• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion screens

peedi said:
Well, considering all that's been discussed is the series' facelift, what else am I supposed to ask? I do hope that they discuss more substantive changes to the series. I will say that Gothic 2 beautifully realized what Morrowind attempted, and I'd like to see the Morrowind series take pointers from that exemplary achievement and amend its broken gameplay.

Read up, Futami

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Steve, if you want to get GAF interested in Oblivion might I make a few artistic suggestions: If that doesn't work, just slap Mizuguchi's name on the box.

I'm not the hugest fan of Bethesda art, but I'll be goddamned if that wasn't the funniest photoshop in a while.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
peedi said:
I'm wondering why your team is fixated on advancing the graphics of the series, while ignoring the broken gameplay -- interchangeable npc interaction, collect-a-thon fetch quests, and a lifeless world.

While I think Morrowind arrived on a wave of potential, what culminated was 20 minutes of a fascinating idea that soon degraded into a huge bore.

*rolls eyes* :lol

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
peedi said:
I'm wondering why your team is fixated on advancing the graphics of the series, while ignoring the broken gameplay -- interchangeable npc interaction, collect-a-thon fetch quests, and a lifeless world.

While I think Morrowind arrived on a wave of potential, what culminated was 20 minutes of a fascinating idea that soon degraded into a huge bore.

Well, if all we employed were artists and graphics programmers, you might have a point :)

However you should read up on the title. There are many articles talking about the substantial changes we're making to the game. The graphics are the way they are because they HAVE to be, simply to fit in to the titles of the next generation. It's a requirement, plain & simple.

But in addition, we've overhauled pretty much every other system in the game. The quest and dialogue system. Combat (one of my areas of responsibility is combat AI). NPC AI in general (every single NPC in Oblivion can have schedules -- and that's putting it very, very simply. Pathfinding. Stealth. Magic. A much greater amount of time and attention to detail is being put into every facet of the game, bearing in mind what was successful in Morrowind and what was less so.

So search around, read about the game, and then let me know what you think :)

Peedi, you're an idiot. sorry but it had to be said.

I mean, have you even read any of the dev interviews or articles on the game before touting such garbage?

btw SteveMeister, the game is looking great, I can't wait for it definately at the top of my PC must have's!. Any idea of when you may release it? and please say its released same day worldwide...atleast same day in US/Europe.

cheers

golem

SteveMeister said:
Point two: It's a troll. In Elder Scrolls Lore, going back as far as Arena, which was released in 1994, trolls in the Elder Scrolls games have been three-eyed simian creatures. Personally, I think it's good to be different. While Oblivion is going more towards traditional fantasy than the very alien landscape and bestiary of Morrowind, it's still an Elder Scrolls game, and the creatures are going to be within our own lore.
needs fur shading ;P

To be honest, considering the open ended nature of the series and the number of options one is liable to encounter in playing the game(all these numerous options having to be created and programmed into the game by the developer) I think they are doing an excellent job, just judging from the screenshots.
I mean, this isn't some walk on a straight path to connect cut-scenes type of game where all you do is look at pre rendered backdrops and anime/comic book inspired characters.

The one huge thing which imo CANNOT be skimped on is the animation. If everything is stiff and dodgy in its animation that would really REALLY be a let down.
Imo, that is far more important than "fur shading".

COCKLES

being watched
Steve, if you want to get GAF interested in Oblivion might I make a few artistic suggestions:

oblivionart.jpg

oblivionart2.jpg

oblivionart3.jpg

If that doesn't work, just slap Mizuguchi's name on the box.

Lol. I was going to do the same PS joke, but my Photoshop crashed 1/2 through editing in a Sailor Moon character on the Turd Gorilla. :lol

pj

Banned
SteveMeister said:
I'm not sure why some people are so convinced the creature designs are "horrible"... we have a lot of very experienced and very talented artists working on this game -- the team is *much* larger than Morrowind's. I think the troll (the three-eyed thing) is pretty cool, and while a fur shader would look nice on it, I don't see what's wrong with it without one. I think it's a unique and interesting-looking troll, rather than yet another Tolkien-inspired one.

I don't think the design of it is the actual problem. The face is pretty intimidating and the hands look neat.. The problem is, it looks like A TURD MONSTER. It needs fur shading because you can't bump map hair.

Also, sewers are where you'd expect to see reptile like creatures.. not furry ones

Azih

Eh, didn't like Morrowind (thought it sucked frankly) and Oblivion seems more of the same. Bethseda's basic direction is just not for me at all.

Steve, if you want to get GAF interested in Oblivion might I make a few artistic suggestions:

oblivionart.jpg

oblivionart2.jpg

oblivionart3.jpg

If that doesn't work, just slap Mizuguchi's name on the box.

:lol :lol :lol

Not only was that funny, it had to be done.

I'm looking forward to the next Elder Scrolls Steve. Keep up the good work.

Borys

Banned
I slid another one in there. Animal Crossing Oblivion.

http://home.comcast.net/~pocketfudge/oblivionart5.jpg

:lol

Thats one point for you Xbot, however you totally missed the point of people's bitching.

The TURD Man is awful. You don't bumpmap a flat fur texture. It looks beyond plastic shit/retarded.

You wan't good looking fur look at Star Fox Adv. and Conker (Xbox). If this gen consoles can do it I'm sure next gen also. Bumpmap knight's armor, bumpmap tree's bark but fur shade fur.

Everything else is A+ OK in this screenshots. Turd Man looks like shit, sorry.

eso76

Me i thought morrowind was one of the biggest, most fascinating titles ever, and there was nothing boring about it.

Planning your next journey on the (paper) map, deciding the road to take, what to take with you, and just walking alone for entire minutes, in the daylight, at night, just looking at the scenery...I'll agree fogging and repetitiveness of some of the environments took some of the magic away, but if they can make the environments more 'recognizable' and interesting by "advancing the graphics" that would make the experience much more satisfying already.

Morrowind needed it's pauses and it's slow timing to build on the atmosphere and the whole game concept is based on the total freedom you're allowed;
things someone would like to see "fixed".
Which of course means "changed" according to their tastes, while enraging Elder's scroll fans...
Wisen up guys, this game obviously wasn't meant for you, and you'll agree it's quite arrogant to expect bethesda to remove some of it's key features to please you instead of keeping what fans of the series like...

That would be like i asked, dunno, miyamoto to FIX Super Mario 128 by removing jumps and platforms which i hate...

peedi

Banned
CrimsonSkies said:
Flawed game as well.

Flawed as it may be, the game still offered open-ended gameplay, capitvating quests, fully voiced npcs, diverse weaponry, and incredibly varied enemy designs.

pj

Banned
peedi said:
Flawed as it may be, the game still offered open-ended gameplay, capitvating quests, fully voiced npcs, diverse weaponry, and incredibly varied enemy designs.

Since you like fully voiced npcs enough to bold it, you'll be happy to hear that oblivion has them too. Although I'm sure you've read that in the extensive research which qualified you to post this gem:

peedi said:

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The Elder Scrolls series has been an ongoing triumph as far as I'm concerned (Battlegrounds aside, by all reports.) Daggerfall was probably the first RPG after Betrayal at Krondor and Complete Ultima VII that DOMINATED my time and thoughts.

I'm very much looking forward to Oblivion, and am excited by the changes being incorporated. My only complaint about Morrowind was that it was a step back as far as some of the gameplay is concerned. Exploration was a huge step up, however. Daggerfall occasionally became a bit of a grind thanks to it's constantly randomized wildernesses and, to a certain degree, dungeons.

Keep up the great work, Bethsoft!

(Anyone know of those Mobile TES games ever came out, or what phone carriers/models they work with?)

SantaC

Borys said:

Thats one point for you Xbot, however you totally missed the point of people's bitching.

The TURD Man is awful. You don't bumpmap a flat fur texture. It looks beyond plastic shit/retarded.

You wan't good looking fur look at Star Fox Adv. and Conker (Xbox). If this gen consoles can do it I'm sure next gen also. Bumpmap knight's armor, bumpmap tree's bark but fur shade fur.

Everything else is A+ OK in this screenshots. Turd Man looks like shit, sorry.

:lol How do you like em turds?

SantaC

Redbeard said:
Why would a troll in a dungeon have nice, fluffy fur? It would be damp and matted.

That's not how a troll looks like. It looks like something out of a scooby doo show.

COCKLES

being watched
Perhaps it actually is a creature made from turds?

The beast from the bowels....or son of the shit king from Conker.

SantaC

Mejilan said:
How do you know what a troll looks like?

I'm curious.

Well yes since Troll is a swedish name(and norwegian), and a scandinvaian fantasy creature it resembles something like this:

06-troll-before.jpg
or this:

078%20-%20Day%205%20-%20Voss%20-%20Lisa%20and%20troll.JPG

Trolls lived in forests or caves, and not underground dungeons.

Mejilan

Sorry dude, trolls never lived.

They're a fictitious construct, and as such, there is no clear, defining mandate that requires that they look one way over another. If Bethsoft wanna create an ugly turd monster (and it is ugly, and turdish) with 3 eyes and claws and call it a troll, we have no place to argue. :lol

pj

Banned
Redbeard said:
Why would a troll in a dungeon have nice, fluffy fur? It would be damp and matted.

Why would a dungeon monster have fur at all? Dungeons/sewers are for reptiles..

But for this particular example, I'd say looks SHOULD outweigh accuracy. I'd rather look at conker than a 7' pile of feces with a face and claws.

SantaC

Mejilan said:
Sorry dude, trolls never lived.

They're a fictitious construct, and as such, there is no clear, defining mandate that requires that they look one way over another. If Bethsoft wanna create an ugly turd monster (and it is ugly, and turdish) with 3 eyes and claws and call it a troll, we have no place to argue. :lol

No Kidding, but you know what? Dragons never lived either yet people know how a dragon looks like.

As for not having a place to argue - I strongly suggest you reading more about Trolls in Scandinavian folklore here:

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/t/tr/troll.htm

Mejilan

SantaCruZer said:
No Kidding, but you know what? Dragons never lived either yet people know how a dragon looks like.

In so much that it has large teeth, a tail, and MAYBE even horns and wings.

There is no one defined way to design a dragon. You might see the generic D&D archetype, or a chinese serpent dragon, for example.

Those are two wildly different designs right there.

Hell, I can draw a man-sized reptilian bipedal with wings, teeth, horns, and draconian features, and call that a dragon.

pj

Banned
You guys are latching onto the name "troll" when the person who said that is an AI programmer, it probably won't be called a troll in the game..

SantaC

Mejilan said:
In so much that it has large teeth, a tail, and MAYBE even horns and wings.

There is no one defined way to design a dragon. You might see the generic D&D archetype, or a chinese serpent dragon, for example.

Those are two wildly different designs right there.

Hell, I can draw a man-sized reptilian bipedal with wings, teeth, horns, and draconian features, and call that a dragon.

Sorry, but I edited my post, I suggest that you should read the updated part :)

Mejilan

SteveMeister said:
Point two: It's a troll. In Elder Scrolls Lore, going back as far as Arena, which was released in 1994, trolls in the Elder Scrolls games have been three-eyed simian creatures. Personally, I think it's good to be different. While Oblivion is going more towards traditional fantasy than the very alien landscape and bestiary of Morrowind, it's still an Elder Scrolls game, and the creatures are going to be within our own lore.

Admittedly, I haven't ready every single post in this thread, but this one from Steve seems to suggest that it is, indeed, a troll.

Regarding Scandinavian trolls: THEY ARE FICTITIOUS CREATURES. I don't care who "invented" them first, historically/mythologically speaking. There is no such thing as a troll, there never was, there never will be, and as such, there is no one way to DESIGN a troll, visually speaking.

Edit 2 - SantaCruzer. From your own freaking link:

In computer games with a fantasy theme, trolls appear in many shapes and dispositions.

pj

Banned
Mejilan said:
Admittedly, I haven't ready every single post in this thread, but this one from Steve seems to suggest that it is, indeed, a troll.

Yes, and he's an AI programmer.

Morrowind creature names:

cliff racer
golden saint
daedroth
bone walker
guar
alit
riekling
scrib
durzog
ogrim

The names are pretty creative, troll is boring. He probably called a troll for convenience.. or because there isn't a final name yet, or because he's not allowed to say the real name.

SantaC

Mejilan said:

Regarding Scandinavian trolls: THEY ARE FICTITIOUS CREATURES. I don't care who "invented" them first, historically/mythologically speaking. There is no such thing as a troll, there never was, there never will be, and as such, there is no one way to DESIGN a troll, visually speaking.

gee don't get upset I never said that there is a 100% way of designing a troll, what I meant is that maybe its design should follow certain outlines based on fantasy. You don't create a giant slimeblob (this was just an example) or something and call it a troll etc.

Mejilan

pj, I'm pretty well versed in the TES series. I distinctly recall 'orc' making the bestiary as well, so 'troll' is certainly not out of the question.

SC, your turn to read my edit. :)

pj

Banned
Mejilan said:
pj, I'm pretty well versed in the TES series. I distinctly recall 'orc' making the bestiary as well, so 'troll' is certainly not out of the question.

Orc is a character race.. not a creature name

Mejilan

pj325is said:
Orc is a character race.. not a creature name

Characters aren't creatures? They also show up as enemies, regardless of whether they repesent a playable race or not.

SantaC

Mejilan said:

SC, your turn to read my edit. :)

ok let's end this pointless debate. I was just saying how I have been told how a troll resembled when I was a kid by reading old folklore tales and stuff. I am not saying that's correct, but that's why I argued, sorry :)

I guess everybody can have a picture how a troll looks like.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Mike Works said:
We've gone from arguing about the realism of trees to the realism of trolls.

I don't know if that's better or worse.

I love how anything with "western" art gets flamed to death. This stuff looks gorgeous compared to Morrowind, where poor design decisions (limited texture sizes on character models, IIRC) resulted in a whole hell of a lot of shitty looking characters.

pj

Banned
Mejilan said:
Characters aren't creatures? They also show up as enemies, regardless of whether they repesent a playable race or not.

No, they're not creatures. Check out the TESCS, there's a tab for creatures and orcs are not in it

Mejilan

SantaCruZer said:
ok let's end this pointless debate. I was just saying how I have been told how a troll resembled when I was a kid by reading old folklore tales and stuff. I am not saying that's correct, but that's why I argued, sorry :)

No problem. I certainly understand your point. I just think that in the case of a totally made up construct, there is no basis for criticizing creative license. From a design standpoint, I think that troll should (and probably will be) cleaned up by Bethsoft.

Top Bottom