• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metal Gear Solid 4 scans

gogogow said:
Throwing a grenade, IGN metioned it.

Kickass. That's exactly the types of details and animations they needed to add. Make Snake alot more versitile in his attacks and the way he's able to use weapons.

jett

D-Member
Vangellis said:
Itsthe sameAlthough something really has bothered me about every MGS game, the color palette. It wouldn't bother me much but since people have been tripping over the visuals of MGS since the PSX it does. I know its an art direction choice, but its bothersome since I think graphically the restricted color palette is a bit of a copout, realistically speaking.

MGS3 has an extremely varied color pallette, just so you know. The middle-eastern environment in MGS4 is also just one of many.

Rody

Awesome indeed.

I'm sorry, but I gotta laugh at the "yeah, good but downgraded" comments. Seriously: :lol

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
SolidSnakex said:
Any guesses of what Snakes doing here?

2932acd2bbe4a6a37c7620ff584bf841.jpg

Given the position it looks like he could be throwing a grenade over his head while still trying to stay hidden on that slope but its hard to tell.

hmm it's intresting to see that Snake is on his back in this pic, it's like he is throwing a grenade behind him.

Vangellis

jett said:
And to all the people complaining about MGS4's color pallette...I'm sure you were all jizzing over a certain recent 8-minute video from a 360 game where ****ing everything is colored dark grey without even thinking about complaining its color palette.

Im not calling out just MGS4, im calling out the entire series. Alot of games use a restricted color palette, for drama, easier to manage etc. The first look of LO has similar look, although it remains to be seen that LO will not change up the mood a bit. I would take a guess it will. If the past MGS games are indication what you see in the shots of MGS4, that brown color will be what you are looking at till the credits. Again, im not dissing the game the MGS games are fun. Im sure it will be as stellar as one can make in the color brown :)

SantaC said:
6fd86dda9adce0350edf44019928add4.jpg

wow how many polygons is in that model!
More than ten? Who cares, it looks awesome.

Snakes hair looks downgraded though and the polygon edges on the arm are noticible.

Don't mind me. I'm just being a graphics whore.

jett

D-Member
RamzaIsCool said:
hmm it's intresting to see that Snake is on his back in this pic, it's like he is throwing a grenade behind him.

I didn't notice he was laying down on his back...well now we know one more movement has been added to Snake's movelist. :p

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Vangellis said:
Im not calling out just MGS4, im calling out the entire series. Alot of games use a restricted color palette, for drama, easier to manage etc. The first look of LO has similar look, although it remains to be seen that LO will not change up the mood a bit. I would take a guess it will. If the past MGS games are indication what you see in the shots of MGS4, that brown color will be what you are looking at till the credits. Again, im not dissing the game the MGS games are fun. Im sure it will be as stellar as one can make in the color brown :)
Two of us have already mentioned that MGS3 features an incredibly varied color palette that changes significantly throughout the game.

jett said:
MGS3 has an extremely varied color pallette, just so you know. The middle-eastern environment in MGS4 is also just one of many.

It did have dominant colors to match each section though. Green for the forest, obviously, a brownish color for the mountain area ect. So as you said it changes to match the mood and the overall setting.

jett

D-Member
Vangellis said:

Yeah, you haven't played MGS3.

Vangellis

jett said:

Cool, then I look forward to see the other areas. Do you work on MGS4 you seem rather rabid about any critisms on art style of the game game.

In regards to MG3 thats the only version I never got around to beating. I was unaware of the change in art direction on it. If its different, then I stand corrected I guess I should try to finish it lol.

jett

D-Member
Vangellis said:
Cool, then I look forward to see the other areas. Do you work on MGS4 you seem rather rabid about any critisms on art style of the game game.

Haha no. :p My first post regarding the colors wasn't really directed at you, I hadn't read your post yet. :p

bud

IT'S HERE!!!

WATCH IT AND GET ANOTHER JOB BITCHES

mms://vod.gamespot.lgcdn.com/gskr/story/39235/39235400.asf

mms://vod.gamespot.lgcdn.com/gskr/story/39235/39235401.asf

thanks to lunlunqq

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Bud said:
IT'S HERE!!!

WATCH IT AND GET ANOTHER JOB BITCHES

mms://vod.gamespot.lgcdn.com/gskr/story/39235/39235400.asf

mms://vod.gamespot.lgcdn.com/gskr/story/39235/39235401.asf

thanks to lunlunqq

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT

*dies*

*watches trailer*

*dies again*

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TobitheCat said:
More than ten? Who cares, it looks awesome.

Snakes hair looks downgraded though and the polygon edges on the arm are noticible.
Poly edges were always noticeable on him. They are using texture mapping tricks to hide that, but it's visible when observing the model silhouette. From what I've observed so far, MGS games never try to excel in any one particular visual area, it's really the whole package that it's balanced, while exploiting the hardware to the maximum that makes them look so impressive.

Sonki.

Banned
This game looks incredible! The lighting is awesome!

Sadly, by the time this game comes out...the visual appeal will be lost. I think a lot of games by that time will definantly compete GRAPHICALLY.

karasu

Sonki. said:

Sadly, by the time this game comes out...the visual appeal will be lost. I think a lot of games by that time will definantly compete GRAPHICALLY.

talk about attempting to shit on a parade.

Sonki.

Banned
karasu said:

Shit on who's parade? Sony fanboys? I'm buying the goddamn game. What else do you want from me?

It's going to be the Doom 3 syndrome. IMO

Edit: I won't be playing the game based on graphics BTW, neither for the gameplay... as I think it is boring.

That's why I ALWAYS throw it on easy and just rip through it. (LOVE the storyline)

karasu said:
He's correct. Right now, MGS4 is STANDARD for next gen graphics, but when it comes out next year or the year after, it will be bottom of the barrell next gen graphics.

From the video, the animations aren't anything to cry home about. They look last gen even. When this game was first unveiled Kojima said they wanted to focus more on physics and animation rather than graphics. So I never expected MGS4 to be a graphical tour de force.

With all that said, I guess the reality is that this game has a long time in gestation, so hopefully the animation comes close to what we expected it be.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
TobitheCat said:
Right now, MGS4 is STANDARD for next gen graphics, but when it comes out next year or the year after, it will be bottom of the barrell next gen graphics.

:lol

TobitheCat said:
He's correct. Right now, MGS4 is STANDARD for next gen graphics, but when it comes out next year or the year after, it will be bottom of the barrell next gen graphics.

Oh for the love of god. And what the fçk is even with bringing this "It looks good now, but next year LOL! Bottom of the barrel" i've never seen such a lame excuse used to talk about a game graphisc.

Sonki.

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Oh for the love of god. And what the fçk is even with bringing this "It looks good now, but next year LOL! Bottom of the barrel" i've never seen such a lame excuse used to talk about a game graphisc.

Tobith took it too far by saying it will be bottom of the barrel. I brought up that fact because I thought until today that the game would come out earlier than late next year. Now, everyone here is talking about how awesome it looks (rightly deserved)... but it just won't be as amazing as it is today. BECAUSE I WONT BE ABLE TO PLAY IT UNTIL THEN. I can look at CG for all I care. I just want to play the game.

Lame excuse? Lame excuse for what?

SolidSnakex said:
Gawd forbid someone have a different opinion than yours! I won't bother arguing with another Kojima nut-tick. It'll just end up nowhere. You think the game looks great, that's good for you, but compared to other games on the PS3 coming out sooner, MGS4 pales in comparison.

I apologize for having higher standards in terms of graphics.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
TobitheCat said:
Gawd forbid someone have a different opinion than yours! I won't bother arguing with another Kojima nut-tick. It'll just end up nowhere. You think the game looks great, that's good for you, but compared to other games on the PS3 coming out sooner, MGS4 pales in comparison.

"God forbid" someone gets called out for saying that MGS4 will be bottom of the barrel next year. If you're going to make that sort of statement, expect that sort of reaction.

TobitheCat said:

So you just said that MGS4 is the standard for next gen. And now you turn around and say that it pales in comparison to PS3 games coming out sooner. What's it going to be next?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I'm getting a real emporers new clothes feeling here. It looks good, real good but nothing mindblowing. Definately better looking games coming up. I'm holding judgement till we see something other than washed out scans though. Or maybe ,just maybe, ingame footage .

EviLore said:
"God forbid" someone gets called out for saying that MGS4 will be bottom of the barrel next year. If you're going to make that sort of statement, expect that sort of reaction.
Why do I need to be "called out"? It's my opinion. I don't expect everyone to agree with my opinion, but I see PS3 games that look better than MGS4 already and that's what I base my opinion on. Add to this the fact that Kojima said himself that graphics in MGS4 would take a backseat to physics and animation.

Seriously, do you expect MGS4 to match up visually with other games released in 2007-2008? I'm not saying that MGS4 looks like shit, I'm saying that it's par for the course graphically.

xhadoukenx said:
I'm getting a real emporers new clothes feeling here. It looks good, real good but nothing mindblowing. Definately better looking games coming up. I'm holding judgement till we see something other than washed out scans though. Or maybe ,just maybe, ingame footage .
Shhhh...

In case you didn't notice, if you don't agree with the status quo that this game looks "mind-blowingly mindblowing", you'll get lambasted. Kojima am God and we are not even worthy of touching his shadow.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Ash Sparrow said:
Not ready to judge it from those scans, but i can honestly understand the downgrade remarks if i did.

That's the thing. You can't judge a scan to direct feed HD footage.

YOU JUST CAN'T!!

dark10x

Sonki. said:

I disagree. Each game produced by Kojima and his team have stood the test of time. MGS3 was running on very dated hardware when it was released in 2004 and was STILL a visual feast. MGS2 also remains quite an impressive piece of work along with the two ZOE titles.

Their games age well as a result of focusing on more than technology. It's the art direction, attention to detail, animation, and general look and feel of their games that keep them at the top.

eriously, do you expect MGS4 to match up visually with other games released in 2007-2008? I'm not saying that MGS4 looks like shit, I'm saying that it's par for the course graphically.
Absolutely.

it will be bottom of the barrell next gen graphics
How the hell could you even say that? Bottom of the barrel?! I point once again to their previous works and how well they've aged. When MGS2 was released in 2001, there was nothing else on par with it in terms of overall visual package.

FECordeau said:
so what you're really saying is that Kojima Productions will have to up the ante and outdo themselves and everyone else once again in 2010?
Your reading comprehension leaves much to be desired. I didn't say shit about what Kojima, has to do. I just stated my opinion that the game's graphics may be dated by the time it releases. The graphics are good, but they're nothing to write home about, IMO.
the game looks absolutely amazing. surely, i think i can force myself to stomach these graphics for a few years...
You are certainly entitled to your own tastes and opinions. Nothing wrong with that.

dark10x

The graphics are good, but they're nothing to write home about, IMO.
You're just spouting off all sorts of crazy things...

What, exactly, would you consider "graphics to write home about"?

bud

TobitheCat said:
Your reading comprehension leaves much to be desired. I didn't say shit about what Kojima, has to do. I just stated my opinion that the game's graphics may be dated by the time it releases. The graphics are good, but they're nothing to write home about, IMO.

You are certainly entitled to your own tastes and opinions. Nothing wrong with that.

First you say that MGS4 is the standard for next-gen graphics and then you say that it pales in comparison to other PS3 games that are coming out sooner.

Do you see what you did there?

Sonki.

Banned
dark10x said:
I disagree. Each game produced by Kojima and his team have stood the test of time. MGS3 was running on very dated hardware when it was released in 2004 and was STILL a visual feast. MGS2 also remains quite an impressive piece of work along with the two ZOE titles.

Maybe I should have said the technicallity of the game will be lost (lighting, etc). But I'm confident other games will give it a run for its money/moreso (graphically) by the time this game hits. But no where near "bottom of the barrel".

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sonki. said:
Maybe I should have said the technicallity of the game will be lost (lighting, etc). But I'm confident other games will give it a run for its money/moreso (graphically) by the time this game hits. But no where near "bottom of the barrel".

Fall or Winter 2007? What other games are you talking about?

Do you think this game won't keep getting better visually?

dark10x

jett said:
Yeah, I just looked through his post history. You can just feel the 360 love bubbling under the surface. "Yeah, that PS3 game looks OK....BUT NOT AS GOOD AS 360 OMG WTF AWESOME!!111"

I like how he is suggesting that other developers are all suddenly going to find themselves with artists as talented as those working for Kojima Productions. I mean, if MGS4 is bottom of the barrel, that must be true. Oh, but RAINBOW SIX VEGAS FTW. It's CLANCY and badass.

I think it will be still be fairly solid from a technical standpoint. MGS2 had competition on that front, but in the end, the mix of solid technology with outstanding art direction won out. Kojima Productions understands the BIG picture. They aren't going to waste memory of a 2048x2048 texture for a sewer lid or something. Too many developers spend too much time on specific things only to fall short in other areas. Kojima Productions always delivers products that are extremely high quality in ALL areas. That's why MGS4 will be tough to beat.

Look at something like Gears of War. Many consider it one of the best looking games on the horizon, and in some ways, they are totally right...but for every area where the game stands tall, there is another area where it is incredibly weak. They have an uneven product, visually speaking, and THAT is the norm in this industry. There simply aren't a lot of teams with the talent, vision, and budget that Kojima Productions brings to the table. What's the point in offering the best lighting engine ever when your animation is weak? That's what I'm getting at. The best products excel in ALL areas (and that includes gameplay, audio, visuals, polish, etc.).

Pimpwerx

TobitheCat said:
Shhhh...

In case you didn't notice, if you don't agree with the status quo that this game looks "mind-blowingly mindblowing", you'll get lambasted. Kojima am God and we are not even worthy of touching his shadow.
It's called being unnecessarily inflammatory, regardless of whether it's opinion or not. You'd have to be a real rube to not expect a harsh reaction to that kind of unjustified criticism. Frankly, it's a stupid opinion anyway. But if you're gonna spit on the locals, don't expect them to shower you with praise. Maybe you should save that opinion until after TGS, or for some other time. That or stfu and enjoy the drubbing you deserve. PEACE.

dark10x

TobitheCat said:
Not cumming all over MGS4??? Must be an Xbot, amirite? LAWLZ!
Judging from your post history, that's probably the best way to describe your posting style.

There is a difference between "not cumming all over" something and calling it "bottom of the barrel". You are straight up insulting some of the most talented people in the industry.

edit - Well, I was going to bring proof of his "XBOT" personality, as there is plenty of it, but it seems that he has left the area

Top Bottom