• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Valkyria (Media Vision, RPG [not SRPG], new world) and VC1 Remaster for PS4 (JP)

Yazuka

I saw someone write that they hoped Yuki Kajiura would do the music for the game. That would be awesome! I love her music and I would love to hear her music in a videogame again. I personally would prefer it to Hitoshi Sakimoto music. But I'm probably pretty alone with that.

cover for Valkyria Chronicle remaster

CUJScT0UcAA6BW6.jpg:orig

Also, Chinese localization for the remaster confirmed.

Beautiful.
Hope there are some serious improvements for PS4 owners.

So I finally read the Famitsu article talking about the remaster...

- Valkyria Chronicles 1 PS3 has shipped over 1 million units worldwide.
- All the DLC for VC1 is included in the PS4 remaster just like the PC version.

However they recommitted to resolutions, and didn't mention framerate, so it's likely the remaster will stay at 30fps, which will be a bummer.

Well, now I understand a bit more why SEGA is pursuing this franchise.

Majek

Aaaaah i want that . I'll even take Asian version if it has english text like Demon's souls back in the day.

edit: even if it's not SRPG ...

If SEGA is going to take control of this rampant skepticism of their direction for reintroducing the Valkyria series, they need to release a trailer.

And not just any trailer, a damn good one, for both the Remaster and for AR.

You promised us a focus on quality, SEGA - will you deliver?

So, considering we've got no word on the Remaster being 60FPS despite the PC version working perfectly at 1080/60 on hardware lesser to the PS4... Who wants to take a bet that the team doing the remaster decided to port it from the PS3 again rather than swallow their pride and re-use the existing x86 code? I mean, given the year and a half gap between the PC release and the PS4 version, I'd venture a guess that the PC port's commissioning wasn't for the sake of a PS4 release back when it was made.

I mean, SoJ has made far weirder decisions.

Eww Darcsens.

Falk

that puzzling face
I would say no word on framerate would be just about as bizarre a decision as not using the PC port as a base, as in it's kind of too early to say at this point.

Or, for all you know, remaster could end up being both 60fps AND not based on the PC port. Or based on the PC port AND 30fps. Because.

Media Vision are competent though, so giving the benefit of doubt until something is mentioned.

jett

D-Member
This looks literally nothing like Valkyria Chronicles.

I'm have to put my hype level in check for now.

I would say no word on framerate would be just about as bizarre a decision as not using the PC port as a base, as in it's kind of too early to say at this point.

Or, for all you know, remaster could end up being both 60fps AND not based on the PC port. Or based on the PC port AND 30fps. Because.

Media Vision are competent though, so giving the benefit of doubt until something is mentioned.

You could run VC on PC at 60fps but it messed up the attack power/speed during battles. This will probably be 30fps.

SephLuis

I haven't played the PC port, but didn't 60fps changed a few things regarding the game balance ? If it did, I am betting they would go for 30fps so they won't have to change that.

Shadoken

I just find it odd that Sega is continuing this franchise with 1 million on PS3. But were hesitant with Bayonetta and Vanquish which shipped over a million in their launch years too.

I was under the impression it was the 500k on Steam that sort of pushed them.

Nyoro SF

You could run VC on PC at 60fps but it messed up the attack power/speed during battles. This will probably be 30fps.

This has not been true for a very long time and I really wish people would stop repeating this.

I haven't played the PC port, but didn't 60fps changed a few things regarding the game balance ? If it did, I am betting they would go for 30fps so they won't have to change that.

It made the game harder, but the base game was already ridiculously easy so the change made the game better. Also they fixed it in a patch afterwards.

They can make the remaster 60fps if they want to put in the work, but given that it wasn't announced, I'm willing to bet easily that they won't make it 60fps. Which is a shame as the game can run quite easily on even the least powerful computers meaning there's no way the PS4 can't handle it.

I just find it odd that Sega is continuing this franchise with 1 million on PS3. But were hesitant with Bayonetta and Vanquish which shipped over a million in their launch years too.

I'm surprised as well. I guess I can't complain though. If there's one thing to note it's that this feels once again that Sega Japan is looking at this purely as a Japan-focused endeavor, so I think they're going to make the same mistake when it comes to pushing it worldwide again (if they even try to push it worldwide...). It wouldn't surprise me at all if Sega Japan didn't even acknowledge the PC version of the game despite its success.

Shahed

The 500k on Steam most definitely helps, especially going forward. But it's also far too recent for that to be an important factor. It hasn't been that long since it's release and this looks too far along for anything to have hinged on it. It might be the reason we're getting a PS4 remaster though.

Nyoro SF

The 500k on Steam most definitely helps, especially going forward. But it's also far too recent for that to be an important factor. It hasn't been that long since it's release and this looks too far along for anything to have hinged on it. It might be the reason we're getting a PS4 remaster though.

I do not think the PC version had anything to do with the remaster though (given that if that was the case, we would have a localization announcement already) I think the remaster came about because Sega Japan's just trying to push the brand hard period and a remaster is an easy and cheap way of bringing people up to speed on Chronicles.

SephLuis

It made the game harder, but the base game was already ridiculously easy so the change made the game better. Also they fixed it in a patch afterwards.

They can make the remaster 60fps if they want to put in the work, but given that it wasn't announced, I'm willing to bet easily that they won't make it 60fps. Which is a shame as the game can run quite easily on even the least powerful computers meaning there's no way the PS4 can't handle it.

I'm surprised as well. I guess I can't complain though. If there's one thing to note it's that this feels once again that Sega Japan is looking at this purely as a Japan-focused endeavor, so I think they're going to make the same mistake when it comes to pushing it worldwide again (if they even try to push it worldwide...). It wouldn't surprise me at all if Sega Japan didn't even acknowledge the PC version of the game despite its success.

If it made changed to balance, I am expecting 30fps then. I don't think 60fps is a strong selling point in Japan as is in the West, so it's very probable they went with the PS3 port as the base (which to me would make no sense at all, since the PS4 architecture is closer to a regular PC).

I truly hope that those days of Sega Japan and Sega America butting heads are gone after they restructure the entire company.

Valkyria getting a new chance might be Sega's way to acknowledge middle tier titles as a good way to earn revenue. I don't think they expect the series to magically pull millions overnight, so they probably gave this a modest budget and are expecting modest sales, which was not the case with Bayonetta and Vanquish, where they were expecting some magical numbers I guess.

Actually, to be fair though, the PC version has two rather big bugs that don't exist in the PS3 version - Regardless of framerate.

1. Ghirlandaio ladder glitch
2. Edelweiss movement bugs (Can't ascend slopes greater than 30 degrees, and jitters/waste AP when moving the camera)

I guess those two things will be the Calling Cards the PS4 version will have if it's built off the PC port. Unless SoJ decided to finally fix them when doing the PS4 port.

Falk

that puzzling face
Does the Edelweiss bug exist with controller? Seemed like an issue with M&KB controls there, since it tried to orient itself to mouse orientation.

JohnTH

No it doesn't, and neither does it happen if you use the numpad to rotate the camera. That bug only occurs with the mouse.

And I thought tanks being unable to climb steep slopes was a 60 FPS bug too?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Out of curiosity, does the PC version still have stability issues? I remember the thing being a bit of a mess when it launched.

jett

D-Member
This has not been true for a very long time and I really wish people would stop repeating this.

Oh well, I haven't played it since I finished it when it came out. I played 90% of the game with the bug in place lol. I only went back to 30fps when I finally reached a mission that was way too fucking hard with the bug. Some of the challenge missions were legit impossible though.

OMG...screens look absolutely beautiful. Don't care what genre they want to tackle, I hope it's good, absolutely 100% onboard by first impressions.

Ubernube

If there's 1 thing I hope they do and get right with the game, it's the combat system. Even if its an ARPG, it'd be nice if they do something unique with it. A nice thought would be that they're hopefully aiming for Revolution to be to ARPGs what Chronicles was to SRPGs, a bit of a unique take on the genre/formula.

If there's 1 thing I hope they do and get right with the game, it's the combat system. Even if its an ARPG, it'd be nice if they do something unique with it. A nice thought would be that they're hopefully aiming for Revolution to be to ARPGs what Chronicles was to SRPGs, a bit of a unique take on the genre/formula.

My thoughts exactly. I want it to be a satisfying, unique game - not just any generic JARPG.

Nyoro SF

New trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rNJFn0VU5I

Doesn't show much, but it confirms what we've seen so far is a cutscene, not gameplay (to be expected, that level of quality for in-game on a PS4 title would be bonkers). Screenshots that you saw came from this trailer.

Looks like they're calling the game "1.0 version" as the demo code supplied by the Remaster. So they are serious about taking feedback from the demo to adjust the game as necessary.

Draxal

There's a lot of merchandise for the game.

Falk

that puzzling face
New trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rNJFn0VU5I

Doesn't show much, but it confirms what we've seen so far is a cutscene, not gameplay (to be expected, that level of quality for in-game on a PS4 title would be bonkers). Screenshots that you saw came from this trailer.

Looks like they're calling the game "1.0 version" as the demo code supplied by the Remaster. So they are serious about taking feedback from the demo to adjust the game as necessary.

So wait, a franchise that was traditionally not an action genre, has an existing entry getting a HD remaster for PS4, that when you buy it includes a download code for a trial version of an upcoming newest entry in the franchise that happens to be a more action-based departure, labelled '1.0' and intended to gather feedback, implying a possible 2.0 etc.

Throw in 'spinoff' somewhere in there.

... I WISH I HADN'T SHAVED RECENTLY, SO THAT I WOULD HAVE A BEARD THAT I CAN STROKE.

So wait, a franchise that was traditionally not an action game, has an existing entry getting a HD remaster for PS4, that when you buy it includes a download code for a trial version of an upcoming newest entry in the franchise that happens to be a more action-based departure, labelled '1.0' and intended to gather feedback, implying a possible 2.0 etc.

... I WISH I HADN'T SHAVED RECENTLY, SO THAT I WOULD HAVE A BEARD THAT I CAN STROKE.

Spiderman-I-See-What-You-Did-There.jpg

But the PC version of that HD remaster came out a year and a half before instead of 5 months later. And a high-quality port at that with uncapped FPS and full resolution options.

C-C-C-Combo Breaker!

Miff

Looks like the remaster has improved lighting? Note also the lighting on Edy's character model.

Given that most of the game is daytime it might not make much of a difference, but interested to see what else they do.

ugvxrgA.png

(Just a really quick comparison of youtube PS3 footage against the website)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Looks like the remaster has improved lighting? Interested to see what else they do.
ugvxrgA.png

That's great, so it isn't just a straight port after all...they are putting in effort to change certain in game elements

*edit* or not? :(

raven777

Looks like the remaster has improved lighting? Note also the lighting on Edy's character model.

Given that most of the game is daytime it might not make much of a difference, but interested to see what else they do.

ugvxrgA.png

umm.. no

this is the same shot in PS3

CUQNYW2VAAAOX8C.jpg:orig

Xenus

So wait, a franchise that was traditionally not an action genre, has an existing entry getting a HD remaster for PS4, that when you buy it includes a download code for a trial version of an upcoming newest entry in the franchise that happens to be a more action-based departure, labelled '1.0' and intended to gather feedback, implying a possible 2.0 etc.

Falk why to do you hate no shave November?

Also hope it comes west then I buy the game 3 times. :)

the following quote from Gematsu and Gamespot makes me quite worried about the sequel
one of the great things in Valkyria Chronicles is that you control only one character while no other model is in action (except for auto-shooting), that way you can perfectly plan all of your actions

now with several characters moving simultaneously, or even worse some of them being AI-controlled while you move with a certain character, this could imo destroy the appeal of the game

According to the site, the game's battle mechanics are called "LeGION," and is described as a real-time system with simulation elements, much like the previous game. It is suggested, however, multiple characters will be able to act simultaneously.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-valkyria-chronicles-sequel-and-remake-in-devel/1100-6432344/

the following quote from Gematsu and Gamespot makes me quite worried about the sequel
one of the great things in Valkyria Chronicles is that you control only one character while no other model is in action (except for auto-shooting), that way you can perfectly plan all of your actions

now with several characters moving simultaneously, or even worse some of them being AI-controlled while you move with a certain character, this could imo destroy the appeal of the game

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-valkyria-chronicles-sequel-and-remake-in-devel/1100-6432344/

giphy.gif

It's not much of an SRPG so I doubt it matters.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

Like Kuro-Law said, it's not a "Chronicles" games (SRPG) rather a spin off RPG, so it shouldn't really be an issue.

ugvxrgA.png

I just hope they'll offer some of the additions for the PC version as well.

Top Bottom