• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dark Souls Announcement Coming? Like a Facebook page to find out.

Orayn

Guys, actual mod support seems extremely unlikely. People may find ways of altering gameplay, but I'm guessing it'll be limited to extremely rough, hacked-together stuff that will almost certainly be detected as a cheat if someone tries to go online.

Headache-inducing console FOV is a common issue I've had to deal with time and time again. Thank goodness for modding. It also extends the life of games like no other, oh my. Lots of value there.

I guess the only concern are mods that mess with the multiplayer ecosystem, main focus cheating. That should be manageable.

Raide

There is plenty that needs to be balanced and if devs aren't up for it fans will be.

The way elemental/magic weapons work is completely broken and it makes building dex/str builds pointless.

Magic in general is way too overpowered. Very little risk in being a spell caster since you can have as much HP as any other build without it effecting your damage output one bit.

Pyromancy is just stupid. Yes... let's make it completely depending on how many souls you are willing to dump into it. Oh yeah, souls are infinite and ridiculously easy to come by later.

Agree. Even if the PC version does not fix that, maybe a Beta test for the next one would fix those balance issues earlier.

Despite some of those issues being overpowered, the game can still brutally murder you. :D

Chavelo

Great.

Now, not only do PC players get lumped with pirates, but they also botch beautiful, pure console games with their hacks and ugly anime model swapping without even playing the core game because they just have to do their cheating right away.

Good shit, GAF. Never failing to disappoint.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Great.

Now, not only do PC players get lumped with pirates, but they also botch beautiful, pure console games with their hacks and ugly anime model swapping without even playing the core game because they just have to do their cheating right away.

I will play as the TERA Elin and no one can stop me!

Well, you probably don't know, since you don't know me from a hole in the ground... but I'm a fan of Dark Souls and Demon's Souls before that.

Modding things like graphics is fine and dandy. Creating new content and such... nah, imo you're taking away from the game. Not everything has to be modded.

I'm disappointed because it's sad to hear some of the first things from people who probably haven't even played the game yet are things like "OMG how can we mod this"...

Changing anything to do with the gameplay would be criminal imo..

Remember when fans were talking about the game having party chat on the 360 and not on the PS3, and the devs were talking about removing the functionality because it differed from how they envisioned the game to be played...

yea, with PC...all that's gone right out the window.

Anyways, it really doesn't affect me.. Dark Souls is GOTG so far and I don't want to see it be modded to hell.

It sounds like you think modding a game on PC is equivalent to colorizing movies. Or maybe even buying a painting and deciding because it's yours you can wipe your ass with it.

I think most people respect the games they mod and respect the design that went into them. It's more like detailing or beefing up your car. It adds value to something you love, even if only for you personally.

guys, if this game had full mod support, I would build a gigantic multi area castle with the level of variety of sotn, with graphics of the same level of quality as the core game and if possible, a variety of new whips, swords, armor and shields that fit into the balance of the game, I dare you to tell me that you don't want that ;p

I'd welcome mods like custom weapons and armor, but only if you could merely swap the models out of the existing gear in the game (AKA no newly added stuff by players that could break game balance wide open). That would be awesome.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
guys, if this game had full mod support, I would build a gigantic multi area castle with the level of variety of sotn, with graphics of the same level of quality as the core game and if possible, a variety of new whips, swords, armor and shields that fit into the balance of the game, I dare you to tell me that you don't want that ;p

Dark Souls=Dark Souls. I can dig it.

Great.

I think people worried about the state of PVP in a game where it is an integral part of the single player experience is a valid one. It has nothing to do with "PC gamers" cause some console gamers exploit everything they possibly can on this game, with PC being as moddable as it is this can become a huge problem.

Anth0ny

Guys, actual mod support seems extremely unlikely. People may find ways of altering gameplay, but I'm guessing it'll be limited to extremely rough, hacked-together stuff that will almost certainly be detected as a cheat if someone tries to go online.

I've never gone online with the game. Ever.

I haven't downloaded any patches. I've never done PvP. No interaction with other players. I've played the game strictly as a single player game, and I've loved every moment.

All I want to do is play as Link, damn it!

It sounds like you think modding a game on PC is equivalent to colorizing movies. Or maybe even buying a painting and deciding because it's yours you can wipe your ass with it.

I think most people respect the games they mod and respect the design that went into them. It's more like detailing or beefing up your car. It adds value to something you love, even if only for you personally.

It's taking a Davinci art (Dark Souls) and trying to add on and extend the picture with crayons.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Im actually curious as to how mods would even work with this game (if at all) considering the singleplayer and multiplayer are intertwined.

The Hermit

Sure, some useful stuff does come out of it but when people mod it and it detracts from the gameplay, then it sucks. Take the encumbrance in Dark Souls. People played Skyrim and modded it out. If they do that with Dark Souls, then it pretty much invalidates getting certain stats or choosing your armour etc. The first things modded will be infinite Souls and then the game is ruined.

Sure, if they play it through to see everything, then mod away but the game is designed for people to move on to NG+ for a challenge.

well, modding gameplay is stupid... I was referring to visual and performance stuff. I can totally agree with you, especially considering the PvP aspect.

Sullichin

I haven't downloaded any patches. I've never done PvP. No interaction with other players. I've played the game strictly as a single player game, and I've loved every moment.

You should really, really check out the online aspects of the game if you can.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I've played the game strictly as a single player game, and I've loved every moment.

kirk-mccoy-nod.gif

Verelios

Well there's your problem sir. Nothing better than perching yourself up high and flinging bolts at an unsuspecting peon as they waltz by below. Then crashing down and absolutely raping them before they even get a chance to see what the fuck happened. Awwwwwwww Yeahhhh.

Also, just use a short sword/schmitar and short bow/crossbow. You're Link. Oh, and wear green mage robes if you like. But you'll probably die.

It's taking a Davinci art (Dark Souls) and trying to add on and extend the picture with crayons.
It's more like somebody converted the entire game into Yoshi's Island art style and people want to buy a copy just to try it out after seeing it on youtube. Oh, and it's the year 2018.

Im actually curious as to how mods would even work with this game (if at all) considering the singleplayer and multiplayer are intertwined.

I would imagine (dream about really) something like most singleplayer games and rpgs have (as opposed to how TES games function) where you can start a new campaign in a mod level / world and it doesn't connect to the main game at all. So it would work really well with multiplayer as everyone you played with would also have the mod and be playing a character that was specific to that.

IrishNinja

Well, you probably don't know, since you don't know me from a hole in the ground... but I'm a fan of Dark Souls and Demon's Souls before that.

Modding things like graphics is fine and dandy. Creating new content and such... nah, imo you're taking away from the game. Not everything has to be modded.

I'm disappointed because it's sad to hear some of the first things from people who probably haven't even played the game yet are things like "OMG how can we mod this"...

Changing anything to do with the gameplay would be criminal imo..

Remember when fans were talking about the game having party chat on the 360 and not on the PS3, and the devs were talking about removing the functionality because it differed from how they envisioned the game to be played...

yea, with PC...all that's gone right out the window.

Anyways, it really doesn't affect me.. Dark Souls is GOTG so far and I don't want to see it be modded to hell.

i certainly don't know you, like you didn't know back there that improving framerate counts as a mod. but please, tell me how that spoils the vision and would be "criminal".

i adored both souls games, and platted them. personally? I'm disappointed by your focusing on what other first-time players want to do with their game, rather than celebrating their ability to finally play it.

bolded part is the important bit, then you contradict it in the same sentence. you know that elitist thing uppity PC gamers do sometimes? you're no different here.

zkylon

zkylewd

Depends a lot on the game. Some of the highest ranked mods on Oblivion or Fallout 3 are shameful, but really, we wouldn't have TF2 without them...

jimmy5150

ill never understand ppl like this. the online is what takes dark souls from great to amazing

Seriously.

I understand people who don't want to get into the PvP or don't want to be invaded while they are trying to do something else, but the messages left by other players are a huge part of the experience.

Stay hollow except for if you want help with a boss fight, and the only thing you get are shiny orange things on the ground that you can read/not read if you want.

Edit: If you don't have Live or reliable internet, that's a bit different. I was imagining someone who disconnected their console to play Dark Souls purely single player.

i certainly don't know you, like you didn't know back there that improving framerate counts as a mod. but please, tell me how that spoils the vision and would be "criminal".

i adored both souls games, and platted them. personally? I'm disappointed by your focusing on what other first-time players want to do with their game, rather than celebrating their ability to finally play it.

bolded part is the important bit, then you contradict it in the same sentence. you know that elitist thing uppity PC gamers do sometimes? you're no different here.

First of all, improving the framerate would come as a natural side effect of having much more powerful hardware to run the game on...and how well NAMCO and FROM SOFTWARE port the game... not some "faster fps mod" Thus I don't really see your point..

And I'm not telling anyone what they can and can't do with their game. I'm saying as a fan of the series it's sad to see so many talk about that. You seem to have assumed that I wasn't happy for potential first time players on PC to finally be able to play the game..

Are you criticizing me because I don't want to see THIS game changed or because you think I have some deep seeded anger against PC gaming and mods in general?

Exuro

First of all, improving the framerate would come as a natural side effect of having much more powerful hardware to run the game on...and how well NAMCO and FROM SOFTWARE port the game... not some "faster fps mod" Thus I don't really see your point..
But Skyrim's SkyBoost mod does exactly this.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's shortsighted to think that Dark Souls is in any way "sullied" by being on PC.

The flipside of mods that screw it up, are mods that do fascinating and beneficial things. This doesn't even get into the potential for superior performance and IQ - something a very dark, intentionally gloomy game like Souls series can only benefit from.

Giving Dark Souls a potentially infinite life span on PC thanks to expandable hardware and a community that can keep it going ad infintium just about makes it game of the forever.

Raide

Maybe something like open battle.net and closed battle.net that Diablo 2 had.

I don't see From being able to make their own Battle.net for Dark Souls. If it appears on Steam, then that might help but people will still try and mod it.

Zeliard

Seriously.

I understand people who don't want to get into the PvP or don't want to be invaded while they are trying to do something else, but the messages left by other players are a huge part of the experience.

Stay hollow except for if you want help with a boss fight, and the only thing you get are shiny orange things on the ground that you can read/not read if you want.

Edit: If you don't have Live or reliable internet, that's a bit different. I was imagining someone who disconnected their console to play Dark Souls purely single player.

Some people do purposefully play it offline, and I can understand that. I love the co-op and online features in those games but I can see why some just wouldn't be bothered to mess with it. I had a buddy who was invaded once and it practically ruined his day, lol. Lots of laughs were had at his expense. :p

Will get this so my brother and I can both play Dark Souls at the same time.

But people thinking this will be like Skyrim are setting themselves up for disappointment, it's extremely unlikely this game will be mod-friendly. It's just going to be the regular game with a better framerate and (possibly) nicer visuals. There might be some jury-rigged bootleg mods out there, but nothing that's going to drastically alter gameplay.

RedSwirl

It's shortsighted to think that Dark Souls is in any way "sullied" by being on PC.

The flipside of mods that screw it up, are mods that do fascinating and beneficial things. This doesn't even get into the potential for superior performance and IQ - something a very dark, intentionally gloomy game like Souls series can only benefit from.

Giving Dark Souls a potentially infinite life span on PC thanks to expandable hardware and a community that can keep it going ad infintium just about makes it game of the forever.

What about the servers? Something tells me Namco and FROM won't make this game natively support dedicated servers.

Top Bottom