• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Crackdown 3 information 4K 30fps on XBX ,Amazon lists "Destructible battle arena"

gamz

There were plenty of people getting high off hype because MS purposely talked about just Forza 6 in the DF specs reveal since it could actually manage 4K 60fps and people thought the system could handle anything at 4K 60fps.

I'm in the Xbox threads quite a bit and I've yet to read that.

I was only interested in Crackdown for single player and co op so the destruction being MP only was always a non starter for me.

I mean, the game has been delayed multiple years and switched developers. I assume Wrecking Zone is an effort to retain the marketable feature from the original reveal, but basically the premise of the game has shifted since then (probably because the tech didn't work)
Wait really?

They made the destruction exclusive to Wrecking Zone because it simply wasn't possible to have all of that going on with a console and hold even 30FPS.

IIRC, the reveal years ago didn't say anything about the destruction being multiplayer-only.

I haven't been following the game closely, though, so that's why I was pretty surprised to see none of it in the trailer.
yeah it did we learned maybe 1-2 years ago that cloud destruction would be multiplayer only. also this game has the same developers, 3 teams worked on this game. sumo does the single

TS-08

From a Dev

This isn't really a good explanation for why the tech wasn't shown, in my opinion. I get it that the Cloud stuff is going to be for multiplayer and that there's only so much to show during the conference, but this game was announced years ago. It's a major "exclusive" release for Windows. It comes out in less than 5 months, on the same day as the Xbox One X. If Spencer had confidence in the Cloud tech (or the game in general), it would have been shown by now. Honestly, this game doesn't really inspire confidence in general based on how it's been handled up to now.

jond76

Banned
If the game's still destructible I wonder why they showed none of it in the trailer. It was supposed to be the game's defining feature. Sucks that it seems to be stripped away from the main game.

From the start it was said that the crazy destructibility was for the multiplayer. In a interview with Geoff the dev said they wanted to show the campaign stuff this time. Multi is where the destructibility is. Always been that way.

Edit: already covered I see

Brashnir

There were plenty of people getting high off hype because MS purposely talked about just Forza 6 in the DF specs reveal since it could actually manage 4K 60fps and people thought the system could handle anything at 4K 60fps.

seems a pretty silly assumption given that previous Forza games were 1080/60, yet not everything on the xbone was.

Regardless of whether or not the full-scale destruction is only in multiplayer, that doesn't change the fact that what they showed was underwhelming. From an art style perspective, animations, and gameplay perspective...it just didn't seem interesting at all.

Gestault

Those people wouldn't be in tune with reality on any platform, including many higher-end PC builds. Not all rendering budgets allow for consistent 60 fps at 4K, even when you have a ton of CPU overhead. That's from a combination of engineering challenges/practicalities and high expectations for visuals when you're rendering at 4K.

MS "purposely" showed Forza among its line-up because it shows the system does handle 4K/60 in a high-end game. That's not misleading unless you're being senselessly obtuse about. It's the same way previous Forza titles on base XB1 are 1080/60, but not all other games are.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
IF the destruction looked amazing and was running at a solid performance, don't you guys think they would've shown it on stage? You know, as the main selling point of the game?
By now, things are becoming more clear regarding the current state of this game.

PrinceKee

Microsoft treating this game like it's going to be a discounted title in the $30-$40 range. This is one of their only exclusives coming this year and it had no prescense on stage. I'm a crackdown fan and I've been wanting more information, but I'm really skeptical now how good this game will be. Still no real gameplay videos or information about single player or multiplayer modes and it's l releasing later this year. Also wasn't there going to be a beta?

leeh

You mean dream.

Despite folks trying to explain technically why it wasnt going to be possible for every game.

Some games will do it, some wont.
No-one ever on this board thought 4k60 was going to be the case on everything.

Can we stop with this shit please.

Lingitiz

This entire game reeks of over ambition with a core gimmick of cloud-based destruction (ala Quantum Break and episodic TV tie-in), but now that that's failed they're scrapping together what they have so it's not a complete loss. It could still turn out good, but it doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Vire

IF the destruction looked amazing and was running at a solid performance, don't you guys think they would've shown it on stage? You know, as the main selling point of the game?
By now, things are becoming more clear regarding the current state of this game.
Yeah.. seems as if the development struggles and developer change for this game altered the scope and ambitions of the game.

Maybe the game is better than what they showed and I don't doubt Sumo Digital is working hard on salvaging this... but damn.

This entire game reeks of over ambition with a core gimmick of cloud-based destruction (ala Quantum Break and episodic TV tie-in), but now that that's failed they're scrapping together what they have so it's not a complete loss. It could still turn out good, but it doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Ding ding ding.

Senjutsusage was losing his mind right before the spec reveal saying stupid shit like "Scorpio will easily handle a game like Horizon: Zero Dawn at 4K 60fps".

lostcauz

Yeah.. seems as if the development struggles and developer change for this game altered the scope and ambitions of the game.

Maybe the game is better than what they showed and I don't doubt Sumo Digital is working hard on salvaging this... but damn.

what developer change?

Trup1aya

I mean, the game has been delayed multiple years and switched developers. I assume Wrecking Zone is an effort to retain the marketable feature from the original reveal, but basically the premise of the game has shifted since then (probably because the tech didn't work)

The game didn't switch devs. Sumo has always been on the campaign. Reagent and Cloudgine have always been on the MP.

Communication has been very poor, and this stage presentation only raised more questions, but I think we need to get accurate info in the discussion.

What 4k60 standard?

The more information that comes out about this game the more it becomes clear that the previous demo was highly scripted and controlled.

It wasn't there were many reports of different playthroughs, some even in video.

However, it was likely just a destructible city and when they went to make a game on top with it many problems arisen.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
It was meant to be according to some.

The 4k60 pipe dream has been doing the rounds for months on gaf, let's not pretend this console wasnt touted as an absolute monster.

You're imagining things. Or rewriting history to build your narrative.

TVexperto

There's really no sign of the power of the cloud in that footage.

I have to say there is also no sign of the "most powerful console" in that footage. I have been excited for C3 for so many years and then they show this mediocre gameplay trailer; I seriously thought that was a joke when I watched the conference last night

Floody

Arena, so no longer a fully destructible city map? Shame, but it's clearly not had a smooth development, so at least it's something. Hopefully the arenas are big.

Exodust

Banned
I'm going to guess this game indeed this game had the rocky development you would expect from how far back it was announced and key features just didn't work for whatever reason. So now it's coming out regardless because Microsoft can't afford another cancellation.

I loved the original Crackdown but how many years ago was that? This game has been so long in development and the trailer was very underwhelming. All in all I'd be surprised if the game is actually worth such a long wait and anticipation.

leeh

Senjutsusage was losing his mind right before the spec reveal saying stupid shit like "Scorpio will easily handle a game like Horizon: Zero Dawn at 4K 60fps".
1 person != Xbox GAF.

Also in his defense, thats when he will of been on the Zen/Vega hype train which if was true, he wouldn't of been wrong.

GlossyRichAsiaticmouflon.gif

Crisis averted. Its Crackdown.

4PT6v3PQKG6Yg.webp

Renna Hazel

Microsoft treating this game like it's going to be a discounted title in the $30-$40 range. This is one of their only exclusives coming this year and it had no prescense on stage. I'm a crackdown fan and I've been wanting more information, but I'm really skeptical now how good this game will be. Still no real gameplay videos or information about single player or multiplayer modes and it's l releasing later this year. Also wasn't there going to be a beta?

Hmm? The game was shown off in the same fashion as most of the other titles and I'm pretty sure they're going to be demoing it all week. I think their conference just moves at a faster pace this year, so most games didn't get long stage demos.

I'm curious to see the full gameplay reveal, I'm expecting it to be incredibly similar to the first game.

Im not holding my breath for the city wide destruction anymore. Until a Dev confirms that their original vision is mostly intact then its probably gone with the wind.

I honestly don't know about that. Some people have been going a bit crazy when it comes to what the Scorpio would be capable of.

Im not trying to dog any one fanbase, people did it with ps4 pro and switch just the same.

LQX

It looked so underwhelming in the show. Also, the graphics look really dated. Does not look up to par even Borderlands 2 cel-shading. I thought it would look so much better after all these years.

Leyasu

Banned
It looked so underwhelming in the show. Also, the graphics look really dated. Does not look up to par even Borderlands 2 cel-shading. I thought it would look so much better after all these years.

This did start out long before Scorpio though

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The game didn't switch devs. Sumo has always been on the campaign. Reagent and Cloudgine have always been on the MP.

Communication has been very poor, and this stage presentation only raised more questions, but I think we need to get accurate info in the discussion.

Well, first, Crackdown 3 was announced a year and a half before Sumo's involvement was announced... and second, interesting that the trailer did not include logos for two teams that you believe are the main developers. So I guess it's totally possible that this is just a totally bizarre miscommunication, but there seems to be a far simpler explanation consistent with everything we know.

Top Bottom