• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Forza 5 gameplay

velociraptor

Yeah..I wouldn't be too worried about the way these driving games look at the moment.
The dev's have 2 full months left till launch.

What do they usually need to optimise ? I'm guessing enough time.

I personally would expect games to improve visually, not take a drastic U-turn and veer off into a sidewall.

derFeef

Yeah..I wouldn't be too worried about the way these driving games look at the moment.
The dev's have 2 full months left till launch.

What do they usually need to optimise ? I'm guessing enough time.

And they already look great, just need some polish in some areas. Forza 5 already looks very good so I am not worried at the slightest about the graphics of the game at least - there are some other parts that need some attention, or at least clarification.

I personally would expect games to improve visually, not take a drastic U-turn and veer off into a sidewall.

What game did that?

Theecliff

Banned
Unfortunately the whole MS debacle has fried people's brains. It's like anything from MS is meh and jaggies festooned and rubbish, while anything from Sony is absolute gold!

Sure, people have the right to be angry at MS, and yes, even worryingly hateful, but c'mon, enough with the bullshit already and move on...
I'm assuming you didn't wander into any Driveclub threads following E3 then? Not that I'm saying it's ok that some people are trolling this thread, but it might shock some of you that similar things have happened in PS4 threads.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
So is this actually a better video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7qeAuUbO78) or are people just trolling? I can't tell with the internet any more.

BTW: CBOAT said that there was a bug introduced with the latest build of the XB1 graphics drivers that dropped performance by a large margin but should be fixed before launch. I'd assume that all builds being shown since GamesCon are using the older drivers. Any thoughts on this?

Hoje0308

Banned
Forza 5 will look much better in motion though with it's silky smooth 60 fps.
Yes I know Evolution is targeting 60fps for Driveclub too but if they hit the target we can be sure that the graphics will be scaled back too.

I call bullshit on your self assured prediction. If Evo make 60, they won't do it at the expense of the kind of fidelity shown at Gamescom.

Proelite

So is this actually a better video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7qeAuUbO78) or are people just trolling? I can't tell with the internet any more.

BTW: CBOAT said that there was a bug introduced with the latest build of the XB1 graphics drivers that dropped performance by a large margin but should be fixed before launch. I'd assume that all builds being shown since GamesCon are using the older drivers. Any thoughts on this?

SDK. Not graphics driver.
I am think thinking he meant the SDK for OS apps since Xbox 1 has two SDKs, one for games called XDK, and one for apps. I think the SDK per drop was for apps side.

synce

Environment looks a little bland... But honestly Forza's never been known for amazing graphics so whatever.

hipbabboom

SDK. Not graphics driver.
I am think thinking he meant the SDK for OS apps since Xbox 1 has two SDKs, one for games called XDK, and one for apps. I think the SDK per drop was for apps side.

Hmmm... I stand corrected then.

Hoje0308

Banned
HAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!

Thanks man, I needed a good laugh!!!

I agree with him. Yeah, it's currently running at half the speed, but the dynamic lighting and much better trackside detail and density give the game a more pleasant appearance. If Evo can get DC running at 60 frames, Forza won't be able to put up much of a fight in the graphics department. Especially if they don't tone down the obnoxious lens flare.

Yup. Definitely the twitch video that introduced more jaggies. The final game will probably use 2xMSAA.

Proelite

I agree with him. Yeah, it's currently running at half the speed, but the dynamic lighting and much better trackside detail and density give the game a more pleasant appearance. If Evo can get DC running at 60 frames, Forza won't be able to put up much of a fight in the graphics department. Especially if they don't tone down the obnoxious lens flare.

Drive Club also needs a ton of AA and better looking car models.

There is a lot of ground to make up for in the visual department.

Omni

Hey guys, what happened to this awesome, not full hd, Crysis 3 youtube screenshot I uploaded to imgur which doesn't use compression at all.

Oh man, Crysis is awful. I didn't realise the graphics were that bad

Environment looks a little bland... But honestly Forza's never been known for amazing graphics so whatever.
What are they supposed to do, when the real track literally looks like this:
Exit%20Turn%205%20Now.JPG

hipbabboom

Oh man, Crysis is awful. I didn't realise the graphics were that bad

What are they supposed to do, when the real track literally looks like this:

Actually you bring up a really good point. Is it just me or do you get a better sense of elevation changes from the Forza 5 videos compared to previous Forza?

MCD

Forza is known for jaggies but at least this is running at 1080p.

Wait for Forza Horizon for your next gen clean ass IQ.

Alot of racing sims have lens flares e.c.t. Take Project CARS for example (One of the best looking btw):

0042-300x187.jpg

I think it's quite realistic, but if some people don't like it, maybe they should included an option to remove "weather effects"?

You don't see lens flare through your eyes. Its totally unrealistic.

I played Driveclub today (three hours ago).

That thing is aliasing city.

It seemed to have more stuff going on in the background with the track they had (such as trees and bushes), but even the car's dashboard was aliased to hell, and the painted lane lines on the road were shimmering as they were coming up on you. The powerlines that went around the track weren't even visible because of the heavily aliasing in the distance, whereas that was way lessened in Forza. In my opinion, Forza had way, way better image quality. Car models looked way more realistic, aliasing was nowhere near as noticeable (didn't ask if they used AA or not though), driver hands looked incredible, etc. I've also seen some videos of Forza going through foresty areas, but I didn't get to see that in person, so maybe Forza will be able to match Driveclub in the background effects will still having good IQ.

Regardless, I'll still try out Driveclub PSN+ when I get my PS4 because of course they'll be improving the game up to launch, but with the 5 minutes of hands on time I've had with the games, I've decided Forza is getting my money this November.

If you go closer to those trees you will find the real answer.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
What exactly is wrong with those shadows? You're getting all the branches and leaves being cast, that's exactly how I would expect them to look.

At one point near the end of the gif the shadow is almost static on the back of the car. It's almost like the tree is moving alongside the car, there is something definitely wrong with that.

p3tran

Banned
That host is awesome. He did an amazing job considering he'd just walked in off the street and had never even seen a TV before, let alone a videogame.

Reminded me of this.
wow lol! I have seen the .gif of this very likable black dude smiling many times before (~in the 30th second in the video), but I did not know the context hahahaha

At one point near the end of the gif the shadow is almost static on the back of the car. It's almost like the tree is moving alongside the car, there is something definitely wrong with that.

Didn't even notice that, I was talking about the resolution/filtering as that's what I quoted.

Actually you bring up a really good point. Is it just me or do you get a better sense of elevation changes from the Forza 5 videos compared to previous Forza?

That's the old layout used in previous Forza games, elevation should remain the same but build apparently has the new suspension physics in place which can help give a better representation of the surface.

p3tran

Banned

yeap, even if the car would go 50km/h thats still around a good 30-40m that the tree should be left behind.
see the harsh shadow of palm leaves stay there on the trunk, kind of breaks the realism.
also the way shadows kind of like pivot left-right when the car turns.

No there isn't. He's on a straightaway there, with the sun almost directly behind him. That isn't the shadow of trees by the side of the road, it's the trees behind the car at the corner he just went through.

Now, the shadows really shouldn't be that sharply detailed, and they should move vertically, but the casting angle looks fine.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
No there isn't. He's on a straightaway there, with the sun almost directly behind him. That isn't the shadow of trees by the side of the road, it's the trees behind the car at the corner he just went through.

Now, the shadows really shouldn't be that sharply detailed, and they should move vertically, but the casting angle looks fine.

The shadow is almost completely static, even at dawn and at that "low" speed it shouldn't "stay" there like that.

Each time Forza does attempt to do one of those blinding sun things (hated the one on the Nurburgring in Forza 4) I'm thinking they should either also include the option to drive with sunglasses, simulate the option of putting a sunblocker down, or just ... don't. It may look 'cool' but it's also annoying, and still nothing like the real sun.

glaurung

It looks nice, I trust the aliasing and other horrible issues are all a matter of the stream quality. The lens flare is a bit overdone and the car getting horribly dirty seems like a gimmick just to show off the new rendering engine.

And please STFU about the cloud. It seems the Turn10 guys get paid for each time they manage to mention the cloud. I will not believe in it until I see a real feature that could not be done without the cloud. The drive-avatar cloud AI is just buzz - I am willing to bet money that they could just store the avatar evolution data on the console and do it offline. Fuck you gimmicky features.

The shadow is almost completely static, even at dawn and at that "low" speed it shouldn't "stay" there like that.

If the light source and the tree are directly behind the car, then it's possible that the shadow cast could "stand still" for a second or two, especially if the movement of the car along the vertical, due to the hill, goes the opposite way to the shadow shortening with distance.

Most people must have been sat inside a car when the shadows cast stop momentarily because of the position of the car changes abruptly.

Edit: I thought this was a Driveclub thread, sorry.

saladine1

It looks nice, I trust the aliasing and other horrible issues are all a matter of the stream quality. The lens flare is a bit overdone and the car getting horribly dirty seems like a gimmick just to show off the new rendering engine.

And please STFU about the cloud. It seems the Turn10 guys get paid for each time they manage to mention the cloud. I will believe until I see a real feature that could not be done without the cloud. The drive-avatar cloud AI is just buzz.

This version of Drivatar does indeed sound interesting. Obviously though, people are going to have to wait and see if it really works.

But I agree, the PR lines sure do get tiresome. It's like each and every guy from Turn 10 is programmed to spew out the same lines, word for word, like a mindless robot.
But hey, that's PR for you..

It's not like other games' depictions of Laguna Seca are more interesting looking.

Circuits can look really bland because they are that bland.

That's why I don't get how people can compare Driveclub with Forza using tracks that are so different.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
It's so annoying reading "the environment looks bland!" about any racing game. Used to reading this about Gran Turismo, but I guess it has spilled to Forza also. (which I don't even play but I hate this comment so much) It's a race track, there's no explosions or anything going on. You know what I focus on in a racing game? The track and other cars. Not, oh look those trees are nice.

Looks like consoles will never get past aliasing issues. Any kind of feeling of awe or illusion of realism is always squashed by aliasing.

It's so annoying reading "the environment looks bland!" about any racing game. Used to reading this about Gran Turismo, but I guess it has spilled to Forza also. (which I don't even play but I hate this comment so much) It's a race track, there's no explosions or anything going on. You know what I focus on in a racing game? The track and other cars. Not, oh look those trees are nice.

In previous Forzas the lack of life made the race feel like such a non event, the world so static it was like some shit out The Langoleirs.

Sure the scenery can be boring at times but that's no excuse not to try and emulate the buzz of an actual event and add a splash of colour.

Thankfully they listened this time.

p3tran

Banned
If the light source and the tree are directly behind the car, then it's possible that the shadow cast could "stand still" for a second or two, especially if the movement of the car along the vertical, due to the hill, goes the opposite way to the shadow shortening with distance.

Most people must have been sat inside a car when the shadows cast stop momentarily because of the position of the car changes abruptly.

actually even if people sit inside their car (normal) , it is also normal to notice how shadows and reflections work irl, just by having a car ahead of you in the road.

so, no matter the elevation angle, the position of the sun relative to the trees, and the position of sun itself, its just wrong to be able to see detailed palm leaves shadows in static scale for 2 or 3 seconds, just tilting left/right, when the car is moving away from them in some speed.

this is something that most likely will be further improved until game is final, but its not something that we should say "hey, that's just how it works in real life"

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Looks like consoles will never get past aliasing issues. Any kind of feeling of awe or illusion of realism is always squashed by aliasing.

You won't get rid of Aliasing issues at 1080p.

BF3 with 4xMSAA + high FXAA still get's plenty of aliasing at 1080p.

Dan even mentioned earlier that at 1080p Aliasing (Jaggies) won't be disappearing.

You won't get rid of Aliasing issues at 1080p.

BF3 with 4xMSAA + high FXAA still get's plenty of aliasing at 1080p.

Dan even mentioned earlier that at 1080p Aliasing (Jaggies) won't be disappearing.

BF3 is a near worst-case scenario example though. Plenty of games clean up well at 1080p/4x.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Eh, I think it matters less when playing from a standard viewing distance on a TV (especially if the TV is a plasma). FXAA alone produces great results on my plasma while the game running simultaneously on my monitor looks quite a bit less attractive. I suspect that, on a high quality TV that is properly adjusted, the new generation of console games will produce very solid image quality.

Still, PC image quality can be excellent, but it's not as perfect as those screenshot threads lead one to believe. Only those with obscenely high-end cards (such as a Titan) can really enjoy the benefits of SSAA in the latest games and, even then, it's just not always possible. Downsampling isn't all it's cracked up to be as the end results just aren't as good as the screenshots suggest it should be.

hipbabboom

The last dozen posts make it seem like the last 6 pages never happened. New day, new insanity... have fun folks!

nib95

Banned

Is this real life lol. It's physically impossible for a tree shadow to remain absolutely static on the same position of a bonnet etc whilst a car is moving, especially as fast as it is. The cars distance from the tree is constantly evolving and that would be reflected by the positioning and warp of the shadow. .

eso76

several offscreen videos show aliasing is not an issue in fm5, i've seen a few where the camera is even zoomed in on the screen and aliasing is barely visible.
IQ will be fine from a normal viewing distance.

I just wasted half an hour making a comparison video of a real life lap around laguna seca and that direct feed. I think it's rather pointless, but i might upload it later.

Top Bottom