• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New trailer for Beyond: Two Souls - PS3's swan song?

Looks good, didn't really follow the game's cycle of news, is the gameplay Heavy Rain like?

if yes, won't buy. Heavy Rain was terrible IMO (not only because of the Gameplay of course but still)

Gameplay is more open environments to explore, and has a ghost trick style exploration/puzzle aspect too but yeah, if you hated HR gameplay then you probably won't like this.

DieH@rd

Banned
I don't think it's a very good idea to have too many exclusive launch titles. One or two is ok...I mean you expect people to buy an expensive system and one or two games on top. Providing too many launch titles will only hurt Sony. Especially in this case, since PS4 might be launching with Battlefield 4, Watch_Dogs etc

And AC4. There will be a ton 3rd party support for both nextgen consoles at launch.

I don't think it's a very good idea to have too many exclusive launch titles. One or two is ok...I mean you expect people to buy an expensive system and one or two games on top. Providing too many launch titles will only hurt Sony. Especially in this case, since PS4 might be launching with Battlefield 4, Watch_Dogs etc

Well Cerny has been touting a big launch lineup on two occasions so I dunno. I can see them doing a crossgen title for launch (mainly I expect Beyond especially cause there is nothing like it on PS4 launch for what we know, GT6 would go directly agains Driveclub ect.)

Those titles are cross-gen. My belief is you simply get as much content out there, even if it's not developed from the ground up for PS4, in order to increase demand for the system. That includes two high profile PS3 titles that are launching later this year - Beyond & GT6.

Sure, you could argue that there's "too much" content out there, but them being PS3 only doesn't help that. Beyond will still have to compete with other games during that timeframe. So I don't see your argument as being valid.

IHaveIce

Banned
Gameplay is more open environments to explore, and has a ghost trick style exploration/puzzle aspect too but yeah, if you hated HR gameplay then you probably won't like this.

Fuck :( All these nice looking playstation exclusives this year have some apsects that really turned me down on them.

Still hoping zombies/monsterthingys don't dominate Last of Us so I can enjoy it.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Not even going to spoil the game for myself but really getting annoyed with all the trolling that happens anytime Beyond or David Cage gets brought up in a thread.

Ce-Lin

Heavy Rain was a terrible game and i can't expect much more from this one.

terrible in your opinion, the game had legs and sold well, it was a good game and loved as much as hated over here, I think it was pretty good, in my opinion : )

DieH@rd

Banned
Im kinda sad that they did not use Ellen Page to say "only on playsation". They did it with Kratos for GoW:A, and it sounded great.

RayMaker

Banned
its like inception uncharted rdr the game.

I did quite enjoy heavy rain, the story was really enjoyable for me.

but when I watch this trailer it feels like i have done and seen it before in various games and films.
and whats with horses and desserts

first uncharted 3 then blops 2 and now this

after RDR every game with horses and dessert feels like an insult to me.

Oh, thought it was confirmed/hinted or something.

Meanwhile, de Fondaumière added further ambiguity to the ongoing speculation that Beyond, due out in October, will be ported to PS4.

Following mixed messages, we asked the Quantic Dream executive whether the game would be released for Sony's next-gen console.

"That's not been decided yet
," he replied.

dreamfall

That trailer was super impressive.

As someone who appreciates David Cage's games, I'm really excited. Heavy Rain remains one of the few titles I've Platinumed, specifically because I wanted to see every ending, and replay it several times. Fahrenheit was also really wonderful in many sections.

But here's to hoping someone else has written a coherent story. The plot holes in both games were very hard to overlook, especially when these experiences rely so heavily on the narrative. I also really dislike the buildup/frivolous use of sex in his games. If the characters could engage in casual sex- it would be totally fine. Instead, we've got ridiculous situations that make no sense, that usually involve sex at such strange times. It's also a shame that the Taxidermist DLC and some of the video footage for what was left on the Cutting room floor looked better than the entirety of HR. And some of the other controversies- terrible voice acting, some strange character selection, etc. definitely marred the experience.

I bought my PS3 with the Heavy Rain audition tech demo in mind. The use of Martina Topley-Bird in Carla's apartment scene was incredible. And Cage knows how to create wonderful vignettes & scenes that are truly spectacular. I'm hoping for a great game- start to finish, rather than a jumbled set of crazy moments~!

For a game that's so desperate to be a movie it sure does have some shitty voice acting. What the hell? Actor's of this pedigree should be able to slaughter this straight forward horse shit. Maybe I just don't understand David Cage's directing style. Whatever it is, it seems stifled.

The visuals however, are incredible. Really cool that the PS3 is still managing to pump out games that looks like this.

For a game that's so desperate to be a movie it sure does have some shitty voice acting. What the hell? Actor's of this pedigree should be able to slaughter this straight forward horse shit. Maybe I just don't understand David Cage's directing style. Whatever it is, it seems stifled.

The visuals however, are incredible. Really cool that the PS3 is still managing to pump out games that looks like this.
Now imagine if Deadly Premonition had those graphics...

Neiteio

Looks like a movie trailer.
*Cage reads this*

i8aRSowW2JbX.gif

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Is the hope for more crossgen ports based on PS4 not having BC? That's the only reason I can see for people being so eager to play a bunch of PS3 ports on their next gen machine.

What part of that looked PS4? All of it looked like it could be done on PS3 to me. Looks a lot like Heavy Rain, in fact.

Indeed. When Quantic Dream shows a PS4 games, there won't be any question whether it looks next gen or not.

Strike

Some really impressive scenes there. Hopefully they'll be able to iron out most of the technical hitches by release.

It's still an interactive story similar to Heavy Rain. However, it plays more like a traditional adventure and will have puzzles.

Main differences to Heavy Rain:

• Mostly 3rd person camera. Slightly directed and sways a bit to points of high interest, but never too far away from the character
  • Walking/running entirely realized with the left analogue stick. No more R2 tank controls like Heavy Rain
  • Interacting with objects is still on the right stick, but no weird motions required anymore and everything can be triggered with an up/down flick
  • Combat also works around this idea, effectively making the need to remember all the buttons irrelevant
  • Different difficulty settings just like Heavy Rain, hardest one requires more inputs or has stricter timing, easy mode (for non-gamers) streamlines most of it
  • During 90% of the game you can switch at any point to Aiden (the entity) by pressing the triangle button
  • You solve puzzles with Aiden by manipulating the environment and possessing people. You control him freely with both sticks like a first person camera
  • Dialogue choices just like Heavy Rain, combined with branching paths and multiple endings
  • There are several free-roaming areas where you can use vehicles and horses to explore your environment freely
  • Fight scenes only use the right analogue stick and general action scenes require direct input (e.g. running through a forest while chased and you have to find a way out)

Watch
I don't see how this is any worse than any other video game on the market, the VA is solid.
People are crazy. One journalist seriously complained after watching the demo that one guy used the word "reckon", since no one apparently talks like that in real life and it took him out of the entire experience somehow. In the same sentence he raved about ND's amazing dialogue in TLOU, but in the freaking story trailer for that game there is also a guy that uses the same fucking word. But somehow it is worse in a David Cage game.

He will never be able to please these people apparently.

Neiteio said:
That 30-minute Gamespot analysis of the gameplay has sold me. SOLD ME.

YOU WIN THIS TIME, CAGE!
Finally dude. I posted this video to you about 300 times in every thread where you expressed your disappointment with the material released so far. I knew you would like this :D

They really need to tone down the ambient lighting. Makes everything look flat. That shot in the desert is particularly bad.

And the dead-eye syndrome remains.

Replicant

The story looks depressing, even more so than Heavy Rain. I hope there's multiple ending for it though.

People who said that this has weak voice acting obviously never played many games, including but not limited to: Star Ocean 4.

Top Bottom