• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Witcher 3 information from Gamestar

Mifec

And the rest of us are just stuck with it, then?

And that's not even a performance thing that "consoles don't need".. CA is free, it's purely cosmetic, and the toggle should be in all versions.

Well you don't buy consoles to toggle graphical options on/off now do you? Aside from unlocking the framerate do any consoles games even have options?

Jedi2016

Well it isn't free (it is a pixel shader), but a toggle for all versions would be germane.
It's an image filter, actually, like color grading. And granted, nothing is free, but effects like this cost far less than even AF, which is something generally considered "free" for PC gamers. I would be very surprised if CA cost as much as a single fps.

It's an image filter, actually, like color grading. And granted, nothing is free, but effects like this cost far less than even AF, which is something generally considered "free" for PC gamers. I would be very surprised if CA cost as much as a single fps.

Which... is done in a pixel shader :p

But it should be trivial in performance probably.

SaberEdge

Nice to know we'll be able to turn it off in the PC settings, even if I'm not really noticing any issue with it in the videos and screenshots.

erawsd

Not enough info for a new thread but some stuff about the economy that I haven't heard before:

- Sell value varies depending on the region. Ex: The people of No Mans Land are starving, so traders in the area will give you the best price for food.

- Certain vendors will also pay more for things relevant to their profession. Blacksmiths will pay more for metal than other traders.

- Game has 3 currencies. Novigrad Crown, Temerian Oren, and the Nilfgaardian Flora. Since Temeria has been conquered some traders will refuse to accept Orens, preferring the flora instead.

- If you visit the Vivaldi bank in Novigrad youll be able to exchange currencies for the Crown. You cannot make deposits but you will be able to take out loans.

http://www.gamer.ru/the-witcher-3-w...ubom-shamavekom-stsenaristom-cd-projekt-red-2

Denton

Translation of russian interview from CDP forums. Questions in italics. This will be the best game ever.

Interview with CD Projekt RED's senior writer Jakub Szamałek.

The three hours playing session was undoubtedly the main but not the only item on the agenda on Russian hands-on event. After playing the demo at the event, all participants had the opportunity for a little chat with the developers and ask them a few questions. Of course, I could not resist not to take advantage of this opportunity, though I was terribly worried with a thought that I would have to do interview for the first time in my life, and in English language. I was ready to despair, but then to my aid came my friend Kitty Venom and Valentina Zlobina, PR-manager of CDPR in the CIS, they managed to psychologically support me in this difficult situation, for what they have my deep gratitude.

I had conversation with a senior writer of the game Jakub Szamałek, a very extraordinary man and at his homeland, in Poland, known not only by his involvement in creation of "The Witcher 3". Jakub is historian and archaeologist by his basic education, and he is a doctorate of Cambridge University in the field of ancient history and archeology of the Mediterranean and Middle East. Even before the beginning of his cooperation with CD Projekt RED (from May 2012 to date) he revealed himself as a talented writer, an author of historical detectives. His first novel, "Kiedy Atena odwraca wzrok» («When Athena turns eyes away»; the action takes place in ancient Athens), was released in 2011 and was not only well received by critics, but also at the same year was awarded with the prize "Readers' Choice" at the International Festival of detective fiction in Wroclaw. The second novel of Jakub, "Morze Niegościnne» («Unwelcoming Sea»), dedicated to the events in the ancient Greek colonies of the Black Sea, appeared in 2013. Knowing about what kind of extraordinary people working on the third story of "The Witcher", it was impossible not to ask:

What precisely was your area of ​​responsibility as a writer of the game: the side quests, something else?

Our team consisted of five people, and we are responsible for almost everything that has to do with the plot. We have developed a general plot outline, all the main quests, side quests, small quests etc. Personally, I did all the quests for the Prologue, both main and side. What you saw today was, for the most part, written by me. The other part [meaning the quest at the Skellig archipelago - Elle's note] did my colleagues.

I noticed that every quest in the Prologue is unique.

Yes, they are. We have, and it should be particularly emphasized, that there is no [automatically] generated quests. At one time we tried to experiment with this, but the quests out boring and primitive, the characters were deprived of depth, and while doing the quests, you had to repeat the same action all the time. Such situations is not favorable for us, and we decided to do otherwise. In our game every quest that you meet, was made by hand.

In other games with open world there are quests like "go-kill", "go-fetch", "go-gather"... It's really boring.

Oh, no, definitely no such quests for The Witcher 3. We would like to have each character having their own story. Even if they do not tell you everything, we as the authors know why these people behave like this in one way or another. We deliberately tried to get away from the same scene pattern, such as "go to some place, do something there and go back"; we sought to diversify the structure of the narrative. For example, you are going to kill the monster and find that it is not in place, or you figure out what man who gives you a contract is trying to cheat you, or when you come back and he telling you that you will get only half the agreed amount of payment for your work... In general, each time you can expect something new. It's much more realistic, isn't it?

Totally agree with you... Tell me, is there any gameplay decisions, game mechanics that you particularly like, perhaps your favorite?

I really like the way we have implemented this kind of quests, as hunting monsters. When you travel from town to town, you can of course follow the storyline. However, the inhabitants of each locality, gets on your road, have their own problems, and you, as a Witcher, can help solve them. In the vicinity of many villages there are monsters, and the peasants who would like to get rid of them. These quests begin about the same, but we tried to turn each of them into a small story with an unexpected and confusing plot, in which Geralt will have to delve into the secrets of the local community and to establish the true motives and intentions of the people. Implementation of these quests will allow to earn experience and gain better equipment, as well as learn something intriguing and meet interesting people.

I also like our mechanics of bargaining. When you sign up for the execution of the contract, you can bargain. People either accept your terms, or offer their own, cheaper price. It's a simple system, but it allows you to feel yourself as a Witcher. In the game, as well as in the books, The Witcher have to deal with extremely dangerous work for very little money, and customers never want to pay what should been paid or screaming that they been robbed. I think the opportunity to bargain will allow you to experience it all on yourself, that's why I like it so much.

(I noticed the bargaining system during the playing session. While being in contract negotiations Geralt now free to disagree with the proposed amount, and offer his own, higher. What kind of an increase to the base fee will receive Geralt as a result, depends on irriation indicatior of a quest giver. Increase the original price to infinity, and of course, it wouldn't work, but to recieve the extra 20-25% is fairly possible. - Elle's note.)

Whether we will have the opportunity not to kill the monster, but also to save him?

Yes it is possible. Geralt basically kills the monsters that are dangerous to people, but there are reasonable monsters who have a valid reason to show aggression. You might met a monster with whom the locals treated badly, and even then you have to decide whether to kill it or, on the contrary, to deal with people who put a contract on it. There will be some monsters who will assist you in the fulfillment of certain side quests. In any case, you have to expect a few different scenarios.

Oh, I imagine the monster that screams: "Do not kill me, I can still be of use!". Are there be monsters helping Geralt fight against people?!

Well, yes, sometimes you will be able to trust the monster and use it to track down someone.

You mentioned the opportunity to bargain. Please tell us in detail about the economic system in the game. I understand that it will be more difficult than in previous installments?

In The Witcher 3, there are several regions, each with its own economy. You, if you wish, can engage in trade and make money by delivering certain goods from one region to another. No man's land, in Velen, say, the people are very poor and starving. If you buy food anywhere and will bring it back with you an they will give the best price. Also, some dealers are willing to pay you more for certain goods. For example, metal smiths will give you a higher price than other traders.

In some cases, Geralt will be able to influence the state of the local economy. For example, in the vicinity of some villages inhabited by a monster who terrorizes the village. If witcher kills the beast, then he will be able to subsequently buy goods from local merchants at lower prices, because with death of the creature roads will be safer, and trade become more brisk. And in such situation everything would be a little easier even for you.

We have a few in-game currency. The main currency - Novigradian Crown. They can be accepted everywhere. In addition, there is the second additional currency - Temerian Orens, that had circulated in the previous games, and Nilfgaardian Florins. After the Nilfgaard conquest of the former Temeria, some traders refuse to accept Orens, preferring to trade for florins. To avoid problems with a variety of currencies, Geralt can collect them, and then, once in Novigrad, exchange [for the crown] in Vivaldi's bank, which was mentioned in the book. Thus, the economic system we got is really complicated and, at the same time, quite realistic.

Geralt will be able to make deposits in banks of Novigrad?

As I recall, this option, as deposits, is not available in the game, but you will be able to take a loan in the bank and then buy something you want.

An analogue of the credit card?

Yes it is. Why not?

What about percents?

Well, first you have to pay for previously received credit before taking the new one.

In one of the screenshots of inventory I noticed, among other things, elements of harness. Does this mean that we will be able to improve Roach?

You can't improve the horse itself, but you will have the opportunity to improve its equipment. If, for example, you hang on the improved saddlebag, the capacity of your equipment will increase, and you can carry more items in it. If you got the improved seat, which, incidentally, can be won by participating in the races, it will increase endurance of horse, and it can perform longer gallop. Reduce anxiety with help of blinders. Without them, Roach might fear to panic and throw you out of the saddle at the most inopportune moment. With blinders it will cease to be afraid of monsters and will deliver much less hassle while mounted combat.

(Horses in the game having two main characteristics: stamina and anxiety. The first is responsible for the time during which the mare can race at a gallop; the second - for the level of tranquility/panic. If somwhere near will show up a predator or a monster the anxiety begins to grow. - Elle's note.)

Besides the backpack of Geralt and saddlebags of Roach, what else will be included in the game as a storage for loot? In the previous games we had special chests. We put all kind of stuff in the trunk in one chapter and then take them out of the same trunk in another chapter.

Honestly, I'm not sure that this time we will have something similar. I think you have to for the most part, carrying them all along.

Unfortunately, the time allotted for our conversation with you is expire. Let me ask one last question. In a January interview with Adam Badowski which I translated for Russian fans of The Witcher, there was said that at this point ingame option of ubersempling is currently locked. This information is, to my surprise, very excited the members of our community, and they began to wonder wheither if this option will be unavailable on a first day of release and days after it?

I'm not exactly sure, but I think that it will be available when the game will be released in May. And if you have an nVidia card, you can enable HairWorks.

Thank you very much Jakub. After today's presentation we are looking forward to this amazing game with even stronger passion, a game from such an amazing team.

Thanks to Natalia "Elle" Orlova from Gamer.ru for awesome interview material.

Daverid

^

So you can't even enable HairWorks on AMD?

You can, most likely he just threw out a poorly worded comment or a bad translation. Hairworks (In TW3) is definitely compatible with AMD cards, how well optimized it is and all that jazz, we'll have to wait and see.

Cartoons

Banned
Good to hear the quests won't just be "Kill this monster" and might have more depth to them, like the Troll quest in Witcher 2 where you could either kill him or help him. The beacon of goodness I am, I always tried to help.

Kezen

Banned
^

So you can't even enable HairWorks on AMD?

You can enable Hairworks on AMD cards in COD Ghosts and Far Cry 4. But that does not mean it will apply for The Witcher 3, for all we know Nvidia could restrict it to Nvidia GPUs.

Considering it uses tessellation it will probably not run too well on GCN hardware barring Tonga.

Lunar15

I feel like the dialogue about the quests in this game is getting a bit weird. I get a general sense that people are expecting something fresh here, but what we've seen isn't really indicative of anything all that revolutionary. It's still "Talk to this person, initiate some dialogue with other NPC's, eventually kill a monster". There's a general tendency for people to bemoan fetch-quests and champion the fact that the game doesn't have it, but in a way, it still does: You'll have to gather materials to craft weapons and upgrades for your equipment.

I'm confident the game will be great and I'm excited to see the writing in the game, as it was pretty great in the last two. But I'm not really seeing where this game deviates all that much from the norm in terms of quests. Perhaps from different Dragon Age, but it seems to fall in line with say, New Vegas, in terms of how the quests shake out. That's perfectly fine, I love NV after all, but I don't think they're reinventing the wheel.

Jedi2016

...Reduce anxiety with help of blinders. Without them, Roach might fear to panic and throw you out of the saddle at the most inopportune moment. With blinders it will cease to be afraid of monsters and will deliver much less hassle while mounted combat.

(Horses in the game having two main characteristics: stamina and anxiety. The first is responsible for the time during which the mare can race at a gallop; the second - for the level of tranquility/panic. If somwhere near will show up a predator or a monster the anxiety begins to grow. - Elle's note.)
In the books, Geralt actually used a sign for this, to calm Roach down when they were near something unpleasant. That would have been a nice touch, but I guess if you're fighting from horseback, they wouldn't want the player to have to stop every so often to cast a sign to avoid being thrown. I wonder if there's a downside to blinders, like Roach not being able to properly follow roads/trails, or occasionally bumping into trees or something. I know that's not how blinders work, but this seems like a mechanic that would benefit from being more dynamic than just a flat improvement, by having a downside as well.

Daverid

I feel like the dialogue about the quests in this game is getting a bit weird. I get a general sense that people are expecting something fresh here, but what we've seen isn't really indicative of anything all that revolutionary. It's still "Talk to this person, initiate some dialogue with other NPC's, eventually kill a monster". There's a general tendency for people to bemoan fetch-quests and champion the fact that the game doesn't have it, but in a way, it still does: You'll have to gather materials to craft weapons and upgrades for your equipment.

I'm confident the game will be great and I'm excited to see the writing in the game, as it was pretty great in the last two. But I'm not really seeing where this game deviates all that much from the norm in terms of quests. Perhaps from different Dragon Age, but it seems to fall in line with say, New Vegas, in terms of how the quests shake out. That's perfectly fine, I love NV after all, but I don't think they're reinventing the wheel.

Yea I really doubt it's going to be all that much more complex than what we've seen in The Witcher 2, but that had the best questing I've experienced in any RPG. You're never going to entirely eliminate fetch/kill quests, but you can dress it up with incredible writing and offer interesting choices/consequences that take it beyond such a basic premise. The Witcher 2 did this well, even better than New Vegas IMO.

So I don't think it's about to reinvent the wheel in regards to RPG Questing, that's never going to happen from here on in I believe, but if they can continue to improve on what they did in The Witcher 2 (Better writing, more interesting scenarios, great characters etc), then it'll at the very least be the best questing we've seen in any RPG. Which while not some kind of grand innovation, is still a massive achievement.

Denton

Sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing! Also ubersampling is now coming at launch?! Yissss!

I don't think anyone will be able to use supersampling with anything less than 980Ti, and even that won't keep 60fps most likely. I wouldn't mind if they ommited it, if only for the lack of "this game runs like shiiiiiit" posts from people who will enable it without knowing any better.

viveks86

I don't think anyone will be able to use supersampling with anything less than 980Ti, and even that won't keep 60fps most likely. I wouldn't mind if they ommited it, if only for the lack of "this game runs like shiiiiiit" posts from people who will enable it without knowing any better.

I would think I could with a dual titan x! Though I would understand if they decide to lock it for now (in that case i'll just try the normal downsamling trick). I'd still like to be able to unlock it through an ini file or something. Can't wait to see how far it pushes the hardware

i-Lo

Game looks really good & scope seems aptly large (here's hoping C2077 follows suite). Hopefully, one day the game'll be on consoles too.

Mr.Mike

Game looks really good & scope seems aptly large (here's hoping C2077 follows suite). Hopefully, one day the game'll be on consoles too.

The game is coming to consoles though. Or do you mean C2077? I can't imagine that wouldn't come to consoles as well.

i-Lo

The game is coming to consoles though. Or do you mean C2077? I can't imagine that wouldn't come to consoles as well.

The Witcher 3. I haven't seen any console footage; are you sure? I'd guess after the second game, it would eventually come to xbone at least.

The Witcher 3. I haven't seen any console footage; are you sure? I'd guess after the second game, it would eventually come to xbone at least.

Of course The Witcher 3 is coming to consoles. They have basically only ever been demonstrating it with Console HUD and stuff.

Guri

The Witcher 3 is a simultaneous release on PC, PS4 and Xbox One. No pre-order in-game content exclusive bullshit. Same game everywhere, including free DLC along the way. Only pre-order bonuses are art books, soundtracks, etc.

The vids on gamersyde are all PC footage with xbox controller. Ergo, the hud.

That I know. But it doesnt change the fact that this game is coming to console... it is just they have rarely demod it on actual hardware.

THey did in January though.

i-Lo

The Witcher 3 is a simultaneous release on PC, PS4 and Xbox One. No pre-order in-game content exclusive bullshit. Same game everywhere, including free DLC along the way. Only pre-order bonuses are art books, soundtracks, etc.

simultaneously.. you sure? if that was the case wouldn't there be some substantial footage of the game on the consoles. This is CDPR, not some scummy company that'd mislead its potential console userbase with PC footage only. Plus, iirc, the game is being released in May on PC; before the second game came out for 360, a lot of footage preceded the actual launch of the game.

That I know. But it doesnt change the fact that this game is coming to console... it is just they have rarely demod it on actual hardware.

THey did in January though.

I have yet to see a single ps4 footage.

Denton

simultaneously.. you sure? if that was the case wouldn't there be some substantial footage of the game on the consoles. This is CDPR, not some scummy company that'd mislead its potential console userbase with PC footage only. Plus, iirc, the game is being released in May on PC; before the second game came out for 360, a lot of footage preceded the actual launch of the game.

They will show PS4 footage before release. Yes it is coming to all three at the same time.

Philippo

Dude, it's been confirmed for PC,PS4 and XBO since E3 2013.

viveks86

Doesn't matter. Game is releasing simultaneously on all 3 platforms. That's how it was announced and that's how it was maintained all along. Not sure why you are debating this when it has been made official. CDPR will be inclined to show the PC version because that's their DNA. The press has seen all 3. The xbox version was shown once a long time ago. The PS4 version would probably not be shown till launch as they have a marketing deal with MS.

misho8723

Banned
They already presented the XboxOne version of the game on stage - which you can see everywhere on the web, like YT,.. they had events where journalist could play the game on all 3 platforms, and they are planning to show the console versions of the game before the release in the form of videos, maybe screens, etc.

And there are already some screens of the PS4 version from Famitsu on the web, more than 6 months as of today

i-Lo

Doesn't matter. Game is releasing simultaneously on all 3 platforms. That's how it was announced and that's how it was maintained all along. Not sure why you are debating this when it has been made official. CDPR will be inclined to show the PC version because that's their DNA. The press has seen all 3. The xbox version was shown once a long time ago. The PS4 version would probably not be shown till launch as they have a marketing deal with MS.

It's because I held CDPR to perhaps a higher standard than I should have. Anyway, if they it's simultaneous then it should be so. I just hope the ps4 version turns out to be at least as competent as DAI pertaining to fidelity & performance as that's the version I'll eventually acquire.

tuxfool

Banned

In the Witcher 2 the text next to the ubersampling checkbox was in red, with a warning description for the option. People still selected it.

It's because I held CDPR to perhaps a higher standard than I should have. Anyway, if they it's simultaneous then it should be so. I just hope the ps4 version turns out to be at least as competent as DAI pertaining to fidelity & performance as that's the version I'll eventually acquire.
They said that the PS4 version is 1080p and 30fps, so it sounds like it's competent. Xbox version is 900p and I think CDPR are trying to optimize each console version to their fullest.

Denton

Most important piece of info since the game was announced:

attachment.php

I had the tatoo removed with Triss's help, did not want to have to explain that to Yennefer :)

In the Witcher 2 the text next to the ubersampling checkbox was in red, with a warning description for the option. People still selected it.

CDP made the mistake of including it in the ultra preset. So some people just select ultra and then complain without going into detailed settings. Hopefully it will be extra option in TW3 outside of presets.

Daverid

CDP made the mistake of including it in the ultra preset. So some people just select ultra and then complain without going into detailed settings. Hopefully it will be extra option in TW3 outside of presets.

Yea it being latched onto the Ultra preset was what screwed with some people. I don't know what kind of silly PC Gamers didn't actually bother to bring up the advanced menu, but they exist, and those people got in trouble.
I'd say Hairworks and Ubersampling won't be tied to any graphical preset (Or maybe a "Nvidia" preset similar to FC4), and you'll have to manually throw 'em on.

Also some other information from that same Twitter Q&A

-Camera is adjustable to a degree. Apparently you can Zoom with it, presumably closer/further away.
-Boats are destructible, you'll have to be careful of rocks and whatnot.
-Environment still has plenty of destruction. Seems like that Aard sequence in VGX would still be possible.
-There will be a big Gwent Tournament in the game
-No Hoods or Cloaks like the 'Killing Monsters' Trailer armour.
-200+ Hours if you do everything
-Apparently X1 > PC Minimum, but recommends PC due to the higher resolution
-3 best armour sets in the game have 5 tiers of upgrades. Different amount of upgrade levels for different sets.
-Game has "Acts" but it's only a convenience for the Writers, the game won't be split into Chapters the same way the previous games were.
-Some Monsters will simply never respawn

Jedi2016

I don't know what kind of silly PC Gamers didn't actually bother to bring up the advanced menu, but they exist, and those people got in trouble.
There's a guy at work that's like this. Cranks everything to absolute maximum and then bitches when it doesn't run well. "It's the PC version, it's supposed to be better". He doesn't understand the concept of settings or why anyone would want to run it at anything less than maximum. I don't know what kind of system he has, but probably middling at best based on the types of things he complains about and his general level of computer knowledge.

Kezen

Banned
There's a guy at work that's like this. Cranks everything to absolute maximum and then bitches when it doesn't run well. "It's the PC version, it's supposed to be better". He doesn't understand the concept of settings or why anyone would want to run it at anything less than maximum. I don't know what kind of system he has, but probably middling at best based on the types of things he complains about and his general level of computer knowledge.

Unfortunately he is not an outlier in the PC community, I see many like him on various PC forums.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I'm not exactly sure, but I think that it will be available when the game will be released in May. And if you have an nVidia card, you can enable HairWorks.

so HairWorks in this game is PC only? (on second thought this might explain why they didn't show it in video/trailers yet)

Kezen

Banned
so HairWorks in this game is PC only? (on second thought this might explain why they didn't show it in video/trailers yet)

Yes PC only. They did show it in PC gameplay videos.
Looks fantastic and it applies to many assets (characters, monsters).

Top Bottom