• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Final Fantasy XV cam videos - Luminous Studio tools/tech + Open world exploration

eUnzdL8.gif
I fucking love this gif.

It just looks fucking stupid how Noctis is running around in all black in such a sunny field. Noctis by far has the shittiest FF character design.
Yeah. But with only 4 characters, one advantage could be that the artists could be freed up to give them clothing or armour customization. Different outfits for different climates or battlefields would be cool.

Falk

that puzzling face
Is he talking about the trailer music ?

Its great music ,but I don't think it fits as an overworld/field theme.

Or maybe it will be adapted differently in the final game.

-it's not "Gratia Mundi"
-it's obviously not supposed to be the overworld music (an overworld theme that repeats every minute nowadays is just not comprehend-able tbqh)
-Trust Yoko Shimomura to know what she's doing

as an aside I know for a fact there are more music resources than what's been used in these videos so I'm a little surprised at the music choice here

HeelPower

-it's not "Gratia Mundi"
-it's not the overworld music

as an aside I know for a fact there are more music resources than what's been used in these videos so I'm a little surprised at the music choice here

what's Gratia Mundi...

Whatever yeah...Yoko is life.She more than knows what she's doing lol

The only thing that's worrying right me (and worrying probably isn't the right word) is that guardrail along the side of the road. If they had just shown Noctis jump/climb over it, I would be 100% certain that everything I'm seeing is explorable. But no. In that last video they just had Noctis stare at the guardrail. Taunting me!

Exentryk

I got fucking chills when they got out of the car and then just simply stepped off the road into the grass. That actually cemented the fact that this is a real game for me.

Now for that third video. Fuck, this made my week.

Yeah, I held my breath there when Noctis got off the car, and then just jumped off in to the fields. Sooo good.

Also, yeah, you can jump. It looks okay for now I guess? Wonder if they still have double jump?

Sean*O

Everything about this game appeals to me except that damn hack n' slash combat. I hope they do away with that aspect or make it optional.

-it's not "Gratia Mundi"
-it's obviously not supposed to be the overworld music (an overworld theme that repeats every minute nowadays is just not comprehend-able tbqh)

Falk, you are the only guy on GAF that I'm jealous of.

-it's not "Gratia Mundi"

I've heard it referred to as Gratia Mundi. What's it called then?

I do trust Yoko Shimomura. However, several of my favorite games fall into that very trap.

Famassu

Everything about this game appeals to me except that damn hack n' slash combat. I hope they do away with that aspect or make it optional.
It's not really hack 'n slash, it has a bit more depth than that. And it's not all that buttonsmashy, as you can at least do basic attacks by just holding the attack-buttons down.

I do trust Yoko Shimomura. However, several of my favorite games fall into that very trap.
It doesn't have a name yet. Only Somnus (the OG trailer song) and Omnis Lacrima have names.

Exentryk

A fan recreated this track before we had the official version, and he called it Gratia Mundi. The official name has not been revealed.

Jac_Solar

I wonder how big the world will be? In any case, based on the tech video, the actual demo looked sort of like a tech demo -- the way the "highway" is raised on the terrain, the lack of variety (Could be that they just showed an area with as little content as possible.) in settlements, people, general stuff. It looked like they plopped a few enemies, a highway, some buildings and flora and fauna down on a terrain they had generated from a random heightmap.

So far, they've only shown a single city, a cave/dungeon and this worldmap area, right?

Hedge

That cave shot looks amazing! I hope there are a lot of those around.
I was hoping there'd be footage of summons, but I guess that was a bit too enthusiastic of me to think. :p

Famassu

I wonder how big the world will be? In any case, based on the tech video, the actual demo looked sort of like a tech demo -- the way the "highway" is raised on the terrain, the lack of variety (Could be that they just showed an area with as little content as possible.) in settlements, people, general stuff. It looked like they plopped a few enemies, a highway, some buildings and flora and fauna down on a terrain they had generated from a random heightmap.

So far, they've only shown a single city, a cave/dungeon and this worldmap area, right?
The area you see in these vids and that will be playable in the demo is only one small part of one region of the game. The demo is called Episode Duscae in reference to this "Duscae" region. I'm assuming this is the region near/surrounding Lucis, Noctis' home city.

They've shown two cities.

I remember it was pretty well done in that FF7 Psp game.. cantremember the name. Prequel with Zack

Yeah I actually think crisis core looks somewhat enjoyable. I also liked FFXIII's battle system. I'm talking like FFVII or Pokemon status battle system

The area you see in these vids and that will be playable in the demo is only one small part of one region of the game. The demo is called Episode Duscae in reference to this "Duscae" region. I'm assuming this is the region near/surrounding Lucis, Noctis' home city.

They've shown two cities.

they said small

Famassu

That cave shot looks amazing! I hope there are a lot of those around.
I was hoping there'd be footage of summons, but I guess that was a bit too enthusiastic of me to think. :p
I'd think Summon reveals will be saved for big events like Leviathan in the E3 2013 trailer (and Adamantoise as another big monster in the TGS 2014 trailer, though not technically a summon), not be shown off too casually in a short gameplay demonstration like this.

Lucent

It's crazy that they were like "okay, we're taking Nomura off the project and now the game is gonna get released and we're giving you a demo with Type-0" and now we're getting fairly regular stuff on the game now. Can't wait to try the demo and then hopefully anticipate the crap out of the game.

A fan recreated this track before we had the official version, and he called it Gratia Mundi. The official name has not been revealed.

It's not really hack 'n slash, it has a bit more depth than that. And it's not all that buttonsmashy, as you can at least do basic attacks by just holding the attack-buttons down.

It doesn't have a name yet. Only Somnus (the OG trailer song) and Omnis Lacrima have names.

Ah, thanks.

Exentryk

Summons probably aren't implemented in to the new environment yet. Since they are just adding basic stuff like jump etc, summons, controllable airships etc are likely still work in progress. Best not to expect them for now.

RangerBAD

Summons probably aren't implemented in to the new environment yet. Since they are just adding basic stuff like jump etc, summons, controllable airships etc are likely still work in progress. Best not to expect them for now.

I really don't think there will be useable airships, but I really hope I'm wrong.

LastNac

You can just run down the road, fuck the car

AlHIhj4.gif

Hot Damn!

This might sound strange, but amazing visuals aside, the fact that the others don't just instantly come to a stop but instead do a little jog in animation is blowing me away right now.

Wow...

Dark_castle

Interesting to note that none of the video released so far has shown mini-map. The only time a map was brought up was during E3 last year, but it was more like a map that you refer occasionally than something smaller hanging on the screen all the time.

LuuKyK

I really don't think there will be useable airships, but I really hope I'm wrong.

I think they pretty much confirmed they will be in the game some years ago. But then again that was back when Nomura was directing it and the game underwent several changes since then, so who knows. I do think they will be in somehow, even if not directly usable by the player.

Famassu

I doubt most summons would just casually hang around in the open in the (presumably) first overworld areas of the game even if they were implemented/activated. :D At some point in the long distant past Nomura implied that there would be plenty of secret boss battles for you to find, some of which would be summons, so I'd imagine some summon like Ifrit might reside in some huge ass cave which has an entrance by a volcano or something instead of prancing around in the forest shown in the demo. :p

Exentryk

We should find out soon enough. I believe the French sites asked this question to Tabata.

I doubt most summons would just casually hang around in the open in the (presumably) first overworld areas of the game even if they were implemented/activated. :D At some point in the long distant past Nomura implied that there would be plenty of secret boss battles for you to find, some of which would be summons, so I'd imagine some summon like Ifrit might reside in some huge ass cave which has an entrance by a volcano or something instead of prancing around in the forest shown in the demo. :p

Them FF8 feels...

HeelPower

Do you think Noctis still has suit ?

I want the suit too..No matter how ridiculous it looks in the wild or during combat lol

killatopak

Interesting to note that none of the video released so far has shown mini-map. The only time a map was brought up was during E3 last year, but it was more like a map that you refer occasionally than something smaller hanging on the screen all the time.
That would be nice in a exploratory way but that will just make me angry when I'm doing side quest or finding collectables in a rush.

Either way is good for me though. I'm a less hud kind of guy anyway.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Eww, lots of pop in. I can't stand pop in animals, plants, texures.

Pop in - between 7:15 - 7:20, right side. See the animals pop in. I know it's not being released for a while, but I hope it's fixed.

Dark_castle

TBH I think controllable airship might have been a goner, BUT there might be a few moments here and there where we can seize control of enemy's airship like we've seen in E3 2013.

Stark

Banned
TBH I think controllable airship might have been a goner, BUT there might be a few moments here and there where we can seize control of enemy's airship like we've seen in E3 2013.

We didn't really see it anyway. I'm going to guess that is the big & special thing for the demo Tabata hyped up today.

HeelPower

if you can control one of these mini-airships to explore it would be glorious indeed.

I think it might be easy enough to implement since they have the AI using them anyway.
KQUnHQ5.gif

Lucent

Damn. Just watching the first video, but when they went down the hill after getting out of the car and was looking at all of the land, I was like "haha poor Destny..."

I can't believe how big that looks though.

Famassu

I think they pretty much confirmed they will be in the game some years ago. But then again that was back when Nomura was directing it and the game underwent several changes since then, so who knows. I do think they will be in somehow, even if not directly usable by the player.
I don't think the game has undergone all that many changes when it comes to stuff like that. To me it seems like the combat system/how you control the action is the biggest thing changed (at least from a gameplay perspective, they might've also made some changes to the story, i.e. add a romance), but even that does retain a lot of what Nomura was aiming for with Noctis since the beginning (Noctis still largely has similar moves/skills like the phantom swords, zero-shifting and weapon switching that were shown even back in the January 2011 trailer and in CGI form in some of the very first trailers, even if how you execute them is different) and all the other stuff Nomura talked in the past like huge open world areas, drivable cars, summons, chocobos, tons of extra dungeons to find & explore etc. seem to still be in the game, so I'm hopeful all the other stuff he's talked about, like airships, are still in as well.

Top Bottom