• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox One Rumors: PS4 PSN > XBL, snap crashes games, ES RAM life long bottleneck

Status
Not open for further replies.

njean777

Man... y'all are not being fair with the licensing issues here. Theres a lot of stuff being ignored, oversimplified, etc re: that issue.

But there are ways to show it if they really wanted to, ie blurring out a bunch of stuff.

We just do not accept BS. Plain and simple if you want to dispel these rumors blur out all the adds that are plastered on the dash and show all the stuff working.

dosh

io734RtyZirXV.gif
I'm not worthy.

Donnie

Somethings seems very confused with this whole eSRAM thing. To describe a super low latency super high bandwidth pool of memory as a bottleneck makes about as much sense as a chocolate fire guard.

XB1'S eSRAM is used differently that WiiU's eDRAM
For example, WiiU's eDRAM is one block of 32MB sitting in the GPU but accessible by the CPU.

eSRAM is broken down into 4 blocks of 8MB. And I believe the CPU doesn't really have access to it.

Is this official?, I hadn't heard anything about this (then again I haven't been looking closely at XBox One). So we're talking about four 8MB blocks and each is separate? (so you have to split buffers if they're bigger than 8MB?).

Oh my god.

This is a scam and a half. You can easily negotiate this with companies. It's done all the goddamn time. See Samsung's new SmartTV as an example. Their commercial has content so they can show off the UI.

Either Microsoft didn't think of doing that, or shit is going wonky

Can't they equally just fucking blur out the ads/3rd party content?

The fact that Yoshida can debunk the COD 720 video with a "So Stupid" and Pennello can't do the same... it's just worlds apart these two

GodofWine

Im trying to comprehend this.

3 weeks from launch and MS doesnt have licensing to show adds or videos of ads of their UI?? And if true, they havent made an add free version to show?? Just put MS products on screen, skype, games, ms.com???

I mean, put on QVC or Home Shopping, when they sell dells with windows, they have all the tiles there and show how it works.

No, I dont know the finer details here, but this one looks odd.

PBY

Banned
Yeah, which, unless I'm misunderstanding something, they've had plenty of time to do over the past couple months. I certainly understand that they can't show it now because of the licensing issues, but they could have completely avoided this situation.

Well thats the issue. MS just kind of assumed their mockup video would be sufficient. If yall want a real walkthrough and MS wants to give it to you, licensing issues prevent them from giving you an instantly uploaded vid.

Not disagreeing w/ yall that MS has been lagging haaaard though.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
If Sony was smart, they would release a walkthrough of their OS this week.

It won't happen, but it would be smart.

I told you that it's a terrible job to have. How can you get through a day having to respond to a message like that on Twitter and just lie through your teeth? Someone want's a live, real walkthrough, not a simulated for commercial experience. And then to bring up licensing...as the reason? BS.

Is it crazy that I acknowledge all these problems yet still want the system. KI, Forza 5 and Ryse look hot.

Maybe it helps that I am also getting a PS4

Before everyone completely freaks out, this is the (most likely) correct answer. If "Doritos" or "Mountain Dew," for example, show up in one of the ads, they have to pay for the licensing fees.

However, it is still BS because commercials pay for the licensing all the time. You throw them some money and put the copyrights in the fine print at the bottom.

Microsoft has plenty of money to use in this situation, and there is no way they wouldn't just pay the licensing fees and show the people what they want to see versus being super-secretive about it and making people wonder about the mystery.
It'd be the movies and TV clips they show.

But they could easily just not show the TV and movie or music functions.

hawk2025

Albert said they would give us a OS walkthrough weeks ago, they couldn't work out licensing in a few weeks?

That's what I'm wondering.

How long ago was that, here on GAF? Over a month?

Worst case scenario, is it not ok to blurry the ads and snap to video by using a stock Microsoft video instead of a licensed movie?

How come they obtained the license to show Pacific Rim in the mock up but not in a proper demonstration?

I'm even ok with not showing movie switching at all -- show us snapping with IE, Skype, Friends List, and switching between those. Boom, no ads or licensing issues required.

Hearing PSN being ahead of XBL is like some Hell freezing over type shit.

I would have never imagined such launch for the XboxOne.....

However Microsoft has a bit of a history in fucking things up ....

I mean even for what it is considered their "successful" console, the 360, they had to spend around 1bn $ for hardware problems. Not exactly a good track record.

RibMan

If this is true then Microsoft should delay the console. A delayed product is better than a broken product.

They will lose valuable market share and mind share, but ultimately, people's first impression of the console should be positive and not disastrously negative.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

What? This would be something that you know in advance. How hard is it to plan demos of your UI and prepare a setup without real movies and music, or to negotiate appropriate terms of use? They are obviously allowed to show screenshots anyway.

Somethings getting very confused with this whole eSRAM thing. To describe a super low latency super high bandwidth pool of memory as a bottleneck makes about as much sense as a chocolate fire guard.

It can be a "bottleneck" if you're comparing it to another solution which is high bandwith and wider.

Gestault

Penello seems unconcerned, but I'm not sure the tweets make much sense, since we know the Titanfall footage is stock:

udhknNj.png

Dude, I normally bristle at the way Penello gets kicked around here, but that answer is laughable.

If the answer is "this was the real UI, we just trimmed out the parts that show the bits still under construction," say that.

If the answer is "there are the sort of small, annoying bugs visible in the current build that are on schedule to be addressed leading up to the launch," say that.

If the answer is "press release materials are further from the actual development environment than you assume, so there's a big delay from what we're working with now," say that.

If the answer is "We've got some newly introduced issues with the way the different elements interact in our test environment," just say nothing and don't bullshit us.

My goodness... how could Microsoft have screwed up this bad? It's as if they've never made a console before!

It's pretty obvious when you look at the thing that there was some serious differing views as to what the thing should be. The question is whether it was a tug of war between suits and engineers, engineers vs engineers, suits vs suits, etc. Etc.

Not even taking account to rumors like this thread, just from what we have officially gotten from microsoft, the xbox one makes little sense. It's a mess that lacks direction

Hell, they keep saying xbox one, one box for your living room but you have to plug in cable box. That fucked reasoning defeats the purpose of all in one.

Take matrick leaving. What kind of boss leaves 5 months before what is likely going to be the biggest consumer product microsoft launches for the next 5 years. It's not like that shit happened over night. That contract would have taken a lot of time to draft and finalize.

Seriously, there has/was been a shit storm in microsoft that nobody knows about but is blatantly obvious and has been hinted to.

RulkezX

I'm sure all these brands don't want the free exposure being in XO ads would bring.

Such a bullshit excuse, and those tweets should be called out if the OS isn't exactly as is shown in that video ( in the US, coming to the rest of the world sometime between now and who the fuck knows*)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Well thats the issue. MS just kind of assumed their mockup video would be sufficient. If yall want a real walkthrough and MS wants to give it to you, licensing issues prevent them from giving you an instantly uploaded vid.

Not disagreeing w/ yall that MS has been lagging haaaard though.

It would literally take them 10 minutes or less to blur out any unlicensed content with After Effects.

Somethings getting very confused with this whole eSRAM thing. To describe a super low latency super high bandwidth pool of memory as a bottleneck makes about as much sense as a chocolate fire guard.

Super low latency and super high bandwidth, all 32 megs of it.

The fact that Yoshida can debunk the COD 720 video with a "So Stupid" and Pennello can't do the same... it's just worlds apart these two

Microsoft is trying to control the damage as long as they can, Sony is riding a wave of goodwill since E3.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Tim Dog is on the case!

Tim Dog ‏@PNF4LYFE
@albertpenello @Sloane___Ranger @thevowel But agendaGAF says different. Commercial comes out followed by rumors shooting the ui down?

Feorax

Really? I'll be stunned if it isn't - at least partially.

Games press have had a pretty poor record with this stuff. Outside of Garnett Lee's twitter (later weekend confirmed podcast), and one IGN article (posted today), no one gave a shit about 720p Ghosts, likely because of the source of said rumour.

I expect a lot of outlets to treat this with similar distain, then act blindsided if/when it all comes to light in a couple of weeks.

boingball

Launch day will be glorious. Unfortunately we wont be able to see it happening on NeoGAF, since the site will be down.

I am not surprised that the OS has issues, PS4 will not work right out of the box and neither will the xbone. The latter one seems to have more issue currently, but what did they expect? Putting three OSes into the box. In a year both will look much different though, I expect them both to improve the OSes (well, I would be more cautious with Sony, they have not fixed the 100 apps limit on the Vita yet).

Hardware issues are more problematic, they will not be fixed during the lifetime of the console. There might be ways to optimize the code, but again if the xbone does not sell that well compared to the PS4, why would anyone care? There were a lot of devs/publishers who did not care to optimize PS3 code (e.g. Bethesda with Skyrim).

bluehat9

Broken snap feature has to have been the big news that cboat was hinting at. I mean what could be bigger aside from something like Kinect not working anywhere at launch or the system melting if you play it for over an hour at a time?

DeviantBoi

The current state of PSN or XBL on next gen consoles is does not concern me much.

It's the state at launch that matters.

A lot of things always come together at the last minute.

Pop

If Sony was smart, they would release a walkthrough of their OS this week.

It won't happen, but it would be smart.

Time for a strike! That would seal the deal.

But Sony seems to be waiting until the review event thing to show off everything.

kyser73

What if TV passthrough is wonky - not that it would matter for us, but what if CBoaT's bomb is that the Xbox One can't reliably do the major things that MS themselves have been hyping the crap out of.

For it to be a real clusterfuck it has to transcend the kind of stuff we flip our shit over on NeoGAF (resolutions, driver crashes, TFLOPS and ram specs) and actually cross into mainstream consciousness. If, day one, it can't do the things MS trumpeted at the reveal then in the eye of the consumer, it's screwed and MS have a real PR shitstorm on their hands.

If, as gamers, we can hook it up and at least get a game to boot, play and have fun with then it might not be so bad for purely gaming early adopters, but if people are buying into the vision of a media center and it's about as useful as a Betamax player, then it's going to be a real disaster for the brand.

That would basically invalidate the whole raison d'être[/] of the One.

Wow. That would probably kill it. It'd be another 3DO.

Into

You are telling me, that one of worlds leading software companies does not have access to video software to blur/obstruct the logos? Really?

Amateurs on YouTube can do this, but this company that spent half a billion dollars on a NFL license cannot??

There is more here, its as obvious as it gets

Piss poor reasoning there. It hasn't stopped them in the past doing videos once betas have finished and launch is imminent for new dashboards.

If this is true then Microsoft should delay the console. A delayed product is better than a broken product.

They will lose valuable market share and mind share, but ultimately, people's first impression of the console should be positive and not disastrously negative.

What's the point? They would have inventory sitting on retailer's shelves while they are working on a patch. They have been manufacturing the boxes for a couple of months now.

They could do that, cut the ads, etc etc etc.

What a bullshit answer. Come on Albert. You could be straight up and I bet it'd go better.

tkalamba

Before everyone completely freaks out, this is the (most likely) correct answer. If "Doritos" or "Mountain Dew," for example, show up in one of the ads, they have to pay for the licensing fees.

However, it is still BS because commercials pay for the licensing all the time. You throw them some money and put the copyrights in the fine print at the bottom.

Microsoft has plenty of money to use in this situation, and there is no way they wouldn't just pay the licensing fees and show the people what they want to see versus being super-secretive about it and making people wonder about the mystery.

Or any of the movies they have, or the specific content apps like Crackle and whatnot. Still works the same way, doesn't have to be ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom