• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon's Dogma Preview

This is the kind of action RPG I've been waiting for this entire fucking generation. Too bad there's no optional multiplayer co-op, but this sounds amazing so far.

I don't get why they didn't make it multiplayer co-op. I mean if you had a game like Demon's Souls with a massive world and 4 player full drop in/drop out co-op I imagine it'd sell tons.

That is true, yes. I really loved Dark Souls, and it didn't feel lacking at all in terms of content. I suppose I have gotten a bit "too used" to the TES way of doing things.

However, content/mechanics/stuff to do, as I described, would also includes a combat system such as Dark Souls; it's very deep, there are many different animations, and it feels very large, structured and extremely responsive -- you feel like you are in control. This is quite rare in most games though.

Dark Souls has a ton of content; areas, items, bosses, mobs, combat of course, but it does it differently. It's deep as opposed to large, I suppose? It's just a very satisfying game - the more time you invest, the better you get, and there's something very satisfying about that.

But despite having followed this game for awhile, I still don't know what to think of it. It uses the MT Framework engine, and they said it was very hard to make an open world game in it, and look at the other games from this engine:

"Version 2.0

Lost Planet 2 v2.0
Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds v2.1
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (PS3 and Xbox 360) v2.?
Dragon's Dogma v2.?
Resident Evil 6"

From wikipedia,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MT_Framework

Sort of a weird choice for an open world game.

Still, it's an engine, and who knows what they have altered in it.

I can't speak for the areas in the game because as you've said they have really not shown much of them (which is a worry of mine as well). However, they have posted FAQs which talked about the mechanics of the game as well as a 2 hour stream. The game will definitely have a lot of items, mobs, bosses and a deep, satisfying combat system (if the director is to be believed!).

Dragon’s Dogma is difficult and bleak

Aside from its innovative online options, Dragon’s Dogma is also comparable to Dark Souls in just how bloody difficult it can be. Without quest knowledge earned through other gamers hiring your main Pawn, you can be easily killed unless you’re careful.

One quest sees your hero and his squad journeying to an encampment on the other side of a rocky canyon. As you venture up the a hill within the canyon, a series of massive stone boulders start rolling down the hill towards you, and unless you move fast, you will get flattened and potentially killed with ease.

But if your main Pawn has done this quest before in another player’s game, they will warn you to be cautious and to look out for traps, which in a way apes the message system from Dark Souls.

After skirting around the boulders you will fight a gang of thieves, and even these low-level enemies can kill you in mere moments if you’re not careful.

Yes. YES! YES!!! The Souls games' inspiration for the industry is a great good thing. Consider this on my radar.

Himself

My biggest concern is that it will be TOO much like the Souls games. I love those games, but I'd like Dogma to significantly differentiate itself somehow.

ironcreed

Banned
Great interview.

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1246748/dragons_dogma_classes_gameplay_pawn_interview.html

I'm so happy that Itsuno named the old D&D games from Capcom.

Nice, thanks for adding this. Points of interest I feel are noteworthy:

The whole Pawn system is a very interesting take on the game, and it recalls Demon's Souls and Dark Souls in the way everyone is online helping each other from within their own single player game. Was this always part and parcel of how the game works since day one?

"Yeah, that was the vision that I had. I wanted to make a single player experience that doesnt feel like multiplayer, but it has connections to the Internet and networking with players all around the world.

Basically I felt that multipler - at times - is fun, as there are a lot of great multiplayer games out there. But at times it can also be inconvenient, for example, with a game like this you really have to plan with your friends when going online.

You'd say, "OK, well let's meet at 8pm in the lobby and we'll all hook up and play. Stuff like that. So in that sense, you'd also have trouble if you wanted to leave a game, and your friends would be like, "Oh you're leaving? But we haven't finished this ques yet."

I wanted to avoid all of that, and let you play without having to worry about all of those multiplayer things, and just kind of just play whenever you want, but still reap the benefits of networking and online features."

And for those worried about there not being much to do, other than go fight monsters:

Dragon's Dogma will last anywhere between 30-100 hours. Can you begin to quantify how much content is in there, and what will people have to if they want their experience to stretch to the latter end of the scale?

"Originally it was about 30 hours for the main campaign, but if you took into account all of the side quests, you're looking at around an extra 70 hours.

But actually, as a result of recent developments, the main campaign will now be over 30 hours. It will be very difficult to complete in 30 hours.

Looking at the bulk of potential quests in your Quest Log, you're looking at having 20-30 active quests at any one time. There might not even be main quest either, as there are many side quests with a lot of rare things to collect, and so on."

ironcreed

Banned
My biggest concern is that it will be TOO much like the Souls games. I love those games, but I'd like Dogma to significantly differentiate itself somehow.

Other than having a natural progression of the message system (not to mention something much better) and apparent difficulty, they really do not seem to be that much alike. For starters, Dragon's Dogma has more of an Elder Scrolls type of open world and it is more story-driven as well. Then of course it is party-based and will require balanced party tactics to win. Even further, the monster designs are totally different and there is no soul/hollowed form equivalent either. It is very much doing it's own thing.

Sounds awesome. What I want to know now is how does saving work and what are the consequences for death? I really don't want to be able to save anywhere/anytime with multiple save files that I can reload if something goes wrong. That completely negates any consequence from actions and choices made. I'm hoping it's like Dark Souls, saving constantly in the background and dropping you back and a campsite or some kind of set checkpoint when you die. Since the world will be much more open maybe you could make a campsite (like a portable DS bonfire) anywhere outdoors that is safe which you would return to upon death. Some restrictions would apply to how often and where you could camp.

ironcreed

Banned
Sounds awesome. What I want to know now is how does saving work and what are the consequences for death? I really don't want to be able to save anywhere/anytime with multiple save files that I can reload if something goes wrong. That completely negates any consequence from actions and choices made. I'm hoping it's like Dark Souls, saving constantly in the background and dropping you back and a campsite or some kind of set checkpoint when you die. Since the world will be much more open maybe you could make a campsite (like a portable DS bonfire) anywhere outdoors that is safe which you would return to upon death. Some restrictions would apply to how often and where you could camp.

I seriously doubt it is going to have a bonfire type of system, and I don't want it to. As that would be too much of a blatant rip-off. I am just fine with being able save wherever I please and am willing to bet that, along with auto-saves, that is the way it will be handled here.

Riposte

Seems more like Demon's Souls where you had a shitload of healing items. Except in this you can't be interrupted while using them (since they are used safely in the pause menu). So I have a feeling this game won't be hard at all (and perhaps never as tense).

Actually I don't think the game bares much of Dark Souls in it. For one you can jump and climb, which makes for a big difference. The combat is faster and you can even juggle. I'd put it in the a different corner of the genre, closer to DMC even.

ironcreed

Banned
Seems more like Demon's Souls where you had a shitload of healing items. Except in this you can't be interrupted while using them (since they are used safely in the pause menu). So I have a feeling this game won't be hard at all.

Actually I don't think the game bares much of Dark Souls in it. For one you can jump and climb, which makes for a big difference. The combat is faster and you can even juggle. I'd put it in the a different corner of the genre, closer to DMC even.

The only feasible comparison for me so far is obviously the Pawn system, which is just an evolution of the message system. As far as difficulty goes, that remains to be seen. But considering the guys behind the game, I seriously doubt it will be a cake walk. Maybe not Demon's Souls level of punishing, but plenty of challenging scenarios all the same. I guess we shall see.

semiconscious

Gold Member
Well i'm not surprised. I did get a Demon's Souls vibe when i watched the first gameplay trailer.

same. &, for me, this 'take' on demon's souls has always looked potentially more interesting than dark souls, which, as cool as it is, was basically just a reiteration...

Anteater

It's their take on oblivion kind of open world game too, I think a lot of features in this game might hit all the right notes for me, especially with the class system and being able to change them, etc, and thank god for a game with an actual agile ranger/thief type character that doesn't control exactly the same as other melees with faster attack speed. Also a useable quick archer aiming system.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
One thing they still haven't really expanded on is the quest log. Is it just "slay monsters!" "Do the story!" "go retrieve this thing!" quests, or are they more varied? How many are there? Is it like Elder Scrolls, where there are hundreds of quests?

There are so many things they haven't revealed yet. Even in that 2 hour stream, they didn't show any quests other than "Destroy the ambush!" quests, which seem to pop up randomly as you explore.

One thing they still haven't really expanded on is the quest log. Is it just "slay monsters!" "Do the story!" "go retrieve this thing!" quests, or are they more varied? How many are there? Is it like Elder Scrolls, where there are hundreds of quests?

There are so many things they haven't revealed yet. Even in that 2 hour stream, they didn't show any quests other than "Destroy the ambush!" quests, which seem to pop up randomly as you explore.

To be honest, 98% of the shit you do in Skyrim or Oblivion really just boils down to that anyway.

Eh...

Opening gameplay:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/opening-quest-dragons-dogma/726938

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
To be honest, 98% of the shit you do in Skyrim or Oblivion really just boils down to that anyway.

Eh...

Opening gameplay:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/opening-quest-dragons-dogma/726938

Imo, it's not really about what it ACTUALLY is, and more about what it pretends to be. To me, if there's enough story shielding you from the fact that it's a fetch quest, I can get down with it.

I just hate when you literally get the same quest over and over again.

That opening gameplay is boner-inducing btw.

Anteater

Imo, it's not really about what it ACTUALLY is, and more about what it pretends to be. To me, if there's enough story shielding you from the fact that it's a fetch quest, I can get down with it.

I just hate when you literally get the same quest over and over again.

That opening gameplay is boner-inducing btw.

There are some gimmicky quests like carrying someone to a destination, they mention that sort of thing in some of their previews/interviews, so there are probably more variety to it.

I don't know about quest log though, another thing I'd like to know about is the level progression, stats, and gears, they rarely talk about that kind of thing.

Anteater

I wish they'd talk about the skills progression, 99 levels can't all just be +hp and increasing your damage output, I hope you don't have to grind because you need more hp to survive attacks.

and
1Q8Xg.png

I wish they'd talk about the skills progression, 99 levels can't all just be +hp and increasing your damage output, I hope you don't have to grind because you need more hp to survive attacks.

This is the big thing for me, a robust character progression system (and a decent variety in quests and objectives) are what will make or break a purchase for me. Please don't let me down again CAPCOM :(

ThankeeSai

Definitely one to keep an eye on, I feel.

Big fan of Demon's and Dark Souls, so I hope the claim that this is 2012's Dark Souls holds some truth.

VALKYRAY

Banned
High difficulty is not a good thing. If its trying to copy dark souls then I would stAy as far away from this game as possible. I've beaten demon souls and tried few hours of dark souls, I didn't enjoy em a bit

NBtoaster

So you can jump whenever you like, unlike KoA and Dark Souls? Agility and freedom is a big part of making open worlds fun IMO. I'm interested..

High difficulty is not a good thing. If its trying to copy dark souls then I would stAy as far away from this game as possible. I've beaten demon souls and tried few hours of dark souls, I didn't enjoy em a bit

Thank god that there are still devs out there who don't cater to people like you. And besides I don't think this will be as difficulty as Dark Souls. This game has a pause function where you can use potions if you'd like.

ironcreed

Banned
Video showing environments and animals in the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NESLudfWkU

Good stuff. I am glad that they are showing off how interactive and alive the open world is, as opposed to just being a barren and static monster hunting field. There is plenty of room for down time to just take in the world, explore and mess around. Which of course is something that is a must for an open world game if it is to be complete and as immersive as it should be.

VALKYRAY

Banned
Thank god that there are still devs out there who don't cater to people like you. And besides I don't think this will be as difficulty as Dark Souls. This game has a pause function where you can use potions if you'd like.

Potions are not free and dying often is not fun.
Skyrim sold a lot better than dark souls. It's a fact. People like skyrim but not dark souls

Top Bottom