• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion screens

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
924363_20050318_screen001.jpg

924363_20050318_screen002.jpg

924363_20050318_screen003.jpg

These shots look fine and all, but I have not seen more than one creature on screen in them, makes me a tad worried, where is ANY sort of interaction, also HUD-less screen make me cry bullshit.

The bluish lighting in that dungeon pic looks nice. Reminds me of parts of King's Field The Ancient City, a game that developers should study to figure out how to make dungeons graphically interesting and varied.

Johnas

I am quite fond of that second screenshot. But isn't the forest one the SAME one we've been looking at for months now?

pj

Banned
What's with the blockiness in some oblivion pics?

The cathedral one in this thread has it on the ground, and one of the forest pics has it on some trees. It can't be jpeg compression because the blocks conform to the landscape..

Edit: The first pic in this thread has it too, on the ceiling

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
wobedraggled said:
also HUD-less screen make me cry bullshit.

There's a console command called "tm", which is short for "Toggle Menus", that turns off the HUD. We haven't released any screenshots with the HUD or any other user interface component yet.

SteveMeister said:
There's a console command called "tm", which is short for "Toggle Menus", that turns off the HUD. We haven't released any screenshots with the HUD or any other user interface component yet.

We, as in you work there?

Well, when can "WE" as in the gamer see this in motion so we can stop complaining?

The forest looks lovely, I'd like to see that under some dynamic lighting conditions, at dusk or early morning.

The rest are meh and the enemy is spectacularly crap (pun intended).

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
wobedraggled said:
We, as in you work there?

Well, when can "WE" as in the gamer see this in motion so we can stop complaining?

Yes, I work at Bethesda, and you'll see the game in motion when PR is ready to show you the game in motion.

And what's with the belligerent attitude? What'd "we" ever do to you?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
SteveMeister said:
Yes, I work at Bethesda, and you'll see the game in motion when PR is ready to show you the game in motion.

can you tell the people at gaf why the creature designs suck so badly compared to the environments.

pj

Banned
Ancestor_of_Erdrick said:
I am quite fond of that second screenshot. But isn't the forest one the SAME one we've been looking at for months now?

No, you silly goose. The first forest we saw had PINE trees in it, this one is pinetreeless

SteveMeister said:

Nothing... personally you make pretty cool games, just poor choice of console support ;)

I'm just in a mood, don't mind me

Monk

Banned
I think you can blame it on Battlespire, that is always going to haunt you. :p

Anyway, if you can answer some questions, I havew only one major complaint with Morrowind. It was the way you level up, you could just do alchemy and level yourself to 10 just by doing that. Is that element going to be improved?

Pimpbaa

Character/creature design was horrible in morrowind, and this definitely looks like a step up from that. Although the creatures in shots I've seen thus far are still pretty bad. Still extremely looking forward to this regardless. I wish Bethesda would release screenshots of the different classes and races you can make your character.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm hoping for a "Jurassic Park-like Dinosaur Roar" as an Argonian battle cry...hell...make them look like the JP dinos as well

Pimpbaa

SteveMeister said:
This guy's my favorite of the creature's we've released screenshots of. Daedroth.

obliv10B.jpg

Since you work there, just want to fire off a quick question. Will the game have an extensive character creation like in morrowind?

pj

Banned
SteveMeister made the worst mistake a developer on a forum can make.

Answering a question

Asking questions is pretty pointless.. Any info that hasn't been released in a PR statement or interview probably isn't going to be released on a forum, unless it's incredibly small and unimportant

pj

Banned
Mike Works said:
Environments:

Elder Scrolls > Unreal 3

Character Models:

Unreal 3 > Elder Scrolls

That's the way I see it.

Yeah. Bethesda's character models could be a lot better. That turd monster is BEGGING for fur shading. I think halo 2 proved that you can't bump map hair..

DSN2K

nothing really to compare yet with besides Unreal Engine 3 on those levels, will interested to see just how good these games look when we starting seeing stuff from other developers for example Capcom(who make the best character models period imo) with this sort of tech.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
SteveMeister said:

I apologize for thes fucking morons. They wouldnt know what good graphics or good art was if it bit them on the ass. Keep up the good work.

Yusaku

^^^ Ass kisser ^^^

Bestheda is horrible at making any organic creatures, especially human. No amount of technology is gonna hide that.

Not to say it wont be good, but it's sad when the user community needs to release their own model packs for your game to make it look decent.

Pellham

Banned
hey now why'd you have to go and ruin the thread by telling stevemeister he made a mistake? :p

steve, feel free to continue answering questions. :D

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Yusaku said:
^^^ Ass kisser ^^^

Bestheda is horrible at making any organic creatures, especially human. No amount of technology is gonna hide that.

Not to say it wont be good, but it's sad when the user community needs to release their own model packs for your game to make it look decent.

So i am an ass kisser because i like what i see ? Ok sure.... give us some of the meds you are on.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
the forests in this game are the most beautiful thing ever... wow

Buggy Loop

Sorry to go back on the subject of unreal 3 tree demo but, ES4's forests shits all over U3's demo. Just thinking of having an rpg with the size of morrowind and walk down a forest like this, gives me a huge freaking grin on my face.

op_ivy

Buggy Loop said:
Sorry to go back on the subject of unreal 3 tree demo but, ES4's forests shits all over U3's demo. Just thinking of having an rpg with the size of morrowind and walk down a forest like this, gives me a huge freaking grin on my face.

yeah, but i doubt the engine for this could handle the scale that ue 3.0 can handle... like that city fly by in the GDC demo

Buggy Loop

Havent seen the city flyby, any videos?

And i would hope that they keep at least a massive size for ES4, morrowind's size is what put it on the map, no huge world = no sale. I expect it to be smaller but it still has to be huge.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Beautiful enviroments, and the 2nd creature is great, but the 1st one? GOD DAMN I've seen better in this generation

op_ivy

Buggy Loop said:
Havent seen the city flyby, any videos?

And i would hope that they keep at least a massive size for ES4, morrowind's size is what put it on the map, no huge world = no sale. I expect it to be smaller but it still has to be huge.

i'm sure the world map will be massive, but i doubt you'll really be able to overlook vast tracks of forest or cities with this engine, but i'd love to be proved wrong :)

ue 3.0 - gears of war?

ue3_030905.jpg

vids (#4 is where the above was captured from)
http://www.1up.com/do/download?cId=3138759

In a gameworld as large as the Elder Scrolls games are, I think it's mighty impressive. However, they really do need to hire some additional artists to help with their creatures.

Top Bottom