• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Crackdown 3 information 4K 30fps on XBX ,Amazon lists "Destructible battle arena"

If the game's still destructible I wonder why they showed none of it in the trailer. It was supposed to be the game's defining feature. Sucks that it seems to be stripped away from the main game.

It was always the multiplayer that had fully destructible environments. I don't know why people thought it was campaign. How would that even work? if you destroy every building in single player the city would be empty.

Seems like people just love to attack Microsoft and the power of cloud marketing bs. I do wonder if we will still see the beta they announced last year.

The amount of MS defense force members incorrectly stating that years ago they told us that building destruction was out for single player is irritating. That DID NOT happen. PERSISTENT destruction was out for single player. The buildings were going come back after you leave the area.

But now the change seems to be that there's really no destruction at all.

Is that such a bad thing these days? I know it would cause something of a fuss but even so.
Remember when this game was announced (XB1 announcement and games like Sim City still fresh in people's minds).

Forced online would have been a big deal, and not in a good way to many people.

JaggedSac

The amount of MS defense force members incorrectly stating that years ago they told us that building destruction was out for single player is irritating. That DID NOT happen. PERSISTENT destruction was out for single player. The buildings were going come back after you leave the area.

No, you sir, are the one incorrectly stating something.

Trup1aya

Wtf are you talking about? These comments were NEVER MADE.

Campain was always playable Offline and as such couldn't have cloudbased destruction.

Dynasty

They made it pretty clear that the destruction was only going to be in MP.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/gamerant.com/crackdown-3-destruction-multiplayer-only-343/amp/

While being able to topple city-wide blocks may sound incredibly fun, game director and series creator Dave Jones revealed that players will only be able to completely destroy the world in the multiplayer portion of the game. With the core experience of single player revolving around saving a brand new city from organized crime, the developer wanted to limit the amount of chaos and destruction players could inflict on the city. Even though players won’t be able to wipe the city clean, gamers will still be able to utilize destruction on a much more limited scale.

Anyway it baffles me why MS never showed the MP at E3, they could have easily made space for it at E3 by removing a few games. This game needs a Beta, to prove to everyone the tech works, hopefully it does because its absent at E3 has raised red flags for me.

Trup1aya

Are those gifs in the OP suppose to show destruction? just one car explosion and a crack in the street?

No

They won't be showcasing destruction at e3. For whatever reason, they thought it wise to highlight just the campaign at this time, which doesn't have the cloudbased destruction (because it's playable offline).

shandy706

It was meant to be according to some.

The 4k60 pipe dream has been doing the rounds for months on gaf, let's not pretend this console wasnt touted as an absolute monster.

Go bother those 3 people.

Can't wait to play this. I love the art-direction of the game.

Hopefully we'll see the multiplayer soon.

AlStrong

TIGEfJU.gif

f7TVk.gif

:p

You are misinformed and should educate yourself before you spout nonsense. No one is the Microsoft defense force maybe we just pay attention to what the developers say and try not to spout nonsense when we post.

It's been known since like 2015 destruction is multiplayer only

A better question is what happend to the beta they had scheduled for 2016.

It's been known for years. Here's a story from 2015.

Floody

Yeah, I think it was at least planned for both at some point, was reading this and he mentions both co-op and competitive when talking about destruction.
https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2015/08/how-crackdown-3-uses-the-cloud-to-make-whole-cities-destructible/
All of this destruction comes at a price, especially when you consider that there's also four-player co-op and competitive play--a price too high for Xbox One to pay by itself.

There were plenty of people getting high off hype because MS purposely talked about just Forza 6 in the DF specs reveal since it could actually manage 4K 60fps and people thought the system could handle anything at 4K 60fps.

No system ever released is capable of hitting a FPS target (or even a res target) on every single game. Anyone believing that is super naive and hasn't been around that long (or hasn't been paying attention).

Unless the hardware provider implements tough and rigid guidelines (and that would be stupid thing to do...).

Devs can always push a system to its limits. We are still very far from a time when the hardware power is "enough" to do whatever they want with their software. Until that time these compromises will always exist in the console space.

"Even though players won't be able to wipe the city clean, gamers will still be able to utilize destruction on a much more limited scale."

I took this to mean SOME destruction, not NO destruction. I should know better than to read anything into MS's bullshit.

You are misinformed and should educate yourself before you spout nonsense. No one is the Microsoft defense force maybe we just pay attention to what the developers say and try not to spout nonsense when we post.

It's been known since like 2015 destruction is multiplayer only

A better question is what happend to the beta they had scheduled for 2016.

That's what I want to know, my hype for this game is deflating at a steady pace. It really feels like they were too ambitious for their own good.

If the game's still destructible I wonder why they showed none of it in the trailer. It was supposed to be the game's defining feature. Sucks that it seems to be stripped away from the main game.

When did they ever say it was a part of the campaign/main game?

Are you referring to before they announced that it was restricted to a MP Mode over a year ago or are you simply making an assumption because you didn't know any better?

Dynasty

"Even though players won’t be able to wipe the city clean, gamers will still be able to utilize destruction on a much more limited scale."

I took this to mean SOME destruction, not NO destruction. I should know better than to read anything into MS's bullshit.

Kind of obvious, 'much more limited sale' basically means like other games. The occasional glass window, cars etc.

Well, first, Crackdown 3 was announced a year and a half before Sumo's involvement was announced... and second, interesting that the trailer did not include logos for two teams that you believe are the main developers. So I guess it's totally possible that this is just a totally bizarre miscommunication, but there seems to be a far simpler explanation consistent with everything we know.

On your last point. The main website still lists them. Cloudgnine and Reagent are still on the game.

https://www.crackdown.com/

This post from Sumo is still correct as well.

http://www.sumo-digital.com/announcing-crackdown-3/

KodiakGT

I wasn't a huge fan of the trailer shown, but I still have hope for the game. Will be interesting to see what is playable at the conference and the impressions.

theWB27

"Even though players won’t be able to wipe the city clean, gamers will still be able to utilize destruction on a much more limited scale."

You're gonna be mad at Microsoft regardless of how wrong you are huh? Hilarious.

Mauddib

Banned
Oh god this is looking terrible. What the fuck has MS done? You can tell they have no confidence in the franchise given how they treated it.

MS first party is in a worse state than I imagined. It's a crisis.

Destructions must be shit if they not wanna show anything. Overall it looks like a massive downgrade.

Screams development hell. If it wouldnt be one of only few first party exclusives left i bet it would have been canceled a long time ago.

theWB27

Is there going to besome kind of destruction in the SP?

The developer's comment sure sounded like even though the trailer didn't show it, SP will have destrucbilitiy here and there?

It's going to most likely be the standard windows, cars blowing up and the like. The actual buildings and such will be for MP.

Right after terry crews' amazing and hilarious appearance, showing a few buildings crumble down afterwards would have made a far better trailer.

For the group.

Just going to clear up some questions, though again understand there are many, many things I can't talk about as unless it's out there in public, I will get a pretty severe telling off :)

All of the above are elements that have been confirmed though, it's worth watching Clint's interview here if you haven't seen it already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pJvD7YawwI

Is there is a full day night/cycle - Yes, the game is not set in perpetual darkness! What you saw in the E3 Stage Presentation was footage captured from the E3 show floor demo. This starts at sunset, but at it's a time limited demo of ten minutes with accelerated levelling (much like the original Crackdown demo) most of the footage got captured as it transitions to night time and you don't quite get to sunrise in 10 minutes!

Multiplayer/Destruction - Campaign was designed to be played offline in single player, but can also be played online in 4 player Co-Op. Both don't feature the large scale world destruction as we wanted to make it accessible to as many people as possible. The competitive multiplayer will feature large scale destruction, MS will show it I'm sure when they're ready, but E3 is all about the Campaign side of the game. It is also a conscious gameplay choice for Campaign, razing the city to the ground doesn't feel like the kind of thing the good guys should do.

Who is working on the game - We (Sumo) have been involved with the game from the start and we're principally handling the Campaign side of the game. It's a group effort though with Reagent and Cloudgine who are principally handling the competitive multiplayer. Some elements are shared, some are unique based on the gameplay needs.

Why didn't you show more in the E3 Presentation - We were one of the 52 games on show, plus we're on the show-floor and we've got many press presentations booked over E3. I suspect they felt we could let the game talk more by itself! Plus don't forget that Crackdown is a very freeform game, it's hard to get that across as we're very definitely trying to avoid it being a scripted experience. Any given situation can be approached in a number of ways depending on the skills you've chosen to focus on.

Does the announcer (Voice of the Agency) return - Absolutely. Some things are Crackdown DNA, this is one of then.

Length of game/number of maps - This one I have to leave out specifics till MS talk more about the game, but we're expecting it to be comparable to previous Crackdown games.

Like I say, I know there are multiple interviews happening so more should be revealed over the next few days and I'll be surprised if there isn't any show floor footage as folks get into the booth.

I also appreciate folks remembering All-Stars Transformed which was my previous major gig before this one :)

Lots of Scorpio fans were hyping up 4k 60fps everywhere before its reveal for a whole year.

Now to see alot of 4k 30fps games on Scorpio not a good look

Receipts?

Forza is the only game anyone could expect on that end. High end PCs struggle with that. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone think that the Scorpio could push 4k 60fps across the board.

cakely

Because its single player?

Aslo, reading that Dev comment reassures me no end. Cant wait to see more footage later this week! :)

Ever since the Xbox One announcement we've been waiting to see "the power of the cloud". I was told repeatedly that Crackdown 3 was going to finally be the game that shows it off, so I looked for it in the new footage.

Lots of Scorpio fans were hyping up 4k 60fps everywhere before its reveal for a whole year.

Now to see alot of 4k 30fps games on Scorpio not a good look

That wasn't the overall consensus on GAF so taking fanboys who have twitter pages saying this, does not apply here...moving on.
----

I never got to play the first Crackdown or the 2nd but I'm still down to play this. I think the art style chosen makes it look bad but I'll await the final product. I feel like it would get better at that point. I wish they did make a crackdown collection or HD remaster :( thou

Top Bottom