• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Wonder Announced - Coming 20.10.2023 | Nintendo Direct

KXVXII9X

The graphics and especially the animations look super cheap. Also, what's the deal with 2D Mario games without proper flying mechanics? 😔
"Animations look super cheap"
Stressed Out Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Fredrik

This looks soooo good! I feel like this is going to compete for GOTY with TOTK and Starfield for me, absolutely love everything single thing I see here 😍

bender

What time is it?
Ya I'm with you. The game looks fun but I am confused by people saying that the art style looks different. It's just a bit more sparkly.

The animations on characters and enemies are way more expressive and environmental touches like clouds dispersing when you jump through them. You can definitely see the modern 2D Mario roots which is disappointing, for me at least, but it does look like a decent evolution. I still want to see more as I was excited about the painted world in New Super Mario Brothers U but that concept was fairly underused.

NanaMiku

Woah, pretty nice box art. The PNG pattern is a nice touch
Is there a limit on the vouchers? I already used the $100 voucher this year on Totk. Can I buy another $100 voucher?
$100 get you 2 vouchers. Each voucher can be used to redeem one game. So if you use the voucher only for TOTK, you should still have one more voucher than you can use. There's no limit on how many voucher you can buy

93xfan

Banned
The graphics and especially the animations look super cheap. Also, what's the deal with 2D Mario games without proper flying mechanics? 😔
Yeah, I miss the verticality and discovery with either the leaf or feather.

Still think I’ll have a good time, and art wise is a step up from the “new” series

Stratostar

Gonna nitpick because I'm on a video game forum. Boy do I hate all that white empty space. Why leave all that space effectively blank on the cover? Looks unfinished. They did the same thing with 3D World's Wii U box art. I remember in its box art thread (from 10 years ago lol) one user's quick photoshop job made a world of a difference, as you can see here:

From this
5006187.jpg

To this
tuwoqWV.jpg

Jubenhimer

Ya I'm with you. The game looks fun but I am confused by people saying that the art style looks different. It's just a bit more sparkly.
It looks similar in some ways. But the character models, animations, and overall aesthetic have been completely overhauled.

IAmRei

Totally feel you, it happens to me with racing sims, even more arcade-y Forza Horizon is too difficult for me, I felt like an accomplishment doing a lap without crashing once but then I had to do the same fast to win the race and gave up lol
as for racing, i can only do mario kart and ridge racer, back before i tried GT 4, and not touching others after that anymore, knowing todays racing should be more complex than before

Ye
Yeah, I miss the verticality and discovery with either the leaf or feather.

Still think I’ll have a good time, and art wise is a step up from the “new” series
Yeah without the feather the series reminds me too much of the limitations of Super Mario Bros (1). So it's such a step back, the series didn't get great until Super Mario Bros 3 imo.

Really surprised to see comments that this is so much better than nsmbu deluxe. To me the art styles are extremely similar. This looks a little better of course but more of an evolution

Edder1

Probably around the same amount that think "realistic > stylish" and "individual pixels > whole composition", which is common here at least, a matter of tastes.
It's hard to agree with the notion that the game is getting criticised simply because it's stylised when the game looks nearly identical to New Super Mario Bros. series aesthetically.

Last edited:

Aldric

Game looks pretty great, for the first few seconds I was annoyed at how similar it looked to NSMB but after watching the entire trailer I quickly changed my mind, it has a ton of meaningful improvements and its own unique identity that no other Mario game share. Much better lighting, more pastel colors, a much softer look compared to NSMB's plasticky style, grander, more detailed backgrounds with a lot of things happening in them and of course really charming animations giving characters a lot of personality. People saying that the games look the same are delusional.

Also something exciting to consider: the game already looks very creative but keep in mind most of Nintendo's major titles, especially mainline Mario games have pretty tame first trailers followed by a second one that unveils some batshit insane core mechanics. Just compare Odyssey's first trailer to the E3 2017 one. I'm pretty sure we haven't seen anything of the game yet and that there's some really off the wall stuff in there.

93xfan

Banned
Ye

Yeah without the feather the series reminds me too much of the limitations of Super Mario Bros (1). So it's such a step back, the series didn't get great until Super Mario Bros 3 imo.
2 was great as well imo. I do count it since the same people made it. 3 and World are the best for sure though.

Anyway, they have showed off some verticality which was nice, but man I miss flying

UnNamed

Banned
The art style is strange, sometimes animations are like those Flash games. It's a sort of improvement from NSMB but not that much. I mean, they could do better with the graphics.

Gameplay is interesting though.

AllyITA

i find it very weird that mario and the other characters are significantly turned towards the audience instead of looking forward in the direction they are traveling (to the right/left) as they should.
is it just me?

rubenburgt

I can't help but wonder if they added Daisy because of the backlash the latest Mario's Strikers gotten.

Last edited:

rubenburgt

Yeah, because that's how Nintendo plans. haha.

They prob added her as another female character because it makes sense.
True, but why Daisy?

I mean, there is a reason why Rosalina usually was chosen, and that's because she is more popular in Japan.

Daisy, despite having a loud fanbase, is often seen as annoying.

So why choose her over any other character?

Top Bottom