plan and realize future online projects. The UI designer's primary role will be to visualize application process flows and create UI mockups.Take a look at the job posting

Indication?
Hm. Hard to tell. That could really mean anything. d:

User2k

Teknoman said:

Indication?

Ping reasons. It was also for people in countries like Australia which are a little too far from Europe.

McHuj

Teknoman said:

Indication?

I would love web based remakes of WC2, SC, Diablo1 and 2. It would be a lot of fun at work.

phez

Banned
Teknoman said:

Indication?

...whichever is fastest for you? :|

User2k

McHuj said:
I would love web based remakes of WC2, SC, Diablo1 and 2. It would be a lot of fun at work.

God no. I'd much rather they invest that time into sequels. I'll take a new game over a few minutes of nostalgia any day.

Xabora

Blizzard Battle Arena!
Includes characters from:
Warcraft
Starcraft
Diablo
Blackthrone
The Lost Vikings
Rock n' Roll Racing
RPM Racing

Guest Starring from Mageslayer by RavenSoft (A Subgroup from Activision Blizzard)
The Warlock
The Arch-Demon
The Inquisitor
The EarthLord

Xeke

Banned
Lathentar said:
Can't hot key those to any of the 4 face buttons?

You'd need 4 separate hot keys for 4 separate belt slots, hotkey for secondary weapon change, hotkey for run, hotkey for town portal, ALT hotkey to view all dropped items, shift hotkey for holding ground and on my Paladin that I'm playing through now...

Hotkeys for...

Holy Shock
Lightning Resist
Conviction
Redemption
Teleport (Enigma Armor :) )
Holy Freeze
Defiance

and at least a few more...

It would be so sluggish, not to mention how hard picking up all the drops would be after a 30 person battle.:lol

Mindlog

Greatness Gone said:

!

chatpad.jpg

but PC for me anyways

by the time D3 comes out I will have a new bitchin' fast™ rig

Xeke

Banned
Mindlog said:
!

chatpad.jpg

but PC for me anyways

by the time D2 comes out I will have a new bitchin' fast™ rig

Even less likely than Blizzard making D3 on consoles is them making it with a controller addon in mind.

Danj

Mindlog said:
Or MS not being stupid and actually allowing devs to use it ;]

I think if Microsoft want MMOs on their platform they're going to have to start thinking about allowing it...

Proelite

I remember last year there was a whole shit storm (positive) when Starcraft 2 was announced. I hope it's no different this year.

duckroll

Proelite said:
I remember last year there was a whole shit storm (positive) when Starcraft 2 was announced. I hope it's no different this year.

The lead up is pretty similar so far:

"There's no way it's <insert sequel to Blizzard franchise>."
"It's probably just some WoW crap."
"It's World of <insert Blizzard franchise>!"
"This is going to be disappointing!"
etc

I'm certain the final delivery will be just as epic.

firex

only GAF is retarded enough to think Blizzard will create a new entry in a longstanding PC franchise, and then make it console exclusive/multiplatform from the beginning.

Yaweee

firex said:
only GAF is retarded enough to think Blizzard will create a new entry in a longstanding PC franchise, and then make it console exclusive/multiplatform from the beginning.

No, I think Gamefaqs has us beat at % Delusional, at least by a tiny bit.

A little OT, but what the heck.

Is it already possible to register diablo2 keys at you blizzard account?

And if so, is it also possible to register keys that come with the cheap combo (d2+lod) package? I can't find my original discs anywhere and am considering dropping by the gamestore first thing tomorrow.

Talk about a hypefest ;).

Gribbix

InsertCredit said:
A little OT, but what the heck.

Is it already possible to register diablo2 keys at you blizzard account?

And if so, is it also possible to register keys that come with the cheap combo (d2+lod) package? I can't find my original discs anywhere and am considering dropping by the gamestore first thing tomorrow.

Talk about a hypefest ;).

You should be able to register them but they aren't available for download yet.

Torquill

Hotkeys and spells are easy (granted this is rough 5 second idea)

Hotkeys = L1 + Dpad buttons and face buttons
Spells = R1 + Dpad buttons and face buttons

That'll give you around 8 hotkeys and 8 spells on most controllers.

Keep in mind most of you are designing this around Diablo II, not Diablo III. We have no idea what other stuff would be invovled and whether we'll need more or less hotkeys than last time.

I'm pretty confidant they're talented enough to come up with a controller scheme for the game if they wanted too. I don't think the controller issue would be the one and only reason they wouldn't make a console version.

Proelite

Torquill said:

Keep in mind most of you are designing this around Diablo II, not Diablo III. We have no idea what other stuff would be invovled and whether we'll need more or less hotkeys than last time.

I'm pretty confidant they're talented enough to come up with a controller scheme for the game if they wanted too. I don't think the controller issue would be the one and only reason they wouldn't make a console version.

Hmmm, how about an abilities ring like the one in Mass Effect? You technically can have as many as 36 spells if every spell takes up 10 degree of the ring.

Minsc

Gold Member
Torquill said:

Yea, you can get a surprising number of hotkeys on a controller these days, but keeping in line with Diablo 2's needs, the controller fails at selecting extremely specific parts of the screen multiple times each second.

I wonder which classes they'd bring back and which skills too, I can't imagine they'd repeat too many of them, would take out a lot of the fun of trying out new builds.

Xeke

Banned
Minsc said:
Yea, you can get a surprising number of hotkeys on a controller these days, but keeping in line with Diablo 2's needs, the controller fails at selecting extremely specific parts of the screen multiple times each second.

That's the bigger issue. Being able to strategically and quickly click precise parts of the screen to cast spells for situations would be nigh impossible.

fronn

Why not put D3 on PS3/360 and just require Keyboard/mouse. They should do the same with a WoW console port too.

PS3, at least (not sure on 360), has native KB/Mouse support in the OS... Of course MS and Sony would probably shit a cow if any company tried to require that -- you'd think a dev with some clout (like blizzard) would be able to pull it off, if anyone could.

That's the only way I'd want it on a console (and I secretly hope it happens).

If they don't put it on consoles, then I'll have to buy a laptop... it would feel like such a waste to spend hundreds on a single game -- I hate playing games on my PC... such a sucky experience compared to sitting on my couch with my HT setup.

Diablo 3 is about the only game at this point that could make me buy a new computer to play it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Why didn't i know that the latest D2 patch was called "hell has frozen over".

Now im leaning towards a D3 announcement. Damn you blizzard and your teasing.

~Kinggi~

Banned
If Diablo 3 is announced for the pc, that along with starcraft 2 and spore will completely justify my new gaming pc i plan to buy soon. I so want it to be Diablo 3. So very badly.

scoobs

Wonder if the teaser is like a "hell has frozen over thing" and its bursting open to reveal Diablo 3 finally being announced :)

God i'm overly excited.

hobart

duckroll said:

etc

yes. i'm pretty certain blizzard has never disappointed me :)

Dorfdad said:
Not that I disagree with you or Chris but let me point yoy to Civilization on the PS3 and 360 they have NAILED the controls to make that game in the controls. Something we all said couldnt happen.

Now Diablo is different stroy do to the fast pace of the game but it can be done Hotkeys can be mapped like Metal gear scroll through them with L1 and R1 etc.. It might not fit your current vision of a Diablo Game but that does not mean it cant/wont happen..

Developers can figure things out and Blizzard is one of the best, and they have had plenty of time to craft a system for this exact reason.. I doubt the consoles will get this, but it would make sense to profit from that install base time have changed and money is king even for Blizzard...
A fair observation, but Civ is turn-based. I certainly can't do everything as fast as I can do it on a PC with a mouse, but it's okay, because I don't have to. They also stripped away a LOT of what the series had gained over the years to do it. That's fine with me, because it's a console-exclusive and they tailored it to the platform. I have no complaints at all, and the game is great.

But to make a multiplatform Diablo would have very different implications. The bottom line is, anything other than instant-press hotkeys in Diablo would drastically change the nature of the game. Scrolling through or priming skills, then using them, simply will not cut it, period.

In Diablo, I want to have all my shit available at the drop of a hat, able to fire off three spells and chug a potion without entering a single menu, while still retaining full movement control of my character. It would be possible to create a slower-paced game instead by sacrificing those facets of control, but that's REALLY not what I want out of Diablo, and I'd be very surprised if Blizzard went that route.

Blizzard is a very conservative developer when it comes to gameplay, and they also understand what components are at the core of the visceral impact of their games. Those two properties of the studio make it seem very unlikely to me that they would alter that kind of fundamental aspect of pacing.

I just don't see any other way to do it with a console controller. I realize Blizzard's designers are a lot more inventive than I am, but I just feel that if this kind of thing were possible, SOMEBODY would have done it by now. It isn't as if other games haven't had the same issue. At the end of the day, there are only so many buttons on a console controller, and they are arranged in a very specific way.

Simply put, it's a very different type of input device to a mouse and keyboard--not better nor worse, but extremely different. Some games are designed heavily around their input mechanisms, some not as much. Diablo, with its customize-every-single-key-on-the-keyboard, map-a-dozen-spells mentality, falls into the former category.

Years of working in the gaming press has left me largely cynical and impervious to hype, but holy fucking shit I am fucking dying right now. My inevitable disappointment is going to be epic.

duckroll said:

etc

Unfortunately, there's just no way a WoW-related announcement is going to excite me. :( It's a great game, but I'm 100% done with it. The first expansion wasn't enough to bring me back in, and I don't even really want a reason to go back in, so I'm praying with every ounce of strength I have for Diablo III.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom