• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo hardware confirmed.

Jme

I speculate that it will be the WiiDS HD

This is an HD Wii that requires 2 television sets side by side.

andycapps said:
:lol True, starting to wonder if I wasted my money getting the black Wiimote. Either way, I like the look of the black wiimote.

That's what Nintendo has to be careful about. Someone feeling that they wasted their money buying the "current product" when a new one is about to be released.....

selig

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
I don't see how the article titles of "Miyamoto Speaks at Arts Festival" and "Shigeru Miyamoto Discusses New Nintendo Hardware" warrant such rage or how they are inapproriate at all. Miyamoto mentioned that they are working on new hardware and websites are reporting on it. I know video game journalism is prone to stupidity and such but this really doesn't seem to be an example of such, and your outrage rather mystifies me.

thats your second time today, grandjedi

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Black-Wind said:
I think its because of people getting all uppity from the "New Nintendo console @ GDC rumor" thread and because people are odd and seem to hate the idea of Nintendo working off of their momentum to release a new handheld/ home console. :/

*goes to take that bath.
Ah, well see I pretty much ignored that thread as I typically see no reason to devoted such time and energy to baseless rumors. But even then is that enough to warrant such a response? The immediate backlash against any suggestion of new hardware is just so odd.

selig said:
thats your second time today, grandjedi
What are you going on about now?

andycapps

gamergirly said:
That's what Nintendo has to be careful about. Someone feeling that they wasted their money buying the "current product" when a new one is about to be released.....

Well, I knew when I bought it that WiiPlus stands a good chance of not being supported by much more than the new Zelda and a handful of others, but that and that it was black was enough for me. I've gotten tired of the white wiimotes but my wife is fine with them. But I see what you're saying, and you're completely correct.

CaVaYeRo

DeaconKnowledge said:
The sky is blue [RUMOR]
Rabbitwork said:
So a major console manufacturer, the most successful this current cycle, is developing a successor to its current product?
Fascinating.

Yeah.

so from Andriasang's
Miyamoto himself mentioned these (...) utside of the brief, vague references to future Nintendo developments
to 1UP's (the best one)
Shigeru Miyamoto Discusses New Nintendo Hardware
to 1UP's
game designer says new hardware is on the way (...) Nintendo has finally confirmed that they're developing a new gaming system(...) We'll have to wait and see whether he's referring to the rumored Wii HD, a successor to the DS
to GAF's
New Nintendo Hardware confirmed
to GAF's edited
Miyamoto mentions new Nintendo hardware

:lol I expect this to be used and modified in a lot of "news" entries in gaming media, of course including own bets such a GDC announcement.

For the record: they always mention they're always making new hardware/software, and "mentions" like this were made many times since the Wii launch.

Dogenzaka

Banned
A white box, thinner than the Wii, that plays all the games for you.

The only button for the entire platform is ON/OFF.

Still doesn't do HD.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
andycapps said:
Well, I knew when I bought it that WiiPlus stands a good chance of not being supported by much more than the new Zelda and a handful of others, but that and that it was black was enough for me. I've gotten tired of the white wiimotes but my wife is fine with them. But I see what you're saying, and you're completely correct.
If they market it properly, they might minimize the damage. Yell from the rooftops "hey, consumers, we're making something new!" and people might just stop buying Wiis and wait for the next system. Yeah, they suffer a temporary decline in sales, but they also aren't as likely to alienate their new casual consumers who aren't used to the generational model, at least as it applies to video games.

daycru

ShockingAlberto said:
We need a 4G1U RIGHT NOW where they discuss this

David Hellman
: I went out to confirm the sky is blue thing
Ryan O'Donnell: Yeah, I talked about it with Sega rep Johnny K., amazing guy, and SO funny
David Ellis: Did I tell you about that one party he threw at Leipzig?
Ryan: I was there!
Hellman: So I went out to confirm it and there were all these clouds in the way
Ellis: So, wait, Nintendo let clouds in the way?
Ryan: Hahahaha, that sounds about right.
Hellman: Yeah, I can't believe they put clouds out there. Maybe they couldn't handle the framerate without it.
Ellis: I agree, that's certainly possible.
Sharkey: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
I lol'd

Chittagong

Gold Member
[Nintex said:
]DJ Nintendo Won't Release New Video Game Console -Nikkei (Dow Jones News Service)
Updated: Monday, February 09, 2004 12:11PM ET

OSAKA (Nikkei)--Nintendo Co. (7974.OK) has decided not to release a new video game console to follow its current GameCube for the time being, the Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported in its Tuesday edition.

The home-use game machine and software developer will instead diversify games and sell newly developed peripherals mainly for the GameCube. It will make games for the current model more appealing, while rivals Sony Corp. (6758.TO) and Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) plan to debut high-performance next-generation consoles that can be also used for non-game content such as movies and music.

Nintendo plans to release peripherals as early as 2005. Although details aren't yet known, these devices are expected to diversify playing styles by improving the gaming experience and connections with hand-held units rather than improve graphics and sound quality.

The decision to withhold the release of a new console was made because while the game market is contracting and becoming more diverse, "customers are fully satisfied with the performance of the current model," President Satoru Iwata said.

Nintendo will continue in-house development of a new home-use game machine for release in the future, but for the next two or three years will add functions to the GameCube.

Nintendo really pulled emperor's new clothes with us with Wii, convincing us that it's an all-new console. Clearly the whole thing started from a GameCube accessory and at some point they realized that they just might get away by repackaging it and acting as if it'd be a new generation. Absolute marketing genius.

This makes the next generation Nintendo console even more interesting because clearly GameCube tech has come to the end of the road. At this point I have absolutely no idea what Nintendo could do next.

K' Dash

wii-nintendo-on.png

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
JetBlackPanda said:
I just bought a Wii over the weekend should i be pissed off?

help me GAF!!
send it back or you'll have sony's witnesses knocking on your door in the morning giving you pamphlets and stuff.

Bizzyb

Banned
The way I look at it, Nintendo KNOWS they can not honestly expect Wii hardware to hold up for another 4+ years. Not with HD consoles going motion controlled AND eventually coming down in price. Software helps but software alone can't do it. Hardcore and Casuals alike will have lost way too much interest for Nintendo to successfully make up lost ground, or at least Nintendo is not willing to take that chance.

Nintendo will likely release SOMETHING within the next 15 months. Unlike their Software strategy (and based on SEGA Saturn's blunder) they won't do a 2 month-announce-to-launch strategy. No way in hell will they release something without giving it a 5+ months (or so) heads up to the general public and investors.

Based on this my prediction is it will be announced (not necessarily released) sometime within the next 10 months, or in other words, sometime this year. Eh, just my prediction anyways. I doubt Miyamoto would bother bringing it up if it were more than 15 months away

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Chittagong said:
Nintendo really pulled emperor's new clothes with us with Wii, convincing us that it's an all-new console. Clearly the whole thing started from a GameCube accessory and at some point they realized that they just might get away by repackaging it and acting as if it'd be a new generation. Absolute marketing genius.

This makes the next generation Nintendo console even more interesting because clearly GameCube tech has come to the end of the road. At this point I have absolutely no idea what Nintendo could do next.

I agree that the third (and unused) port on the bottom of the GCN was probably for the pre-Revolution sensor bar (as it had a carved out hole for a cord to come out of) thusly making the GCN a Wii. However, it's quite obvious Nintendo (having so many problems with the GCN's mindshare) HAD to release a new system instead of putting a good idea (the Wiimote) onto the GCN.

Yet, you would think (going by the many EXP ports on the GCN) that they woulda put an EXP on the Wii...but they didn't! It kinda blows my mind. Imagine if the Wii had an EXP for further boosting the Wii's capacilities allowing us to "upgrade" it to HD. Because of the lack of that feature in the design Nintendo had basically forced themselves to improve the Wii over time via new controllers/ peripherals.

Really makes you think what could've been and why they seemingly deliberatly left out an EXP port on the Wii when the SNES, N64 & GCN all had them before it???

Now, in order to improve the baser features of the Wii, Nintendo is almost be forced to have to make a new system.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Josh7289 said:
I hate this thread.
ilikewherethisthreadisgoing.gif

Raydeen

All three hardware systems are rolling along nicely. No need for any more consoles to be released until 2012 at earliest.

Bizzyb said:
The way I look at it, Nintendo KNOWS they can not honestly expect Wii hardware to hold up for another 4+ years. Not with HD consoles going motion controlled AND eventually coming down in price. Software helps but software alone can't do it. Hardcore and Casuals alike will have lost way too much interest for Nintendo to successfully make up lost ground, or at least Nintendo is not willing to take that chance.

Nintendo will likely release SOMETHING within the next 15 months. Unlike their Software strategy (and based on SEGA Saturn's blunder) they won't do a 2 month-announce-to-launch strategy. No way in hell will they release something without giving it a 5+ months (or so) heads up to the general public and investors.

Based on this my prediction is it will be announced (not necessarily released) sometime within the next 10 months, or in other words, sometime this year. Eh, just my prediction anyways. I doubt Miyamoto would bother bringing it up if it were more than 15 months away
Earliest I can see is E3 for the reveal, and November for launch. That is of course "worst case senario."

Rabbitwork said:
So a major console manufacturer, the most successful this current cycle, is developing a successor to its current product?

Fascinating.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

This is not the route to blogging stardom

Top Bottom