• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dark Souls Announcement Coming? Like a Facebook page to find out.

Good games deserve to be on every platform
, controls and performance permitting.

I'd buy a fucking Tiger Handheld version of Dark Souls if I could, though.

esserius

Banned
Man, I'm going to be forcing my friends to get this. We will all enjoy jolly cooperation!

Will probably be going way beyond double-dipping. So hype!

IrishNinja

Some funny quotes from the facebook comment thread...I don't understand why people would be so against the idea of a PC port existing, hilarious immaturity.

its going to be the other great part of the PC announcement: bitter tears, as if your awesome experience the last 6 months or so is somehow tainted by others sharing it.

Anth0ny

someone needs to mod this mother fucker into the game

YP4a5.jpg

This, Master sword and Hyrule shield is all I need. Next gen Zelda here I come.

Emitan

its going to be the other great part of the PC announcement: bitter tears, as if your awesome experience the last 6 months or so is somehow tainted by others sharing it.

It's like gay marriage. Other people enjoying something only you could experience somehow invalidates it.

I don't understand it.

Vaporak

I'll be using a controller. M/KB DS sounds pretty bad.

Why do you say that? I've only had some experience with Demons Souls on a friends PS3 so maybe Dark souls controls differently or something, but: left and right mouse as light and strong attack, side mouse buttons as block and parry, middle as lockon, mouse movement for camera. Then Movement and hotkeys are on the keyboard. I'd probably actually prefer controlling it like that, the lockon for one would be much more manageable.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
someone needs to mod this mother fucker into the game
This, Master sword and Hyrule shield is all I need. Next gen Zelda here I come.

Honestly, I'd advise against stuff like this for new players. Try building an actual character in game to get something close to Link.

That's part of the fun of the game and the replay value, building characters from other games. I had fun with a Lenneth (Valkyrie Profile) build for a while.

Neiteio

It's like gay marriage. Other people enjoying something only you could experience somehow invalidates it.

I don't understand it.
Everyone knows that if you let the gays marry they will seal us in their space cocoons and impregnate us with their xenomorph offspring.

Duh.

IrishNinja

I don't understand it.

because it lumps in entirely different kinds of stupid - but stupid, all the same - this is the best bad analogy i have read all day

Emitan

I'm a PC gamer and I hate that attitude too.

I'm an everything gamer.

Why do you say that? I've only had some experience with Demons Souls on a friends PS3 so maybe Dark souls controls differently or something, but: left and right mouse as light and strong attack, side mouse buttons as block and parry, middle as lockon, mouse movement for camera. Then Movement and hotkeys are on the keyboard. I'd probably actually prefer controlling it like that, the lockon for one would be much more manageable.
Well not everyone has a 5 button mouse.

Zzoram

As much as I liked this game, and played it for over 100 hours, I don't know if I'd rebuy it on PC if they didn't add more content. Even 1 Painted World type place, or some combat arena mode, or anything.

Raide

Being able to alter your movement speed is pretty important for Dark Souls. Slowly edging over small gaps or sprinting over ledges, not sure how that translates correctly to M/KB.

Zeliard

There's really no reason that they can't release a PC version while still working on DLC. The port isn't going to be a significant undertaking, and if there is DLC coming, they've probably been working on it for a while.

It's entirely possible we'll see DLC released for the console versions that will simply be included in the PC version. It's happened before with other games.

Orayn

So disappointed to see all these people talk about modding this game...

Just leave perfection alone for fuck sakes!

Eh, things get a little sloppy later in the game. I personally wouldn't install mods, but Dark Souls isn't quite perfect.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
5 fps blighttown is perfection?

No it isn't, I think Remij is referring to gameplay altering mods. If that's the case, then I have to say I'm in agreement if you haven't gone through the vanilla game at least once.

Raide

Not even, like, texture mods or anything?

Improving and updating textures is ok. Altering the textures to make PvP etc easier like an FPS, no thanks. If they let people mod it, then you could potentially unbalance the game. Thats ok if you want to play solo but online would be a mess.

People cheated through something like Skyrim, making things easier to do etc but they also had the option of making it harder. I am not sure Dark Souls needs to be made harder, especially with the NG+ stuff.

If it comes on PC, the way the PC community deals with the game will alter their chances of getting Dark Souls 2. So don't hack it to destruction.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
holy shitballs. wow. i can't believe i'm going to buy this again but yeah, it's that fucking good. now i just need to get a new laptop that can run it.

IrishNinja

You're completely missing the point.

what if the point wasnt just getting link into the game, but fan-made sections and fixes/patches? you know there's PC mods for beloved games that fix glitches, replace older/poor textures, and even increase performance?

if you don't want to play a custom Casltevania-esque level, that's certainly your choice. i like the option and don't think its existence takes from the game proper. but pretending the limitations the devs ran into was "part of the original vision", instead of cheering on the made-with-love fan efforts to improve this gem...i'll never get this attitude.

Would fixing the framerate be considered a mod?

ah, perhaps you were unaware. but yeah, if it was made by fans, i'd say yes.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
what if the point wasnt just getting link into the game, but fan-made sections and fixes/patches? you know there's PC mods for beloved games that fix glitches, replace older/poor textures, and even increase performance?

if you don't want to play a custom Casltevania-esque level, that's certainly your choice. i like the option and don't think its existence takes from the game proper. but pretending the limitations the devs ran into was "part of the original vision", instead of cheering on the made-with-love fan efforts to improve this gem...i'll never get this attitude.

the whole game is already Castlevania-esque. It's SOTN in many ways but somehow more epic and incredible. goddamn i love this game. even now playing mass 3, reading this makes me want to go back.

This game absolutely needs to separate mods and vanilla for online play and have it protected or else this game will be a griefers dream and completely ruin PVP. I'm all for having some pvp arena type modes but they need to keep it separate from the single player.

What point?

I don't love moding, but what's wrong with people who does? Sometimes something good/useful/funny come out from it

I think his point is the game is flawless as is and should be experienced as intended(at least once) before being modded to hell and back.

Raide

What point?

I don't love moding, but what's wrong with people who does? Sometimes something good/useful/funny come out from it

Sure, some useful stuff does come out of it but when people mod it and it detracts from the gameplay, then it sucks. Take the encumbrance in Dark Souls. People played Skyrim and modded it out. If they do that with Dark Souls, then it pretty much invalidates getting certain stats or choosing your armour etc. The first things modded will be infinite Souls and then the game is ruined.

Sure, if they play it through to see everything, then mod away but the game is designed for people to move on to NG+ for a challenge.

Well, you probably don't know, since you don't know me from a hole in the ground... but I'm a fan of Dark Souls and Demon's Souls before that.

Modding things like graphics is fine and dandy. Creating new content and such... nah, imo you're taking away from the game. Not everything has to be modded.

I'm disappointed because it's sad to hear some of the first things from people who probably haven't even played the game yet are things like "OMG how can we mod this"...

Changing anything to do with the gameplay would be criminal imo..

Remember when fans were talking about the game having party chat on the 360 and not on the PS3, and the devs were talking about removing the functionality because it differed from how they envisioned the game to be played...

yea, with PC...all that's gone right out the window.

Anyways, it really doesn't affect me.. Dark Souls is GOTG so far and I don't want to see it be modded to hell.

Varna

People cheated through something like Skyrim, making things easier to do etc but they also had the option of making it harder. I am not sure Dark Souls needs to be made harder, especially with the NG+ stuff.

There is plenty that needs to be balanced and if devs aren't up for it fans will be.

The way elemental/magic weapons work is completely broken and it makes building dex/str builds pointless.

Magic in general is way too overpowered. Very little risk in being a spell caster since you can have as much HP as any other build without it effecting your damage output one bit.

Pyromancy is just stupid. Yes... let's make it completely depending on how many souls you are willing to dump into it. Oh yeah, souls are infinite and ridiculously easy to come by later.

EDIT: Lol a lot of you guys are crazy. If this game did it hit PC and was somewhat mod friendly it would keep the game alive FOREVER. The vanilla game would always be there and it's plenty easy to make certain lobbies (or whatever system they use) be mod free.

Top Bottom