• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo hardware confirmed.

So we're in a thread linking an article that summarizes an article that summarizes another article. I love playing Telephone too!

Let's work back to the original:

また新ハードの開発も行っているとのことなので,追って発表されるだろう詳報を待ちたいところだ.

This is not a direct quote, this is a summary of what he said, and although I'm not quite sure of some of the subtle phrasing here, it says that Nintendo is working on new hardware and that an announcement could happen soon. Anybody who's better at this than I am is welcome to try to work out whether this is something Miyamoto said or the writer's opinion or what.

Kobun Heat said:
So we're in a thread linking an article that summarizes an article that summarizes another article. I love playing Telephone too!

This is not a direct quote, this is a summary of what he said, and although I'm not quite sure of some of the subtle phrasing here, it says that Nintendo is working on new hardware and that an announcement could happen soon. Anybody who's better at this than I am is welcome to try to work out whether this is something Miyamoto said or the writer's opinion or what.
Oh, this is interesting.

*Popcorn.gif

Someone stop the presses. Nintendo confirmed not to be going third party... YET....

Kobun Heat said:

NVM it seems there might be some validity in that GDC announcement rumor.

Zilch

Banned
I agree that this is non-news, but a key creative like Miyamoto talking to the press about new hardware is rather significant, IMO.

Agnates

Banned
Ugh... Yay for another round of circle jerking around the next Nintendo system just to downplay what's currently out as soon to be obsolete...

selig

Banned
Zilch said:
I agree that this is non-news, but a key creative like Miyamoto talking to the press about new hardware is rather significant, IMO.

it is news-worthy to "mention" it, like "we talked to miyamoto who talked about future hardware plans", not "NEW HARDWARE CONFIRMED, GIVE US YOU CLICKS!" and it didnt deserve its own topic.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
....yeah, just about everything funny I could say in response has already been said.
Just about the only useful thing gleaned from here is that if they're working on it now, its probably hitting in the next three years or so, so it looks like the Wii won't be a decade long.
Not sure how many people actually thought that, but...

Jeels said:
But, but BUT: it will get cloudy SOME DAY IN THE FUTURE [CONFIRMED!!!]
We need a 4G1U RIGHT NOW where they discuss this

David Hellman
: I went out to confirm the sky is blue thing
Ryan O'Donnell: Yeah, I talked about it with Sega rep Johnny K., amazing guy, and SO funny
David Ellis: Did I tell you about that one party he threw at Leipzig?
Ryan: I was there!
Hellman: So I went out to confirm it and there were all these clouds in the way
Ellis: So, wait, Nintendo let clouds in the way?
Ryan: Hahahaha, that sounds about right.
Hellman: Yeah, I can't believe they put clouds out there. Maybe they couldn't handle the framerate without it.
Ellis: I agree, that's certainly possible.
Sharkey: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Zilch

Banned
selig said:
it is news-worthy to "mention" it, like "we talked to miyamoto who talked about future hardware plans", not "NEW HARDWARE CONFIRMED, GIVE US YOU CLICKS!" and it didnt deserve its own topic.

Agreed that it doesn't need its own topic; it was posted in the other new Nintendo hardware thread hours ago.

But I take this sort of candid talk of future hardware to mean that the future is closer than we think.

[rumor] Resident Evil 5 confirmed for Xbox 360!

ninjaturtle.gif

ZeoVGM

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
Hopefully a handheld that can pump out 1999-2000 quality 3D visuals; and not another half assed NDS. 3D on DS should be against the Geneva Convention.

Games like KH look fine.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Genuinely surprised that a Video Game Manufacturer is *gasp* working on new hardware to *gasp* manufacture.

Here are two more rumors that I heard.

Sony is working on new Hardware

Microsoft is working on new Hardware

I still have to confirm both of those with my sources though, so don't cite me on Wiki yet.

Link1110

Please be a console! Please be a console!

Most of my games are handheld, and I don't want to shell out for a new system.

[Nintex]

DMeisterJ said:
Here are two more rumors that I heard.

Sony is working on new Hardware

Microsoft is working on new Hardware

I still have to confirm both of those with my sources though, so don't cite me on Wiki yet.
Yep and those are both launching in 2010. Nintendo won't sit around and wait for MS and Sony to slowly crawl into their market. They won't piss off third parties because no one has Wii games in development.

Black-Wind said:
Oh, this is interesting.

*Popcorn.gif

*Sigh

Fucking hell . . . I thought that maybe, just maybe, other people who could read JPN could talk about this but everyone is content with their retarded retelling of one joke . . .

*Throws away popcorn and takes a bath to prep self for UV laying.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
selig said:
are you kidding me?!

someone add 1up to the banned websites. They should have interviewed me, I could have told them that. And while they ask me, I´d also tell them that Nintendo is working on a Starfox-game, a new F-Zero-game, a new Animal Crossing, Smash Bros., and, and, and.
selig said:
I don't see how the article titles of "Miyamoto Speaks at Arts Festival" and "Shigeru Miyamoto Discusses New Nintendo Hardware" warrant such rage or how they are inapproriate at all. Miyamoto mentioned that they are working on new hardware and websites are reporting on it. I know video game journalism is prone to stupidity and such but this really doesn't seem to be an example of such, and your outrage rather mystifies me.

Zilch

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Fun fact, Nintendo was actually considering launching a new system in 2004/2005 but because the perfmance of the current system (GameCube) was good enough they decided not to go ahead with it.

[citation needed]

Chittagong

Gold Member
Carlisle said:
Watch M$ and $ony totally copy Nintendo on this move ONCE AGAIN. You heard it here first.

Yeah I bet there have been panic meetings today, people trying to figure out whose fault it is they didn't come up with the idea to work on new hardware like Nintendo

DMeisterJ

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Yep and those are both launching in 2010. Nintendo won't sit around and wait for MS and Sony to slowly crawl into their market. They won't piss off third parties because no one has Wii games in development.

Nintendo coming out with Wii Motion ++? [RUMOR]

grandjedi6 said:
I don't see how the article titles of "Miyamoto Speaks at Arts Festival" and "Shigeru Miyamoto Discusses New Nintendo Hardware" warrant such rage or how they are inapproriate at all. Miyamoto mentioned that they are working on new hardware and websites are reporting on it. I know video game journalism is prone to stupidity and such but this really doesn't seem to be an example of such, and your outrage rather mystifies me.
I think its because of people getting all uppity from the "New Nintendo console @ GDC rumor" thread and because people are odd and seem to hate the idea of Nintendo working off of their momentum to release a new handheld/ home console. :/

*goes to take that bath.

Somnid

[Nintex] said:
Fun fact, Nintendo was actually considering launching a new system in 2004/2005 but because the perfmance of the current system (GameCube) was good enough they decided not to go ahead with it.

Pretty sure that was just speculation formed from statements like these. Even if you believe that it just supports the idea that they won't make a transition.

+Aliken+

ahahaha shocking news :lol

It's like saying Sony and Microsoft are thinking about their next hardware... well I think that is pretty obvious. -_-'

trinest

OP is wrong to the craps- no new "Nintendo hardware" has been confirmed.

He has always been going on about the DS2 and Wii2 occasionaly anyway. Iwata does the same.

Osuwari

fuck, i came here expecting a new system and what i got was just an announcement of an announcement.

Nintendo is picking up bad Capcom habits...

[Nintex]

Zilch said:
[citation needed]
With all the Iwata's asks floating around finding quotes of the man isn't that easy.

Here's some nuggets I was able to find:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/news130503cubesuccessor
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/02/10/nintendo_to_ship_gamecube/

I've also dug up this from one my old hard drives:
DJ Nintendo Won't Release New Video Game Console -Nikkei (Dow Jones News Service)
Updated: Monday, February 09, 2004 12:11PM ET

OSAKA (Nikkei)--Nintendo Co. (7974.OK) has decided not to release a new video game console to follow its current GameCube for the time being, the Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported in its Tuesday edition.

The home-use game machine and software developer will instead diversify games and sell newly developed peripherals mainly for the GameCube. It will make games for the current model more appealing, while rivals Sony Corp. (6758.TO) and Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) plan to debut high-performance next-generation consoles that can be also used for non-game content such as movies and music.

Nintendo plans to release peripherals as early as 2005. Although details aren't yet known, these devices are expected to diversify playing styles by improving the gaming experience and connections with hand-held units rather than improve graphics and sound quality.

The decision to withhold the release of a new console was made because while the game market is contracting and becoming more diverse, "customers are fully satisfied with the performance of the current model," President Satoru Iwata said.

Nintendo will continue in-house development of a new home-use game machine for release in the future, but for the next two or three years will add functions to the GameCube.

The Japanese were right on the money when they said that Nintendo switched from an all new console to new controllers and upgraded sound and graphics for the GameCube that turned out to be the Wii.

Top Bottom