• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Final Fantasy XV cam videos - Luminous Studio tools/tech + Open world exploration

Sorry man, had to be said. I noticed it instantly and was like "WTF... I hope the game doesn't load like that while on foot". Thank God it doesn't, but I really hope they iron out that pop-in.

Reminds me that at the beginning of the TGS video you can see Noctis clothes clipping through the car =P

I don't mind the pop in personally (or the clipping), as long as it doesn't do something dramatical (like loading when the building is right by your side).

Go_Ly_Dow

Yeah. Of course there are elements of fantasy within the design. The creatures and certain aspects of the landscape do give you the impression that this is a Final Fantasy game. However, I suppose that only exemplifies in my mind that some things just seem a little out of place.

Like when he is running in the forest and comes across this building.

Kpja41U.jpg

My first thought was, "Oh! That's a very ordinary looking building". It just didn't seem quite right to me. I kind of expect to see a quaint little cottage with a thatched roof and smoke coming out of the chimney. Or a design that is a bit more other-worldly.

I still think the game looks amazing though. And I expect the art-direction will be of the highest quality regardless.

this is the area just outside Noctis kingdom which is the one and only modern kingdom in the world.

there are 4-5 other kingdoms.

one of which has this art direction.....

LuuKyK

Its giving me FFVII vibes.

FFVII had very humbly designed and grounded areas in the game.

Looks like Lightning Returns' ending set the tone for XV then. :D

Sorry.
Sorry man, had to be said. I noticed it instantly and was like "WTF... I hope the game doesn't load like that while on foot". Thank God it doesn't, but I really hope they iron out that pop-in.

Yeah, I think its fine. They have plenty of time to solve that issue, especially considering most assets were just used for this demo.

duckroll

Anyone want to put together a quick list of links to all the videos and short descriptions of when shit starts and what's in each one so I can update the OP since the guy seems to be away?

Dark_castle

this is the area just outside Noctis kingdom which is the one and only modern kingdom in the world.

there are 4-5 other kingdoms.

one of which has this art direction.....

And that was also taken during E3, so the lighting and shit has been severely improved, so it should now looks even more gorgeous.

Exentryk

5 cities, so likely at least more than 4 regions connecting to each area, right?

Yeah, should be quite a few. We also saw names of areas within Lucis like Nihilsomno and VallisAcerba that Noctis was driving towards in old trailers. Man, how much are they adding?! :D

Maedhros

I think the video looks boring as fuck. No, really.

Pretty nice vistas, but nothing to do at all. Except battle battle battle, if you want/can. Hopefully some sort of fast travel will be available, I hate stupidly giant open world games.

LuuKyK

Anyone want to put together a quick list of links to all the videos and short descriptions of when shit starts and what's in each one so I can update the OP since the guy seems to be away?

Exploration Part 1. -> Raw footage. Exploration only. Night and day battles. Gameplay starts at 6:50.

Exploration Part 2. -> Raw footage. Fishing mini-game and airships. Starts at the start ;).

Tech demo showcase. -> Has character models, exploration and battle gameplay. Shows how the Luminous engine works. Starts at 1:35.

Edit: Done editing Duck. Feel free to use it. :)

Am I crazy for thinking that the gameplay video is the best in game graphics I've seen for any current gen title? Because dear lord it looks good.

Pretty nice vistas, but nothing to do at all. Except battle battle battle, if you want/can. Hopefully some sort of fast travel will be available, I hate stupidly giant open world games.

They said at the beginning they took off events and other stuff from the map to just show exploration.

And they confirmed mini games as well (like fishing).

The video mentions at the start that they haven't implemented events in the field yet. They said that they'll be adding exciting things in the final version.

Dark_castle

The creatures/events/minigames/side content were intentionally disabled during this technical demo.

Maedhros

They said at the beginning they took off events and other stuff from the map to just show exploration.

And they confirmed mini games as well (like fishing).

The video mentions at the start that they haven't implemented events in the field yet. They said that they'll be adding exciting things in the final version.

The creatures/events/minigames/side content were intentionally disabled during this technical demo.

Well, let's hope then.

Mortemis

Banned
My only issue is that there seems to be some hardcore popping during while driving the car. You can clearly see objects appearing out of nowhere and the environment literally drawing itself as you go. I hope they can fix this in the final game.

Couldn't help but notice that at first either. It does seem like (?) they improved grass popping from the TGS trailer so there's definitely hope they'll get to it.

HeelPower

Are they remaking(or making)accordo ? was E3 2013 demo was indeed just CG ?

It looks like there are no textures or water applied yet ? I could be wrong.Or maybe they're still adding new areas to it.

The scale is huge.

Raynes

It just looks fucking stupid how Noctis is running around in all black in such a sunny field. Noctis by far has the shittiest FF character design.

Are they remaking(or making)accordo ? was E3 2013 demo was indeed just CG ?

It looks like there are no textures or water applied yet ? I could be wrong.Or maybe they're still adding new areas to it.

The scale is huge.

They're showing Luminous in this video, you see a lot of the technical stuff, they probably disabled textures there to show the lighting cycle.

duckroll

Exploration Part 1. -> Raw footage. Exploration only. Night and day battles. Gameplay starts at 6:50.

Exploration Part 2. -> Raw footage. Fishing mini-game and airships. Starts at the start ;).

Tech demo showcase. -> Has character models, exploration and battle gameplay. Shows how the Luminous engine works. Starts at 1:35.

Edit: Done editing Duck. Feel free to use it. :)

There are only 3 videos in total? I'll update if that's all there is. I haven't been following after the first two...

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Wow, the game seems surprisingly scary at night time.

The Argus

I'm such a sucker for good grass and general flora. I bought The Forest just for that reason. But damn, this looks even more incredible.

sublimit

Banned
Besides the main big cities it would be nice if we could find some small towns/villages once in a while while we explore the world..

Falk

that puzzling face
There are only 3 videos in total? I'll update if that's all there is. I haven't been following after the first two...

In a few hours there's gonna be a Square Enix direct thingoo too, so I'm not sure you wanna invest all that time into the OP right now.

orioto

Good Art™
It just looks fucking stupid how Noctis is running around in all black in such a sunny field. Noctis by far has the shittiest FF character design.

Nomura would make them all shirtless but he's not there anymore! he let an open shirt guy at least!

Honestly I couldn't help but notice this as well. He sticks out pretty badly in comparison to the art design of the rest of the world. He looks out of place standing next to everything.

I don't think the design is bad actually just it doesn't seem to fit in with the design of everything else.

Jagsrock

Banned
Wow that open world looks fantastic and the character animations are so damn smooth. I wasn't really hyped for this before but it looks like a must buy now.

chadboban

Night time exploration looks fun.
It does, I just hope there's a way to aim the flashlight a little higher when Noctis is running since it seems to focus on the ground. I guess not being able to see too far in front of you does add an element of danger to nighttime exploration though.

Top Bottom