• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GOP National Poll. 1st Place: Trump - 41%. 2nd Place: Carson - 12%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone still competitive in the polling is either to afraid to attack him, or attack him in weak ways that the republican base doesn't respond to. They can't tear down trumps arguments like a democrat can because they don't actually disagree with Trump the majority of the time.

Or is Carson, who doesn't attack anybody during the debate, yet...

nib95

Banned
Not a chance. Trump is really good at debates. We have already seen how he overtakes everything against GOP candidates. He stands firm and talks straight with no BS filter.

That's because most of what he says is bullshit full stop. So it's less about him having a no bullshit filter and more about him having a constant bullshit creator.

They are not voting for Bernie because of his message, they are voting for Bernie because he isn't establishment. I know this because if they were voting for Bernie because of his message there is no possible way they would vote for Trump. As others have said, I doubt these people will end up voting anyway because really their attitude seems to be, none of it matters anyway, so if I'm going to vote, which I'm not because it doesn't matter, I'd vote for somebody that is different from it all.

I refuse to believe that any sincere Bernie supporters would ever vote for Trump. For that matter, any sincere Bernie supporter will vote for whoever ends up winning for the Democrats, be it Bernie or not, because that is what Bernie would want.

I agree, and sorta went into this in my post that followed. It's reassuring that they are a minority that probably won't even vote, but it's still disheartening to see someone flip between someone that actually wants to fix these problems and someone that would make these problems worse. It's an opinion that comes from a place of privilege.

Diablos

Idk, I'm a liberal thinker, I believe in progressive ideas, and I can exercise those beliefs in my day to day. I don't have to believe what a republican thinks....

With that said, I do not want another democrat running this country.

So I'll probably just vote for trump
What the hell?

Sure you don't trust the Clintons -- but you trust Trump instead? You actually think he's more authentic than Hillary?

My point is those exact guys can go, "Look at this loon! I'm glad my policies are totally sane. Now, about the refugee crisis..."
those guys have all slammed the door on the refugee crisis just like Trump did, it's just that they didn't use the same direct language; they used coded language but said the same thing as Trump on the issue of refugees

OK you can't have a gap like this and have no other polls come similar. There's something wrong with the latest polls because they are all over the place with zero consistency.

Maybe after the upcoming debate.

I'm not sure how great Morning Consult is overall, and with the caveat that these did come in during a terrorist attack, the other survey results are pretty wacky too. Wrong track at 74% when the RCP average is 63%, Obama job approval at 38% when the average is 45%, etc.

"If you're 20 and not a democrat you have no heart
If you're 30 and not a conservative you have no brain"

Idk, that sums me up I guess

Pretty sure he said liberal.

But you have to look at things in context. The U.S. Democratic party is to the right of the Conservative party in the UK on numerous issues. They would probably be acceptable to Churchill.

Alcander

They are not voting for Bernie because of his message, they are voting for Bernie because he isn't establishment. I know this because if they were voting for Bernie because of his message there is no possible way they would vote for Trump. As others have said, I doubt these people will end up voting anyway because really their attitude seems to be, none of it matters anyway, so if I'm going to vote, which I'm not because it doesn't matter, I'd vote for somebody that is different from it all.

I refuse to believe that any sincere Bernie supporters would ever vote for Trump. For that matter, any sincere Bernie supporter will vote for whoever ends up winning for the Democrats, be it Bernie or not, because that is what Bernie would want.

Bernie is like the definition of establishment though haha. The only possible link I could see is they both are seen to "speak their mind", but if that's your only reason for voting for someone you probably have no business voting in the first place.

#SomeMenJustWantToWatchTheWorldBern

I hate everything about this post with every single emotion I could muster at the moment.

I have a few to spare if you need more hate.

Don't mean to pick on you guys, but one of the most annoying things from Clinton supporter is that they seem to think that Clinton is entitled to get Sanders voters because they are both in the same party. Not saying Sanders, Trump etc fans are not annoying as well, but that's the one thing that stands out to me from all supporters and I don't see that from the Republican party (i.e. if Cruz doesn't get the nomination, you better vote for Trump in the general).

I'm not a Sanders supporter, but so far he is the one that most closely mirrors my views. I can't say I am going to vote for him yet because I can't vote for someone until I see a detailed tax plan. I also need to better understand his "speculation on wall street" plan because it sounds like I would get taxed $.50 for every $100 bucks every time I trade on scottrade and that would be an issue for me. With that said, I would be okay changing my party affiliation to democrat to vote for him in the primaries if the above get cleared up and is something that I like. I then don't know if I would vote D, R, or I in the general if he doesn't get the nomination.

I have done some research in the past few months and Clinton is losing me because:
  1. She is republican like in her hawkish views. I feel very uncomfortable knowing that she would most likely send ground troops to Syria to fight ISIS
  2. Her non-answers to straight questions (i.e. her wall street/pharma ties, her biggest backers, Iraq war, etc) greatly concern me
  3. She is against universal health care, a huge issue for me. From what I have been told, even Carson and Trump are closer to UHC than she is (though I haven't researched enough on the latter to say with certainty)
  4. Her recent stance changes on many issues are a major turn off for me. I view Clinton as a demagogue that will do and say what you want to get votes.
    • She had one of her infamous "No" when Matthews asked her about gay marriage in NY and has only been for gay marriage since 2013 and now she speaks for LGBT community? Nawww.
    • I would not be surprised if she became president she would change her stance on TPP and Keystone after a couple of years.
    • She had said "republicans are some my biggest enemies" and when a republican woman asked her that, she backtracked.
    • Recently said she is against "for profit prisons" after taking huge amount of money from them
    • She has publicly said she is against citizen's united though she has raised millions through big super pacs
    • She supported offshore oil drilling until recently
  5. Her backers and her super pacs suggest to me that she will not get money out of politics and won't address how our political campaign system is very corrupt. Trump has called out other people who get bought out by big money as being puppets, I don't think that's fair, but it's not a 100% false statement either
  6. She is against breaking up the big banks and reinstating glass steagall
  7. She is against legalization of recreational marijuana. Still hasn't taken a strong stance on medical marijuana legalization saying we need more research
  8. She only wants to raise the minimum wage to $12/hr (IIRC). That's still not enough. To b kinda fair, I don't think $15 suggested by Sanders and O'Malley is enough either and we should push it further
  9. No tax plan. Read above, it's the same concern that I have with Sanders and O'Malley as well
  10. She is wealthy and part of the one percent. I am not sure I believe her when she says she will make the top earners pay their fair share

There are probably more, but that's all I can think off the top of my head right now. I am still not saying I wouldn't vote for her if she got the nomination, but I would need to reassess when the time comes. If I decided on it, I don't think it would be hard to understand at that point why I would vote for Sanders in the primary and not for Clinton in the general.

Mind you, I registered to vote because friends convinced me I should and Clinton got in the race (that is, she was my first choice, initially).

There's really no other logical explanation for opinions like this but misogyny.

This is ridiculous. None of the posts you quoted suggest any form of misogyny. That's like saying it's misandry if someone says he/she wouldn't vote for Bush because they don't trust them and don't want another Bush in office. Please elaborate what you mean.

Its hard to find real Trump supporters on here, there are plenty at my job, on Twitter and Facebook though. You get the people that will say well I hate the Clintons so I will choose Trump over Hilary when the best case scenario for that person is just to not vote. Vote for Trump because you support his ideas not because you hate Clintons.

I know one guy who is a Sanders primary voter, but would only vote for Trump if Sanders is not the nominee. His reasoning is hate for establishment and money in politics. Billionaires and big corporations buying candidates is the one single issue for him. In that sense, I can see why he would go to Sanders or Trump, but I am sure a lot of people here won't.

Damaniel

Banned
But what's that Churchill quote

In Churchill's time, conservatives weren't anywhere near as fucking insane as they are now - in fact, they were quite reasonable and I could have considered myself being willing to vote for some of them. Before Reagan's brand of conservatism came to prominence, conservatives would actually negotiate and compromise with the left, and generally weren't the science denying, Jesus-obsessed nutjobs that they are today. These days, if you're any age and support the Republican party, then there's just something wrong - it's an acceptance of bigotry, racism and Islamophobia (among many other things).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Voting in trump as an anti-corporate move makes no sense either.

Instead of voting in the politicians controlled by billionaires... you vote in the billionaires instead?

At least you cut out the middle man I guess.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
In Churchill's time, conservatives weren't anywhere near as fucking insane as they are now - in fact, they were quite reasonable and I could have considered myself being willing to vote for some of them. Before Reagan's brand of conservatism came to prominence, conservatives would actually negotiate and compromise with the left, and generally weren't the science denying, Jesus-obsessed nutjobs that they are today. These days, if you're any age and support the Republican party, then there's just something wrong - it's an acceptance of bigotry, racism and Islamophobia (among many other things).

You do know when Churchill's time was right

This is ridiculous. None of the posts you quoted suggest any form of misogyny. That's like saying it's misandry if someone says he/she wouldn't vote for Bush because they don't trust them and don't want another Bush in office. Please elaborate what you mean.

How is it ridiculous? If a person is supposedly a Bernie Sanders supporter and actually believes in what he stands for, and that person says he's going to vote for Donald Fucking Trump in the general election over Hillary Clinton, something is amiss.

The easiest explanations are often the most accurate, so I find very little reason not to assume that sexism is a primary motivating factor behind such perverse logic.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
How is it ridiculous? If a person is supposedly a Bernie Sanders supporter and actually believes in what he stands for, and that person says he's going to vote for Donald Fucking Trump in the general election over Hillary Clinton, something is amiss.

The easiest explanations are often the most accurate, so I find very little reason not to assume that sexism is a primary motivating factor behind such perverse logic.

Isn't the simplest answer that they are a fucking imbecile?

Whilst there is a lot of overlap between that and sexists, they aren't identical

ivysaur12

Banned
If I decided on it, I don't think it would be hard to understand at that point why I would vote for Sanders in the primary and not for Clinton in the general.

I don't have time to respond to your points individually, but the post I was responding to is this:

Bernie is my pick. But If Hillary is going to be the face of Democrats then I would vote Trump. Can't stand another Clinton in the office.

There are almost no issues in which Trump and Bernie have any sort of overlap on, in case you believe that there needs to be someone "anti-establishment" who doesn't take money from SuperPACs (Trump is not self-funded, and the fact that Bernie's anti-establishment credentials are being a career politician himself).

So what could actually drive a Bernie supporter to vote for Trump besides some bizarre idea of "anti-establishment"?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

LMAO @ this outdated (and completely wrong) quote. Churchill is at least 40 years ago. Things have changed. Anyone spouting you have no brain for being against the current conservative party is, to quote Churchill back at you: The one without a brain.

Zaphod

Considering Trump's rhetoric consists mainly of emotional appeals, I don't think you sit where you think you do on that scale.

Kusagari

Churchill didn't even say that quote.

It's just been attributed to him so much that people believe he actually said it.

Kaban

Even America's national symbol doesn't want a Trump presidency.

B1cLMzv.gif

Mortemis

Banned
Youtube comments.. want to believe its sarcasm but i know the truth of it. Madness and stupidity.

Yeah that shit was depressing. I know I know, youtube comments and all. But when youtube comments are reflecting very well what you hear every day, shit gets depressing really quick.

Not

Banned
Yeah that shit was depressing. I know I know, youtube comments and all. But when youtube comments are reflecting very well what you hear every day, shit gets depressing really quick.

It's hard (and devastating) to come to grips with the fact that so many people are that stupid.

Conservatism then and conservatism now are two VERY different things. The Nixon and Reagan eras are responsible for the racism and corruption that define the party now.

The democrats aren't saints either, but the middle and working classes have always done better under liberal presidents than conservative ones.

nib95

Banned
Paul Ryan is trying to restore sanity to the party, standing up for Muslims and freedom of religion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZGIhGPFKS0

I'm glad he did this, but fucking hell at the sheer volume of grotesque comments. America, what have you created? Also, this is why outlets like Fox News need to be held to higher standards. It is outrageous that they are the most popular American TV news channel. They've made a career out of selling hate, xenophobia, racism, Islamaphobia, fear, bigotry and misinformation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom