• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Forza 5 gameplay

@chubigans, Nice post DriveClub looks very good. I just wish they featured some real life tracks. iRacing has really spoiled me over the years. It really taught me what a true sim should contain (pace cars, flags, pit boxes, etc). Still looking forward to checking it out though

Drive Club isn't a sim.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Now I like DriveClub just as much as the next guy, but there is some serious trolling going on in this here thread.

saladine1

Now I like DriveClub just as much as the next guy, but there is some serious trolling going on in this here thread.

Unfortunately the whole MS debacle has fried people's brains. It's like anything from MS is meh and jaggies festooned and rubbish, while anything from Sony is absolute gold!

Sure, people have the right to be angry at MS, and yes, even worryingly hateful, but c'mon, enough with the bullshit already and move on...

Anyone actually recognise the guy with Dan Greenawalt at the end? I swear he used to present Gamespot E3 Live showfloors?

Anyone?

EDIT: And he's talking about there only being 250 of those cars in the world. I got overtaken by one the other day in my hometown :D

I was in awe, looked like a UFO and I got caught behind it in traffic.

Unfortunately the whole MS debacle has fried people's brains. It's like anything from MS is meh and jaggies festooned and rubbish, while anything from Sony is absolute gold!

Sure, people have the right to be angry at MS, and yes, even worryingly hateful, but c'mon, enough with the bullshit already and move on...

It's just your imagination. None of this is actually happening.

tumblr_l33pleritW1qzwi58o1_500.gif

moai

you are gonna be accused of persecution complex and that "this is the most hyperbolic comment i've seen".

nib95

Banned
I would be more worried about the horrible sun/camera flare than the jaggies.

They can probably very easily turn those down. They're baked in after all. Jaggies and textures will be more difficult as improvements are costlier resource and performance wise.

nib95

Banned

I don't think I've seen as much one sided persecution complex of late as I have at any other point. Were you asleep when it came to posts regarding the initial reveal of DriveClub and Knack?

gaming_noob

I don't think I've seen as much one sided persecution complex of late as I have at any other point. Were you asleep when it came to posts regarding the initial reveal of DriveClub and Knack?

It's not "persecution complex" so much as it is 'ignorance'. Could it be that these legitimate complaints are coming from people who don't visit Knack or Driveclub threads? Why yes of course. Stop throwing that mental illness term so sparingly!

nib95

Banned
It's not "persecution complex" so much as it is 'ignorance'. Could it be that these legitimate complaints are coming from people who don't visit Knack or Driveclub threads? Why yes of course. Stop throwing that mental illness term so sparingly!

To me making such claims without the knowledge or evidence to support them is sort of proof of a persecution complex in itself. In any case, It's a silly point that is often regurgitated from people who are too attached to one side to realise their statements carry no weight or validity.

2SeeKU

Alot of racing sims have lens flares e.c.t. Take Project CARS for example (One of the best looking btw):

0042-300x187.jpg

I think it's quite realistic, but if some people don't like it, maybe they should included an option to remove "weather effects"?

RoKKeR

Not just me. Ask anyone you know who saw Drive Club in person. Most next generation games shown are way cleaner IQ wise.

If they get post processing AA in before launch and hit 60 fps it'll be a stunner.

Yikes. And we're talking about Forza being rushed...

That TV looks like it is in showroom mode. Brightness turned up way too high and color saturation is too high. Plus the green frame around it is causing the video camera's light balance to tend towards the blue end of the spectrum for the TV.

Looking forward to seeing this on my calibrated 60" TV at 1080p/60. :)

Lmao. Jesus, nice save. The green frame part was really good.

Also, wtf is up with the sun in this game? Jesus. Expecting major headaches while playing.

No way, I refuse to believe.

Guess we'll find out with those 1080p high bitrate trailers we're getting for Driveclub later this week.

I played Driveclub today (three hours ago).

That thing is aliasing city.

It seemed to have more stuff going on in the background with the track they had (such as trees and bushes), but even the car's dashboard was aliased to hell, and the painted lane lines on the road were shimmering as they were coming up on you. The powerlines that went around the track weren't even visible because of the heavily aliasing in the distance, whereas that was way lessened in Forza. In my opinion, Forza had way, way better image quality. Car models looked way more realistic, aliasing was nowhere near as noticeable (didn't ask if they used AA or not though), driver hands looked incredible, etc. I've also seen some videos of Forza going through foresty areas, but I didn't get to see that in person, so maybe Forza will be able to match Driveclub in the background effects will still having good IQ.

Regardless, I'll still try out Driveclub PSN+ when I get my PS4 because of course they'll be improving the game up to launch, but with the 5 minutes of hands on time I've had with the games, I've decided Forza is getting my money this November.

It seemed to have more stuff going on in the background with the track they had (such as trees and bushes), but even the car's dashboard was aliased to hell, and the painted lane lines on the road were shimmering as they were coming up on you. The powerlines that went around the track weren't even visible because of the heavily aliasing in the distance, whereas that was way lessened in Forza. In my opinion, Forza had way, way better image quality. Car models looked way more realistic, aliasing was nowhere near as noticeable (didn't ask if they used AA or not though), driver hands looked incredible, etc. I've also seen some videos of Forza going through foresty areas, but I didn't get to see that in person, so maybe Forza will be able to match Driveclub in the background effects will still having good IQ.
Sounds like messed up priorities at this stage. I won't have much if any tolerance for jaggies in the finished product, but for god's sake the road being visually clear and crisp is equal to if not more important than the cars.

derFeef

Every game is a work in progress still, we have seen improvements between builds in both games now, I would not be too worried about them. Yet.

p3tran

Banned

Regardless, I'll still try out Driveclub PSN+ when I get my PS4 because of course they'll be improving the game up to launch, but with the 5 minutes of hands on time I've had with the games, I've decided Forza is getting my money this November.

Sounds like messed up priorities at this stage. I won't have much if any tolerance for jaggies in the finished product, but for god's sake the road being visually clear and crisp is equal to if not more important than the cars.

Every game is a work in progress still, we have seen improvements between builds in both games now, I would not be too worried about them. Yet.
I would also add the shadows and shadow resolution/filtering and mapping on car as something that still will clear up.
I mean, ok, realtime and such, but it needs some working otherwise the "realistic" effect is kind of spoiled.
iMECmyxCfxMjl.gif

still, both racing games are work in progress, and both being launch games etc, it is only reasonable to expect up to the very last minute rubbing and polishing etc 8)

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Drive club certainly has more trees and plant life than Forza 5 but car-wise and road-wise, Forza 5 has Drive club beat in the graphics department. It's also cool that Drive-club has dynamic lighting but Forza's feels more realistic given its focus on the limited time-of-day lighting scheme. That said, its silly to compare these two. A more apt comparison would be Driveclub and Forza Horizon 2 if that ever comes out.

Mogwai

It looks great. But FM4 already looked pretty darn detailed. I hope the environments gets some more love in FM5.

Also, Dan Greenawalt is like Microsoft's Steve Jobs. This dude knows how to sell his product.

p3tran

Banned
Drive club certainly has more trees and plant life than Forza 5 but car-wise and road-wise, Forza 5 has Drive club beat in the graphics department. It's also cool that Drive-club has dynamic lighting but Forza's feels more realistic given its focus on the limited time-of-day lighting scheme. That said, its silly to compare these two. A more apt comparison would be Driveclub and Forza Horizon 2 if that ever comes out.

not if horizon continues to be an open-road racing game.
driveclub most valid comparison right now will be with the new nfs.

Laguna Seca was an eyesore in FM4 and they managed to make it even worse from the looks of things. Hideous overuse of lens flare. The aliasing is disappointing too.

The only impressive thing about this game is the metallic paint shader.

p3tran

Banned
Laguna Seca was an eyesore in FM4 and they managed to make it even worse from the looks of things. Hideous overuse of lens flare. The aliasing is disappointing too.

The only impressive thing about this game is the metallic paint shader.

well, depends what you are looking at.
for example, look at this
http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_forza_motorsport_5_gc_gameplay_2-30618_en.html

reality is that they ADDED a lot of stuff in laguna seca going from forza 4 to forza 5

I would also add the shadows and shadow resolution/filtering and mapping on car as something that still will clear up.
I mean, ok, realtime and such, but it needs some working otherwise the "realistic" effect is kind of spoiled.
iMECmyxCfxMjl.gif

still, both racing games are work in progress, and both being launch games etc, it is only reasonable to expect up to the very last minute rubbing and polishing etc 8)

What exactly is wrong with those shadows? You're getting all the branches and leaves being cast, that's exactly how I would expect them to look.

I've also seen some videos of Forza going through foresty areas, but I didn't get to see that in person, so maybe Forza will be able to match Driveclub in the background effects

You should take a good look at those trees.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
not if horizon continues to be an open-road racing game.
driveclub most valid comparison right now will be with the new nfs.

You're right! Up till now, I was under the impression that it was. Now this just makes me wonder if we'll ever get a Burnout Paradise 2? :'(

EDIT: Driveclub only seemed impressive when I thought it was open-world... I'm a little bit (just a smidge) less impressed now :3

velociraptor

After being so impressed with the Prague videos, this looks horrible. The visuals look like they've taken a hit. Good to hear about the heavy focus on the driving model and the physics engine though - I have always preferred Forza's driving model compared to GT, and this is coming from someone who exclusively buys GT games because they're GT games.

Neo 007

Yeah..I wouldn't be too worried about the way these driving games look at the moment.
The dev's have 2 full months left till launch.

What do they usually need to optimise ? I'm guessing enough time.

Top Bottom