• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon's Dogma Preview

ironcreed

Banned
New preview from Now Gamer entitled:

7 Reasons why it's the Dark Souls of 2012

"Dragon’s Dogma is difficult and bleak

Aside from its innovative online options, Dragon’s Dogma is also comparable to Dark Souls in just how bloody difficult it can be. Without quest knowledge earned through other gamers hiring your main Pawn, you can be easily killed unless you’re careful.

One quest sees your hero and his squad journeying to an encampment on the other side of a rocky canyon. As you venture up the a hill within the canyon, a series of massive stone boulders start rolling down the hill towards you, and unless you move fast, you will get flattened and potentially killed with ease.

But if your main Pawn has done this quest before in another player’s game, they will warn you to be cautious and to look out for traps, which in a way apes the message system from Dark Souls.

After skirting around the boulders you will fight a gang of thieves, and even these low-level enemies can kill you in mere moments if you’re not careful. You really need a squad with varied Vocations in order to survive, so that you are balancing melee and ranged attacks, as well as healing and offensive magic.

In true Capcom fashion, Dragon’s Dogma is a hard, punishing game, but together, all of the online player across the world will help each other through the grind, and this is a feature that will capture the imagination of many gamers when it launches.

Difficulty aside, Dragon’s Dogma takes place in a bleak world where monsters are killing all of the humans, and leaving the land in ruins. It’s a dark, often desolate world that – while graphically impressive – will beat you down at every opportunity.

Some might call Dragon’s Dogma depressing in places, but Dark Souls fans would call it ‘atmospheric’, and that’s exactly what it is. We’ll bring you more on Capcom’s superb action RPG as it happens, but for now, fans of Dark Souls have a lot more punishment in store in 2012."

Full article here:

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1246721/dragons_dogma_7_reasons_why_its_the_dark_souls_of_2012.html

Anteater

I feel that they're putting too much focus on the pawn system judging from the article, not sure if it would work as well as they want it to be, I would need to play it to know though, I'm still not grasping the concept and I'm not sure if they're really that useful, like monster weaknesses, there shouldn't be a lot of them are there? And most of the time they could be obvious, I hope that doesn't mean your own pawn will be dumb and couldn't figure out how to shoot an enemy's head because they haven't "learned" it yet.

Even if they say the game is 70hrs long, or hundreds of hours long, I'm not sure if people would bother to share and hire new pawns for a long time and build a community. There would need to be a lot of monsters and contents.

Everything else seems interesting to me though. I'll be one of the 5 people who cares on gaf judging from the popularity of this thread :lol

You have my sword Itsuno!

ironcreed

Banned
I feel that they're putting too much focus on the pawn system judging from the article, not sure if it would work as well as they want it to be, I would need to play it to know though, I'm still not grasping the concept and I'm not sure if they're really that useful, like monster weaknesses, there shouldn't be a lot of them are there? And most of the time they could be obvious, I hope that doesn't mean your own pawn will be dumb and couldn't figure out how to shoot an enemy's head because they haven't "learned" it yet.

Even if they say the game is 70hrs long, or hundreds of hours long, I'm not sure if people would bother to share and hire new pawns for a long time and build a community. There would need to be a lot of monsters and contents.

Everything else seems interesting to me though. I'll be one of the 5 people who cares on gaf judging from the popularity of this thread :lol

Well, people continually play games like Dark Souls and leave messages all over the place for those new to the areas. Only here your Pawn gives you insight that it gained from playing with other players, giving you useful tips depending on if it is a situation that was encountered with another player. It sounds as if success is structured around this concept for the most part.

Beyond that, I actually think that using others player's Pawns and sending them back with not only experience for who they belong to, but gifts and ratings could prove to be quite addictive on it's own. Not to mention how the article says that each class has so many variables, as does each battle. It is clearly a game that is meant to be replayed in different ways from the sound of things.

Anyway, I guess we shall see. There does not seem to be much hype for this one, but I am most certainly looking forward to it. *shrugs*

Anteater

Well, people continually play games like Dark Souls and leave messages all over the place for those new to the areas. Only here your Pawn gives you insight that it gained from playing with other players, giving you useful tips depending on if it is a situation that was encountered with another player. It sounds as if success is structured around this concept for the most part.

Beyond that, I actually think that using others player's Pawns and sending them back with not only experience for who they belong to, but gifts and ratings could prove to be quite addictive on it's own. Not to mention how the article says that each class has so many variables, as does each battle. It is clearly a game that is meant to be replayed in different ways from the sound of things.

Anyway, I guess we shall see. Not much hype for this one, but I am most certainly looking forward to it. *shrugs*

Yeah, I guess there's also the fact that you could switch between classes in the game too without having to restart, encourages you to try different strategies

The Pawn system sounds very intriguing. I haven't been paying a lot of attention to Dragon's Dogma but it's got a bit of my interest. I'm mostly just wary due to it being Capcom and I'm waiting to see just how well all this is executed.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Lol Capcom.

So Dogma IS an interpretation of a Dark Souls style of game. About time someone cleared that up since Capcom hasn't had the balls to just come out and say it. They're very different obviously, Dogma seems to be a bit "bigger" in ways.

This is good news.

bounchfx

I have high hopes for this game. Still really, really, really wish it was directly multiplayer but ah well.

and pure difficulty does not a good game make. On my tentative list... please be good.

no... please be great

TreIII

Sounds interesting. I'll wait to see for myself how this all (hopefully) comes together when the game comes out.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
If this is even remotely DeS/DaS-like, then I'm there day 1.
I started, played through, and platinum'ed both of the FROM games back to back and I'm still aching for more!

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, I guess there's also the fact that you could switch between classes in the game too without having to restart, encourages you to try different strategies

Exactly, and you can do the same for your Pawn as well. Along with that, what I was most pleased to hear is how you are going to have to balance your party for different scenarios and how there are many different ways to go about doing things. Playing around with different party set-ups and finding new ways to kill enemies is going to be fun. Considering how huge the game is supposed to be and the Pawn system, it could prove to be quite a unique and very addictive experience.

ironcreed

Banned
Guy got rezzed a bunch of times on the stream for Dogma

I don't see how that's 'difficult'

They were playing with a beefed up party, but I guess we shall see. Considering the guys behind it and where they are clearly drawing at least some inspiration from (The Souls series), I think it will have more than it's fair share of challenging scenarios.

broham

Guy got rezzed a bunch of times on the stream for Dogma

I don't see how that's 'difficult'
He was also close to dieing for most of the second half of the stream, if he hadn't been keeping the mage alive to constantly heal him he would've been screwed.

Grisby

Christ, I didn't really want a super depressing world. And I'm not too keen on the hardcore difficulty either, :/.

Ah, at least the pawn stuff sounds like the next evolution of the Soul's series message system. Pretty neat.

ironcreed

Banned
Christ, I didn't really want a super depressing world. And I'm not too keen on the hardcore difficulty either, :/.

Ah, at least the pawn stuff sounds like the next evolution of the Soul's series message system. Pretty neat.

What we have seen does not look depressing at all to me. Maybe there are some darker themes to be seen, though. Which I am actually quite alright with. But I do hope there is more of a balance.

Anteater

Well there still seems to be a lot of outdoor areas, though there are also dungeons, etc, I'm looking forward to at least exploring the outdoors and killing big monsters.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

I'm kind of the same way. The Souls games are neat, but they're so not for me. I don't have the time/interest to hit brick walls these days. Might have to rethink this.

Elginer

Wow this sounds incredibly cool. I love to see more games try different social things of this nature. It's one of the highlights of Dark Souls.

New preview from Now Gamer entitled:

7 Reasons why it's the Dark Souls of 2012

But if your main Pawn has done this quest before in another player’s game, they will warn you to be cautious and to look out for traps, which in a way apes the message system from Dark Souls.

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1246721/dragons_dogma_7_reasons_why_its_the_dark_souls_of_2012.html

sounds awesome. im glad the awesomeness of dark souls is spilling into the industry. More games need interesting ways of including multiplayer into single player games beyond your typical team deatmatch.

ironcreed

Banned
sounds awesome. im glad the awesomeness of dark souls is spilling into the industry. More games need interesting ways of including multiplayer into single player games beyond your typical team deatmatch.

My line of thought exactly. This sounds like an incredibly addictive and natural progression of what the Souls series began with it's messages. Which is by all means a great thing for an action RPG of this nature.

I'm getting huge Dark Souls and Dragon Age vibes. That Hydra video was great...it reminded me a little of a much prettier DA, while the combat seemed closer to Dark Souls. The pawn system sounds very interesting and I commend Capcom for taking big-budget risks.

I will definitely be buying this game. I hope it does well.

So can anyone tell me about any of the online functions in this game?

I'm deciding which platform I buy this on but I'm not going to pay for Live.

Hayeya

Banned
After killing Firelurker in new game plus in Demons souls yesterday, i now believe that i enjoy those type of Hard and challenging games, so if Dragon's dogma is close to the difficulty of Demons souls, count me in.

Jac_Solar

They've mentioned how big the map is several times in various articles, and they do it in this one as well.

"As the world of Dragon’s Dogma is absolutely massive, you will need to find specific locations, key items and NPCs to complete quests, which can potentially take you hours of exploration to find."

And they've said that you can go anywhere you want, if it exists in the world obviously. A developer (One of the main developers.) said it would take 2+ hours to cross the entire world, which sounds extreme for a game of this type -- but why haven't they shown off any maps, stuff you can do in the world or with the world?

The way the game has been portrayed thus far makes it seem like a very, very single minded game with (Basically) nothing to do except run around the world and engage in fights, which would get boring extremely quickly. An open world game like this obviously needs a lot of different mechanics/content/stuff to do to work, and I find it slightly weird that they haven't shown off anything like that.

This is the kind of action RPG I've been waiting for this entire fucking generation. Too bad there's no optional multiplayer co-op, but this sounds amazing so far.

They've mentioned how big the map is several times in various articles, and they do it in this one as well.

"As the world of Dragon’s Dogma is absolutely massive, you will need to find specific locations, key items and NPCs to complete quests, which can potentially take you hours of exploration to find."

And they've said that you can go anywhere you want, if it exists in the world obviously. A developer (One of the main developers.) said it would take 2+ hours to cross the entire world, which sounds extreme for a game of this type -- but why haven't they shown off any maps, stuff you can do in the world or with the world?

The way the game has been portrayed thus far makes it seem like a very, very single minded game with (Basically) nothing to do except run around the world and engage in fights, which would get boring extremely quickly. An open world game like this obviously needs a lot of different mechanics/content/stuff to do to work, and I find it slightly weird that they haven't shown off anything like that.

Sounds like you've been playing too many TES games. Combat will only be a chore if it is shallow, lazily designed and the enemy AI is crap. In other words, the combat of every TES game. Also, the amount of quests in an open world game like Skyrim that -didn't- require you to engage in the combat system were kind of few and far between. Most of the game has you out killing and fetching shit. Soo I really don't know where you're coming from.

Personally I would much rather have a game that focuses on less overall mechanics and makes them deep and interesting (ie Dark Souls) rather than try to cover as much ground as possible while not giving a crap that your mechanics are shallow as hell and not really fun at all.

Mognet

Great interview, it definitely gets me more excited about the game. Reading about the atmosphere and difficulty gets me hyped!

Reknoc

After watching the Capcom Unity stream, I can't say I'm all that sold on the party members thing. I mean, the whole Pawn thing is a neat idea, especially how they'll be able to give you hints if they've done the quest with some one before. I just found all the party members to be way too chatty during combat and it all looked a bit messy.

That said, the bleak setting will be perfect for the Berserk gear DLC :D

This is the kind of action RPG I've been waiting for this entire fucking generation. Too bad there's no optional multiplayer co-op, but this sounds amazing so far.

Agreed.

After watching the Capcom Unity stream, I can't say I'm all that sold on the party members thing. I mean, the whole Pawn thing is a neat idea, especially how they'll be able to give you hints if they've done the quest with some one before. I just found all the party members to be way too chatty during combat and it all looked a bit messy.

That said, the bleak setting will be perfect for the Berserk gear DLC :D

Agreed.

Thankfully you can turn off and even reduce the amount of chatting done by your party members. I myself like all the chatter going on. It really makes battles feel more real and hectic but it is nice to know that the option is there if I ever want them to shut up, lol.

Reknoc

Thankfully you can turn off and even reduce the amount of chatting done by your party members. I myself like all the chatter going on. It really makes battles feel more real and hectic but it is nice to know that the option is there if I ever want them to shut up, lol.

Oooo, I didn't know about that. Well, that's that then, this game is going to be perfect for me.

Jac_Solar

Sounds like you've been playing too many TES games. Combat will only be a chore if it is shallow, lazily designed and the enemy AI is crap. In other words, the combat of every TES game. Also, the amount of quests in an open world game like Skyrim that -didn't- require you to engage in the combat system were kind of few and far between. Most of the game has you out killing and fetching shit. Soo I really don't know where you're coming from.

Personally I would much rather have a game that focuses on less overall mechanics and makes them deep and interesting (ie Dark Souls) rather than try to cover as much ground as possible while not giving a crap that your mechanics are shallow as hell and not really fun at all.

That is true, yes. I really loved Dark Souls, and it didn't feel lacking at all in terms of content. I suppose I have gotten a bit "too used" to the TES way of doing things.

However, content/mechanics/stuff to do, as I described, would also includes a combat system such as Dark Souls; it's very deep, there are many different animations, and it feels very large, structured and extremely responsive -- you feel like you are in control. This is quite rare in most games though.

Dark Souls has a ton of content; areas, items, bosses, mobs, combat of course, but it does it differently. It's deep as opposed to large, I suppose? It's just a very satisfying game - the more time you invest, the better you get, and there's something very satisfying about that.

But despite having followed this game for awhile, I still don't know what to think of it. It uses the MT Framework engine, and they said it was very hard to make an open world game in it, and look at the other games from this engine:

"Version 2.0

Lost Planet 2 v2.0
Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds v2.1
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (PS3 and Xbox 360) v2.?
Dragon's Dogma v2.?
Resident Evil 6"

From wikipedia,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MT_Framework

Sort of a weird choice for an open world game.

Still, it's an engine, and who knows what they have altered in it.

Top Bottom