• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GOP National Poll. 1st Place: Trump - 41%. 2nd Place: Carson - 12%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Not liking clinton doesn't mean voting for trump,

You don't even have compulsory voting like us in australia.

I don't understand how Clinton would be a mistake but Trump would be this great success story. Like, if you can't stand Hilary Clinton, just stay home. How can someone honestly think Donald Trump will improve this country, the lives of its citizens (particularly immigrants and minorities), and our standing in the world?

Branduil

It's easy, I don't like clintons , I don't have to justify anything, I don't trust her as someone to run this country

That doesn't change the way I will continue to live my life following the simple code of "do the right humane thing"

Amazing how your code is so simple and yet you're already planning on failing at it.

ISOM

While many of you guys find this funny, most should find it absolutely fucking appalling. Why? Dude is absolutely destroying the rest of the the candidates and far and wide has the most support among ANY Republican candidate while spewing the disgusting bullshit he does every day.

You can find that hilarious and brush it off, but think about it for a second. There's a very large number of the American population that thinks the way he does and shares his racist and fascist views, on ethnic minorities, on immigrants, on Muslims, etc etc. That's not funny. That's sad, that's deplorable, and it's dangerous.

I saw the fascist minority hating tendencies of the republican party a long time ago, I'm glad more people are waking up I guess.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
It's easy, I don't like clintons , I don't have to justify anything, I don't trust her as someone to run this country

That doesn't change the way I will continue to live my life following the simple code of "do the right humane thing"

That code is not a useful way of living at all.

If morality could be boiled down to 'do the right thing' the world would be a much better place. Everyone's definition of right is different, sometimes there is no good answer.

Korey

Anyone else genuinely scared?

Everyone says that Trump can't win the general election. But...what if he DOES?

danm999

I don't understand how Clinton would be a mistake but Trump would be this great success story. Like, if you can't stand Hilary Clinton, just stay home. How can someone honestly think Donald Trump will improve this country, the lives of its citizens (particularly immigrants and minorities), and our standing in the world?

It seems to be some bizarre wish for a paradigm shift in national politics that Trump is supposed to deliver. It's the only thing that links him with Bernie because their stated policy positions are pretty much chalk and cheese.

Any change is good change. He might try to deport 11 million people and void a bunch of US citizens rights if he thinks they're Muslim, but also something might be done about campaign finance reform..?

If you have some political positions that clearly fall along a certain line, I don't see what the Clinton's would do that would any worse than having Republicans controlling Congress and the White House and then stacking 8 years worth of Republican justices.

With the right justices on the bench, we might actually see some real changes regarding campaign finance, gay and lesbian rights, etc.

Or we could have Republicans stacking the courts to regress LGBT rights and further open the gates to looser campaign laws.
They will do nothing for climate change. Rip apart all forms of welfare.

But you don't like the Clinton's? Are you even progressive? Because if you don't like Hillary for her foreign policy positions or her ties to big money on Wall Street, there's really no better alternative on the right.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Anyone else genuinely scared?

Everyone says that Trump can't win the general election. But...what if he DOES?

Trump may not have a winning chance, but I'm somewhat worried about his potential to turn the GOP into a neofascist party with some mainstream appeal in the same vein as France's National Front.

Honestly, I'm rather worried about what the future may be holding for the GOP. Best case scenario, Trump goes independent and the crazier wingnuts break away from the party. Worst one, the GOP panders to them just like they pandered to the Tea Party and ends up eating itself.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Trump may not have a winning chance, but I'm somewhat worried about his potential to turn the GOP into a neofascist party with some mainstream appeal in the same vein as France's National Front.

Honestly, I'm rather worried about what the future may be holding for the GOP. Best case scenario, Trump goes independent and the crazier wingnuts break away from the party. Worst one, the GOP panders to them just like they pandered to the Tea Party and ends up eating itself.

The real problem with Trump is that he makes the wackos in the GOP look moderate by comparison.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
so GOP is basically becoming a neofascist party against the will of everyone but Trump and his supporters?

Erevador

You are free to refrain from voting if you object so strongly to Hillary Clinton, someone against whom many very valid criticisms could be leveled.

But voting for someone who is the literal embodiment of everything your chosen candidate opposes suggests that you are the very worst kind of voter, one in such a state of ideological confusion and incoherence that you are susceptible to the emotional appeals of even the most deranged candidates.
Bollocks. Rather than looking at things in black and white, they may see that there are positives and negatives to both sides of the coin. Those voters are called independents. Trump and Bernie are certainly two different extremes, but there's not a whole lot of choice here. I'd personally rather have either one of them before Hillary. She's a fake person run by special interests. She would leave the country in stagnation instead of moving it forward in some direction.
You could make this case between Hillary and Rubio, but not between Bernie and Trump, who are each the exact opposite of the other. Trump is exactly what the Sanders campaign is mobilized around combating. Trump is a billionaire plutocrat who is motivated exclusively by a desire for personal gain. The whole message of Sanders is based around criticism of the excesses of billionaire plutocrats and the fact that they do everything for personal gain.

This is a position that is only "independent" in the sense that it was clearly conceived entirely independent of reason and logic.

Brinbe

This is a good thing! It truly exposes that party for what it truly is! Hopefully the media at large finally realizes that and doesn't play that both sides are the same garbage. But they probably will until the bitter end. Act like it's only a small niche that supports Trump when that's the fucking base of the party that's eating up everything he says. Poor, racist, gun-toting, uneducated whites. And they're damn proud of it.

Yes, it's scary but it's fucking reality. These people exist and they're as American as anyone else. Now what do you do about it? What does that say about America? You can't sweep it under the rug, you can't ignore it.

Just look at the idiots in this thread that say they'd vote for Trump over Hilary. Like are you fucking serious!? Jesus fucking Christ. I don't get it. I really don't. How do you go from supporting Bernie to fucking Trump? It makes zero sense.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The real problem with Trump is that he makes the wackos in the GOP look moderate by comparison.

And provides a platform that legitimates hate speech in the mainstream.

This Trump idiocy needs to be nipped at the bud. Even if Democrats steamroll the elections, there's a distinct chance that he may galvanize America's far right and push it into the spotlight far further than the Tea Party ever did. And did the Tea Party play a number on America's politics.

Trump may inflict a tremendous amount of damage to America even if he loses. This needs to be addressed by both parties, the sooner the better. The real question is if the GOP's old guard has the will and the political capital to go to war against Trump, or if it prefers to ride on the success of his populism in a short-sighted, desperate attempt at retaining its dying demographics while something else happens.

Just look at the idiots in this thread that say they'd vote for Trump over Hilary. Like are you fucking serious!? Jesus fucking Christ. I don't get it. I really don't. How do you go from supporting Bernie to fucking Trump? It makes zero sense.
Its hard to find real Trump supporters on here, there are plenty at my job, on Twitter and Facebook though. You get the people that will say well I hate the Clintons so I will choose Trump over Hilary when the best case scenario for that person is just to not vote. Vote for Trump because you support his ideas not because you hate Clintons.

I know he only has a small chance but I feel like you're going to jinx it lol

There are still 11 months till the generation election. I could definitely see him work some magic. And what if there's another big terror attack on US soil ? Man that would be a disaster.

It's almost like he's banking on in so he can go full blown "See I told you so!!! You stupid people!"

Blader

How you live your life is completely irrelevant to how the rest of the country lives theirs. If you want "do the right humane thing" to have a meaningful impact and actually affect people beyond the ones you interact with day to day, then you have to vote for the elected official -- be it president, congressperson, governor, mayor, etc -- who embodies that and will carry that into law. And Trump is not that person.

Future

I am going to bed after this, all I will say is, when have leaders ever really had us, people in their best interest.

i don't trust Carson, I don't trust Sanders
I especially don't trust Clinton or Rubio

None of them will do anything for institutionalized racism, probably just make it worse.

everyone is saying what you want to hear, no one is actually going to follow through.

I want things to be shaken up a bit, trump is the only one that can do that. He can say he is going to ban Muslims....he won't

He could say he is going to build a wall, but he won't.

Fuck it, do I just throw my vote away on Gary Johnson again?

Idk guys, all I do know is we are spiraling down hill fast, no one running is going to fix that

I don't know man. The Supreme Court ruling on gay marriage is a direct result of democratic influence on the Supreme Court justices. Things DO happen and change based on who is in charge, and this change can be sped up.... Or slowed down

What do you want to change? You mention that you can't take another 8 years. What do you want specifically to happen in the next 8 years? Is another stab at healthcare reform to main thing?

While many of you guys find this funny, most should find it absolutely fucking appalling. Why? Dude is absolutely destroying the rest of the the candidates and far and wide has the most support among ANY Republican candidate while spewing the disgusting bullshit he does every day.

You can find that hilarious and brush it off, but think about it for a second. There's a very large number of the American population that thinks the way he does and shares his racist and fascist views, on ethnic minorities, on immigrants, on Muslims, etc etc. That's not funny. That's sad, that's deplorable, and it's dangerous.

The second portion is a truth that most minorities have known about America for a very long time. It's about time the rest of the country noticed it.

sangreal

That's what I thought. Not sure what the White House is referring to.

it's just a figure of speech, common in politics these days. As an example, it caused quite a stir when Chuck Todd said Alison Grimes was disqualified for Senate because she wouldn't say if she voted for Obama

Blader

I keep forgetting Santorum is even in this race. Anytime someone mentions his name, I think they're referring to 2012. Has he even said a single thing this entire campaign?

the GOP are super dumb not being able to see that Trump (the outsider) is using their party primary system to further his ambitions.

Trump never was a card carrying member of the Republican Party prior to this.

He saw a weakness among Republican candidates like Jeb! and has attached himself onto that party's primary system as a vehicle to propel himself to the top hoping that it would help him become President.

Republicans leaning further and further Right has created this environment of Right Wing extremism; Trump is dialing it over the edge on identity politics nearing Fascism

Nice to see Bernie supporters with Trump as their second choice if Hillary gets the nomination. Really taking Bernie's message of "if I don't win fuck it all" to heart, oh wait that's not his message.

Nice to see Bernie supporters with Trump as their second choice if Hillary gets the nomination. Really taking Bernie's message of "if I don't win fuck it all" to heart, oh wait that's not his message.

Seriously.

The second he concedes, he'll support Hillary wholeheartedly.

I will never understand people who vote on "personality" over their own ideology on the Left/Right scale.

Or maybe extremes breed opposite extremes

Mr. Sam

Trump has already done enough damage in as much as he's reframed the debate and now anybody who's not quite as horribly bigoted as him can bill themselves as a moderate.

Trump has already done enough damage in as much as he's reframed the debate and now anybody who's not quite as horribly bigoted as him can bill themselves as a moderate.
I think it actually had the opposite effect.

At least among sizable voting blocs Reps need to win the presidency. Fascist racists by association.

Have you watched the debates?
The other candidates have said dumb shit too, it's not like there has been any rationale discourse during the last GOP debates.

Trump is bad but he is not alone, Carson still ranks high for a crazy person

Yep. Look how people are responding to Lindsey Graham's comments. Lindsey Graham. Let that sink in.

Mr. Sam

Have you watched the debates?
The other candidates have said dumb shit too, it's not like there has been any rationale discourse during the last GOP debates.

Trump is bad but he is not alone

My point is those exact guys can go, "Look at this loon! I'm glad my policies are totally sane. Now, about the refugee crisis..."

rjinaz

They are not voting for Bernie because of his message, they are voting for Bernie because he isn't establishment. I know this because if they were voting for Bernie because of his message there is no possible way they would vote for Trump. As others have said, I doubt these people will end up voting anyway because really their attitude seems to be, none of it matters anyway, so if I'm going to vote, which I'm not because it doesn't matter, I'd vote for somebody that is different from it all.

I refuse to believe that any sincere Bernie supporters would ever vote for Trump. For that matter, any sincere Bernie supporter will vote for whoever ends up winning for the Democrats, be it Bernie or not, because that is what Bernie would want.

Not a chance. Trump is really good at debates. We have already seen how he overtakes everything against GOP candidates. He stands firm and talks straight with no BS filter.

It only appears that way because Republican candidates are more concerned with attacking the moderators and shouting how their beliefs are being unfairly persecuted rather than calling out Trump and his BS.

Anyone still competitive in the polling is either to afraid to attack him, or attack him in weak ways that the republican base doesn't respond to. They can't tear down trumps arguments like a democrat can because they don't actually disagree with Trump the majority of the time.

Trump won't even be able to debate Hillary on policy and resort to "Well if she couldn't satisfy her husband how can she satisfy the nation?" type of comments that will blow up in his face in a general election platform. The divided republican party may put up with it but there is absolutely zero chance those sort of tactics have any sort of positive outcome for him on a national level.

OK you can't have a gap like this and have no other polls come similar. There's something wrong with the latest polls because they are all over the place with zero consistency.

Maybe after the upcoming debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom