• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Wonder Announced - Coming 20.10.2023 | Nintendo Direct

Edder1

remember people the switch is a handheld it should look like a mobile game
Switch also runs Ori which looks like a generation ahead of this game. But the graphical fidelity isn't why it's being compared to mobile, rather it is the uninspired art style, which just looks like New Super Mario Bros. in 2D.

At the same Direct they also briefly showed new Princess Peach game that looks like it's way ahead of this Mario game both technically and aesthetically. 2D Mario at this point just seems like an afterthought at Nintendo.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Season 3 Thank You GIF by The Office

Finally a new 2D Mario that doesn’t use the ‘New’ style.

Day 0 obviously. Looks phenomenal!

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
saw lot of mechanic that looks positively fun... but, i'm suck in platformer games. even odyssey is hard game for me
Totally feel you, it happens to me with racing sims, even more arcade-y Forza Horizon is too difficult for me, I felt like an accomplishment doing a lap without crashing once but then I had to do the same fast to win the race and gave up lol

Last edited:

MacReady13

And this is the reason I continue to game today- nothing is better than 2D Mario! Looks brilliant and I am in day 1! Better than ANYTHING shown in the last few weeks from Microsoft, Sony and everyone else! Gameplay is KING!!!

Kataploom

Gold Member
Mobile games usually play it very safe and are very dull aesthetically, which this is. There are many different art style they could have gone with and they went with one of the most safe and boring. This isn't surprising as even their 3D games now all look the same.
Definitely a tastes thing, for me Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, etc. All look like that, they are just incredibly boring to look at, and this game is so amazingly looking in my eyes. But well, to each their own.

Astral Dog

They should just give it to Retro Studios, they seem to understand what it takes to make a modern 2D platformer.
Hardcore bros hated Retro's Donkey Kong Country ,but at least Metroid Prime 4 is coming out soon

Right?😨

That said i have no issue with either this style or Donkey Kong Country,Nintendo is king when it comes to 2D platformers

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Gamers since 2009: “That wah-wah in NSMB is terrible!“
Nintendo in 2023: “bap ba dup ba daaaa, bap-ba bup-pa daaaaa”

Didn't see anything there to dethrone Super Mario World or even challenge it. Art style is safe and uninspiring. Just seems like Nintendo ran out of ideas for traditional 2D Mario and decided they're gonna do Super Mario Bros. LSD. Donkey Kong is where the real innovation is when it comes to modern 2D platforming.
Where did you see innovation in Retro’s Donkey Kong? It was a couple of highly polished platformers, but innovation? Not an ounce of that. Classic as they get.

Anyway, say what you want about the artstyle and the music. NSMBWii and NSMBU were oustanding games. I think it’s only the necessity to allow for simultaneous multiplayer that prevented them from making the games as daring as SMW in terms of level design, but the Nintendo quality was all there and then some.

Edder1

Definitely a tastes thing, for me Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, etc. All look like that, they are just incredibly boring to look at, and this game is so amazingly looking in my eyes. But well, to each their own.
Completely different things. Uncharted and Assassin's Creed strive for realism and cannot be compared to a stylised game like Super Mario Bros. Realism is by definition boring because it's what we have experienced the most.

Last edited:

Edder1

Where did you see innovation in Retro’s Donkey Kong? It was a couple of highly polished platformers, but innovation? Not an ounce of that. Classic as they get.
And that's the point, 2D Mario doesn't need radical innovation, just classic formula with new locations and new gameplay mechanics and twists. Super Mario World and 3 are both classic platformers, but World added enough gameplay mechanics to feel fresh and become the best 2D platformer of all time according to most people. It's for the same reasons according to many Tropical Frreeze is right up there as well. As for 2D Mario games since World, none of them ever got close to being regarded as the best in their genre. It's been more than 30 years, time to move 2D Mario to another team if they ever wanna reach those heights again.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Looks like a crappy mobile phone game. It's like the 2D Super Mario Bros. line is handled by the worst Nintendo artists and musicians since the DS days.

Or maybe these projects are like training for the fresh employees?

Kataploom

Gold Member
Completely different things. Uncharted and Assassin's Creed strive for realism and cannot be compared to a stylised game like Super Mario Bros. Realism is by definition boring because it's what we have experienced the most.
Yet it does look bad for some and great for others. Just a matter of tastes.

Trilobit

The trailer looked absolutely gorgeous! I thought TotK would be my last Switch game, but now it's looking like Super Mario LSD will be the swansong instead.

Edit: This make me yearn for a gooorgeous Yoshi's Island sequel on the Switch 2.

iBiIQKq.jpg

Edit 2: Looked at the trailer again and now I also want a SMB2 sequel!

LvxX7tk.jpg

Last edited:

tkscz

I guess I have a different view on this game because I see a game with lots of very expressive animations. Vibrant and diverse enviroments. The lighting is a lot better han how flat the New Games were. The powerups look interesing and fun. All the playable characters look great.. Plus all the levels we haven't seen. I'm very excited to see where it ends up in the endgame because endgame Mario is just pure platforming fun.

Saying it's lacking character is funny to me.
I'm seeing quite a few people saying it looks just like NSMB and I don't see that. NSMB was, as you said, bland and flat. Basic 3D models with little lighting and effects. SMBW is very fluid, cartoony in it's expression and movement. Like the old SMB art in motion. Also nice little effects like player shadows on background objects, more lively motion in the backgrounds.

looks like the same old shit, no? what am I missing?

What do you mean by same ol shit? Mean in terms of it's a 2D Mario or comparing it to New Super Mario Bros?

Last edited:

jcorb

It honestly does look like another "New Super Mario Bros" type game, but hey I'm down for that. Interesting they leaned so hard into a more "trippy" vibe with some of the power-ups, though; that could make things interesting.

There was a brief moment it looked almost like everyone on the screen were *playing* as different colored Yoshi's? Honestly, I'm a huge Yoshi fan, so I'd love to be able to play him for a whole game.

I don't imagine it being possible, but I would also *adore* if they could somehow add Geno and Mallow to the roster. It's so awesome seeing Super Mario RPG get some love after all these years, and I've always wanted to see those two join the normal roster of Mario characters!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This looks awful. I hate the NSMB pre-rendered look. 2.5D (like SM3DW in SMM2) would be so much better.

But it'll be fun I'm sure. Mario sure loves drugs!

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I'm seeing quite a few people saying it looks just like NSMB and I don't see that. NSMB was, as you said, bland and flat. Basic 3D models with little lighting and effects. SMBW is very fluid, cartoony in it's expression and movement. Like the old SMB art in motion. Also nice little effects like player shadows on background objects, more lively motion in the backgrounds.

What do you mean by same ol shit? Mean in terms of it's a 2D Mario or comparing it to New Super Mario Bros?
Both sides are exaggerating

It looks imho, like a proper succesor to the New Super Mario Bros series

And there is nothing wrong with that they were rad games 😁

Renoir

Been a while since I played a 2d Mario. Looks fun. Im liking the add touch for the combos, and the silly animations.
Glad this is not another cut of the old wii mario.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
They just can't help themselves though with this series having some sort of vocals as part of the music......the beginning part sounds like the mens choir singing in the background.

Other than that, this looks awesome! Hopefully the music isn't like that the whole game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom