• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Mario Party 10 character artwork

L Thammy

I'm glad that Spike is finally getting the recognition he deserves. Not even joking. I love those dudes.

150px-Rex.jpg

When is this guy coming back?

There were some Rexes in one of the Mario & Luigi games, but I'd support playable Rex.

When Nintendo is a bringing an all-star cast of Mario characters for another Mario spinoff game, you know the one character everyone is clamouring for is Spike.

When Nintendo is a bringing an all-star cast of Mario characters for another Mario spinoff game, you know the one character everyone is clamouring for is Spike.

I don't mind random enemies as characters as long as they are consistent and bring the well liked ones back. Spike should be last on the list behind Dry Bones, Shy Guy, Boo and Koopa. Staples of the Mario series and most spin offs.

And the disrespect Kamek gets is just disappointing. Either he's a generic enemy ("Magikoopa"), or he's in one game and never again, or straight cut from a game before release and never added to that series again (hello Mario Kart). He's a named character and the main villain of the Yoshi series and has appeared in countless games including every newer New Super Mario Bros game. And he never appears in anything consistently enough or properly named

Madao

I really hope waifu comments are jokes, but otherwise you are creeping me out and I like anime.

how so? i never called her waifu or anything like that.
all i posted was that Rosalina's lips were a little too big. it stood out since it looks out of place.
unless pointing out odd changes crosses in creeping territory now...

in Rosalina's defense, she has existed for way longer.

the recent portrayal is a different thing though. i liked the way she was presented more initially.

Kinsei

Banned
Adding Spike is pretty cool, underrated baddie IMO.

But bring back the cut characters too. :(

Yep. There's really no excuse for cutting characters in the Mario spin-off games. It's not like Smash where the vast majority of the characters are unique.

Greenzxy

Look really neat, only issue I'm having is that there eyes seemed to be a bit washed out in these renders.

Like Luigi is a big showcase of this. I'm not sure if they chose to go to the washed out look due to style or they just didn't opt to add any glow filter in these renders.
mp10newart11.jpg

It's always fun to think about how Intelligent Systems and AlphaDream created Mario adventures with huge casts, and many memorable characters, but when Nintendo looks to expand their rosters, it's...
Blue Toad
Baby Rosalina
Pink Gold Peach
"Er, I don't know, pick a random enemy... Spike?"

Anyone else point out how this theoretically makes for two playable Spikes in the game?

Renders like these and the Smash Bros models make me realize how pretty Peach really is.

Huh. I've never found Peach attractive (even in SSB4) but yeah in this render she is quite pretty. Wonder why.

Rosalina 4eva tho ;)

And the disrespect Kamek gets is just disappointing. Either he's a generic enemy ("Magikoopa"), or he's in one game and never again, or straight cut from a game before release and never added to that series again (hello Mario Kart). He's a named character and the main villain of the Yoshi series and has appeared in countless games including every newer New Super Mario Bros game. And he never appears in anything consistently enough or properly named

That's because the games that just have one or several Magikoopas in it don't feature Kamek at all. It's not about being "properly named", he's just not in those particular games you're talking about.

I kind of wish they would visually differentiate him though
or just replace him with the far superior Kammy. *cough*

Pizza

Imo Nintendo's biggest misstep is not creating a huge roster of Mario characters.

Egadd, toadsworth, fawful, and really any interesting character design from any number of spinoffs and rpg's should have long since been spin-off staples. Mario Sports games I get, since you're working with special moves and stats. Mario kart and party should both have behemoth rosters from this point and its sort of silly that Nintendo is still playing with small rosters and "what generic bad guy should be in this game?" issues

Even in the platforming games, even if there isn't a consistent story at *least* let the cast have a few more characters every now and again. Why is there kamek, magikoopas (that look like him) and also kammy, a named magikoopa that replaced kamek and was since ignored? Like, how hard would it be to have a bunch of magikoopas and kammy in the same game?

whats so great about spike? he is just a stupid fat turtle that cant even enter his shell.... shoulda gave us dry bones instead or the koopalings.

I still don't get the concept behind throwing everyone inside a car together. Did they ever explain in an interview why they decided to do that and for what purpose?

8 was horrendous. 9 had the stupid car that killed it for me and my friends.

Meanwhile, Mario Party DS was fantastic on like, and N64 Maro Party level.

I still don't get the concept behind throwing everyone inside a car together. Did they ever explain in an interview why they decided to do that and for what purpose?

8 was horrendous. 9 had the stupid car that killed it for me and my friends.

Meanwhile, Mario Party DS was fantastic on like, and N64 Maro Party level.

Me neither. Mario Party is one of those franchises that no matter how bad the iteration was, me and my friends always had a lot of fun with it. But Mario Party 9 and the stupid car ruined that.

jariw

I have only played MP9 myself and experienced no problem with the one-car system. Why are separate cars better?

Well, it's just, it's hard to strategize in a board game when you have to rely on other people's movement and stuff, but I guess that goes along with Mario Party becoming more and more about blind luck with every iteration. I was just curious as to if it was ever made public why they did the car thing, like, what the philosophy behind that was.

"But it's a board game! Those are about luck!!"

Yeah, but the original games made is so if you dominated at the mini-games, you would most likely win. In the later ones they'd be like "Hey player 1! You just beat the crap out of everyone else...but here comes that tricky Magikoopa who's gonna just randomly redistribute everyone's stars!"

Meanwhile the DS version was released in the middle of all this and like, Mario Party 1 and 2 quality.

Top Bottom