• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Orleans Police Shoots Black Man In the Head, Doesn’t Report Incident For 2 Days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I miss the announcement where they said it was open season on Black America if your an officer?

I've never been straight up fuck the Police, but ya know I'm starting to think that 2Pac was on to something.

Very few people bear arms because they fear the cops. More likely they think they can act like cops. Also, pulling a gun on a cop is insane.

Something like that happened last month: http://www.indystar.com/story/news/...fficers-reflects-lingering-tensions/14101957/ And a little before that: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...er-shot-traffic-stop-scottsdale-abrk/9534125/

While I'm not defending bad cops, but the truth, as they say, is a doubled edged sworded. The militarization of the police is largely a reflection of our society as a whole.

iKx1VpnyR6xFV.gif

Enzom21

Very few people bear arms because they fear the cops. More likely they think they can act like cops. Also, pulling a gun on a cop is insane.

Something like that happened last month: http://www.indystar.com/story/news/...fficers-reflects-lingering-tensions/14101957/ And a little before that: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...er-shot-traffic-stop-scottsdale-abrk/9534125/

While I'm not defending bad cops, but the truth, as they say, is a doubled edged sworded. The militarization of the police is largely a reflection of our society as a whole.
That's a load of bulllshit. The people who own most of the guns in this country are white people and the people are often killed by cops are black people.
Cops are becoming militarized because most people in law enforcement have a hard on for the military. They think they're at war.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

This is cute.

MormaPope

Banned
Fact is, police treat black people and plenty of other people in general like they're below them, that they can do what they want, and that the person they're abusing probably deserves it. This isn't a new problem.

Nowadays police kill people. Why? Because there is no fear of the repercussions for acting on fucked and wrong principle. If you kill a police officer in self defense, and you're white, you'll need a lot of luck to not get charged with something severe. If you kill a police officer in self defense, and you're black?

Off the dungeon or gallows, you'll never be part of society again.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Fact is, police treat black people and plenty of other people in general like they're below them, that they can do what they want, and that the person they're abusing probably deserves it. This isn't a new problem.

Nowadays police kill people. Why? Because there is no fear of the repercussions for acting on fucked and wrong principle. If you kill a police officer in self defense, and you're white, you'll need a lot of luck to not get charged with something severe. If you kill a police officer in self defense, and you're black?

Off the dungeon or gallows, you'll never be part of society again.

insanity plea

HyperionX

That's a load of bulllshit. The people who own most of the guns in this country are white people and the people are often killed by cops are black people.

I'm not saying black people are a major part of this. White people are the main source of this mentality from what I see. Add in general racism to the mix and you get what you see.

Cops are becoming militarized because most people in law enforcement have a hard on for the military. They think they're at war.

Why do cops have a hard-on for the military if we aren't a very militarized society? I think you've just proved my point.

HyperionX

You know who owns a lot of guns? Southern white people. Find me constant police murders involving people that legally own firearms. Shady or people involved with organized crime murder police throughout the country? Shocking. Crime in the United States has gone down significantly in the past 20 years. You keep pulling shit out of your ass.

I'm just pointing out how much police fear ordinary people. That fear, even if it just comes from one dead officer every once in a while, is what's driving it. I don't have hard statistics back this up unfortunately.

Innocent people have been murdered, and you blame society, instead of the fucked up police culture.

At this point people have to worry about defending themselves from police. Meanwhile here you are blaming civilians for police fuck ups.

Why is the police culture so fucked up? You can identify the symptom, but maybe not the disease.

Realize you're defending police paranoia and the lack of respect they have for human life.

I'm not. I'm pointing out that a lot of people are just as paranoid and have a lack of respect for human life. The police just so happen to be a part of it.

Sorry, no. This is bullshit. Crime has gone down across the board in the US, while the police has become increasingly aggressive and militarized, and more people than ever are shot and imprisoned. Mostly black and brown men. Cops are not out arresting, frisking, harassing, beating and killing armed white people.

I agree there is a lot of racism here. But the militarization of the police is being driven by another source and not just racism.

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not saying black people are a major part of this. White people are the main source of this mentality from what I see. Add in general racism to the mix and you get what you see.

So white people arming themselves allows police officers to target blacks due to a militarization of civilians the police perceive. And then throw general racism on top like a cherry?

Why do cops have a hard-on for the military if we aren't a very militarized society? I think you've just proved my point.

Ummm, because bills were passed that allowed police forces to free military weapons, armour and vehicles.

There are well documented studies showing the US police force becoming increasingly aggressive since obtaining the military's surplus of weapons and gear.

Edit: But yes I do agree the US is very pro military.

ramuh

I'm curious as to what you mean by general racism? Like all European-American people are general racists and that contributes to cops killing African-Americans?

I'm curious as to what you mean by general racism? Like all European-American people are general racists and that contributes to cops killing African-Americans?

Lets not go there please. I believe the vast, vast majority of white people find what is happening beyond reprehensible.

Piecake

Thats complete bullshit. Society is safer now than it was in the 1970s, before the militarization of the police force. A lot safer

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just pointing out how much police fear ordinary people. That fear, even if it just comes from one dead officer every once in a while, is what's driving it. I don't have hard statistics back this up unfortunately.

Why is the police culture so fucked up? You can identify the symptom, but maybe not the disease.

I'm not. I'm pointing out that a lot of people are just as paranoid and have a lack of respect for human life. The police just so happen to be a part of it.

I agree there is a lot of racism here. But the militarization of the police is being driven by another source and not just racism.

The police get paid to do this, if they can't handle their irrational fear they need to quit. The american people don't need to give up their rights in order to make them less paranoid.

Even in war zones there are rules of engagements and soldiers are held to a higher standard then these yahoos.

Of the people I know from high school who became cops 3 were the biggest bullies and always thought they were above everyone even back the then. Not to mention how they see people now and what they post on Facebook about civilians.

ramuh

Lets not go there please. I believe the vast, vast majority of white people find what is happening beyond reprehensible.

Eh. I am in agreement that the vast majority of European-Americans don't enjoy militarization of the police. I think the culture can lead to more repression of civil liberties that apply to all American citizens. I was just asking a question. Won't derail the thread, promise. :)

As long as the cops feel threatened by ordinary people they will continue to be militarized. It's unfortunate that so many people don't realize this.

This is a lie that liberals tell in order to justify gun control, but it doesn't mesh with the facts. The militarization of the police is the direct consequence of the war on drugs, as well as the mandate to crush civil unrest. The later is why we see these army toys most often at peaceful protests. After the police and federal government crushed the civil movements of the 1960's they have been focused on improving their ability to suppress any future dissent.

The reason why the black community bears the brunt of this state violence is because - as the most economically oppressed group - blacks are the most likely to support revolutionary action. The mass incarceration of black men and military occupation of black neighborhoods is a means of stripping the black community of those who would be first to engage in revolutionary action.

Ummm, because bills were passed that allowed police forces to free military weapons, armour and vehicles.

There are well documented studies showing the US police force becoming increasingly aggressive since obtaining the military's surplus of weapons and gear.

While I am concerned about the militarization of the police (i.e. drones, APCs etc), there is actually military equipment that can help certain communities. I live in the rural U.S. and surplus four-wheel drive military vehicles really do come in handy during the winter. And while none of the local police forces have Humvees or anything, there have been two winters in recent years when the national guard had to be called in here just to help police respond to calls, check on older people, drive dispatchers to work, go on ems calls, etc. Not all military equipment is inherently evil.

HyperionX

Thats complete bullshit. Society is safer now than it was in the 1970s, before the militarization of the police force. A lot safer

This has nothing to do with real safety. The police, and many ordinary people, are more paranoid than ever before. They rub off of each other.

So white people arming themselves allows police officers to target blacks due to a militarization of civilians the police perceive. And then throw general racism on top like a cherry?

Pretty close. I would just add that there is a lot of armed crime as a result of how militant our society is, and its the armed crime that makes police behave that way.

A lot of that gear came from the Iraq war, which in itself was caused by the neoconservative policies, which in turn was part of the pro-military thinking prevalent in our politics.

You're right that that caused a lot of this, but I think that's still just an indirect part of how militarized our society is.

This has nothing to do with real safety. The police, and many ordinary people, are more paranoid than ever before. They rub off of each other.

Pretty close. I would just add that there is a lot of armed crime as a result of how militant our society is, and its the armed crime that makes police behave that way.

A lot of that gear came from the Iraq war, which in itself was caused by the neoconservative policies, which in turn was part of the pro-military thinking prevalent in our politics.

You're right that that caused a lot of this, but I think that's still just an indirect part of how militarized our society is.

Aaaaallll of this has been pulled out of your ass.

Piecake

Thats where the best facts come from. He seems to be suffering from old man syndrome. Back in my day, the world was better blah blah blah.

Devil in the Grove

If anyone thinks police officers were less paranoid and felt less threatened by the people they were 'protecting' they should read this book. Hopefully it will clear your mind of your delusion.

HyperionX

This is a lie that liberals tell in order to justify gun control, but it doesn't mesh with the facts. The militarization of the police is the direct consequence of the war on drugs, as well as the mandate to crush civil unrest. The later is why we see these army toys most often at peaceful protests. After the police and federal government crushed the civil movements of the 1960's they have been focused on improving their ability to suppress any future dissent.

The reason why the black community bears the brunt of this state violence is because - as the most economically oppressed group - blacks are the most likely to support revolutionary action. The mass incarceration of black men and military occupation of black neighborhoods is a means of stripping the black community of those who would be first to engage in revolutionary action.

You've wrote your own refutation:

I don't often agree with HyperionX, but in this he/she is 100% correct. Da fuq you smokin?

Our police force is absolutely militarized. Instead of "protect and serve" it's "dominate and destroy", Doubly so in minority area's where the perception is that the people there don't have much political power.

HyperionX

I don't often agree with HyperionX, but in this he/she is 100% correct. Da fuq you smokin?

Our police force is absolutely militarized. Instead of "protect and serve" it's "dominate and destroy", Doubly so in minority area's where the perception is that the people there don't have much political power.

That's great that we are agreeing on something. I hope you'll realize someday that we actually have to disarm everyone at the same time and not just the police. ;)

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member

This society has always been armed. It was actually more dangerous in the past with prohibition, the whole drug cartels of the 70's and 80s and what not.

Yes.

Thats where the best facts come from. He seems to be suffering from old man syndrome. Back in my day, the world was better blah blah blah.

Devil in the Grove

If anyone thinks police officers were less paranoid and felt less threatened by the people they were 'protecting' they should read this book. Hopefully it will clear your mind of your delusion.

Don't insult old men ;) it was more dangerous and more automatic weapons by criminals when I was growing up.

So it's because white people are arming themselves and the police are attacking blacks due to whites arming themselves?

MormaPope

Banned

Devil in the Grove

Sounds like an excellent book.

That's great that we are agreeing on something. I hope you'll realize someday that we actually have to disarm everyone at the same time and not just the police. ;)

I too agree it's great we agree on something. At the end of the day I think we have more in common than either of us would think. But given what we're seeing and you want me as a minority to give up my arms?
haha-no-o.gif

no thanks, as long as the police have guns ill keep mine.

denzel_intro.jpg

So it's because white people are arming themselves and the police are attacking blacks due to whites arming themselves?

The police fuck w/ communities they know won't fight back. Look @ the Bundy Ranch situation. White guys with guns and a willingness to use it and the authorities back down. Unarmed civilans in Missouri and you have a large militarized force. The cops are militarized for a variety of reason. Not all are racial. Some are cultural. There's been a cultural shift in the last 20 years w/ that. But at the end of the day cops are absolutely more heavyhanded with Black for a variety of reasons. Some are because many cops honestly believe Black suspects are more inclined to be guilty. Some because they know they're more likely to get away with strong-arm tactics w/o the minority community getting a lawyer and causing a stink.

Jado

Banned

What part of kame's post do you disagree with? The federal govt did prematurely end the civil rights movement out of fear of black violence and possible spread of communism. And the war on drugs did militarize the police and lead to increased violence and incarceration against minorities despite crime beginning to drop before the drug war started. The latter is outlined in plain English in the book he posted above.

What part of kame's post do you disagree with? The federal govt did prematurely end the civil rights movement out of fear of black violence and possible spread of communism. And the war on drugs did militarize the police and lead to increased violence and incarceration against minorities despite crime beginning to drop before the drug war started. The latter is outlined in plain English in the book he posted above.

Wasn't the war on drugs that militarized the cops. Was happening waaaaay before that. In "certain" communities. Way before reefer madness. Just hasn't been talked about and documented until the last few years... The cop on Black man violence been going on for centuries. Also see the part where what Hyperion said was pulled out the ass. I generally agreed with that. But if I'm misunderstanding/miscomprehending something then please clarify (and forgive me...)

Apt101

The report says an officer was hurt. What, she hurt her hand pulling the trigger, or graze another cop while firing rounds at a man running away from her?

Azulsky

The One and Done™;125632715 said:
Not like this is happening very often though.

Cops kill plenty of people in New Orleans. We arent just some 1 time per decade trick pony like NYC and Ferguson. We have a reputation to uphold.

NOPD Police Chief is an incompetent idiot.

I dont see how its possible to judge the situation without knowing everything. Algiers is not a fun neighborhood.

Jado

Banned
The report says an officer was hurt. What, she hurt her hand pulling the trigger, or graze another cop while firing rounds at a man running away from her?

If Armand had hurt her in some way, it would have come out in the report. My guess is she hurt herself shooting and chasing after him.

Seth C

If anyone else did that it would be attempted murder and about a dozen other charges. Fuck this shit. So tired of it. All we have to do is apply the law to cops. That's IT.

JDSN

Banned
Bla bla gentle giant blabla wheres the white people testimony blablabla devil's advocate blabla black sharingan blabla theres some footage missing blablabla leave thread when past racists posts are revealed.

"Disarm all police" the fuck is this bullshit?

Watch this video and tell me cops don't need weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuOEJKiKELA

Most people are talking about police not carrying sidearms. We don't want cops walking around with guns on their hips because it causes them to use them when it's not necessary. Having guns at the station or in the vehicle is a different story.

Wasn't the war on drugs that militarized the cops. Was happening waaaaay before that. In "certain" communities.

We're not talking about brutality. We're talking about military equipment - vests, ARs, armored vehicles, etc. That didn't start until the post civil-rights era.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
People are keeping guns because the police have guns and you're scared? So what, you're gonna possibly get in a shootout with police? When has that ever lead to a good result? "The police have guns so I need a gun" makes no sense. Its paranoid to the point of near-insanity.

People are keeping guns because the police have guns and you're scared? So what, you're gonna possibly get in a shootout with police? When has that ever lead to a good result?

Black-Panther-Party-armed-guards-in-street-shotguns.jpg

On October 28, 1967,[42] Oakland police officer John Frey was shot to death in an altercation with Huey P. Newton during a traffic stop. In the stop, Newton and backup officer Herbert Heanes also suffered gunshot wounds. Newton was convicted of voluntary manslaughter at trial.

At the time, Newton claimed that he had been falsely accused, leading to the "Free Huey" campaign. This incident gained the party even wider recognition by the radical American left.[43] Newton was released after three years, when his conviction was reversed on appeal.​

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Panthers#Huey_Newton_charged_with_murdering_John_Frey

I totally understand where you're coming from, but I don't think we ought to perpetuate the idea that black people are powerless to defend themselves against a violent attack. When you are being assaulted and the only other alternative is death, self-defense is the most logical choice. Otherwise, we are creating a culture of helplessness and raising a generation of would-be victims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom