• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox One Rumors: PS4 PSN > XBL, snap crashes games, ES RAM life long bottleneck

Status
Not open for further replies.

ypo

Penello seems unconcerned, but I'm not sure the tweets make much sense, since we know the Titanfall footage is stock:

udhknNj.png

Never change Penello.

I would assume he means the other logos/brands that will show up in tiles. Although I have no idea. I still want a UI video.

Before everyone completely freaks out, this is the (most likely) correct answer. If "Doritos" or "Mountain Dew," for example, show up in one of the ads, they have to pay for the licensing fees.

However, it is still BS because commercials pay for the licensing all the time. You throw them some money and put the copyrights in the fine print at the bottom.

Microsoft has plenty of money to use in this situation, and there is no way they wouldn't just pay the licensing fees and show the people what they want to see versus being super-secretive about it and making people wonder about the mystery.

gcubed

as long as they are all software bugs there is no reason to delay it. Delaying the console would do more damage then releasing an unfinished OS. They should just disable the features that don't work and turn them on as they finish them. Remove snap, etc.

Raist

Banned
Must be awesome to work at MS

Hey guys, so what's CoD running at ag-
You don't need to know.

Hey guys, people would like a real-time UI de-
They don't need to see it.

Pic for the lazy:

http://i.imgur.com/jQa7nBt.png[IMG]

[b]Albert said they would give us a OS walkthrough weeks ago, they couldn't work out licensing in a few weeks?[/b][/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'd figure that they'd have something worked out by now.
But I guess press is getting hands on it now so it can't be that long until we have videos and impressions.

Rojo

Damn news just flying left and right. Its been interesting reading through all of this and this still isnt the really bad one that CBOAT mentioned right?

We seem to have a lot of Xbox Only insiders that seem to only hear about bad stuff.

What is this nonsense? FM is by far a bigger Sony insider
Thurway has both systems info
Matt is a Multiplat dev
Proelite has info on both systems
Liquid metal has mostly Sony info

Venderus Only seems to know sony stuff

The only Real Ms only Insider is CBOAT and he has leaked plenty postive microsoft info in the past.

stktt

Banned
Penello seems unconcerned, but I'm not sure the tweets make much sense, since we know the Titanfall footage is stock:

udhknNj.png

That explains why we've been waiting on Albert and Larry to demo the UI for months. They can't obtain the rights to do so!

I would assume he means the other logos/brands that will show up in tiles. Although I have no idea. I still want a UI video.

If's that's the issue they could just show with MS first party games, or even fake titles like Sony did. Most people won't care.
They want to see the UI in motion. How it works.
It's not the "looks" that people are concerned about, right?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
A representation? Licensing issues for your OWN UI?

lolz.

Probably for the ads or movie tiles in there - other content that you might need clearance to put in what could be classed an advertisement/promo video.

Sony's gamescom UI was just games games games so they could just use their own content, nothing to negotiate with other parties. Games focus wins again ;)

Petrae

This is why you never buy a console at launch - ever.

I don't know if that should be a general rule, but looking back... I got just as much-- and maybe even more-- enjoyment out of the Xbox 360 when I bought it in 2009 than I've received from buying any console at launch. I wound up getting a unit that wasn't as susceptible to failure as early X360s, there were more (and cheaper) games available, and there was a wider base of users.

3DS was the last time that I've ever buy hardware at launch. Weak software, launch drought, price drop before long. I overpaid and wound up getting little enjoyment out of it. It's better to wait things out and then jump in after the the coast is clear on the hardware side and the software lineup is more populated. Plus not having to pay an Early Adopter Tax is a bonus.

All that said, it's what I do. If folks simply have to have the new hardware at launch, that's their call. I wouldn't presume to tell others how to spend their money.

slider

FFS, MS. If these rumours all come to fruition... I'd be lost for words. Especially on the software side. That "execs interfering" thing is really astounding.

No plans to get the Xbone but I'd have to be pretty damn stupid to be happy at MS leaving this arena.

Now I'm gonna imagine MS delaying (perhaps even to mid gen) and further try to imagine how that'd potentially shake things up.

PBY

Banned
Before everyone completely freaks out, this is the correct answer. If "Doritos" or "Mountain Dew," for example, show up in one of the ads, they have to pay for the licensing fees.

However, it is still BS because commercials pay for the licensing all the time. You throw them some money and put the copyrights in the fine print at the bottom.

Microsoft has plenty of money to use in this situation, and there is no way they wouldn't just pay the licensing fees and show the people what they want to see versus being super-secretive about it and making people wonder about the mystery.

You can't just pay the license fees preemptively without a contract prewritten. Shit has to go through their internal legal department, gets outsourced to an outside law firm, which then goes to the brands outside counsel, and then back to the brands internal legal department.

I would imagine snapping functions, to say movies and games raise licensing issues as well, especially since they would be used in a promotional capacity for MS.

Man... at the risk of sounding like an apologist. No shit. But those licensing deals don't get done over night.

There are probably other alternatives, but licensing is a bitch and a half.

Oh I agree. They really don't.

But when has MS not done a live demo of shit? What about when they showed off the new dashboards for 360? What about the Smartglass demo?

I'm supposed to believe that NOW of all times they forgot to prep a live demo of their UI with dummy content?

Then Penello straight up said 'this video is a representative, UI will work the same'

Is this freaking Killzone 2 UI Edition

MDX

This is outside my tech comfort zone but Shin'en stated that deferred rendering is not an issue on Wii U, wich they initially thought.

Wii U has 32mb of edram.

So why is it a bottleneck on Xbox One if it isn't for Wii U?

(Heres the tweets: https://twitter.com/ShinenGames/status/366904891643400193 ; https://twitter.com/ShinenGames/status/366905692105359361)

EDIT: Just asking out of curiosity

XB1'S eSRAM is used differently that WiiU's eDRAM
For example, WiiU's eDRAM is one block of 32MB sitting in the GPU but accessible by the CPU.

eSRAM is broken down into 4 blocks of 8MB. And I believe the CPU doesn't really have access to it.

Amir0x

Banned
Is it the not the same or is flooding from all corridors without distinction? Kinda makes it sound the same.

PS4 has a had a small stream of bad news, but nothing that would cause a flood. The flooding is really coming from one quarter right now.

Why is everyone so concerned that I tabulate the score correctly in this console war? I know there is relatively more shit flooding from one corridor, I'm just saying in general there has been a lot of negative shit coming from everywhere. I'm not saying it's equal proportions or making any claim on that score, 'cause honestly I don't care who is winning on that score. We're all losing anyway :p

Still a bullshit excuse and easily remedied (either by using an internal version or by blurring out the ads in simple video editing software).

Yes indeed ... I just did not have the heart to call him out further on Twitter. They are in the frying pan already IMO.

Pop

Man... y'all are not being fair with the licensing issues here. Theres a lot of stuff being ignored, oversimplified, etc re: that issue.

But there are ways to show it if they really wanted to, ie blurring out a bunch of stuff.

Dude come on. It's due to the dash being filled with ads. Now for them to not just remove them for a quick video, seems lazy.

FuturusX

The driver is a beast. That is freaking skills

OT:

I recall that there used to be a special "gear" that essential spins the wheels in opposing directions to make a Formula One car do that. I think that's still the case.

Having said that Botas pulled it off nicely.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Damn news just flying left and right. Its been interesting reading through all of this and this still isnt the really bad one that CBOAT mentioned right?

I just wonder what will I see in the morning, when I log on to this board.

Gorillaz

Right now GAF is just a big pimple.

every tweet and rumor about the xbox one is a bunch of oil and dirt building up in that pimple

and as soon as bish or cboat squeak they will be the squeeze of doom from the fingers of information

the juicy, puss like truth will squirt and ooze out all over us.
what is....I don't even...
what-the-f-tom-delonge.gif

Pennywise

Man... y'all are not being fair with the licensing issues here. Theres a lot of stuff being ignored, oversimplified, etc re: that issue.

But there are ways to show it if they really wanted to, ie blurring out a bunch of stuff.

And that's the whole point...
Even if there are these issues, they could be easily avoided...

cilonen

Ditto. I want to learn how to drive like that!

It's Valtteri Bottas during a practice session for the F1 Monaco GP, he got the breaking wrong for the right hander (the track actually goes round where the PS4 label has been shopped on) and ran into a runoff escape road, instead of stopping he just span the car out of the escape lane and carried on :)

Foffy

Banned
Probably for the ads or movie tiles in there - other content that you might need clearance to put in what could be classed an advertisement/promo video.

Sony's gamescom UI was just games games games so they could just use their own content, nothing to negotiate with other parties. Games focus wins again ;)

Couldn't they just disable all of that gunk and put placeholder pictures and/or text, and state so in the video? It's like he's really trying to hide under a very, very small umbrella. Or fuck, just use first party stuff...

UNCMark

Banned
If this is true he just admitted to the UI being full of paid advertisements. And damn I get home from university and there have 3 mega threads come and go good god.

No, he's saying that stuff like TV shows can't be demoed without persmission. My answer to that is show something you do own. Like the Halo TV show they made last year.

You can't just pay the license fees preemptively without a contract prewritten. Shit has to go through their internal legal department, gets outsourced to an outside law firm, which then goes to the brands outside counsel, and then back to the brands internal legal department.

I would imagine snapping functions, to say movies and games raise licensing issues as well, especially since they would be used in a promotional capacity for MS.

Yeah, which, unless I'm misunderstanding something, they've had plenty of time to do over the past couple months. I certainly understand that they can't show it now because of the licensing issues, but they could have completely avoided this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom